April 20, 2024, 01:40:53 AM

Author Topic: Winter World Cup  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Winter World Cup
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
The Fifa president says the heat in the country would be unbearable and believes that holding the competition in winter would only disrupt one European season
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has insisted that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be held during the winter period for European nations.

The Middle Eastern nation were controversially awarded the tournament back in 2010, despite fears over the country's soaring temperatures.

And the Swiss official has insisted that the competition cannot be held during June and July.

"The World Cup in Qatar can only take place in the winter. And the executive committee is sure to follow me," he told Sky Sport Germany.

"In this heat, you cannot play in the summer. And we have to consider the players. I was just in the Middle East, in Jordan, Palestine and Israel.

"I have felt the heat in these countries and it's not as hot there as it is in Qatar. It's possible to air condition a stadium, but not an entire country.

"That's why we need to be brave in the Executive Committee to create awareness among the leagues that we need to change something."

Many people have voiced fears over the effect a winter World Cup could have on domestic football's scheduling, but Blatter insists that the change would only be temporary.

"Yes, but it's only a year, then they can go back to normal rhythm again," he added.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2013/07/17/4124071/qatar-world-cup-should-be-held-in-winter-insists-blatter

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Winter World Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
Corrupt bastards, all of them. It shows no consideration to the football world. It was the worst possible decision to chose Qatar in the first place, now this.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
nothing wrong with letting each region get the games hopefully the caribbean could host a world cup one day.

That would be the biggest party / vacation of all time.

everybody wants to come to the caribbean.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
nothing wrong with letting each region get the games hopefully the caribbean could host a world cup one day.

That would be the biggest party / vacation of all time.

everybody wants to come to the caribbean.

This should have already happen by now!!
Party of all time indeed
whey boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
Carribean does not have the capacity to host a big event like that. Let alone stadiums
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
I don't see the issue  :yawning:... You think the US or England did not try to buy the world cup too? What they crying for? :violin: Let everybody get a chance. That euro leagues thing is a non-issue as is only one year. Sour grapes I say!  ::)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
I wanted Australia to get it.
Youtube Channel

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
Carribean does not have the capacity to host a big event like that. Let alone stadiums
No big deal ... the big money in world cup is in tv rights anyway! I say play the games in all dem cricket stadia around the region and have the final in the HCS  ;D

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
We could definetly host  TnT and Jamaica can build a 50-60 K stadium we could include Miami, Cancun  as big stadium locations.

greater Caribbean region

Think outside the box.

the amount of tourist that would flood in would be unbelievable

it will create logistic nightmares but it is time we step up to world standards in the caribbean in terms of transportation.

cricket world cup went off without a hitch.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
Yeh and what happens after? How many times will that stadium ever get full after all that money spent? Where the hotel accommodation coming from? All that is nice. But what happens after? Cricket world cup and football world cup is two different thing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:38:38 AM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
And who getting to play as the host? A unified team? Go never happen
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
And who getting to play as the host?

Caribbean Cup should solve this....that go be the tournament of tournaments with the winning team being the marquee country i.e

2026 hosts: TnT & the Caribbean
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:26:17 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
It couldn't happen in the Caribbean, because the Caribbean couldn't afford it. I believe it's costing Brazil US$13 billion to stage the WC and they will recoup around US$3 billion. The rest is paid for by Brazilian taxpayers, that's the reason for the protests.

And all you'd have left is a couple of dozen white elephant stadiums. Even UK took down half of the Olympic stadium because it was too big to be filled and wouldn't be cost effective to maintain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
Or just give the cup to someone else. I vote USA so ah could go some games.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

Been there done that...Granted the tickets were cheap because of the lack of interest, but the vibes just was not there. Fast forward to France and Germany some years later and the experience was much different.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:30:04 AM »

Been there done that...Granted the tickets were cheap because of the lack of interest, but the vibes just was not there. Fast forward to France and Germany some years later and the experience was much different.

"Vibes" would be there.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »
I don't see the issue  :yawning:... You think the US or England did not try to buy the world cup too? What they crying for? :violin: Let everybody get a chance. That euro leagues thing is a non-issue as is only one year. Sour grapes I say!  ::)

Can't comment on the US but England (and most of Europe's) gripe is only about moving the Tournament. England bid for 2018 not 2022 so I aint sure how it could be sour grapes. I suppose you talking about the FA head (Bernstein) complaining about 2 months ago that there were apparently strict rules for bid submissions - time of year, proposed dates were all in these rules and Qatar's was based on holding it in the summer yet suddenly the talk was about moving it after they had won the bidding process. His issue was this surely breaks the rules of bid submission.

On moving the tournament, it is not simple. Unless, like Blatter, changes have little affect on you directly. With the normal summer slot for the WC the impact is minimal as most leagues have ended between 3 weeks to a month before the start of the tournament and when it ends another month to 6 weeks before their new seasons begin. I can't see any of the major European pro-leagues being happy to loose players for as much as 2 months or halting their seasons for that length of time either. Winter break in europe is usually only around 2-3 weeks and the English league don't have one. Fixture congestion, loss of revenue during the holiday period for TV and Tickets etc. Remember TV rights contract's are arranged years in advance so can't imagine Broadcaster being happy either especially if they not WC rights holders. Of course they all going to complain.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »
As Rodney mentioned, I see the issue being that Qatars bid is null and void if the WC moves to Winter. Biders were given a very strict bidding guideline including infrastructure, travel, venues accomodation etc. Every bid was based on a Summer WC. I am positive that if Qatars was based on a Winter WC, even with corruption and bribery, they would not have won. Politically, it wouldn't have been popular. Blatter has circumvented the bidding process to get his own way.

I fully expect WC boycotts from the major European leagues. It's possible that USA and Australia would support this in order to get rid of Blatter.

It will be the worse WC of modern times. Give it to Australia!! At least they have a buoyant professional league which will greatly improve if they held a WC, and isn't that the point?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »

The vibe wasn't there then but the profits were as the US hosted the first profitable world cup for FIFA and it was also the best attended to date. The model that the US used is one that has subsequently been copied by all host nations.
US stadia (pro-football and high profile Div I are also built to hold on average 70, 000 plus so facilities would not be an issue.
If it were held in the US it probably would be the best ever as the climate for the game is a lot different now.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
The Plot Thicken's ! Even FIFA's own saying Qatar is a mistake and a winter world cup extremely difficult to pull off.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/07/24/uk-soccer-worldcup-qatar-idUKBRE96N0LX20130724

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
I feel all this doubt now has to do with Bin Hammam. They trying to really shaft him now!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
Seeing where they done planning to push it to November 2022. I predicting if this goes through there will be boycotts

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1506462/fifa-host-2022-world-cup-november?cc=5901

'FIFA to move World Cup to November'
July 25, 2013

Recommend159
    Tweet25
    Email
    Print

By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

FIFA is now planning to host the 2022 World Cup in Qatar in November rather than January, a source at the governing body told kicker.

Sepp Blatter
GettyImagesBlatter has confirmed he will ask for the 2022 World Cup to be rescheduled.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has confirmed that he intends to ask for the tournament to be held in the winter as temperatures in the Gulf state can reach 50°C during the summer.

It was initially expected that the tournament would be brought forward to January 2022, but kicker reports the intention is now to move it to November that year, with the final set to take place on December 18.

A winter World Cup would have a significant effect on domestic football across Europe. The major leagues in the continent all kick off in the summer, with the Russian Premier League changing its schedule to follow the same pattern a year ago, and will face severe disruption as a result of the Qatar tournament.

The planned change had been backed by Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and the German Football League’s executive Andreas Rettig.

However, former German Football Association president Theo Zwanziger has warned that a winter World Cup would have a serious effect on European leagues and could also put the “unity of German football” in danger.

Zwanziger, a member of the FIFA executive committee, told Sport Bild: “If you change the match calendar, it not only affects Bundesliga but also goes all the way down to the minor leagues. The structure of German football is in danger and therefore the unity of German football.”

The 68-year old added: “If the decision [to award the World Cup to Qatar] was wrong back then you have to reverse it and should not load extra burdens on non-participants.”

Zwanziger said he had little hope that FIFA would change its plans.

“Looking at the executive committee and the interests there, the proposition will get the vote. I am curious to find out what U.S. association president Sunil Gunati, who is new in the committee, will vote for,” he said.

The United States had also made a bid for the 2022 World Cup but lost out to Qatar.

A vote among the 27 FIFA executive committee members is set for October at the next conference.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
A winter World Cup would have a significant effect on domestic football across Europe. The major leagues in the continent all kick off in the summer, with the Russian Premier League changing its schedule to follow the same pattern a year ago, and will face severe disruption as a result of the Qatar tournament.

However, former German Football Association president Theo Zwanziger has warned that a winter World Cup would have a serious effect on European leagues and could also put the “unity of German football” in danger.

Zwanziger, a member of the FIFA executive committee, told Sport Bild: “If you change the match calendar, it not only affects Bundesliga but also goes all the way down to the minor leagues. The structure of German football is in danger and therefore the unity of German football.”

The 68-year old added: “If the decision [to award the World Cup to Qatar] was wrong back then you have to reverse it and should not load extra burdens on non-participants.”

Zwanziger said he had little hope that FIFA would change its plans.

“Looking at the executive committee and the interests there, the proposition will get the vote. I am curious to find out what U.S. association president Sunil Gunati, who is new in the committee, will vote for,” he said.

The United States had also made a bid for the 2022 World Cup but lost out to Qatar.

A vote among the 27 FIFA executive committee members is set for October at the next conference.

Those are the two key points; why should other nations have to alter their situations to accomodate Qatar and FIFA. It is mainly FIFA's fault, some serious backhanders will probably have to change hands at that executive meeting, not only to get the proposal through, stop boycotts but also to prevent the losing bidders from sueing over FIFA blatantly ignoring their own bidding rules.

Has the temperature changed that significantly in Qatar over the past 18/12 that FIFA are only just realising it will be oppressively hot  there in June/July??  :cursing: Jokers one and all.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
I wonder if the plug does get pulled on Qatar, would Zidane have
to payback his $15M Euro?

Let's say it doesn't get pulled, and does go ahead in Winter.
The Euro leagues would have to be shutdown for at least 2
to 3 weeks before the WC, and at a minimum 1 week after.
Down time for Europe would be at best 7 weeks, at worst
9 to 10 weeks.

Has anyone here ever followed the griping by owners, players
fans when there has been a strike in NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL?
It would be amusing to see Blatter selling his plan to ManU/
ManC/Chelsea/AC Milan/Juve/Bayern/Dort/Real/Barca ownership,
and informing them they have to shutdown for 2 months.
Or do the leagues continue minus the National team players?

Qatar was a bribe, and now the lies are coming home to roost.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
I wonder if the plug does get pulled on Qatar, would Zidane have to payback his $15M Euro?

And would FIFA then refund Qatar all their bribes?
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Blatter: Awarding Qatar World Cup may have been 'mistake'

Awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar may well have been "a mistake", FIFA president Sepp Blatter said for the first time on Monday.

Staging the tournament in the Middle East has caused much controversy because if it is held over its traditional dates in the middle of the year, players will have to contend with searing 50 degrees Celsius heat.

Calls to move the World Cup to later in the year, during the European winter, have also been unpopular as it will cause major disruption to domestic league competitions in countries such as Spain, England, Italy, Germany and France.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
Yeah right, Sepp!!!!! After your wallett is full. Gimme  back me petro dollar, Sepp, or I will cut off your........

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »
Steups!!  Hosting the World Cup is the only time I support the US in anything related to football.  Would not have minded the UK either......expensive but would not have minded it......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Guess what!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2416155/European-teams-winter-Qatar-2022-World-Cup-ahead.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Qatari Money outbids TV money I guess.

Regardless of wether Qatar deserve it or not; FIFA's own bidding rules have been circumvented by FIFA. The US, S.Korea and Australia should sue. What ah farce.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>