March 28, 2024, 07:39:49 PM

Author Topic: That change from a dollar  (Read 784 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
That change from a dollar
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
That change from a dollar
Published:
Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Text Size:
For some time now I have noted the propsensity of citizens to leave unwanted change behind. I have seen, at the offices of utility companies—TSTT, T&TEC, WASA—that customers who receive change in coins, tend to leave them at the counter. Moreso, if they fell on the ground, no one bothers to pick them up. It seems as though coins are no longer money.   

Long ago, in my Hindu upbringing, we were taught to show respect for hard-earned money so that all coins would be collected and put in a jar, to be converted at the bank. Nowadays, school children do not want a 25-cent coin. They prefer to throw it away, literally. Maybe the money is too easy to come by as parents seem to be ever so willing to dole out $100 bills, but this culture must be changed. At a grocery recently, no less than 85 cents spilled from a man who paid for his groceries. He left it there on the floor, even though he was told that his change fell. In fact he swore at the inconvenience of having to pick up the change. He just left it. Well, I should tell you, I picked it up and put it my ashtray as it went towards my daily newspapers.

What a careless people we have become. A day will come when we will cry for the money we throw away; if we throw away a little every day, it all adds up. In fact, if you give a vagrant $1 in change, he will tell you, frankoment, he does not want it. I look down on the hypocrites who quarrel for a one-cent change when the truth is they don’t use it.  Now I believe the way forward is for each business to keep a jar in which people can put their change. This can be donated weekly to a charity, a political party or used during midday salaat at the mosque.

Lystra Marajh

Give me my change is mine ah want it ,even a cent or penny as the americans call it .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: That change from a dollar
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:11:50 AM by sammy »
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>