March 28, 2024, 08:58:57 AM

Author Topic: La Liga Thread  (Read 38977 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: La Liga Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2021, 10:32:58 AM »
Oh! how the mighty has "fallen".

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2021, 12:38:05 AM »
Barcelona still have too much salary on their books.  Depay and other new signings not registered as yet.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
Suárez siddung and watched most of today's opener, then entered and prompted a flaring of tempers. Resulted in two expulsions for Celta.

Both Spurs and Atleti off to good starts. :thumbsup:

Interesting tidbit: Angel Correa opened Atl Madrid's scoring. Dahis de 3rd time for him in recent seasons (since 2017). Other couple seasons were opened by Diego Costa.

Doh know if anyone wants to take up this bet ... I'm betting Costa will find his way back to La Liga ... whether LL1/2.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 03:35:02 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »
Barcelona still have too much salary on their books.  Depay and other new signings not registered as yet.

Yesterday they released a statement claiming it was resolved, BUT that statement was refuted by La Liga. Just tuned on and seeing Memphis on de field.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 12:29:15 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2021, 02:28:13 AM »
Ten teams still searching for a win. TEN!

Best prospects for getting off the mark: one of the participants in the Getafe vs Elche and Granada vs Betis match-ups.

Real should dismiss Celta and Cadiz should suffer against Sociedad. Of course, nutten for Espanyol because Atletico Madrid needs to stay in reach of Bilbao.

Most interesting fixture: Osasuna vs Valencia ... although something about Cadiz vs Sociedad suggests it could be less than boring.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »
Atletico Madrid has to be included in any reckoning of the best teams at overcoming or nullifying a deficit. Playing Espanyol today is another example. Also maybe among the best teams at playing the final 15-20 minutes + stoppage.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
Osasuna vs Valencia has turned into Man Utd vs Newcastle ... with the exception that it isn't the home team winning. 4-1 after a long period of parity in the scoreline. Might even get worse with five minutes plus stoppage remaining. Yet, Osasuna had been driving HARD at VLC and then things took a turn.

If yuh not just focused on brand name ballers, then take a peek at Guedes.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »
Atletico Madrid has to be included in any reckoning of the best teams at overcoming or nullifying a deficit.

Not today! First loss of the season.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2021, 05:33:44 AM »
Today is a meat and potatoes football day.

Classic match-up in a matter of less than four hours: Valencia vs Atletico Madrid despite Valencia struggling a bit. A lil later is a derby that might be off the radar of several but is tooth and nails no less: Betis vs Sevilla. This one is the 135th.

Outside Spain, there are several other compelling matches across European football. Milan vs Inter. Arsenal vs Watford. Leeds vs Leicester. Everton vs Tottenham. Feyenoord vs  AZ.

In the "New World", it's Catolica vs U de Chile. Long live football. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
Osasuna vs Valencia has turned into Man Utd vs Newcastle ... with the exception that it isn't the home team winning. 4-1 after a long period of parity in the scoreline. Might even get worse with five minutes plus stoppage remaining. Yet, Osasuna had been driving HARD at VLC and then things took a turn.

If yuh not just focused on brand name ballers, then take a peek at Guedes.

Not included by Santos for the current Portugal squad. Somewhat of a talking point in Portugal.

On the field for VLC right now vs Atlético Madrid. Pissed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:42:14 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
Golaaaaaaaaazoooooo de Griezmann! One of the best of his career! Educated left foot at doctoral level. :notworthy: 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:42:09 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2021, 10:47:49 AM »
Today is a meat and potatoes football day.

Classic match-up in a matter of less than four hours: Valencia vs Atletico Madrid despite Valencia struggling a bit. A lil later is a derby that might be off the radar of several but is tooth and nails no less: Betis vs Sevilla. This one is the 135th.

Outside Spain, there are several other compelling matches across European football. Milan vs Inter. Arsenal vs Watford. Leeds vs Leicester. Everton vs Tottenham. Feyenoord vs  AZ.

In the "New World", it's Catolica vs U de Chile. Long live football.

I thought about it, but I couldn't bring myself to include West Ham vs Liverpool. Looks like they intend on sending the naysayers a message. Ah well.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
For all the accolades heaped on Simeone regarding AM's defensive solidity, these capitulations are a bit much. 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3. What a way to squander 2 points.

Although not sure from where the 7 minutes stoppage emerged.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »
For all the accolades heaped on Simeone regarding AM's defensive solidity, these capitulations are a bit much. 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3. What a way to squander 2 points.

Although not sure from where the 7 minutes stoppage emerged.
That goal in the dregs is similar to what Barca conceded on Saturday 3-3 tie as well. Aspas is a goal scoring machine in La Liga, he's been consistently doing the heavy lifting for Celta Vigo.
The league's shaping up for some excitement throughout the season, no clear cut front runner yet.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
Real Sociedad is drafting a notable story. Perhaps they have something to offer that persists to the end of the season. I like some of their assembled cast. It has been a while since they left everyone in their wake.

Lil dose of the past: many moons ago I happened to become the owner of first RS jersey issued by the club of a player who they had just signed. Player went on to a relatively obscure journeyman career, but I got a few sweats in the jersey. Other than that, no sentimental attachment to the club.

I doubt they issued many jerseys with his name, but I wore mine with a smile.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 10:23:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2022, 12:52:05 PM »
Save of the day candidate: Unai Simon backpedaling pushing a scorcher over the crossbar (for Athletic Bilbao vs Alaves). Top shelf!

EDIT: Now unsure as to whether he got a fingertip to it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:08:43 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2022, 06:17:05 PM »
Yesterday Lazio keeper had a lightning reaction to stop a Lautaro volley. I doh know how he even see it much less bat it away. Yes Serie A I know.
La Liga lost quite a bit of shine for me. Time for a trini to get signed there to make it more interesting

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »
6 goals, a red card each to Dani Alves and a Barça technical staffer, yellow to Xavi ... opening goal by Atletico Madrid, immediate response by Barça, decent showings by new acquisitions etc. would have made for fun viewing were I a neutral. However ah not in that camp ... so less tickled by the result although I hadda respect what Xavi is proposing cobbling together.

At 4-2, with time on the clock, a change in momentum/match dynamic were the only items to suggest rescue of a point. That not having happened, Barcelona moves into the CL spot.

AM still in de running but although 4 of the top 5 have a match in hand (exception being Sevilla) ... Sevilla and Real Madrid should have enough separation to make the insecurities a concern for Betis, Sociedad, Barcelona and Atleti.

In the midst of all of AM's frustrations is the not widely known fact that Simeone is so so so so close to being the "winningest" foreign coach in La Liga. Under normal service that achievement would have been put to bed by now. Won't be long.

At the other end of the table, Cadiz squandered an opportunity to dig some dirt out of the hole in which they are buried. A win would have seen them leapfrog Mallorca, but Mallorca walked away from the head to head with 3 points and a 5 point cushion. Might have been a good idea not to have passed on Diego Costa.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:17:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
Yesterday Lazio keeper had a lightning reaction to stop a Lautaro volley. I doh know how he even see it much less bat it away. Yes Serie A I know.
La Liga lost quite a bit of shine for me. Time for a trini to get signed there to make it more interesting.

Each league is a specialty in itself with some subtle qualities. Doh let marketing and branding keep you away.

As for a Trini getting signed ... ah well! Wouldn't recommend holding yuh breath despite mobility through the ranks being less of a headache than in other places.

By the way, Tenerife (Shaq Moore's squad) is in 4th place in La Liga 2 ... so yuh could wave de flag there.

They just had a compelling amount of $$$ dangled at them for him but they declined. Although he isn't getting the minutes he did before, they still value him in the squad. Given what they have going on, that makes sense. Promotion bid over topping up the coffers.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:13:33 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2022, 10:11:32 PM »
Dani had a goal, an assist and a red card.....he made an impression for sure. Maybe those transfers was the much needed spark that Barca needed to push for top 3. On the flip side, RM vs Granada was a good game as well. They were able to pull though without Benzema and Vinicius. The second half of the season should be entertaining.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2022, 11:17:26 PM »
Dani had a goal, an assist and a red card.....he made an impression for sure. Maybe those transfers was the much needed spark that Barca needed to push for top 3. On the flip side, RM vs Granada was a good game as well. They were able to pull though without Benzema and Vinicius. The second half of the season should be entertaining.

Like yuh realize I danced by Real Madrid.  :devil:

I thought the chance of the match fell to Granada's new acquisition from Ferencvaros, Uzuni. He slept on it. That would have put Granada 1-0. CR7 should call him and cuss him.

One way or the other, it likely wouldn't have changed the outcome because Granada is lacking in quality defensively - although they are among the teams who have most managed to wiggle draws out of adversity. Only Bilbao have more drawn matches. Yet, Valencia and Cadiz also have a bag of draws and have leaking issues.

One would have thought RM would have made lighter work of Granada.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
La Liga lost quite a bit of shine for me. Time for a trini to get signed there to make it more interesting.

Each league is a specialty in itself with some subtle qualities. Doh let marketing and branding keep you away.

As for a Trini getting signed ... ah well! Wouldn't recommend holding yuh breath despite mobility through the ranks being less of a headache than in other places.

By the way, Tenerife (Shaq Moore's squad) is in 4th place in La Liga 2 ... so yuh could wave de flag there.

They just had a compelling amount of $$$ dangled at them for him but they declined. Although he isn't getting the minutes he did before, they still value him in the squad. Given what they have going on, that makes sense. Promotion bid over topping up the coffers.

Shaq Moore is a sensitive topic for some here, but I'll add this tidbit for context: there are only 6 US players playing in La Liga 1 or 2 (Dest, Hoppe, Miazga, Musah/Moore and Jonathan Gomez). Dest and Musah are US imports in every sense. The remaining four are US born and at least partially formed/influenced. Miazga, Moore and Gomez have a profile in common in having had JNT experience with a nation other than the US in addition to the US.  If we get ticklish about it, we can say the US landed "only" four players in Spain's top ranks.

Miazga is on loan. The others are full-fledged. Even discounting for age, Moore has been on the scene longer and really merits respect for the grind he has put in.

This cohort of 6 players is about as large as it has ever been. Conversely, there are 10 Spanish players in MLS (the 3rd largest national contingent by number). For what it's worth, the majority of the cohort (US players in Spain) are defenders.

Mexico has 6 in LL1. Subject to correction, I do not think there are any Canadians in LL1 or LL 2. By contrast, 5 of the 6 Mexicans are attacking players.

Maybe food for reflection. Maybe not.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:59:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
RM couldn't have showed up tonight of all nights? Steups. 4-0 and 35 minutes still left to play. Vexing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2022, 09:50:56 PM »
Wow!!! A 4-0 whipping by Barsa! The going for Mbappe!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2022, 02:17:00 PM »
Deeks, last week ah was watching Almeria vs Cadiz Elche and ah say ah feel Deeks would like dis baller based on what he has posted over the years ...  tuned in today viewing Sociedad vs Atletico Madrid, who I see in Sociedad's colors: de same baller, Umar Sadiq! acquired by Sociedad as replacement for Newcastle's new acquisition (Isak). Yuh might remember him from his U20 days.

Ah sorry to see him leave Almeria and equally sorry to see Isak depart Sociedad. Dahis where the similarities end. I think they will have diverging fortunes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 06:33:08 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2022, 07:15:27 AM »
Deeks, last week ah was watching Almeria vs Cadiz Elche and ah say ah feel Deeks would like dis baller based on what he has posted over the years ...  tuned in today viewing Sociedad vs Atletico Madrid, who I see in Sociedad's colors: de same baller, Umar Sadiq! acquired by Sociedad as replacement for Newcastle's new acquisition (Isak). Yuh might remember him from his U20 days.

Ah sorry to see him leave Almeria and equally sorry to see Isak depart Sociedad. Dahis where the similarities end. I think they will have diverging fortunes.

To my surprise he started in the CL match against Manchester United. He was withdrawn after an underwhelming first half.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2022, 08:51:37 AM »
Not to bring up old news, but only because Musah has impressed me from jump.
I was in disbelief about his age, knowing how that age thing goes with some African countries/players.
But when I saw that he was born in a NYC hospital, I felt better.
In my crazy head, I see him as a combo of Yaya Toure/Patrick Vieira, and wish my United had gotten a hold of him.

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2022, 01:18:05 PM »
I was in disbelief about his age, knowing how that age thing goes with some African countries/players.
In my crazy head, I see him as a combo of Yaya Toure/Patrick Vieira, and wish my United had gotten a hold of him.

Did you see the scorcher he "scored" 2 weeks ago? Unfortunately it was called back for a teammate's infraction in the construction of the attack. Felt bad for him because that golazo merited official recognition of the work he has put in.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2022, 05:52:05 PM »

Did you see the scorcher he "scored" 2 weeks ago? Unfortunately it was called back for a teammate's infraction in the construction of the attack. Felt bad for him because that golazo merited official recognition of the work he has put in.
Hahahaha, yes I saw the "scored" goal. But seriously he has me watching Valencia games now, look forward to see where he ends up.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2022, 02:28:46 PM »
That loss today is adding to the emerging rumblings calling for Xavi's head. Quite the day. Right now Betis is on the heels of the lead pack. They just took the lead against Almeria. Pellegrini is silently being consistent.

1]; } ?>