March 28, 2024, 01:32:00 PM

Author Topic: The future for T&T national team  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The future for T&T national team
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
I'm betting that many of the guys on the field tonight won't be in Hart's next squad.

Hart has a clear mandate: Qualify for 2018.

That's 5 years away. He will want to form a nucleus of 35 players who are currently under the age of 25. He has to assume that T&T will be at the WC2018.

So he will try out a lot of guys between 18 and 25. He won't worry about losing friendlies.

Some of tonights squad will be in the mix in the qualifying faze, but many such as Glen, Edwards, Birchall etc may have played their last game.

This is a very important 2 years for T&T and if Hart knows his stuff, I feel that given a decent WC draw, we will be there in 2018.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: The future for T&T national team
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
We need to get the right balance though as the T&T public needs to see decent football and a few victories from our national senior team against decent opponents to turn them back onto T&T football in mass but the process of turning them back on has already begun!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
You know something we don't know about the longevity of Hart's reign?

I certainly hope he is kept on board for the long term.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
So it goes . but some seniors will still hang around to guide the youths. Can't be a wholesale change over
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
I agree with Socapro, we did a world of good for our football by playing well in what is widely seen as a "meaningless" gold cup. I think there are plenty of goals we can set for ourselves before 2018. We need to return to the next gold cup,make the knockout round of that, qualify for the copa america 2016. All of those things happen before the 2018 World Cup. It is important to find the right balance of players or else youll end up like Canada was in this Gold Cup. Now i do agree with the fact that Glenn, Birchall, Theobald and Edwards have probably seen their last days with the team but i do think that older players such as Jones, Boucard and Hoyte can continue to contribute to this team even though they are over 25.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
I agree with Socapro, we did a world of good for our football by playing well in what is widely seen as a "meaningless" gold cup. I think there are plenty of goals we can set for ourselves before 2018. We need to return to the next gold cup,make the knockout round of that, qualify for the copa america 2016. All of those things happen before the 2018 World Cup. It is important to find the right balance of players or else youll end up like Canada was in this Gold Cup. Now i do agree with the fact that Glenn, Birchall, Theobald and Edwards have probably seen their last days with the team but i do think that older players such as Jones, Boucard and Hoyte can continue to contribute to this team even though they are over 25.

Yuh better believe it.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
dis is my take, I've said it over and over,Trinidad and Tobago do not have de luxury of excluding men because of age,where dey born,where dey grow up or any other means. WE TOO SMALL. Yes it will be nice if we team is made up of some young guns but we will be foolish to exclude men because of age. If at 40 you is still de best,yuh still have to represent.Look we just had a 62 year old man who won the men national table tennis championships,he beat a 14yr old in de finals and yuh know what, he is part of de national team to de Caribbean championships yuh cyar exclude him.
if we have young guns better or even the same level as the older guys no problem but please doh put raw unproven men out there because of their age to embarrass we AGAIN,cyar take dat.           

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
If at 40 you is still de best,yuh still have to represent.
How I see it.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
Sense Royal, doh tink DW is recommending "disposing" of anyone who clearly still have it in the twiglight of his years, his salient point is that we have to build for the future.  I for one salivating when I think we still have Peltire, Guerra, Hector, Bateau, Primus and others who were not even on this roster for one reason or another.  We need to blood some young strikers though, lacking in this department, elsewhere looks like we have some depth....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
I agree.  Though it'll be great to 'go-younger', if a player still has what it takes to succeed at this level, then they must be considered.  You can't measure talent, commitment, and endurance, purely by one's age.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:10:25 AM »
dis is my take, I've said it over and over,Trinidad and Tobago do not have de luxury of excluding men because of age,where dey born,where dey grow up or any other means. WE TOO SMALL. Yes it will be nice if we team is made up of some young guns but we will be foolish to exclude men because of age. If at 40 you is still de best,yuh still have to represent.Look we just had a 62 year old man who won the men national table tennis championships,he beat a 14yr old in de finals and yuh know what, he is part of de national team to de Caribbean championships yuh cyar exclude him.
if we have young guns better or even the same level as the older guys no problem but please doh put raw unproven men out there because of their age to embarrass we AGAIN,cyar take dat.           

except for roger miller how many other players carry a team at 40  if we depend on a 40 year old we going to where
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 06:26:52 AM »
I think we have a certain nucleus in place and in the near future (< 3yrs) we should work with these players and target foreign nationals with trini links for certain missing positions. I like what Cyrus and J Jones could potentially bring to the table - if we could form a strategy to have them systematically take on the opposition in their half...  I think we need to target one or two center backs  maybe even just to help improve Power and Mitchell's game. I don't like Abu Bakr unless we in a pinch. The midfield is okay, and I like how Hart is developing them to perform midfield duties outside of their perceived strengths - Daniel in a more defensive role etc. To me it looks like he is going for 4 well rounded midfielders (attack & defense). we could use a couple more impactful substitute forwards.
I mostly agree with the 1st post. It might also be a good time to start changing the old guard, but I still think they have a bit to offer and can be phased out.  Carlos can be reinvented as a super sub for years to come strictly running at defenders (esp since he plays at a higher club level than most). Glenn good for a 1st half while his replacement is groomed for the next 10 games. Theobald could be given the ultimatum of drastically improiving his offensive game or retiring (and i know for some reason he was made the scapegoat for all the ills of T&T football recently)..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »
I have to admit, I'm in a quandary as to how Hart should move forward.

While I strongly believe that creating a young squad ready for 2018 is essential, in order to move players to decent leagues, we need to get into - and remain - in the top 70.

Friendlies in 2014 are unimportant and it doesn't matter if we lose, as long as we develop a strong squad for the 2018 qualifiers. But, again, domestically, winning is important.

For the qualifiers and Gold Cup, we still need experience and KJ a few other can provide that. I would like to see Glen on the bench as he can come on at 70 minutes and win free kicks and pens and his fresh legs against a tired defence could be a lethal weapon. Plus, to me, he is our best at playing the lone striker role and our youngsters could learn from him if he's in the squad.

We must give Hart the latitude to develop and learn about his players and try to put results second for a while, as much as we like (and need) to win.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The future of national team seem bright when you consider
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »
that the entire back four yesterday are our reserves. No diss to these brave warriors, it just shows that we have depth and continue to build. Our starting back four would, with all things being equal, would be Hoyte, mitchell, Primus and Jones. Our midfield was also made up of reserves and some who wont be around for 2018. Our midfield should look like GUerra, Hyland Peltier molino Hector and dont forget Paul. Our Strikers would be Jones and I expect that within the next 3-4 years two or three would raise their hands to be alongside Jones.

It looks bright. I am happy again. I am totally convinced that JW should pay a price for abusing our football so badly.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: The future of national team seem bright when you consider
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 06:49:11 AM »
Jack time will come. Sometimes People take longer to get what they deserve. It already start for him
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
Stephen Hart should now take a hard look at the youths on the various younger teams ..his philosophy now should be to play more attacking football like Mexico,Brazil,Haiti,Panama, and others..to implement such a style we have to look for and encourage the forwards who like to penetrate. It seems as though for some reason we have gone to using "back to the goal"" forwards which isn't bad because they can do it but we need to have runners.I can think about two players..Shemar Ravello and Yafeu Rougier.
Not only should he be watching the Pro league and foreign leagues but the College Leagues and High school InterCol.
We have to be bold and brave and willing to take a chance on playing with 3 forwards..Right now 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 is too defensive for us because we spend to much time without possession which not only causes physical exhaustion but also mental.
We have Kenwyne Jones who is the spearhead to our attack we need three penetrative forwards for him to knock down balls to.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
I know Stephen Hart went Benedict's and he would have seen our National team play in the early 70's..I know he is aware of the type of forwards I am referring to..Bert Neptune was also that type of forward.
Leroy Deleon told me that when Benedict's had sports day its was a toss up who would win the 100 yd dash because he ,Jan Steadman, Archibald, David ,all would run the 100yd below 11secs.
I saw Leonson run in Sports Day and ran the 100m in 11secs flat at 16yrs.
These are the type of players we need up front.
I have a tape of a final btwn Miami and Los Angeles NASL final 1974 ..Archibald and David playing for Miami..and all those two were doing was running at the defence..all game long.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
coache, you sounding like ah coach. I thought SH went Sando Tech. I might wrong?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:13:13 AM by Deeks »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
coache, you sounding like ah coach. I thought SH went Sando Tech. I might wrong?

SH went Benedicts

He played club football for Hurricanes

When talking about the best T&T players....players like De Leon, Latas, Yorke etc names would come up.  SH would swear one of de best he ever see is Peter Lewis, a name not too many of this generation familiar with.

Coache brought up de name Bert Neptune.....SH was a big fan of Berta....in his day one of the deadliest strikers we ever produce.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »

except for roger miller how many other players carry a team at 40  if we depend on a 40 year old we going to where
Nobody is literally expecting a 40-year-old to be our best option. That would be a sad state of affairs. It's hyperbole. Point being made is the best player plays regardless of age. If a 22-year-old cyah bring it as good as the 32-year-old, den I doh want him playing just because he young. Let him watch de old man from de bench and learn how to step his game up.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »

Nobody is literally expecting a 40-year-old to be our best option. That would be a sad state of affairs. It's hyperbole. Point being made is the best player plays regardless of age. If a 22-year-old cyah bring it as good as the 32-year-old, den I doh want him playing just because he young. Let him watch de old man from de bench and learn how to step his game up.

My point exactly if a 40 yr old still our best option something  wrong but doh pick a yute because he young.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
Don't agree with the theory of simply getting rid of players based on their age, if you good enough, yuh good enough. T&T too small to be doing such things. I agree you shouldn't build a team around ageing veteran's, there should be a focus on building a core of talented younger players but there should always be a place for the elder statesmen. Especially if their game is as good or better than the youngsters. Experience combined with ability counts a lot; in all sports.

Latapy and Yorke are the two most obvious examples. To dump specific players simply because there is a belief that they will be too old for a future tournament.....nah ah doh buy it. My motto is 'Always keep your options open'.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
Pick the best players eligible to play , whether they're 17 or 34, whether they were born in Belmont or Brixton . This is an area where we can't follow international best practices because our peculiar situation where :

1)we have a very small population
2)We have diaspora around the world who may add value.

Accordingly the association as any other must take stepsto improve player development through better training of administrators, coaches ,trainers and referees.

Additionally scouting has to be seen as a critical area function for the association. There has to be a pathway for interested players to assessed and selected on national teams. Obviously they could use the internet to help but there also should be a presence in those countries.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »
Yo FS, food for thought. Please, forgive my ignorance, and that is because I don't  know everything. I am by no means totally ignorant, but I thought I would pick your brain because you are much closer to the footballing action at home than I am and you know what you are talking about.

What up and coming young player in TnT fits the mold of a playmaker?. Let me give you an idea of what I am referring to.

A playmaker operates in midfield or advanced midfield and dictates the tempo of a match with his passing and dribbling skills. I am not talking about your wide playmakers like a Ronaldo or Robben. I am talking central mid. The dictator, if you will.

Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, Wesley Sneijder, Fabregas, Luka Modric, Samir Nasri, Kaka, Bastian Schweinsteiger. Just to name a few.

Any young player/s come to your mind that fits that mold. Indulge me, my learned friend.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:40:31 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
Yo FS, food for thought. Please, forgive my ignorance, and that is because I don't  know everything. I am by no means totally ignorant, but I thought I would pick your brain because you are much closer to the footballing action at home than I am and you know what you are talking about.

What up and coming young player in TnT fits the mold of a playmaker?. Let me give you an idea of what I am referring to.

A playmaker operates in midfield or advanced midfield and dictates the tempo of a match with his passing and dribbling skills. I am not talking about your wide playmakers like a Ronaldo or Robben. I am talking central mid. The dictator, if you will.

Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, Wesley Sneijder, Fabregas, Luka Modric, Samir Nasri, Kaka, Bastian Schweinsteiger. Just to name a few.

Any young player/s come to your mind that fits that mold. Indulge me, my learned friend.

Well, I don't see a lot of other clubs' players, but the first player that sprung to mind is Darren Mitchell. He can sprint like an Olympic athlete (literally), he's great going forward and he's learning his defensive duties well. I would describe him more as a "Paul Scholes" box to box type player, but he has a good touch and control.

I also think that Daniel Cyrus could be a better midfielder than a defender. Not sure if he could run with the ball and accurately pass under pressure, but I feel he has more to his game. Seon Power is also a defender who could play an attacking role, in my view.

But then, I always view the game through English eyes, so my idea of a play maker is different than most Trinis. I feel we pass the ball too much and this allows the defence time to organise. We will never be Spain, because we do not have the depth of talent. Our best bet against the Mexicans, Americans, Dutch, Spanish etc would be to play the game that we're naturally good at. Make the transition at lightning pace. Fast, strong, powerful. We breed big, strong fast guys, but we make then play short passes along the ground.

In the Mexican game, the first 30 minutes saw the Mexicans struggling as we hammered forward. Once we let them slow the pace, we had to defend on our 18 yard box.

Take the game to them. Fast wingers, big centre forwards. Intimidate, jostle, unsettle. Thats why KJ and Glen do so well, they play the English way. It's not total football, in fact, it's often total chaos, but if we perfect it, we could one day win a Gold Cup.

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted!! 

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

Well, I don't see a lot of other clubs' players, but the first player that sprung to mind is Darren Mitchell. He can sprint like an Olympic athlete (literally), he's great going forward and he's learning his defensive duties well. I would describe him more as a "Paul Scholes" box to box type player, but he has a good touch and control.

I also think that Daniel Cyrus could be a better midfielder than a defender. Not sure if he could run with the ball and accurately pass under pressure, but I feel he has more to his game. Seon Power is also a defender who could play an attacking role, in my view.

But then, I always view the game through English eyes, so my idea of a play maker is different than most Trinis. I feel we pass the ball too much and this allows the defence time to organise. We will never be Spain, because we do not have the depth of talent. Our best bet against the Mexicans, Americans, Dutch, Spanish etc would be to play the game that we're naturally good at. Make the transition at lightning pace. Fast, strong, powerful. We breed big, strong fast guys, but we make then play short passes along the ground.

In the Mexican game, the first 30 minutes saw the Mexicans struggling as we hammered forward. Once we let them slow the pace, we had to defend on our 18 yard box.

Take the game to them. Fast wingers, big centre forwards. Intimidate, jostle, unsettle. Thats why KJ and Glen do so well, they play the English way. It's not total football, in fact, it's often total chaos, but if we perfect it, we could one day win a Gold Cup.

I share some of your sentiments. Really.........
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
To make our mark in Concacaf we need to identify with-in the depths that there is a need to standardize everything that a football manager must assess, the quality and talent of players that are available to build and to blend a pattern around that.There is a need to stabilise and establish our pattern of play with specific features of our territory including teams with-in the national fold with an objective in mind "sports oriented intellectual" to ensure and to identify with our culture with recognation for success nationwide. Always maintained the approach to the game dictated by the quality of the talent available infuse it with the central elements of our game as they see fit clearly with the intent for a measure of successful results with-in our style of play.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
very impressed by the humility and the desire to learn by Mr.Charles. As a matter of fact in the formative stages of the Caribbean Cup prior to another co coach joining him, I thought he had the younger players responding well and the team was actually holding their own. I see this coach with a future in developing local talent and grooming players for our national teams.

I hope that these coaches are part of a restructuring program working with our U-15-, U17,U20 and U23 team.Not only the players but also the coaches. Mr.Hart having being familiar with the Canadian regional and provincial programs could probably assist in structuring regional programs on the islands and reframing the game at the college level. I think with the assistance of government funding, initiatives like this could benefit greatly than a band aid approach  of spending millions to bring a Shaq O Neil for a basketball token appearance and prize money and resulting in no sustainable  improvement in the social fabric or game in TnT. Our performance in this tournament could serve as the catalyst to move our program in a new direction. I believe that we have the personnel from the new administrators to the coaching staff to forge ahead for a rebirth of our football legacy.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

would personally go for mix of passing and pace/power because I fear going back to games where the team got fragmented and the mids got completely cutoff from the strikers, an example of what I mean would be Ancelotti's chelsea team that year they broke the the prem scoring record, battering Ram meets quick short quick passing......if anything I think we can continue the way we are going now just up the tempo and physical nature of the play as much as possible ..............but when we are too direct all of the time we become predictable...........IMV we missed Peltier, molino and H Hector badly, particularly against Mexico and Haiti

also while a "magical" playmaker is a nice to have, I think it's not vital...........Latas and players like him are a rare breed that can't be made, those are born..........
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:56:36 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
What is a "magical" playmaker? Who said anything about a "magical" playmaker?
What is this "battering ram" theory? That is what you want the rest of us to settle for?

WTF??????

FS, are you serious? There are "8". Count them. "8" teams in the pro cemetery. I find it difficult to believe that you haven't seen all "8" teams in action at some point. Your team included. The only playmakers you could come up with is Cyrus and Power or whoever? Hector, Molino, and whatever? That's it? You mean to tell me there are no young skillfull playmakers in TNT football that can control a game for his team? No wonder why football is in trouble in TnT.
Darren Mitchell is great going forward??????? What does that entail?
You are right. That is not the answer I was looking for.
Come on dude, you could do better than that.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

1]; } ?>