April 25, 2024, 11:48:34 PM

Author Topic: Shabazz says Beenhakker no magician  (Read 3955 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shabazz says Beenhakker no magician
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:45 PM »
Shabazz says Beenhakker no magician.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

Former national coach Jamaal Shabazz says the days of a magician coming to Trinidad and Tobago and making magic with the country’s football is an illusion.

Shabazz was speaking in light of T&T’s performance at the Concacaf Gold Cup in which the local team reached the quarter finals stage before losing 1-0 to Mexico on Saturday.

“I think where we go as a nation depends a lot on what the Federation provides to the various technical staff and coaches. I am not taking away from his input, but the team should have qualified for the quarterfinal regardless of Beenhakker’s appointment, because that is where our programme is at.”

“The days of a blonde magician coming to our shores and making magic is an illusion. Football needs resources to back up technical know-how if it to achieve anything, whether it is Anton Corneal or Leo Beenhakker at the helm.”

Shabazz praised the standard of play by the T&T Pro League-based players, who were instrumental in T&T’s progress and the eventual 1-0 narrow defeat at the feet of Mexico but said mechanisms were in place for T&T to reach the quarterfinal and play as it did against Mexico before the start of the tournament.

“I am very happy to see some of the Pro League players rise to the occasion, namely Daneil Cyrus, Cornell Glen, Joevin Jones and Jan Michael Williams, who joined with the players like Kenwyne Jones, Khaleem Hyland and Carlos Edwards and those playing in the highest levels in their (respective) leagues. The Pro League players were able to match their performances,” said Shabazz.

“I think some of the players have done enough to progress in their career. Hopefully these results warrant positive movement in the Fifa rankings, which would ultimately affect those who need work permits. It shows too, that teams like Honduras cannot field a second string team against T&T and expect to come out with a good result.”

Shabazz, who with Hutson Charles, guided T&T to its first Gold Cup final since 2007 after reaching the final of the CFU Caribbean Cup believes the results were expected given the resources made available to the technical staff.

“I expected the team to reach that phase. Anything further than that would have been great. But, where our programme is at, I think reaching the quarterfinal would have been a reasonable target.”

In that regard, Shabazz said there are between 10-15 coaches in the country who are capable of leading the national team, but it is a matter of resources being provided for them.

“The local staff works with no resources and then they bring in a foreigner and give him resources, and they call him a magician. Its not just resources and technical know-how. Nobody could tell me we don’t have at least 10-15 coaches home and abroad with the technical competence,” said Shabazz.

“Throughout my 15 years, I think local coaches, only on a few occasions got the resources to do the job. And every time they got the resources, they made an impact,” said Shabazz, citing former head coaches Bertille St Clair and Everald Cummings. “I can tell you of situations where local coaches did not get resources or support.”

Shabazz said coaching at the national level is no longer part of his plans.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:00:33 AM by Flex »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shabazz says Beenhakker no magician
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
I rather a blonde magician than a filthy traitor  :cursing:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
If he ain't ah magician, he damn close. The only man to take TnT to the big dance when all others failed.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
10-15 coaches he say... While that is not true, I'm sure he would not have made the 15. Local my ass!! It only have two local coaches in T&T who I rate, and they are not even locally born. Fenwick, and Charles are the two best right now locally. This man hating on SH bad and I am willing to bet, deep down he was hoping for us to get knocked out in the group phase of the competition. SourGrapes!!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
If he ain't ah magician, he damn close. The only man to take TnT to the big dance when all others failed.
it sure wasn't a local... Beenie earned our respect..He demanded what he needed to help the team succeed, unlike all those wannabes who was swinging on Jack nuts!

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
First off, Beenhaker is not the coach, secondly, last time I checked Stephen Hart is a trini.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
Be it true that Beenhaker is a 'Blond Magician' or not (BTW, why does it always have to get diverted to ah race issue  :frustrated: :banginghead: ) the fact is he is not stupid, he most likely insisted on a certain level of support before he would take the role.

If Shabazz knew he would'nt get the support cause he wasnt' 'Blond', and knew he was doomed if he did or didn't; then why persist with the job. And don't say for love of country, is football we talking about, not something truely requiring selfless sacrifice like the survival of T&T as a nation.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:23:09 AM »

Thank you !!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:29 AM »
Shabazz Tabanca

“I think where we go as a nation depends a lot on what the Federation provides to the various technical staff and coaches. I am not taking away from his input, but the team should have qualified for the quarterfinal regardless of Beenhakker’s appointment,because that is where our programme is at.”

comment - I'm glad he turn de asst job down.Should have never been offered   

“The days of a blonde magician coming to our shores and making magic is an illusion. Football needs resources to back up technical know-how if it to achieve anything, whether it is Anton Corneal or Leo Beenhakker at the helm.”

comment - how dotish can one be.Does he think we are back in de '50's.probably he learn dat from Jack

“I expected the team to reach that phase. Anything further than that would have been great. But, where our programme is at, I think reaching the quarterfinal would have been a reasonable target.”

comment - I guess losing to Estonia made him feel this way

“The local staff works with no resources and then they bring in a foreigner and give him resources, and they call him a magician. Its not just resources and technical know-how. Nobody could tell me we don’t have at least 10-15 coaches home and abroad with the technical competence,” said Shabazz.

comment - what does he mean by abroad? does that include Hart?

comment - stick to your word Shabazz
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:39:40 AM by royal »

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »

please God, please God, please God...let this be true!!!!
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »
dis guy only care bout himself not trinidad football plzz stick to the pro league plz  :praying:
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:29 AM »
Stop hating others because of your limitations and lack of foresight Shabazz
Hind sight will not change the out come
Learn HUMILITY first and all good things will be added
You were offered an opportunity to be part the solution,your recent ramblings indicate you are part of the problems which plagued our beautiful game
Jah Bless

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:07 AM »

Whilst I personally doh like Shabazz as national coach in front of men like Gally and Bertille, he could have a point.

A coach now needs resources to execute. He cannot just have some balls and a ground with road markers to train footballers professionally .

Maybe because of Beenie's and Hart's stature TTFA is willing to give them the resources.

But I will not knock Shabazz for his observation.

I am sure Latapy would have the same sentiments it just he is too much of  a quiet personality to make public statements like that
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
Sour grapes.  Though he made a couple of good points, Shabazz just comes across as a truly bitter person.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
Despite Shabazz's short comings ..i.e his adoption of European tactics which I don't like to see coming from local coaches, he makes a valid point. A coach has to be afforded the tools of the trade. On the other hand I am hoping that Mr Shabazz did request the apparatus needed because from what I saw from de lil clips and dem he had de fellas runnin around cones and road markers right thru. A lot a dese trainin tools don't really cost dat much..I eh know what other resources he didn't get.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »

Whilst I personally doh like Shabazz as national coach in front of men like Gally and Bertille, he could have a point.

A coach now needs resources to execute. He cannot just have some balls and a ground with road markers to train footballers professionally .

Maybe because of Beenie's and Hart's stature TTFA is willing to give them the resources.

I am sure Latapy would have the same sentiments it just he is too much of  a quiet personality to make public statements like that

While local coaches often get the short end of the stick resources wise, could it be that they are judged on their footballing intelligence as well as personality wise, I tink psychologically Shabazz and many of the local coaches don't really have the respect of the players particular the foreign based ones who are introduced to a professional environment and modern training techniques and then have to come and take crap "sometimes" along with mediocre and or outdated training regimen and nutrition. also these 15-20 coaches from where d slow sub-par proleague.

I pity the fool....

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
This mindset is quite popular and holds us back in every facet of life, Shabbaz not unique.  Just hope the powers that be keep doing the right thing, a start has been made....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
A disorganized group playing like 11 enthusiastic individuals with no sense of team shape and group tactics is not a sign of lack of resources afforded to the coach.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »

Fishs correct. They could never find resources for the local coaches. But they always get the money for the foreign coach. I am not anti-foreign, and I am not a big Shabazz fan. But he has a point about the resources issue. Of all the local coaches, Hudson, Ross Russel, Fenwick, Fevrier and others in the pro-leaugue, Shabazz has been most successful for the past 2 to 2 1/2 years. His team playing Concacaf football. Plus his Guyanese team beat us in WC. So I think he should have a chance coach TT. He did get his chance with limited resources and the results were poor. My thought is, the TTFA had Beenie man in mind for a long. Beenie just want to be a consultant. He will give Hart advice and all the things technical directors/consultants do. And of course he has a wealth of experience and contacts that Shabazz can only dream about.
Beenie is no magician, but  he , Hart, the local coaches and the TTFF have to come up a a plan for TT football. It has to be long term. No more vay-kee-vay process.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
A disorganized group playing like 11 enthusiastic individuals with no sense of team shape and group tactics is not a sign of lack of resources afforded to the coach.
that's just it, mention tactics and planning to any trini that fancies himself a coach and they does watch yuh wit a blank or even dismissive expression on dey face........even coache right here at times appears to dismiss the importance of planning and tactics in our football to deal with opponents, we no longer have d luxury of just putting 11 skills men on d field and expect dem to know what to do..... coaching now is like chest...is ah thinkin man game.....................it would be interesting to know if Shabazz and Charles did watch and analyse footage for Estonia and Romania
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
No more vay-kee-vay process.

but dat is d meat and potatoes of most tings trini.....and we football was different hoping dat change
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »

please God, please God, please God...let this be true!!!!

COSIGNNNNNNNNNNNNN and GOOD RIDDANCE
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »
how incredible !! Questions  for mr jamal shabazz ?  weren't you mr shabazz not offerred an assistant role to stephen hart , so too was hutson charles,  however it is you mr jamal shabazz who refused to be part of the present setup ... why did you not for love of country accept the offer?  was it  because you think  you were or are too big a man to accept such a position as an  assistant to stephen hart, hutson charles along with leo beenhakker??  what is your real beef ??   as it stands you clearly come across as quite selfish and not  wanting to look beyond your nostrils ....... just a reminder you refused to accept a role in the present coaching set up ....

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
I remember when I said that some of the reason why people didn't like Beenhakker because he was white, people on this board denied it.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »
The audacity of this man, just go quietly into the damn good night nah!!

Anyway I like how he include Glenn in the local pro league men who help we get to quarter-final, man Cornell doh count man h
Stop hating others because of your limitations and lack of foresight Shabazz
Hind sight will not change the out come
Learn HUMILITY first and all good things will be added
You were offered an opportunity to be part the solution,your recent ramblings indicate you are part of the problems which plagued our beautiful game
Jah Bless
Yuh preach bredda, this shoulda be the last word on this topic :(
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
Shabazz team was HORRIBLE last time in Concacaf Champions League: There was nothing for me to be proud about
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
 Yeah I eh see magician in the man's credentials but if I compare his coaching success and his coaching experiences to Mr.Sh. then I think I would have to question Shab... ability as a coach. Then I wonder if all this setta ah talk is  to mask something else.

How might one deflect from not being able to acquire a visa to travel to the USA?
1. I dont want to be part of no coaching team if I eh the head honcho
2. Woe is me and every local coach
3. See the team would have qualified for quater finals anyway
4. Overstate the illusion that the team was playing good football

Look I am for the advancement and the opportunities for local coaches and players but I am also aware that to compete and to coach at a level required for us to be successful requires additional knowledge and expertise beyond what we may be use to locally.
 Look how many opportunities Mr. Anton Corneal has had to work with foreign  coaches and to be exposed to competition beyond our shores , yet for all his credentials and opportunities he has not been able to parlay or demonstrate  consistent success with a local or national team.

I trust that for all the efforts that Mr.Sh gave that he continues to develop success locally with  proleague teams and show in the CONCACAF  champion club that he is able to be the coach of his dreams.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:32:42 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »
Nah Lefty I am not dismissive of tactics and organization. Those elements are means to a specific end . In many instances I may not be in agreement because I don't feel that the end might be beneficial to us as a people .

1]; } ?>