April 29, 2024, 07:16:02 AM

Author Topic: Dean Smith hoping to unearth the next Yorke.  (Read 11118 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Dean Smith hoping to unearth the next Yorke.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »
I'm guessing the cricket competed with this event.

Sorry for the attendance though as this tour was a great effort by CFC.
Would like to see the other clubs show this kind of initiative.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
I'm guessing the cricket competed with this event.

Sorry for the attendance though as this tour was a great effort by CFC.
Would like to see the other clubs show this kind of initiative.

VB

Yeah, cricket caused a problem, including decent hotel accommodation. But this was the week that Walsall could come, so wee made the best of it. So many positives have come from this visit, so it was worth it.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
Brief match report.

Walsall started off quite well with Central F.C.'s Rundell Winchester having some good early touches. The Pro League XI played some nice football and the teams appeared evenly matched. The Siparia Rhythm Section seemed to be having an effect and the Pro League team made the breakthrough when Jomal Williams slotted home from 18 yards. Winchester seemed to struggle to find his role in the formation. Walsall had sold one of their top strikers two days before they left for T&T and their other top striker moved away as a free agent, so Walsall didn't have much striking power. The teams went in with Walsall trailing by a goal and things got worse after the break when Neil Benjamin jr scored a second for the Pro League.

It was a huge confirmation of the strength of the Pro League when you consider that Walsall put four past Coventry in April  and only lost two games between January 1st and the end of their season in April - a total of 20 league games.

However, Central F.C.'s Dwight Pope was brought in to add strength to the defence as Centre Back, while Phoenix 1976's Gem Gordon replaced Winchester. It was Gordon who began the Walsall fight back with a well taken goal and 2 minutes later, the 19 year old equalised to give him 3 goals in two games for Walsall. The fitness of the West Midlands club bore fruit as they managed to control the game with Pope always looking confident and in control. Gordon could not quite complete the fairy tale of a hat trick, but did provide the pass for Walsall's winning goal.

The game ended 3-2, with Gordon being presented with the MVP trophy by Pro League CEO, Dexter Skeene, which earned the Tobagonian a huge cheer from the Walsall players and staff, who were obviously very pleased for the young striker.

All in all, the game completed one of the aims of Central F.C. when they decided to bring across an English club; it is clear that the standard of the Pro League is very much upper English League Two/lower League One. I don't think any player from the Pro League was out of his depth and Walsall Manager Dean Smith was very impressed with the standard of play from the Pro League team.

Two negatives: The attendance was less than 500 and at the end of the game, Walsall's technical area and bench was spotless while the Pro League's was littered with empty bottles. Perhaps on the pitch their is some parity, but off the pitch, professionalism is still lacking in T&T.   

Walsall now have to prepare for Tuesday's match vs Central F.C. but meanwhile will be holding a coaching clinic on Monday morning at Ato Boldon before hosting a coaches seminar in the afternoon at the same venue.

will central sign jem gordon or will walsall make a steal ....  jem Gordon has never made any national team before ..... ???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »

will central sign jem gordon or will walsall make a steal ....  jem Gordon has never made any national team before ..... ???

it amazes me how much men with ability don't get noticed by those who responsible for finding talent. hopefully that will change under the new ttfa.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

it amazes me how much men with ability don't get noticed by those who responsible for finding talent. hopefully that will change under the new ttfa.

We have never had adequate scouting, and there has always been this undercurrent of biasness regarding players from different geographic regions. We too small for dat.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1FS5YJuggQQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1FS5YJuggQQ</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
heading down later..weather has cleared up nicely
Back in Trini...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
LIVE STREAM for Central FC vs Walsall FC: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4208918/events/2239066

Clayton Ince is providing commentary.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Central FC just took a 1-0 lead with a goal by Jason Marcano.

Offline kaiser

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
 :rotfl: Ince commentary
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:07:54 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
:rotfl: Ince commentary

Doh laugh at de man nah, he trying ah ting.  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
HALF-TIME: Central FC 1-0 Walsall FC. Goal scored by Jason Marcano.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Walsall just equalized. Central FC 1-1 Walsall FC.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
What! TT going big times. Which a live stream.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
FINAL-SCORE: Central FC 1-1 Walsall FC. Well done Central FC!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
Niceness.  Congrats to Central FC for making this happen. Our players got exposure, youngsters got the benefit of coaching sessions, Walsall had a good time and some competitive games. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

And good game Central FC, nice work by the coach and players!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:25:29 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »
Niceness.  Congrats to Central FC for making this happen. Our players got exposure, youngsters got the benefit of coaching sessions, Walsall had a good time and some competitive games. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Thanks guys. It was a gamble, but it was worth the stress! Did anyone see the goal line clearance by the English boy on trial with us? Never heard a crowd get so excited!! I think this week, the Pro league showed that it has hair on its balls! It may not seem much, but we proved that our players are good enough for at least English League 2. Now lets get back into the top 70 and sell some players!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »

Thanks guys. It was a gamble, but it was worth the stress! Did anyone see the goal line clearance by the English boy on trial with us? Never heard a crowd get so excited!! I think this week, the Pro league showed that it has hair on its balls! It may not seem much, but we proved that our players are good enough for at least English League 2. Now lets get back into the top 70 and sell some players!!

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
Yeah the goal line clearance got the crowd going..really enjoyed the game FS
Back in Trini...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 07:40:46 AM »
How much was in de crowd ?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 07:45:17 AM »
Yeah the goal line clearance got the crowd going..really enjoyed the game FS

:beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
How much was in de crowd ?

Haven't checked the gate yet but I'd guess around 1,000.  Not brilliant, but Central F.C.'s record attendance!! It would be interesting to find out how many watched on TV and online. I have seen comments on Walsall's facebook that the stream wasn't good, but then others had no problem so I guess it depends on the quality of computer it was watched on.

But it was great to hear the crowd actually chanting English style!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
The stream was good but you could not hear the comentary, it was to low, when I was on it have 190 viewers.

So did he find the next Dwight Yorke?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
The stream was good but you could not hear the comentary, it was to low, when I was on it have 190 viewers.

So did he find the next Dwight Yorke?

I think they saw players they liked like Gem Gordon, Darryl Trim and Dwight Pope but I got the impression that they didn't want to invest money to bring them to England on the slim chance that they may win a work permit at a tribunal.
Lets pray for a good showing in the Gold Cup!!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
FS,

Just a few things about yesterday...

1) Scalpers were selling tickets @ $10 and $20 dollars outside the gate. It was a white card with the central fc logo, not sure if these guys got them complmentary or what. But I paid my $30 at the door.

2) No vendors  :( ??? I really could have done with a pie or a stag. Even a water...eventually a corn soup man did show up, but a little refreshment would have been nice given the time of the game.

3) I really enjoyed that game, the quality by both teams were good and when the visitors stepped up the intensity the pace of the game increased. Good technique, control passing and action by both teams.

4) I also enjoyed Walsalls tackling and defending...very clean game, good winning of the ball and fair robust tackles.

5) I got a newspaper of some sort, a monthly thing with good articles about players and our national team. Good initiative.

6) Walsall had people distributing jersey kits, pennants and flags to children in the stands...very nice marketing move.

7) Noisemakers were a good addition and the "Central" chant was a surprise...people buy in once action happens and somebody starts it.

8) Good turnout of youths/parents and a family oriented crowd.

9) The Scoreboard was on and working...yes we got replays of the action.

All in all FS a great game and good initiative, those who were not there missed out big time.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
FS,

Just a few things about yesterday...

1) Scalpers were selling tickets @ $10 and $20 dollars outside the gate. It was a white card with the central fc logo, not sure if these guys got them complmentary or what. But I paid my $30 at the door.

2) No vendors  :( ??? I really could have done with a pie or a stag. Even a water...eventually a corn soup man did show up, but a little refreshment would have been nice given the time of the game.

3) I really enjoyed that game, the quality by both teams were good and when the visitors stepped up the intensity the pace of the game increased. Good technique, control passing and action by both teams.

4) I also enjoyed Walsalls tackling and defending...very clean game, good winning of the ball and fair robust tackles.

5) I got a newspaper of some sort, a monthly thing with good articles about players and our national team. Good initiative.

6) Walsall had people distributing jersey kits, pennants and flags to children in the stands...very nice marketing move.

7) Noisemakers were a good addition and the "Central" chant was a surprise...people buy in once action happens and somebody starts it.

8) Good turnout of youths/parents and a family oriented crowd.

9) The Scoreboard was on and working...yes we got replays of the action.

All in all FS a great game and good initiative, those who were not there missed out big time.

Thanks Touches. Very fair description of the night.

We tried to organise concessions, but without the finance to back it we couldn't manage it. I also believe we were told that HC were organising concessions. This is one area that we have to solve to improve the match day experience. Good news is that I have managed to convince the Ato Boldon concessions to apply for a licence so there will be beers available this season. We have offered numerous companies a free spot at games to promote and sell their products but so far, no one is interested. For example, why doesn't Carib or Heineken man a bar? We would give them exclusive pouring rights, but again, no one is bothered.

Once we can teach the kids how to support at a game, the adults will follow. For a brief moment it felt like a football match!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2utzTe4H5b4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2utzTe4H5b4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »
Central, Walsall play to 1-1 draw.
ttproleague.com.

The much anticipated friendly between, a Pro League club, hosts Central FC and England's Walsall FC on Tuesday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo ended in a 1-1 tie.

Central, which finished fifth last season and is coached by three-time Pro League winning coach Englishman Terry Fenwick, halted Walsall’s Trinidad and Tobago tour winning streak.

Walsall first defeated Stokely Vale 3-1 at the Plymouth Recreation Ground in Tobago last Friday, and on Sunday with a help of Phoenix player Jem Gordon who scored a double and set up the winner, had to come from behind to defeat a Pro League XI 3-2.

On Tuesday Central went ahead 1-0 in the 22nd minute through a neat finish by Keon Trim from close range to beat Walsall goalie Richard O'Donnell after he was picked out by Darryl Trim who on the right dribbled off three ‘Saddlers’.

The finish was a lot better than K. Trim's clear cut opportunity in the 2nd minute of play on a one-on-one situation with O'Donnell which he knocked directly at the Walsall goalie.

In the 43rd minute Rundell Winchester executed a curling effort towards goal and O'Donnell was equal to the strike, fisting it out as far as goalscorer K. Trim. But ‘The Saddlers’ goalie recovered well to tip behind the rebound effort by K. Trim.

Two minutes earlier Walsall’s Ben George rocked the Central crossbar with an effort from just inside the area.

And it was in the 47th minute from a curling strike from above the area that substitute Danny Griffiths leveled the scores 1-1 beating Central’s defense and U21 goalie Javon Sample who showed a lot of promise between the uprights.

Walsall substitutes Jake Heath and Ashley Hemmings teamed-up well in the 56th minute with the later missing the far upright by a foot. And in injury time Central needed a last ditch header by substitute Dean Faithful to clear Griffiths’ strike away from the goal mouth.

Central’s best opening of the second half was in the 78th minute when substitute Julio Noel dribbled free of three Walsall players before squaring a pass to Darren Mitchell, but the talented Tobagonian hammered his effort too high from above the area.

Walsall manager Dean Smith admitted that Trinidad and Tobago is a good pre-season destination for clubs such as ‘The Saddlers’ which finished last season in England’s League One with just two defeats.

For us it’s about fitness and getting ready for the start of our season,” he said about the Trinidad and Tobago tour. “We certainly made a lot of new friends and had a lot of tough challenges, so it has been really good for us.”

Smith also used the opportunity to have a look at some of the T&T players on display and held coaching clinics in Tobago and central and north Trinidad during the club’s week-long visit.

Central FC 1 - 1 Walsall FC
Keon Trim 22'  ;  Danny Griffiths 47'

Teams

Central FC - 1.Javon Sample, 22.Keion Goodridge (37.Afiba Spouse), 10.Marvin Oliver(20.Dwight Pope), 16.Carey Harris, 14.Darryl Trim (9.Johan Peltier), 7.Jason Marcano(18.Kevin Goddard), 11.Rundell Winchester (Kaydion Gabriel), 12.Jamal Jack, 29.Keon Trim (5.Julio Noel), 4.Omar Charles (23.Dean Faithful), 19.Darren Mitchell (28.Robert Als)

Unused substitutes - 55. Zane Coker, 13.Nicholas Dillon, 23.Hector Sam, 8.Shem Alexander, 21.France Husbands

Coach - Terry Fenwick

Walsall FC - 1.Richard O'Donnell, 3.Paul Downing, 21.Kieron Morris, 12.Malvind Benning, 4.Andy Butler, 10. Omari-Sterlin James, 9.Troy Hewitt, 7.Jem Gordon, 8.Sam Mantom, 17.Reece Flanagan, 24.Ben George

Used substitutes - 23.Liam Roberts (gk), 2.Ben Purkiss, 5.Dean Holden, 14.Danny Griffiths, 15.James Chambers, 6.Nicky Featherstone, 11.Ashley Hemmings, 16.James Baxendale, 19. Jake Heath

Team Manager - Dean Smith

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 05:08:19 AM »
Ah see Drobga playing for Central now.

FS, holding back on we.

Franz Husbands was also a decent striker for T&T youth team.

1]; } ?>