April 19, 2024, 06:58:25 AM

Author Topic: Cost to launch a new PFL club in T&T?  (Read 2439 times)

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Cost to launch a new PFL club in T&T?
« on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
Not sure if this topic has already been discussed (and if it has, please don't bite my head off just because it was probably already discussed in some vague thread from 8 years ago or something):   :)

What is the cost to create and launch a new PFL 'franchise' in T&T?  And also the average annual revenue, and more importantly, the annual expenses.

'Application' fee...Annual fees...player salaries (minimum/maximum)...personnel salaries and wages (coaching staff and others etc)...stadium fees...marketing (this would obviously be a variable cost depending on level and amount of marketing)...travel expenses.  I know there are probably a whole bunch of fees I haven't listed, but just trying to get an idea.

I will be checking with the PFL directly also, but just wanted to see if anyone on this forum can shed some light on that. 

Thanks, all!  :beermug:

The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Re: Cost to launch a new PFL club in T&T?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
Also, anyone know the current 'asking prices' on the existing PFL clubs if one were to make an offer? (I know the prices will vary depending on the clubs and their locations...and also some clubs may not be fielding buy-out offers). 
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
Cost to join the Pro League is around TT$200-$300k You also have to provide proof of one years salaries (bank statement) Plus yearly membership of around TT$100,000

I would estimate monthly wage bill including staff is between TT$80,000 - TT$ 200,000 (depending if you have marquee players, full time staff etc)

Total budget per year would be between TT$1.5 million - TT$3 million

Average income would be around TT$20,000 (not including govt subvention, sponsors or prize money)

Govt subvention (if you can get it) is between TT$50 -TT$80,000 p.m.

Sponsors prefer to give product than cash, though you can get a directv who really support their club.

Basically, don't do it for the money! You cannot pay yourself a decent wage, you work 16 hours per day and you need a very understanding wife!!

However.....if you can stick it out for the long term, support your sponsors and maybe develop a few youngsters, you could start to see a profit. Again, if you want to make money, open a doubles stand!

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Cost to join the Pro League is around TT$200-$300k You also have to provide proof of one years salaries (bank statement) Plus yearly membership of around TT$100,000

I would estimate monthly wage bill including staff is between TT$80,000 - TT$ 200,000 (depending if you have marquee players, full time staff etc)

Average income would be around TT$20,000 (not including govt subvention, sponsors or prize money)

Sponsors prefer to give product than cash, though you can get a directv who really support their club.

Basically, don't do it for the money! You cannot pay yourself a decent wage, you work 16 hours per day and you need a very understanding wife!!

However.....if you can stick it out for the long term, support your sponsors and maybe develop a few youngsters, you could start to see a profit. Again, if you want to make money, open a doubles stand!

Football supporter --- Thanks for the response.

That average income of TT$20,000 you mentioned...is that a monthly figure?  A per match figure?

Also, with the proper marketing (something which clearly is not done at all today) one can realize profits, and see some financial successes in that business.  Anyway breda...thanks for the feedback!  :beermug:   

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »

That average income of TT$20,000 you mentioned...is that a monthly figure?  A per match figure?

Also, with the proper marketing (something which clearly is not done at all today) one can realize profits, and see some financial successes in that business.  Anyway breda...thanks for the feedback!  :beermug:   

Another thing I meant to add is that as an owner, one would set the overall agenda and goals of the club...but not the day-to-day operations. 

The owner isn't necessarily the one working 16 hours a day, since in all likelihood they're hiring a general manager/president to do that job, and engage in the daily day-to-day operations and activities of the club. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »

Per year! Average crowd say 300 (divided by two home clubs) Say 200 of those are paying adults at $30 = $6,000 ($3,000) per club, less match officials fees, ambulance fee, snacks and water for ball boys, post match food for players, wages for gateman, cost of sound system/DJ/match announcer.

You can make some money from concessions, but it's quite difficult as you need to keep stock of unsold items and your 7 home games may run from August to May. The investment in setting up concessions relative to potential income makes it unworthy. The key is to obtain crowds of 500 plus to begin to see the worth in investing in concessions.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »

Another thing I meant to add is that as an owner, one would set the overall agenda and goals of the club...but not the day-to-day operations. 

The owner isn't necessarily the one working 16 hours a day, since in all likelihood they're hiring a general manager/president to do that job, and engage in the daily day-to-day operations and activities of the club. 

That is the current format used mostly in the Pro League (as was the case in the UK until the 80's) Problem is, a decent General Manager will cost more than you want to pay. You have to look at it as starting your own business. Why pay someone when you can do the job yourself for less money? Pay peanuts, you get monkeys, so a decent CEO will cost at least $20k per month. That would pay for 3 national team players and a decent U20 player. And you would be working for free!
I can tell you that Brent Sancho is usually in the office by 9 am (and he's making calls during the hour journey to work). He will often leave the office after 6pm. On matchdays (usually Friday or Saturday) he may reach home by 11 pm. He will also attend other games during the season including intercol. We often have evening meetings and without fail have at least one 20-30 minute phone conversation in the evening. Then on Sunday there may be community events, coaching schools, youth trials and, of course, U18, U16, U14 games and the Ladies team and on Monday nights there is the Reserve league.

By running the club yourself, you free up money for someone like me to take care of community events, obtaining sponsorship, press releases, marketing videos, general administration and disciplinary functions and liaising with overseas clubs. Which is why Central F.C.'s brand is as well known after one year as other clubs who have been in existence far longer.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

Per year! Average crowd say 300 (divided by two home clubs) Say 200 of those are paying adults at $30 = $6,000 ($3,000) per club, less match officials fees, ambulance fee, snacks and water for ball boys, post match food for players, wages for gateman, cost of sound system/DJ/match announcer.

You can make some money from concessions, but it's quite difficult as you need to keep stock of unsold items and your 7 home games may run from August to May. The investment in setting up concessions relative to potential income makes it unworthy. The key is to obtain crowds of 500 plus to begin to see the worth in investing in concessions.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, regarding the extremely low crowd-attendance.  There is clearly something being done wrong in terms of marketing which accounts for the dismally low spectator attendance.

There is a reason why there seems to be much more support and attendance for secondary school games vs PFL teams.  It's all in clever 'thinking-out-the-box' marketing --- something that is not employed at all by the PFL.  If a club can accomplish this, then that club could at least benefit from higher revenues at the gate and possibly also from some sales of team merchandise (caps, jerseys etc).   

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »

That is the current format used mostly in the Pro League (as was the case in the UK until the 80's) Problem is, a decent General Manager will cost more than you want to pay. You have to look at it as starting your own business. Why pay someone when you can do the job yourself for less money? Pay peanuts, you get monkeys, so a decent CEO will cost at least $20k per month. That would pay for 3 national team players and a decent U20 player. And you would be working for free!
I can tell you that Brent Sancho is usually in the office by 9 am (and he's making calls during the hour journey to work). He will often leave the office after 6pm. On matchdays (usually Friday or Saturday) he may reach home by 11 pm. He will also attend other games during the season including intercol. We often have evening meetings and without fail have at least one 20-30 minute phone conversation in the evening. Then on Sunday there may be community events, coaching schools, youth trials and, of course, U18, U16, U14 games and the Ladies team and on Monday nights there is the Reserve league.

By running the club yourself, you free up money for someone like me to take care of community events, obtaining sponsorship, press releases, marketing videos, general administration and disciplinary functions and liaising with overseas clubs. Which is why Central F.C.'s brand is as well known after one year as other clubs who have been in existence far longer.

This is true up to a certain point.  However if one makes much more money from their core business (whatever business it may be), and the PFL venture is merely one of many in that owner's portfolio of businesses, then it will not be economically feasible for that owner to dedicate all of their time to a non-core business and ignore their core business.  If they were to do so, then they are not hiring themselves for free, as they are losing money on their core-business (aka 'opportunity costs'). 

There are ways around that, and it may indeed make sense to hire a general manager to do the job.  If I purchase a PFL franchise, I will set the overall mandate...but I will have to hire a general manager to handle the day-to-day operations, since I have a number of other business entities I'm currently involved in and director of. 

Anyway, there's always time to properly time, budget, and hopefully execute to get the right mix and balance. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, regarding the extremely low crowd-attendance.  There is clearly something being done wrong in terms of marketing which accounts for the dismally low spectator attendance.

There is a reason why there seems to be much more support and attendance for secondary school games vs PFL teams.  It's all in clever 'thinking-out-the-box' marketing --- something that is not employed at all by the PFL.  If a club can accomplish this, then that club could at least benefit from higher revenues at the gate and possibly also from some sales of team merchandise (caps, jerseys etc).   

Well, in that case, why don't you offer a club some "outside the box" thinking? But as I see it, clubs suffer because of major shortfalls in local and national govertment thinking.

Why, in such an affluent country, is there no organised local bus service? If you leave Ato Boldon after a game, there is no way of getting back to Couva. It's not safe for youngsters. There should be a regular bus service that caters for match days.

Next: until the press and media start to support the Pro League, it will always struggle

With the abundance of empty bush all over T&T, why can't local corporations invest in their clubs as they do elsewhere? Northampton Town, for example, built a new stadium on land leased from the council. Why can't the corporations lease some land to a club for a peppercorn rent and help to build a small stadium (maybe 4,000 seats?)

School games are usually right in the heart of the community, so its easy to get to them. If North East are lucky, they get to play in Larry Gomes, which is miles from Sangre Grande. It's not even convenient from Arima!

The stadiums should be for big games, with PTSC laying on buses from hub towns. Corporations need to "think out of the box" to bring football into the heart of the community. Then you will see good attendance.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

This is true up to a certain point.  However if one makes much more money from their core business (whatever business it may be), and the PFL venture is merely one of many in that owner's portfolio of businesses, then it will not be economically feasible for that owner to dedicate all of their time to a non-core business and ignore their core business.  If they were to do so, then they are not hiring themselves for free, as they are losing money on their core-business (aka 'opportunity costs'). 

There are ways around that, and it may indeed make sense to hire a general manager to do the job.  If I purchase a PFL franchise, I will set the overall mandate...but I will have to hire a general manager to handle the day-to-day operations, since I have a number of other business entities I'm currently involved in and director of. 

Anyway, there's always time to properly time, budget, and hopefully execute to get the right mix and balance. 

"By running the club yourself, you free up money for someone like me to take care of community events, obtaining sponsorship, press releases, marketing videos, general administration and disciplinary functions and liaising with overseas clubs."

This is basically the part and parcel of the duties engaged by the general manager (or at least a hybrid of a marketing manager and general manager)...therefore the owner's presence shouldn't be required on a daily basis if a capable person is hired to do the above.   :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »
These replies are getting too long!! If you can afford the General Manager, that's fine. Especially if it allows you to earn more yourself (you will need that to subsidise the club).

But be careful, because I can tell you that a football club doesn't run to an agenda. You can plan your day, week, or month and then there is a crisis that distracts you from your core business.

Also, you have to decide if your President will be his own man and driven by passion or an eat ah food guy who will only do what you say. If he's his own man, you will have disagreements!

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »

Well, in that case, why don't you offer a club some "outside the box" thinking? But as I see it, clubs suffer because of major shortfalls in local and national govertment thinking.

Why, in such an affluent country, is there no organised local bus service? If you leave Ato Boldon after a game, there is no way of getting back to Couva. It's not safe for youngsters. There should be a regular bus service that caters for match days.

Next: until the press and media start to support the Pro League, it will always struggle

With the abundance of empty bush all over T&T, why can't local corporations invest in their clubs as they do elsewhere? Northampton Town, for example, built a new stadium on land leased from the council. Why can't the corporations lease some land to a club for a peppercorn rent and help to build a small stadium (maybe 4,000 seats?)

School games are usually right in the heart of the community, so its easy to get to them. If North East are lucky, they get to play in Larry Gomes, which is miles from Sangre Grande. It's not even convenient from Arima!

The stadiums should be for big games, with PTSC laying on buses from hub towns. Corporations need to "think out of the box" to bring football into the heart of the community. Then you will see good attendance.

What you mention there is quite true, however it all boils down to each individual club.  It is really the club's duty to engage the public and garner fan support locally and elsewhere.  Although it would be great, no one should expect an outside entity to just walk-in and offer 'freebies' such as marketing or media coverage.  A club has to build it's own hype, and make it's own case. 

There is an old cliched saying rom the movie 'Field of Dreams':  "If you build it, they will come".  A very powerful saying that has a lot of practical implications.  The club has to make people interested, and keep finding new and unique ways of maintaing and increasing that interest.  Also, you're quite right about the transportation service out of Ato Boldon stadium.  A smartly run club will find a way to satisfy customers by engaging in local transportation services to 'ferry' customers after games etc.  There are of course many other areas to look at and improve. 

A great customer experience in one's product can predict success or failure in a customer based business like that. 

These are all things that should be explored, taken seriously, and engaged. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »
This is basically the part and parcel of the duties engaged by the general manager (or at least a hybrid of a marketing manager and general manager)...therefore the owner's presence shouldn't be required on a daily basis if a capable person is hired to do the above.

Trust me, O.M., I don't have time to run the club! I'll tell you what you do need to find (and I've not found this in over 3 years of looking) someone like Julia Baptiste at the Pro League. She works incredible hours and knows football admin inside out. And she's tough too! If I had a Julia at Central, Brent and I could lime every afternoon!!

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
These replies are getting too long!! If you can afford the General Manager, that's fine. Especially if it allows you to earn more yourself (you will need that to subsidise the club).

But be careful, because I can tell you that a football club doesn't run to an agenda. You can plan your day, week, or month and then there is a crisis that distracts you from your core business.

Also, you have to decide if your President will be his own man and driven by passion or an eat ah food guy who will only do what you say. If he's his own man, you will have disagreements!

True talk..the responses are getting long.  :rotfl:

But yes indeed...some people have their own mind, and that's fine as long as they stick to the agenda that is set by the owner.  Remember, the owner will be evaluating the performance of the GM, making sure that certain goals are met within a certain period of time...and if those goals have fallen short, a new GM may have to be hired.  This is how good businesses are run.   :beermug: 

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
This is basically the part and parcel of the duties engaged by the general manager (or at least a hybrid of a marketing manager and general manager)...therefore the owner's presence shouldn't be required on a daily basis if a capable person is hired to do the above.

Trust me, O.M., I don't have time to run the club! I'll tell you what you do need to find (and I've not found this in over 3 years of looking) someone like Julia Baptiste at the Pro League. She works incredible hours and knows football admin inside out. And she's tough too! If I had a Julia at Central, Brent and I could lime every afternoon!!

Nice!   ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »

Big up 2 my girl Julia.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
Something definitely to keep in mind. 

1]; } ?>