April 18, 2024, 03:31:19 PM

Author Topic: Our heroes: Wired868's shortlist of T&T football stars and how to reward them  (Read 2910 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our Heroes: Wired868 asks TTFA to recognise its shortlist of T&T stars
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Four years ago, as Trinidad and Tobago stood at the cusp of a Germany 2006 World Cup place, former “Strike Squad” star midfielder Kerry Jamerson was forced to negotiate with scalpers outside the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain for the chance to see a vital qualifier against Guatemala.
Jamerson’s own lethal long-ranged strikes against Guatemala, 16 years earlier, remain defining moments of Trinidad and Tobago football. But there was nothing in place to make the ex-Defence Force and Arima United stand-out feel like a part of the football family.
Last month, new Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee challenged Wired868 to create a shortlist of former national heroes who, owing to their exemplary service for country, should never have to pay or receive a ‘a favour’ to see the “Soca Warriors” play.
These players, in my estimate, have exemplified our national watchwords: Together we aspire, together we achieve. They have dug deep to represent Trinidad and Tobago with pride against bigger nations with more resources.
Should the TTFA offer then a tangible reward, it may go further than a pat on the back. It might also inspire the next generation of players by showing the courtesy and respect that is guaranteed if they succeed. And it potentially ensures the continued emotional involvement of our best past talent in football, which can be useful for the transference of knowledge from one generation to the next.
My proposal is a two-tiered system that recognises players who were part of special teams as well as those who stood out for their length of service. The selected players will receive passes for all international football games and the option to purchase up to four tickets per game.
I consider those special teams to be our first World Cup team from the 1966 qualifiers, the players from our  1974 campaign, the unforgettable Strike Squad and, of course, or team of 2006.
This would include but not necessarily be limited to the following players (some are now deceased but I include their names out of respect for their legacy):

Read more...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:01:13 PM by Bakes »

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
110% behind this!!

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
This shoukd have been done a long time! Tim Kee trying some quick wins. Even if he has an ulterior motive , it is a good move. Must recognize those who laid the foundation.

Dumplingdinho

i like the list although ppl could argue against  some of the players who only played a few qualification games in the 2006 campaign.

i would add the 1991 under 20 team (only players on actual WC squad) and technical staff since they were the first tnt team to qualify for a world cup.  hard luck for the other youth world cup teams.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
This shoukd have been done a long time! Tim Kee trying some quick wins. Even if he has an ulterior motive , it is a good move. Must recognize those who laid the foundation.

Like yuh fraid Jack Warner !!

This should have been done a long time ago since Jack Warner was here.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Although i've never had a problem to go and see Football at home wheather international or club,this is something that have been debated for many years by past T&T players.

My thoughts are it should not only be extented to a chosen few but all who have represented our country at Snr,Youth and Women,we have all made sacrifices to put T&T Football on the map win,loose or draw.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
coops  i absolutely agree , bravo to that , i give my support without hesitance  to such a gesture ..... 100% 

Dumplingdinho

Although i've never had a problem to go and see Football at home wheather international or club,this is something that have been debated for many years by past T&T players.

My thoughts are it should not only be extented to a chosen few but all who have represented our country at Snr,Youth and Women,we have all made sacrifices to put T&T Football on the map win,loose or draw.

i understand yuh point but then we will have a stadium full of non paying ppl.  is not the HCS has a capacity of 200,000.  it holds about 30,000.  how many ppl have represented the national team over the years? 

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Excellent proposal!!! :applause:

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now yuh talkin...the most progressive idea I have seen thus far..fabulous..these idiots in de TTFA would come back wid all kind a lame excuses...

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yes..I agree wid Coop's 110%..all who represent should get a free pass at least ..not necessarily sit wid de special group...

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

i understand yuh point but then we will have a stadium full of non paying ppl.  is not the HCS has a capacity of 200,000.  it holds about 30,000.  how many ppl have represented the national team over the years? 

Excellent point, we need to generate revenue at the same time. Hopefully for each game they have a limited number of seats for former national players and they'll have the opportunity to RSVP maybe on a first come first serve basis.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The gesture is correct but Liburd criteria is screwed up and not very bright either what he giving active players passes for?

Yuh leave out Dilly because he ent make 50 caps? Back in the day if we get 5 internationals a year we lucky.

Like he never hear about Reynald Carrington, Len LaForest, Brian Haynes, Gerry Gellineau, Anto Skerrit, Michael Grayson ......

As Coop's say is best yuh give all a pass...
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well if u look at it like nobody goes to Football because those stadiums are empty,

The thing is a lot of these players are no around or even attend Football any more,they are just tired for one reason or the other of T&T Football and that includes paying to go Football,what i'm saying is put the option out there they may or may not go.

I can't put a tab on how many guys have represented the country over the years but what ever number it is eh fulling no stadium,the thing is if it was not for us we would have no national teams today,everybody talks about the past when Football is mentioned but that's about it.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
how many ppl have represented the national team over the years? 

I would say between 600-700 at the senior level.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
so wha bout me ??....I have more caps than Angus eve
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coops they might as well let all the people who play for TT in free of charge. Allyuh go support the bar. Is about 700 of allyuh. Allyuh spend at least 25TT, they still cover for the free pass. But I honestly think is a good idead.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well i wish to add Aubert " Nobby " Phillip from Tunapuna to the list a player  who got his leg broken representing the red white and black who vowed never to play for his country again after broken promises made to him on his hospital bed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well i wish to add Aubert " Nobby " Phillip from Tunapuna to the list a player  who got his leg broken representing the red white and black who vowed never to play for his country again after broken promises made to him on his hospital bed.

Saw him play in the the east for Sir Frank Worrell United. Good player. Got injured against Nautico and that was basically the end of his career.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Sounds all to familiar :-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dem fellahs do/tell you de same ting amwood!!?

talk yuh talk breddah
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Dem fellahs do/tell you de same ting amwood!!?

talk yuh talk breddah

The old TTFA admin was never really big on player relations. I remember suffering ah bad injury and was transported to the hospital in the  back seat of a supporters car - there was no ambulance in the stadium that night. On top of that, I didn't hear from a man from the association until about 8 months after once someone told them I was back playing - at the time, Bertile's was preparing a team for an important tournament. Had 2 lawyers approach me in the Gen. Hospital about potential lawsuits against the association - apparently there was no insurance for any of the players at the time, no measures in place for medical treatment and rehabilitation. Didn't want to hear any of if because I knew I would never play another game for Trini if I went that route. Sadly, I was suppose to travel to England right after that tournament in Trini...lost out on a very good opportunity.     

1]; } ?>