March 28, 2024, 03:26:28 PM

Author Topic: Radanfah Abu Bakr thread  (Read 22285 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Radanfah Abu Bakr thread
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
Defender Radanfah Abu Bakr has signed with Indonesia Liga 1 club, PS Tira. Abu Bakr last played with Sūduva Marijampolė in the Lithuanian A Lyga.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »
WATCH: Defender Radanfah Abu Bakr opens his scoring account in only his second game with PS Tira

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/osCZP5JkGRQ?start=163" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/osCZP5JkGRQ?start=163</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
The age factor is not a problem for Radanfah Abu Bakr. Since recruiting the 31-year old Trinidad and Tobago defender during the second round of Indonesia Liga 1, PS Tira’s defence has solidified. In the last five matches, the team has only conceded two goals. He even garners praise from his opponents. Bhayangkara FC playmaker Paulo Sergio says that Abu Bakr’s ability to read the game and his composure in defending are second to none. Abu Bakr’s performances have seen him nominated to the Liga 1 Team of the Week four times in seven weeks. He has also been made captain of PS Tira.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:25:10 AM by Tallman »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2018, 05:18:42 AM »
Sergio says that Abu Bakr’s ability to read the game and his composure in defending are second to none. Abu Bakr’s performances have seen him nominated to the Liga 1 Team of the Week four times in seven weeks. He has also been made captain of PS Tira.

People always used to complain about his lack of pace but I always noted that the defence conceded less when Bakr was partnered with Bateau in the centre. During that period when we had Cyrus and Marshall all competing for the starting role.  He brought a sense of calm and leadership. Off the ball attributes, i guess, which would not as obvious to those who not on the field.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:25:30 AM by Tallman »
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:14 PM »
WATCH: Radanfah Abu Bakr - 2018 Season Highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wgfTmWBTlEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wgfTmWBTlEg</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Sergio says that Abu Bakr’s ability to read the game and his composure in defending are second to none. Abu Bakr’s performances have seen him nominated to the Liga 1 Team of the Week four times in seven weeks. He has also been made captain of PS Tira.

People always used to complain about his lack of pace but I always noted that the defence conceded less when Bakr was partnered with Bateau in the centre. During that period when we had Cyrus and Marshall all competing for the starting role.  He brought a sense of calm and leadership. Off the ball attributes, i guess, which would not as obvious to those who not on the field.

You don't need speed if you're already in the right place at the right time!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2019, 12:40:19 PM »
WATCH: Radanfah Abu Bakr rounds off the scoring in Churchill Brothers FC Goa's 4-2 win over Mohun Bagan.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MGD0_jUok9M?start=462" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MGD0_jUok9M?start=462</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
WATCH: Radanfah Abu Bakr marks his second consecutive game with a goal in Churchill Brothers FC Goa's 2-1 loss to Indian Arrows

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JcGnQLJne_8?start=172" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JcGnQLJne_8?start=172</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »
Churchill might be down for a new keeper. Some of this footage is comical in a 'football ballet' sort ah way, except the slow motion dribbling is at that actual speed.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 06:21:24 AM »
Churchill might be down for a new keeper. Some of this footage is comical in a 'football ballet' sort ah way, except the slow motion dribbling is at that actual speed.

Not terribly surprised, the quality of the majority of players is poor even by T&T standards - foreign players are drafted in for back-bone, but it looks like few are interested in developing from within in a serious manner, looking from the outside.

It's also likely that the best talent is nicked by cricket, which doesn't help.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 07:29:48 AM »
WATCH: Radanfah Abu Bakr heads home his 3rd goal of the 2019/20 campaign during Churchill Brothers FC Goa's 2-1 loss to TRAU FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0K4m6iLATEc?start=71" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0K4m6iLATEc?start=71</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
Churchill Brothers FC Goa defender Radanfah Abu Bakr named to the I-League Team of the Month for January 2020.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2020, 07:01:35 AM »
“There is life after football” my dad always insisted - Abu Bakr
By Radanfah Abu Bakr (pushinglimits.net)

With the world on pause, reflection is inevitable - even for footballers. My time with the national team will always trump any experience with a club. Don’t get me wrong, my club experiences have been amazing, but it’s just a totally different vibe. It's a massive responsibility but the sense of pride you feel when representing your country is incomparable.

In 2009, my competitive debut and first start for the senior team was a true baptism of fire. Russell Latapy gave me the nod at age 22 in a World Cup Qualifier against Mexico in front of over 80 thousand spectators at the legendary Azteca stadium. The noise inside that cauldron was deafening. A teammate a mere five meters away couldn't hear you even if you were screaming at the top of your lungs.

The experience became even more surreal when we conceded within the first minute, without even touching the ball! My dream of playing for the senior team had almost instantaneously turned into a nightmare. Certainly not the most auspicious beginning. Thankfully we acquitted ourselves admirably thereafter and managed to equalise. In the end we were unfortunate to eventually go down 2-1. 

After playing the remainder of those qualifiers, a stress fracture in my foot kept me out of football for almost a year. Recovery from such a  setback is lengthy and painstaking; but in that period I developed a work ethic that has stuck with me ever since. It also gave me the chance to improve on my shortcomings and understand the game a lot better.

My pace, or lack thereof, was often cited as a flaw. I improved other aspects of my game to compensate, but still knew I had to get quicker. At 6’4, this is hard work, but work that I was willing to put in in order to cut it at international level. My skipping rope and ladder became my best friends, staples in my extra individual sessions. I’ve always been my strongest critic, not in a negative way, but in a way that would never allow me to settle for anything other than “better”.

I try to never compare myself with others, but rather with who I was the day before. Football is not an office job; you’re always on display and people will have their opinions. I think for me it was always important to filter out the relevant messages from the irrelevant ones.

I’m not sure if or how I would’ve negotiated that challenging period without the backing of my family. Indeed my career might not have materialised if it wasn’t for them. I remember my mother being prepared on the sidelines with a snow cone in hand  after my U-12 & U-14 games with Coach Dada’s Trendsetter Hawks in the Queen’s Park Savannah.

I recall giving my dad the biggest high-five behind the goal where I scored on QRC grounds in a college league game. He was  coach, psychologist, fan, motivator, football guru and more ㅡ a lot more in fact. Anyone who claims to have been a regular at football matches in which I played will acknowledge that there was a tacitly reserved section in the stands for my family members both for club, and especially for national team matches. My parents provided every support imaginable. It wasn’t unconditional though. There was an academic standard that had to be maintained in order for me to be allowed to continue to play. “There is life after football” my dad always insisted.

The discipline that my parents instilled to prioritise and establish balance in my pursuits was critical in my personal and professional development. My dad and I still frequently have lengthy discussions about the game, both the on-field happenings, and the politics off of it.

After the injury layoff, I would have to wait another three years for a recall. A pair of decent performances away to Romania and Estonia earned me a place in the newly appointed Stephen Hart’s 2013 Gold Cup Squad. A summer tournament meant that most of the guys were in their off-season. I knew I had a bit of an advantage over them because my season in Kazakhstan was in full swing at that time. Still, I had to watch from the bench as we stumbled to a draw in the opener against El Salvador; then we were on the brink of elimination after being brushed aside 2-0 by Haiti.

With most coaches you have a fair idea of who would be playing based on how the training sessions were set up, but Stephen Hart always left you guessing. He always insisted that once he selected you for his squad, you were good enough to play on the starting XI, but you would have to earn it. Everyone was there on merit. No one was there just to make up the numbers. Between the travel and the proximity of the tournament’s games, it was virtually impossible to get a full session in, so I would always find the gym as soon as we checked into a hotel to keep pace with those who played.

The night before the final must-win group game against Honduras, Coach Hart came to me after dinner and said “if we get a clean sheet tomorrow we’ll qualify. . . Are you ready to help deliver that?” I assured him I was, but prior to that conversation I honestly didn’t expect to play, so much so that I went a little too hard in the gym that very morning, the effects of which I felt during the game. I silently endured my muscle soreness and we overcame Honduras 2-0.

“A clean sheet is all you wanted, coach? Why you didn’t ask me before?” I quipped amidst the post-game celebrations. I always saw that game as the catalyst for my revival at the international level. For the team, it also sparked a period of relative success under Hart that hadn’t been seen since the glory of the 2006 World Cup qualification.

I became a fixture in the team thereafter as we built a solid unit that grew into one of

the most respected and feared teams in the CONCACAF. We were eventually edged out 1-0 in the quarterfinal by Mexico and at the same stage two years later, this time to Panama, in a heartbreaking penalty shootout. Sandwiched between that, was a Caribbean Cup runners-up finish. Among those results were two unforgettable draws against Mexico, 4-4 at the 2015 Gold Cup and 3-3 in a friendly a couple months later.

Coach Hart helped convince us that we could match and overcome any team in the region, and that belief began to show in our performances and results. Perhaps at times he believed in us more than some of us believed in our own abilities. The battle for places was intense! But that never undermined the camaraderie in the squad around that time which was unlike anything I’ve ever felt in any team in my entire nomadic career thus far.

We took this momentum into the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers where we negotiated a tricky semi-final round group with two key back to back results. First a 1-2  win in Guatemala. This was no mean feat considering our famed 2006 Soca Warriors - with Yorke, Hislop, Lawrence and Stern John in that lineup - were trampled there, 5-1 along their qualification route. That was followed by a solid 0-0 draw at home against the USA a few days later.

I remember the huge Trinidad and Tobago flag draped over our fans in the uncovered section. Both the President and Prime Minister came out to greet us before kickoff. The rhythm sections in the near sold-out crowd all contributed to the truly special atmosphere that night. Sadly it was to be the last time the Hasely Crawford Stadium would be anywhere near capacity till this day― besides of course on Machel Monday.

The fortunes of the team plummeted thereafter as a new TTFA administration sought to dismantle the staff and squad. I too, became a casualty. By the time we had finished bottom of the HEX, I had already been unceremoniously phased out, along with several other previously key senior players. I have rarely felt so confident about something in football, so it still irks me to think about how the opportunity to qualify for that World Cup evaporated in the manner in which it did. The less said about that the better I suppose. But what’s for sure is that when you reach rock bottom, the only direction you can go is up. That upward trajectory is long overdue for T&T football.

My appetite to train and compete remains as strong as ever, maybe even more so with the current enforced hiatus. Admittedly though, that ‘life after football’ is a lot closer than I might want to acknowledge. I’m still undecided as to which path I will take after retirement, but my preferences definitely lean towards an endeavour that is sport related; management, administration, coaching perhaps.

I believe that the vast and varied experiences that I’ve accrued throughout my travels would serve me well in those capacities. I’m also keen to give back and rectify some of the issues that I had to endure as a player, that can all too often limit the potential of T&T’s footballers and athletes in general.

God willing, when this time of reflection and introspection is over, I sincerely hope that we do NOT simply return to business as usual. Rather, we grasp this opportunity to restructure and reform not just our football, but our society at large, of which the flaws and inequalities have been amplified by this pandemic. Forever an optimist, I eagerly await my participation in the manifestation of this ‘new normal’.

Radanfah Abu Bakr is a Trinidad and Tobago defender now based in India. He has played professionally in Belgium, Estonia, Indonesia, Denmark, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, England and Trinidad  and Tobago with Caledonia AIA. He was educated at Queen's Royal College and Kingston University in London. He holds a BA in Business Management.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
WATCH: Radanfah Abu Bakr - 2019/20 Season Highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0B5p0PqQJok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0B5p0PqQJok</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »
Radanfah Abu Bakr on racism: The perception is we are lazy and create trouble
ESPN India

I'm from Trinidad & Tobago. I've played football around the world and I've had my fair share of experiences with racism. It was particularly bad in Eastern Europe. But I've been lucky that I haven't experienced anything close to that in Indonesia and India, where I've played most recently. Perhaps it's the fact that our skin tones are not so different compared to how it is in Europe. At the same time I am conscious that it might be easier for me compared to others, I can almost pass off as an Indian in many places. Some of the players from Africa don't have that and unfortunately they face the spotlight much more.

In India, like in Trinidad, we see fair-skinned as better. You see that with the Indian actors getting their skin bleached and promoting lighter skin. It's a lot harder to be overtly racist with me. I'm 6' 5". That probably doesn't encourage a lot of people to say things. At the same time, I don't really notice a lot of racism. I'm also someone who doesn't tolerate any injustice so I will speak out about it. It could be that it doesn't exist or it could be that it's so normal that I don't notice it. I've come to realise a lot of racism is very subtle and sinister.

When foreign players come to India, there's always a feeling that you have to justify your place in the side. It's a lot more if you are of African descent. You have to work twice as hard. You know that there are some stereotypes that come so you have to work extra hard to change it. I know that players of African descent have to go extra steps in being professional. The perception is that we are lazy and create trouble. I always have to make sure that no one can say that about me. It's not just me, all the Trinidad players before me made sure to do that.

There's also a perception that we can only play a certain way. We are seen as the guys who can push down a wall if we need to. Physically very strong but not someone who can use intelligence on the field. That's the belief across the world. Players of African descent are seen as extremely strong but lacking brains. But that's not true at all.

A lot of people are surprised to realise that I'm a very articulate and intelligent person. But I've studied a lot and only began my football career after completing my graduation. A lot of people speak to me and when they find out I'm a footballer, they ask me 'what is it you really do?' There is this perception in their head about footballers and especially those of African descent.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Abu Bakr: Disappointed to be out, but pleased with effort
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
Abu Bakr: Disappointed to be out, but pleased with effort
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian)

T&T defender Radanfah Abu Bakr stated that the T&T Soca Warriors are disappointed to be out of the Concacaf Gold Cup after the group stage but should hold their heads high.

The T&T senior men's football team with interim head coach Angus Eve in charge drew goalless with reigning champion Mexico in their Pool A opener of the Gold Cup before losing 2-0 to El Salvador followed by a 1-1 draw with Guatemala, to end with two points and third spot in their group thus failing to advance to the quarterfinals.

This after the national team won their Preliminary Round qualifiers, first against Montserrat 6-1 followed by an 8-7 sudden-death penalty-kicks triumph over French Guiana after a 1-1 full-time draw to seal a spot in the group stages.

However, before their Gold Cup campaign, the T&T team was in turmoil having just been booted from the Concacaf Qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA Qatar World Cup after ending in the second spot to St Kitts and Nevis in a five-team round-robin pool from which only the winner advance to the Concacaf Second Round of qualification.

During the qualifiers, T&T defeated Guyana 3-0 but then drew 1-1 with Puerto Rico, 0-0 with minnows Bahamas, before blanking already qualified St Kitts and Nevis 2-0 to end in the second spot with seven points, two behind the group winner.

Following the failed World Cup campaign, then coach, Englishman Terry Fenwick was axed and replaced on an interim basis by Eve, who was given a contract until August 31 ahead of the Fifa-installed Normalisation Committee's appointment of a permanent replacement for Fenwick.

Based on the team's displays during the Gold Cup, Eve should no doubt be among the candidates for the vacant position and speaking on his return home on Wednesday night from the  Gold Cup where he played a key role in T&T's opening goalless draw with Mexico, 34-year-old Abu Bakr who is attached to PS Tira in Indonesia said, "Obviously we are a little bit disappointed not to still be in the competition, but we could be pleased with what we have done out there.

"It's just about now building and learning from some of the errors and picking up some momentum now."

Reflecting on the team's involvement in the competition, Abu Bakr who has two goals in 38 senior team appearances said he thought the highlight of the campaign has to be the performances of everyone.

"We used our full squad and everybody contributed and it's hard to pinpoint any one person so it's just the super team effort and the pride that we played with that was the highlight for me."

Looking forward, former Queen's Royal College stalwart Abu Bkar who has played locally for Joe Public and Morvant Caledonia United said, "We have to get back playing football, especially the local guys. We have to stay fit and we have to build on the performances and all the experiences that we have had in the last few weeks and we have to be stronger.

"We played for ourselves, for each other, for our teammates, families of course, and the fans and everybody in T&T who suffered through this pandemic and suffered through a low point in our football. This is for them and of course, some of our injured brothers who sort of fell along the way in this journey, so Khaleem (Hyland) and Jones (Joevin) and all the boys who fought so hard with us, this is dedicated to them as well."

Another tireless performer for T&T during the competition was Canada-based striker and former Fatima College student, 27-year-old Ryan Telfer said the end of the campaign is a bittersweet moment.

Telfer, who has five goals in 15 senior teams appearances and featured in all the team's matches, added, "Knowing where we were as T&T football a couple of months ago, being knocked out of the World Cup qualifying campaign and then being able to turn things around quickly with a new coaching staff and maybe some new players and just being able to go through that pre-qualifying campaign to qualify for the Gold Cup, was huge for us.

"It was a big step for us and then obviously the results against Mexico is something that the whole on T&T and maybe Mexico was ultimately surprised about but it was a proud moment for all the guys here.

"Having that results against El Salvador and losing that game that hurt us a lot because of what we did in that game before against Mexico, and then hopefully trying to get something out of the Guatemala game, which we ultimately ended up tying the game that we believed that we should have won, but all-in-all it's a good note from where we were before and a huge step in what's to come in T&T football."

Concerning the rest of the year, Telfer said based on what has happened the team has to take it one step at a time.

He said, “Through all the turmoils the federation and the players have been through, this is a huge step for us and we just have to take it one game at a time when it comes, and if it comes in the form of an international friendly or when Nations League starts back up."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
WATCH: Highlights of Radanfah Abu Bakr's performance against Mexico at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JMcz3uludck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JMcz3uludck</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mind Games: Radanfah Abu Bakr talks about the mental health of athletes
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2021, 08:12:34 AM »
Mind Games: Radanfah Abu Bakr talks about the mental health of athletes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C5ZamZdzeDA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C5ZamZdzeDA</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »
Condolences, Radanfah.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
Condolences to the family.