April 19, 2024, 05:44:26 AM

Author Topic: How I almost did not make it to Atlanta  (Read 9682 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How I almost did not make it to Atlanta
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
How I almost did not make it to Atlanta, Post game and Fete match Report

All photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/111955933233675289398/TTVsMexicoAtlantaPostGame#

Well folks, as of Friday afternoon 3pm, I was not going anywhere this weekend. However my thirsty meter was rising off the charts and when my sister sent me a message that a VIP ticket would be awaiting me in Atlanta, my reaction was this:

So I sprang into action and purchased a flight using my reward miles arriving at 3pm in Atlanta on Saturday. I was looking rosy. (FYI I could have gotten the 9am flight if I had sprang into action earlier eh)

Saturday morning and I head out to the airport feeling like supertrini, kit out in red, with red zip-up for on the plane. Heavy soca pumping on my headphones! Now bam I reach Newark and first ting I see... flight delayed one hour! Well meh belly start to twist, bogle, Iwer, shadow, butterfly and wave. I take a walk to breeze off, I say no scene. I go miss the first half of the first game. I ent bound for dat. So eventually we board and flight going smooth. I start to bep. Boodoom Boodoom. A piece of turbulence wake me up only for me to hear the pilot say bad weather over the airport, so there will be a slight delay. No worries folks, we'll be on the ground in no time.

Some time later... Pilot: The storm has not dissipated, we're in a circular holding pattern above Atlanta, but no worries folks, we'll be on the ground in no time.

Plenty much more time later... Well folks we almost out of gas, so we will be going to Huntsville Alabama to refuel and come back. It's only 20 mins away. No worries folks, we'll be on the ground in no time. FACK you mr pilot!

This is where we going.

My belly start to hear the quietly rising melody of iwer, butterfly, shadow, wave and start to do so :wavetowel: while I doing so  :frustrated:  But you know what, i try to look on the bright side. IF we turn it around fast and IF the weather clear up, all I have to do is jump on the MARTA at the airport and it taking me straight down by the Georgia Dome in 15 to 20 mins. Tight like a fish bottom but doable.

Now allyuh this is where things start to go wrong.  :rotfl:  We land in Hunstville and mr. pilot announce oh shimps, we on the job since 3am and FAA regulations say we have to clock off. Sorry about that. Also by the way no pilots available in Huntsville to fly de plan, so flight cancel. Good luck, bye now. crick crack wire bend story end.  Now this would have been fine if it was announced immediately, but mr pilot had we on that runway for almost an hour. It is now 5:30 EST and the game begins in one hour.

To be continued

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:20:33 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How I almost did not make it to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
CONTINUED

Now, I waste about 15 mins running around the terminal trying to get on some Delta flights that had also get diverted. But every last thing was full. I say every last thing, but it was 2 other flights. That airport was more quiet than Piarco on a Wednesday Lunch time. Make a few phone calls and realize my battery about to dead. I say is water more than flour. Huntsville can't be more than 150 miles from Atlanta. Straight down to the rental agencies. Half of them was close eh. On a flicking saturday afternoon! As luck would have it Enterprise had one solitary one way rental vehicle remaining, but the couple in front of me was looking to book it. I bet if I had ask for a horse to ride, they would have find plenty.  :cursing:

Well, the couple in front turn down the rental to check the booth next door and I didn't waste no time. I tell de lady me ent even want to hear de price. I taking this car Atlanta by hook or by crook. I bump the starter just a little after 6pm. Game starts in half hour. So I gunning to reach in about 2 hours and ketch de last half hour and maybe even Extra time and penalties if it come to that.

Traffic was light, I ent see no police, and the drive was scenic. Alabama is a beautiful state. The drive took me over the Tennessee river and up through the Eastern Alabama Hills. The problem was, it was all state roads 80% of the way until the I-75. Now periodically I would turn on my phone and ppl were giving me text updates. Still 0-0. We have dem in we back pocket. We almost score there. I thinking nice. I making it, this going to extra time for sure. Mark Bassant was also kind enough to send me pictures from the stadium that he would not use and I could post here. All that building vibes in meh. So I put my foot through the floor.

example:

I coulda cry with joy when I reach the 75  :wavetowel:  Less than 50 miles from Atlanta now. Oh Gawwwd I hit traffic by the 285  :nailbiting: Good thing I went to school here. I hit the back roads. if allyuh see maneuvers. Oh Lord look Northside Drive. Georgia Dome right up they!!!

Forumites, no lie. I was rolling outside de dome when I saw mexicans in and outside the Arena rejoicing. I could just hear the roar through some of the open glass doors. Well I ent know if is a goal, a penalty, a close call or a save. I now looking for a park. After a good bit of frustration, I end up making a gangster move and jump the curb (is only a rental) and squeeze in a lot. This time now, hundreds of mexicans are coming out and it is apparent the game over and there will be no extra time. Steups. But I was still up beat as all indication was that it was a terrific performance from our boys.

So i walk in the stadium, found an outlet and start to charge my phone, so I could link up with people. Eventually I made my way down to the Media zone and the press conference had concluded and I was just in time to see Hart walking out. I shook his hand and congratulate him on the tournament. The players were also leaving and the Press was interviewing Kenwyne. I probably just missed forumite Andre here.

A little while after Bassant and I went upstairs and met Shaka Hislop and William Wallace. Behind them came Raymond Tim Kee and Sheldon Phillips.

We chatted with them for a while, also saw a couple friends who work with the MLS and then it was time to head out.

Now whole day I was trying to link up with Fordy and some other partners. We end up in Hooters and lo and behold there is Fordy and some other TnT Fans with most of the team. So we lime there for a good while. Unfortunately I did not take any pics there but Fordy or his partners will have some. I will ask Bassant if he has any too. The fellas was upbeat and all the fans was happy with the new direction TnT football has begun take. Later on that night when we were leaving, Verron Haynes was walking in and hail out Shaka. Even later on, we end up in ah next spot and Haynes came in with Fuentes and we lime til last call. Everything was just cool and more than made up for missing the game.

NEXT, FETE MATCH

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
Cool story bro, but whey de Touches report?  :devil:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:39 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: Dawg I have to give it up to you, dat is determination at it's best. I might've been cussing out everybody in dat Alabama airport. Your story beat mine, I drove almost 9 hours to Augusta, GA on Sat. and I went through a few nasty thunder storms. I mean the storms were so bad drivers pulled off to the side due to poor visibility with the heavy down pours, not me, I say fack dat I pushing through dis. One time I found a 16 wheeler and tailgate the bitch all the way since all I could've seen was the back of the truck and nothing else, and that was just so I could reach Augusta in time to see the game on tv at 6:30.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »
I find both of allyuh reach far.

Saturday morning sun was bunnin, then bam, one setta storm and rain. And I not even that far south.

All I end up doing was liming with a Mexican partner and watching him sweat and cuss for 83 minutes.
I owe him $20 now. Never drink and bet...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
Fete Match continued

So Fordy and them fellas was holding a fete match on Sunday morning and had invited me to play from before, so I had my gears with me. I woke up and went to the team hotel and met with Tim-Kee and William Wallace and some of the other staff. I mentioned to them that some local Atlanta trinis were having a fete match and if they were not doing anything it would be nice if they came and greeted some of the fans and they accepted. Wayne Cunningham from GIS and TV4 and his cameraman Paul also were attending to do a story for the news.

On the drive I had a nice chat with Tim-Kee concerning his plans for the future and some of the past events. A lot of the discussion was under confidence but he mentioned the work on addressing the TTFA constitution. This is one of his most important tasks as before you even start to talk about Football, you need a framework to operate in. So the task force will get to work asap to develop some recommendations. They are also planning for the various teams and also the making sure that T&T always plays during FIFA match dates. He was very upset that we went a whole year without playing a game. Not even self a T&T pro league 11. So look out for some good quality friendlies not just the Saudi Arabia games. I can't say too much more and it was a very casual talk, but I am arranging for an official interview with me, him and Tallman when he gets back.

So the fete match went off nicely. Some of the forumites present were myself, Fordy, Ngozi and saltandfresh. Now I didn't self realise it was Ngozi until it was almost time to go. I sorry I didnt make him out earlier. Also we had Jerren Nixon and Kathy Nixon playing on our team. Also Wendell Moore was there with his kids. Shaquell Moore, captain of the US u-17 team was also there but he did not play as he is heading off to Ireland with the US team for a tournament. Oh yeah some of you will already know saltandfresh is Nigel Fabian. That man is a real pest. A natural comedian.  :rotfl: Anyhow Fordy can fill in the names I forget. Oh by the way Fordy and dem have a good ting going with that youth academy down there. A lot of good talent is coming out and the US is paying attention. We can't afford to lose another Shaquelle Moore to them. So it was good that Tim-Kee came and saw some of the youths who played on our team and met the fellas in charge.

Anyway, the sun was hot. the beers was cold and the pelau, macaroni pie and cole slaw real lash. The forumites side was Team Extreme and the next team was Drink and Jook it. Well we end up losing 4-3 to Drink and Jook it. It was a real fete match, with copious throwing away from both sides, some dodgy goal keeping and beat sharing. It also had a stream at the side of the field with an embankment and some bush and picker. It make me feel like I was playing in the mang back in the days everytime the ball went down dey.

Some pics from yesterday afternoon.

Tim-Kee in the shirt chatting with Wayne Cunningham in Red and Nigel Fabien in White and Red

Ngozi with the black and blue boots. Did not know it was him at the time.

Nicholson Paul - GIS, filming Drink and jook it

Paul and Cunningham

Fordy , middle foreground

Fordy #18

Yours truly FF in action

Raymond Tim-Kee and Jerren Nixon
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:42:07 PM by FF »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
Cool story bro, but whey de Touches report?  :devil:

ha ha ha you is real arse  :rotfl:

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
great stories guys hope admin,staff,players etc realize how important de team is to everybody. 

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Brilliant FF

Top Class mate

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
FF yuh real wuk for this tournament dred!!   :applause: :applause:

It cancels my pre-conceived notion of you that 100% Barataria plant in mih head last year..... :devil:  :whistling: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
ah almost forget. After the fete match I went straight to the airport. Is the same sh!t again. The plane that supposed to take we get diverted to South Carolina due to weather. I was supposed to reach back 8pm last night. I end up getting home, minutes to 2 this morning. I tired like a dog, thais why I ent doing no work today. I 95% sure meh boss doh read this forum

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »

It cancels my pre-conceived notion of you that 100% Barataria plant in mih head last year..... :devil:  :whistling: ;D

Barataria only sullying my name up and down this forum. I going and bench he arse on saturday  ;D

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

Barataria only sullying my name up and down this forum. I going and bench he arse on saturday  ;D

heh heh heh..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Lawd, yanqui life treating Jerren Nixon too good boy lol.  Good stuff FF and you better than me, I make ah Birmingham run back in de day to see GU and Iverson take on UNC with Wallace and Stackhouse and dem.  Yuh best believe I drive de people and dem speed limit... not me and Elluhbemma  :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
Rel japs n stag sweat boy.  Nixon get fat
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
Nigel Fabien say when Nixon get pull over, the police does ask for license and insurance.

When he pull it out, the police does ask, " and what about the next driver?"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
FF you's a real soldier dred
I woulda be cussin while watchin de ting on TV in huntsville.

soccerman kinda mad too ...drive all dat way too watch tv in banjo land
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
What is that in Tim hand?  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
Talk about effort.  Good goin and thanks for all the pics and vids from the tournament.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
What is that in Tim hand?  :devil:
Looks like a murse.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
i see mih pardner Lyndon in this picture. vex i miss de sweat man.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: Dawg I have to give it up to you, dat is determination at it's best. I might've been cussing out everybody in dat Alabama airport. Your story beat mine, I drove almost 9 hours to Augusta, GA on Sat. and I went through a few nasty thunder storms. I mean the storms were so bad drivers pulled off to the side due to poor visibility with the heavy down pours, not me, I say fack dat I pushing through dis. One time I found a 16 wheeler and tailgate the bitch all the way since all I could've seen was the back of the truck and nothing else, and that was just so I could reach Augusta in time to see the game on tv at 6:30.

This reminds me of my Germany story when my bredren book we in a hotel in Frankfurt Oden literally 3 mins walking distance from Polish border.  The day of the match in Kaiserslauteen is when I was able to get (as my luck would have it) ah fackin Smart Car and ha to drive hours upon hours on end to get to the game.  At least I reach in time to see most but Jah kno da was flikkin hectic as hell.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
i see mih pardner Lyndon in this picture. vex i miss de sweat man.

Lol yeah he score too. Along with the so call "fat man" alyuh saying in Nixon. The speed aint there but touches and finishing...pure class!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Lyndon could play. old school South baller. he is coach youth sides.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »
FF you doing a boss job. Keep it up. In 5 years you will be covering us in the World Cup
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
Respect FF

Great stuff, man
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
Drink and Jook it  :rotfl:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
 :notworthy: love the stories, all...nuff respect how yuh keep going...like a cruise missile..fine job, proud to a call yuh a warrior supporter

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
FF, you real crazy. God Bless :notworthy:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »

:rotfl:  we have been in the wilderness for a while.  One only has to examine the vibes at all our games to see what it does for our pysche, really hope we stay on de up and up   :beermug:

Brown, all wha ah sey still true  :devil:

Dread, when we read yuh e-mail before our big game on Sat (at 11.30am I mean  ;D), we scrtachin we head, sayin, wha de hell he doin in Bama?  preshha
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>