April 25, 2024, 06:04:24 AM

Author Topic: Standing with the Bascome brothers  (Read 1595 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline asylumseeker

  • Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 18076
    • View Profile
Standing with the Bascome brothers
« on: December 14, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »


Standing with the Bascome brothers
By Jonathan Bell, Royal Gazette.


Support has poured in for football coaches Andrew and David Bascome after their revelation of suffering sexual abuse as young players.

Numerous community members yesterday rallied around the brothers by backing a Facebook campaign urging them to post: “I stand with the Bascome brothers”.

Activist Dwayne Caines, who launched the social media drive, praised the Bascomes for breaking a local culture of secrecy, and expressed hope we could now hear more voices against sexual abuse and finally move toward a healing process.

On Monday, Andrew Bascome’s disclosure about being molested for several years in his younger days came with a call for tighter security around sports clubs and those working with young people, to curtail sexual predators.

Reacting yesterday, shadow sports minister Michael Weeks, a well-known figure in the local sporting scene, said the issue had been “concealed beneath the surface for generations”.

Also yesterday, police asked for other victims to make their story known to authorities, thus enabling investigations to proceed.

Mr Caines told The Royal Gazette that in recent times social media and online connectivity had made it easier to stop “sweeping things under the rug”.

“The local culture kept silent simply because we are afraid that exposing our secrets will bring shame and guilt on our family and community,” he said.

“We are now seeing a united voice in the world against abuses of children, men and women.”

Among those to “stand with the Bascome brothers” was Guilden Gilbert, who posted: “Men of great courage and character.”

Richard Scott wrote: “I believe we’ll begin to see more men come forward with their experiences. The healing process has begun! This story has the potential to break the back of the enemy’s scourge over the island.”

Kim Minors stated: “May God bless them for their bravery. Because of their openness, the healing can begin for them and many others who also were afraid to tell.”

Andrew Bascome could not be reached for comment yesterday, but he posted on Facebook: “Thank you Dwayne Caines. #endthesilence #footballmatters.”

Mr Bascome had earlier posted: “I had to speak my truth. Thank you for your support. “Grateful for the support from the BFA. All I want to do is just teach football and just try to help that one kid that might not have any hope.”

The local revelations have mirrored confessions in the UK during recent weeks by numerous former players who said they had been abused by persons in authority. British media reported yesterday that 30 clubs in London alone were now under investigation, including four in the Premier League.

Last week, local coach Maceo Dill drew a comparison to Bermuda, saying that sexual abuse was “rampant” on the island.

Emphasising that his call online included female victims, Mr Caines said too many adults were “broken, trying to put together the fractured pieces just to cope”.

“Over my lifetime I have admired the Bascome brothers, who have represented their community and country with the highest of standards. They have showed men in this country what happens when you work hard, stay focused and remain dedicated. When I heard what happened to them, immediately I felt that it was my responsibility as a Bermudian male to stand in solidarity and communicate to them and other victims of abuse that we stand with you and support you. This is the first of many steps in breaking the culture of silence that has been the gasoline that fuels the secrets and the lies.”

Mr Caines, who is at present the acting assistant Registrar General during a six-month leave of absence from police, said he was speaking to “all organisations that cater to children, to create safe spaces for our young, ensure they are supervised and educate our community on how to keep our children safe”.

The statements by the Bascome brothers were commended by the charity Scars, which offers training on child sex abuse awareness, and calls for “drastic” legislative change. Mr Caines said that the island’s culture was “changing slowly — it happens one person at a time, one conversation at a time”.

“We must create a culture of accountability at every level, and have tough conversations in our own personal spaces.”

In a society that “judges every move”, Mr Caines said it was imperative to give “members of our community, who have been taken advantage of, the chance to become whole”.

Coach Bascome: ‘I’ve been molested’
By Raymond Hainey, Royal Gazette.


Brothers Andrew and David Bascome yesterday told a press conference they had been sexually abused in their early football careers.

Andrew Bascome, the Bermuda coach, broke down in tears as he told the media “I’ve been molested”, later explaining to The Royal Gazette that it took place when he was a schoolboy player.

“It was happening when I was a player at North Village by one of the players and it went on for years,” Mr Bascome said.

He said he had been targeted by an older player, adding: “He got the trust. It was just shameful.”
His brother, David, a former professional in the United States, also spoke at the press conference, saying that he had been “in that same position of being molested”.

The pair — two of the island’s best-known players and coaches — were speaking in the wake of claims from Maceo Dill, a coach and colleague at ABC Football Foundation, that the local game has been widely affected by sexual abuse.

After their remarks, Mr Dill called for a criminal investigation to determine “how many more” had been targeted.

The Bascome brothers were at a press conference to announce ABC Football Foundation’s new drive to raise $250,000 next year for community work.

Andrew Bascome told the gathered media: “I’ve been molested and it was just football for me.

“All I want to do is just teach football and give back to football, and try to just help that one kid that might not have no hope and feel worthless and useless.”

Speaking to this newspaper after the press conference, Mr Bascome said the experiences he had suffered “made it hard to trust — it’s hard to get attached”.

He called for tougher security and vetting for those linked to youth sports to help to minimise the risk of sexual abuse.

Mr Bascome said his work as a coach helped to protect him from the memories of years of torment.

“It’s nights — it’s when I’m alone. As long as I’m coaching, it doesn’t come into my mind,” he said. “I just feel like I’m in a good space. It’s dealing with it after.”

He said the abuse had not affected his commitment and love of the game, adding: “I’m a good person — it’s difficult to talk about.”

He said the abuse started in the early 1980s and continued for several years, adding that he was too ashamed to report the catalogue of sex abuse to police or responsible adults.

“I just felt so ashamed,” he said. “I didn’t know. I ask myself that, too.”

He added he still sees the predator who targeted him around the island, but tries to avoid contact with him.

“I try not to see him — I try my best not to see him,” he said.

David Bascome told the press conference: “You all may know me for doing everything I can for young people.

“What we are witnessing now is what this game means to us, what this game means to other young people and also what this game just means for Bermuda.

“This was our way out and we found our safe place and, as my brother speaks, I will let you know I was also in the same position as him, being in that same position of being molested. I’ve been there.”

Last week, Mr Dill, said he was aware that several former players had suffered sexual abuse by people linked to the island’s clubs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:03:26 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ON DE BLOCK

  • Sr. Warrior
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
    • View Profile
Re: Standing with the Bascome brothers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:33:48 PM »
God rained down fire & brimstone on Sodom and Gomorra so we know a baptism of fire for this "pizzagate" generation is sure...

Offline Deeks

  • Hero Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
    • View Profile
Re: Standing with the Bascome brothers
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »
You know pizzagate was a hoax. But all things aside, this is tragic. Very tragic.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

  • Sr. Warrior
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
    • View Profile
Re: Standing with the Bascome brothers
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »

You know pizzagate was a hoax. But all things aside, this is tragic. Very tragic.
CNN and main stream mafia is calling it a hoax, no one can say for sure, what we do know is a hoax is who de local presstitute call coach/assistant/quack doctor/an manager..

Offline Mose

  • Hero Warrior
  • *****
  • Posts: 2231
    • View Profile
Re: Standing with the Bascome brothers
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

You know pizzagate was a hoax. But all things aside, this is tragic. Very tragic.
CNN and main stream mafia is calling it a hoax, no one can say for sure, what we do know is a hoax is who de local presstitute call coach/assistant/quack doctor/an manager..


If there is no credible evidence to support it, it is a hoax until otherwise proven!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

 

1]; } ?>