April 25, 2024, 04:28:34 AM

Author Topic: Finally a meaningful story that TICKS!  (Read 838 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a meaningful story that TICKS!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
Great article. But I am disappointed to learn that an old-boy "fix" the St Mary's clock.
One of the privileges of being in form 6 science, was going into the clock tower to wind the clock. We would wind the two weights once a week, one for the clock and one for the chimes, and make sure that the time was correct. Naturally, this 15 minute job would take over an hour and we would and look down upon and heckle passers-by on Frederick Street. I always found the workings of that old clock fascinating.

Knowing that there won't be a next generation of saints men who have clock tower stories is kind of sad.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:58:05 AM »

When they did the restoration of the Clock Tower in QRC they plaster over the walls leading up to the clock and a lot of history was covered up.

From the second landing old boys signatures, I remember putting my own next to Deryck Murray  ;D

Pity they only fix de clock in that Gyul school on Frederick St
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
Nice Article

Ah hope Dah williams fellah make some good money restoring them old timepieces
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Great article...loved the bits of historical narrative provided for some context.  Of note though, it's awesome that they repaired the 'Cube shaped' clock in San Fernando (great job on that)...but I can't understand why the city of San Fernando didn't also send someone to also paint the white pillar-foundation the clock is sitting on.   

Sando...yuh lapsing! ;D
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

1]; } ?>