March 28, 2024, 06:34:30 AM

Author Topic: Is JMW the best keeper we have?  (Read 7958 times)

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is JMW the best keeper we have?
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
if so, we have a real problem. The man slap a ball right back to an onrushing Haitian. Bleeder got to go. Keon is having one of I-am-sleepy game. otherwise we arrite. I believe that we can still win this match. Suddenly Haity is not looking as dangerois as they were against Honduras.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Is JMW the best keeper we have?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
It was not Williams fault, the defenders suppose to close down that guy.

Williams did good to save it but should have punch it out though.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:03:35 PM »
I agree and disagree. Any keeper worth his salt would have either collected cleanly or if in doubt punch hard. You don't parry a ball under pressure.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
It was poor goalkeeping.. first the save was a poor considering his footwork was slow..and he should have put it past the post or at least wide..not back into play...

and the thing that got me upset was his reaction to the rebound... goalkeepers do that drill every day when they hit the floor how fast the react to the second ball... very very very poor technique

I think Marvin is the better technically of the 2 but Jan is more commanding while Marvin seems a quiet guy , and maybe does not organize his defence as well by not being vocal enough

Jan has his suspect moments and has to work on his technique and concentration

the ideal thing would be for both to play away and sharpen up.... the pro league is doing them and us no favours

giggsy11

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

He should have been at least in a position tuh affect the second shot.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »
was thinking the same thing
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
You should rename the thread, Trini Goalkeepers. I find it hard to believe that JMW, MP, and CJ is all we have to call on. For years these fellars are the only ones being used. Are there no other better keepers for T&T?

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
I will never watch ahh another game if bleeder playing
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »

I am with you on that. If he plays against Honduras I will chk on the score after the game.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »

It was Williams fault...you don't ever parry a ball into your box ...granted the defender should have been touch tight with the forward but better footwork wouldn't have had him making that reaction save

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
We need a better keeper ASAP. His footwork is poorrrrr. Even the comentators said so. Time for a new keeper.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
The field was wet?  I think that was the main thing that may have kept him from getting back up for the second shot.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Absolute shit keepin for the first goal..terrible soft save but the defense was sleepin.... Still eh see any reason for jan to keep over Marvin when Marvin fit
Back in Trini...

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »

Bally i endorse this!!

Jan was poor tonight and was poor in the first game too, outside of the late reflex save. That first goal he got against El Salvador was poor. The free kick was down the middle. His reaction was poor because he set a wall and couldnt see the ball. the next time he saw it was when it was whizzing past his hand and down the middle of the goal. tonight that first goal was poor as well.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »
Absolute shit keepin for the first goal..terrible soft save but the defense was sleepin.... Still eh see any reason for jan to keep over Marvin when Marvin fit

Marvin is not fit.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 12:12:42 AM »
jan is a poor keeper, a 3rd string in any of my teams, i always heard cleon john was good but i can't testify to that, in saying that, the defenders are 95% to blame for those 2 goals, high school defending, hoyte was the only man who look the part

phillips is better, he had 2 bad games and get drop, that to me was foolishness and should be blamed on the defenders,

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
IMO marvin woss than jan, trust meh!! don't believe me, then go back to the WCQ where marvin concede some real soft goals, plus he's not good on set pieces especially corners.

jan for me by a country mile.

PS: the man concede four goals in peru and another four in romania, you call that an option??     :o
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:19 AM »

at the risk of being "contrarian" again like a man tell meh de other day, I will not be repeating what the commentators/analysts sayin' without thinking, understanding or analyzing for myself....most times "fundamentals" are very important in football (as in all sports) but GK coaches will tell you that sometimes you just have to let certain things go, as long as the GK can make the save.  Sometimes they don't have the time to react the "fundamental" way and they do the best that they can. I say that because, unless Jan had time (which I don't think he did) to shuffle his feet and move across and catch the ball from a standing, fully upright position, or cradle it into his stomach, his footwork didn't matter once he got his two hands to the ball. now THAT is where I think his departure from the "fundamentals" (as I categorize it) is what hurt him/us.  I think Jan could and should have caught that ball as opposed to parrying it.  He could have even pushed it around the post for a corner and at semi-full stretch, it is easier to do that than with them low hard shots on the ground.....over the years, as I have seen JMW play, I find he tends to parry shots more than catch the ones that are catchable and it seems to be the norm with GK's in today's game. Iker Casillas is a next one that does that alot. They parry and punch and hardly ever think of catching the ball like GK's used to do back in the day.  If Earl Carter was Jan's GK coach, I honestly believe you would see a difference because Earl was a "catcher"....just like men like VDS and Schmeichel.....and Richard Hood. (lol!)....I guarantee you, them men was either catching that shot or pushin' it wide for a corner.....
 Jan WAS slow getting back up to deal with the rebound, though, he had no chance.....I am not bashing the man, I like the fella, I think he is a very classy, very humble, cool, level-headed, hard-working fella and I think that is one of the things that make the coaches give him the nod over Marvin, he really works hard in training....but I prefer Marvin myself....to me he just has more natural ability and sharper reflexes......Where is Glenroy Samuel why hasn't he made his way into this national team to compete for the shirt?

....on another note, ah rel likin' de new uniforms but oh LAWWD, man why dem pants and dem so friggin' tight?!     

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
In 2006 we had Clayton, Shaka ans Kelvin - all 3 were superior to the choices we have at the moment. The common denominator between the 3 is that they all played in England.
T&T keepers tend to be good shot stoppers, but, as mentioned here, technique is poor.
Keepers in T&T do not get proper GK coaching. Clubs look for a GK coach, but in many cases, they cannot find a coach who is sufficiently qualified to further develop them. Also, the facilities aren't available at the venues where teams train.
Specific work on strengthening wrists, work with bunji cords, fast feet exercises etc.

Walsall brought two trialist keepers to T&T and a GK coach. Watching them work opened my eyes. Even their pre match warm up was twice as long as we're used to here.

We need a TTFA appointed national GK coach to develop a national program to improve the standard of keepers.

As was mentioned, if Jan, Marvin or Cleon spent a few years overseas, they would be very good keepers. They just don't get the support here.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »
IMO marvin woss than jan, trust meh!! don't believe me, then go back to the WCQ where marvin concede some real soft goals, plus he's not good on set pieces especially corners.

jan for me by a country mile.

PS: the man concede four goals in peru and another four in romania, you call that an option??     :o
Tallman i know he not fit that why I eh really vex he eh starting now
One goal in those friendlies I blame on Marvin, the rest weren't his fault. He is the better shot stopper in MY opinion.. I agree Jan generally better on crosses, but not even close as a shot stopper. And the free kick and the shit save las night sealed that for me. Shoot I think my team in england would have cuss my ass if i parry that nice and soft down the middle. But I also said the defense was sleeping. Plenty blame to go around
But yuh welcome to your opinion. I also feel maybe they need to be challenged, doesn't seem like have had anyone coming to challenge for their spots
Back in Trini...

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »
Oh so de keeper is de problem? Point finger at dis player..dat player..allyuh eh easy nah..

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
I would hate to fast track this youth, but the U20 GK from Houston Dynamo is technically better than ALL our senior keepers.  Maybe Hart should consider inviting him to train with the senior team.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:05:57 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
As a ray of hope for the future, Central played a 19 year old keeper vs Walsall and he didn't do too badly.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
In 2006 we had Clayton, Shaka ans Kelvin - all 3 were superior to the choices we have at the moment. The common denominator between the 3 is that they all played in England.
T&T keepers tend to be good shot stoppers, but, as mentioned here, technique is poor.
Keepers in T&T do not get proper GK coaching. Clubs look for a GK coach, but in many cases, they cannot find a coach who is sufficiently qualified to further develop them. Also, the facilities aren't available at the venues where teams train.
Specific work on strengthening wrists, work with bunji cords, fast feet exercises etc.

Walsall brought two trialist keepers to T&T and a GK coach. Watching them work opened my eyes. Even their pre match warm up was twice as long as we're used to here.

We need a TTFA appointed national GK coach to develop a national program to improve the standard of keepers.

As was mentioned, if Jan, Marvin or Cleon spent a few years overseas, they would be very good keepers. They just don't get the support here

Tony Waiters of NSCAA very good Instructor old now but very knowledgeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Waiters

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:37:54 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
 John Granville is a good coach ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Jan or marvin who is better?  That depends on what yuh looking for.  Jan is not great at anything bit across the board he is solid in all areas.

Marvin is a great shot stopper and has good reflexes but poor at handling crosses and has a bad attitude.

so if u want a good a keeper with reflexes then Marvin is the man...if u want a keeper no major deficiencies then Jan is the man.

Overall they are both about the same if you sum the parts.

None of them are close to Shaka, Ince, etc.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »
Yeah dem tight pants have to go..........might improve dey pace  :banginghead:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
Jan has one main flaw he palms/punches the ball consistently back into play from shots. Ive seen it many times , last night included
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is JMW the best keeper we have?
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
Oh so de keeper is de problem? Point finger at dis player..dat player..allyuh eh easy nah..

One of the many problems
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is JMW the best keeper we have?
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
I agree and disagree. Any keeper worth his salt would have either collected cleanly or if in doubt punch hard. You don't parry a ball under pressure.

Glad you noticed
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>