April 29, 2024, 10:14:48 AM

Author Topic: Football Development in T&T  (Read 3394 times)

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
Football Development in T&T
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
I know there are alot of folks out there that struggle with the notion of foreign vs local coaches running our football, even myself, but I experienced something this weekend that I think has answered this question for me.

The youth club I coach at has a partnership with Chelsea and the club put on a weekend long clinic and brought in 2 senior members of the Chelsea setup, Andy Ottley (International Technical Support Officer) and Ian Woodroffe (International Development Manager). These gentlemen are a big part of not only Chelsea's global branding but also their youth development. They went into great detail about the history and philosophy of the club, its state of the art facilities, its culture and its drive to develop WORLD CLASS players. Of course because of confidentiality reasons I can't go into too much detail about all that was discussed but it truly opened up my eyes to see how much goes into nurturing young talent and the process of how that talent goes from the grassroots level to a world class level.

Needless to say, because of my passion to the T&T setup, I started to look at how we are setup up locally and to be honest, we are so far away from the global "norm" of development that I strongly believe that anyone local who has to be charged to retool or create our youth development will not have the know-how to get this accomplished. We just don't have the historical database to fall back on. It made me even more pleased that Tim-Kee and they made the choice to hire Beenie man to be our TD because of his experience with Ajax, arguably one of the best youth academies in the world, he would have the knowledge and experience to help create a similar environment for T&T.

The presentation was mind blowing and a real eye opener for me personally. One main thing they spoke about within their facilities was a mental help office as part of their development. These mental help professionals work with youths, new signings and first team players alike. The youths go through classes to help them understand the club philosophy and how it is to shape not only their personal but also their professional life, for new signings its there to ensure they are mentally capable to handle a new environment and new lifestyle (they even assign a personal "help" assigned to that player for the first 6 months) and for first team players to overcome any struggles they may have within their game. For example, they talked about Cech having serious issues with saving PK's. He ended up spending much time working on strengthening his mental aptitude and as a result, he has become one of the premier PK savers in the world.

These are the types of facilities that T&T needs to be able to fully compete on the world stage. I know the team has psychologists traveling with them, but these clubs have special labs and areas to conduct testing and recording of everyone's progress. Again, very eye opening. Even a simple thing as Jose, during his first spell as Manager, changed the U21's dressing room to look exactly like the first team dressing room. His reasoning for this was that he did't want the youth players being in shock and awe when they do get called up to the first team, it should seem as if the environment hasn't changed, from the training ground, training sessions to the locker rooms, all in sync to accomodate the athlete psyche.

Anyhow just wanted to share with you guys. I left the clinic thinking that hopefully beenie has the chance and the time to really put something in place that can truly grow the game for our youths and begin to foster true talent to feed into our senior national team. From what I saw and learned this weekend, the structure from top to bottom is no where in place in T&T and to get there, its going to take some time and resources but with beenie I'm hopeful things can get there!! With our natural talent pairing up with a true global development structure in place, T&T football can surpass the levels we achieved in 2006.  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football Development in T&T
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
These are the kind of things we learned from Graham Rix, who was the Chelsea youth coach for some years.

But we have to be realistic. Chelsea's budget is well in advance of our national association!

I began speaking of the business of football 6 years ago, but in T&T it's still a sport, and as such, not taken seriously outside of the game.

One of the things I wanted to bring on board with FPATT was a club chaplain. Their role wasn't to preach, but to offer an outlet for players who didn't want to speak to club personnel. They could unload personal worries, problems affecting their game etc. Weary actually located several interested chaplains, but with the lack of support for FPATT, it died a death.

I believe that TTFA will make changes to the behind-the scenes side of the game, but like everyone who runs a football team, they also have to focus resources on winning. Until the country recognises the many benefits of a successful holistic football programme, we will struggle to keep up with many overseas clubs, forget about national teams!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
These are the kind of things we learned from Graham Rix, who was the Chelsea youth coach for some years.

But we have to be realistic. Chelsea's budget is well in advance of our national association!

I began speaking of the business of football 6 years ago, but in T&T it's still a sport, and as such, not taken seriously outside of the game.

One of the things I wanted to bring on board with FPATT was a club chaplain. Their role wasn't to preach, but to offer an outlet for players who didn't want to speak to club personnel. They could unload personal worries, problems affecting their game etc. Weary actually located several interested chaplains, but with the lack of support for FPATT, it died a death.

I believe that TTFA will make changes to the behind-the scenes side of the game, but like everyone who runs a football team, they also have to focus resources on winning. Until the country recognises the many benefits of a successful holistic football programme, we will struggle to keep up with many overseas clubs, forget about national teams!

Definitely agree. The Chaplain was a good idea at least.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
Lots of things need to change in our local set up, one of the bigger ones is the mindset about sport. Players, coaches, administrators, businesses and fans alike need to recognise the financial potential of sport. That doesn't mean we need to run down sport for the potential money to be earned. It means, among other things, recognising that time has value. Another big thing is the SSFL and the role of principals and coaches in the development of impressionable athletes. If a player is good enough he should be encouraged (if the offer is available) to go to an academy by the time he is 14 if not sooner. Any older and academies not taking them on. 18-years old is already late to now worry about developing a professional athlete. Lastly, we need to change our idea about "talented" players. We hold neither a monopoly or even a majority on talented athletes so that will not get us by. Also, talent and $2 can by a Guardian or maybe 6 Power Mints... if we want our athletes to really be good then we need to encourage them to work hard.

We are still a long way from culturally setting up a system of development. Until attitudes and perceptions toward sport change, we'll continue to wait for another "benefactor" to fund programmes that generate wealth for a few, leaving our football as bereft of structure as it has been.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »
Lots of things need to change in our local set up, one of the bigger ones is the mindset about sport. Players, coaches, administrators, businesses and fans alike need to recognise the financial potential of sport. That doesn't mean we need to run down sport for the potential money to be earned. It means, among other things, recognising that time has value. Another big thing is the SSFL and the role of principals and coaches in the development of impressionable athletes. If a player is good enough he should be encouraged (if the offer is available) to go to an academy by the time he is 14 if not sooner. Any older and academies not taking them on. 18-years old is already late to now worry about developing a professional athlete. Lastly, we need to change our idea about "talented" players. We hold neither a monopoly or even a majority on talented athletes so that will not get us by. Also, talent and $2 can by a Guardian or maybe 6 Power Mints... if we want our athletes to really be good then we need to encourage them to work hard.

We are still a long way from culturally setting up a system of development. Until attitudes and perceptions toward sport change, we'll continue to wait for another "benefactor" to fund programmes that generate wealth for a few, leaving our football as bereft of structure as it has been.

I agree...but I would go further - I would stop school football in its current format. I know that's going to upset people, but when young kids think the best thing in football is winning intercol and being a starboy at school, he's not focusing on his potential career. It takes a lot of commitment, hard work and focus to become a true professional. Intercol is an easy option for a lazy, yet talented footballer. If there's no intercol, he will have to grow up and think professionally.

As I've said before, I've never come across kids who say no to professional football so they can play school football. It gives you an insight to the mentality of players, parents and principals/school coaches.

I am not against education, but if thats what the boy wants, get a U.S. scholarship or a place in a U.K. academy- at least until we have our own.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:37:57 AM »

I agree...but I would go further - I would stop school football in its current format. I know that's going to upset people, but when young kids think the best thing in football is winning intercol and being a starboy at school, he's not focusing on his potential career. It takes a lot of commitment, hard work and focus to become a true professional. Intercol is an easy option for a lazy, yet talented footballer. If there's no intercol, he will have to grow up and think professionally.

As I've said before, I've never come across kids who say no to professional football so they can play school football. It gives you an insight to the mentality of players, parents and principals/school coaches.

I am not against education, but if thats what the boy wants, get a U.S. scholarship or a place in a U.K. academy- at least until we have our own.

Maybe because you have not grown up here you don't understand how intercol evolved.

Not too long ago intercol was made up of only the prestigious schools in Trinidad and the players not only excelled in football but also cricket, hockey the arts and significantly academically. So they were far from " lazy".

Now with the many zones and multitude of schools involved it has become a competition that still has prestige but the players are no longer the "quality" of the type from the original product.

Intercol still has a place in our football landscape but not in it's present form.

Schools should be banned from "buying" players.
A certain level of academic or technical aptitude and maintainance of that level should be mandatory.
At the highest level it should be 1 league made of 8 teams max.

If the above is done, then you would find the talent and brains would filter through and lets face it , we have not been able to produce inteligent footballers in the numbers necessary for quite sometime.

The clubs don't have the resources to do that but the schools will assist this way.
Ah want de woman on de bass

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:44:50 AM »
When I say "lazy" I mean in general attitude. Training for the Pro League is usually 5 heavy sessions. Plus there are many rules to conform to: dress, timing, hydration, nutrition, curfews etc Then there's also community work, no fete match football etc.

It's often a lot easier to play school football. Also, schools will often not allow their boys to train with Pro League clubs during the school season.

I don't have a problem with school football, it has its role to play, but the top talent should be gravitating to the Pro League at an early age in order to develop.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »
When I say "lazy" I mean in general attitude. Training for the Pro League is usually 5 heavy sessions. Plus there are many rules to conform to: dress, timing, hydration, nutrition, curfews etc Then there's also community work, no fete match football etc.

It's often a lot easier to play school football. Also, schools will often not allow their boys to train with Pro League clubs during the school season.

I don't have a problem with school football, it has its role to play, but the top talent should be gravitating to the Pro League at an early age in order to develop.

Until men could make a decent living playing proleague football , the brighter boys will play intercol and then move on to UWI or a football scholarship, so it is a chicken and egg situation. The proleague not going to attract the talent until it becomes attractive and the proleague ent going to make the money without attracting the talent.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:13 AM »

Until men could make a decent living playing proleague football , the brighter boys will play intercol and then move on to UWI or a football scholarship, so it is a chicken and egg situation. The proleague not going to attract the talent until it becomes attractive and the proleague ent going to make the money without attracting the talent.

I understand that, and I strongly agree with players using their talents to gain better education. But can you give me a dozen examples of this from last season? Because I know boys who can hardly read and write and cannot have a conversation who stay in school football. They don't have to attend lessons, in fact, their only connection with school is football. That is clearly wrong.

As for salaries, I'd love it to be higher (just like I should be earning 60- 100k per month in my role). However, an average player will earn around 3,500 plus accommodation at 18 or 19 for 13 hours per week. That pro ratas to over 12k per month.  Where can an 18 year old without a degree earn that in T&T?

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 AM »

I guess I'm looking at it from a parents perspective.

The kids that you are talking about are the ones that I described that are a product of the "new" intercol leagues and I'm sure you're right that a lot of them cannot read and write (literacy is a massive problem in modern day TT).

But therein lies the problem, you take these 14 and 15 yr olds and put them in the proleague and they make a little more than what a qualified welder would make. The difference is the welder has a trade for life , he can go to the bank and get a mortgage etc.
But what happens to these illiterate kids after they hit say 35 best case?

And then why would the clubs accept illiterate young footballers? Doesn't that say something about their reasoning and how receptive they are to complex ideas?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

The kids that you are talking about are the ones that I described that are a product of the "new" intercol leagues and I'm sure you're right that a lot of them cannot read and write (literacy is a massive problem in modern day TT).

But therein lies the problem, you take these 14 and 15 yr olds and put them in the proleague and they make a little more than what a qualified welder would make. The difference is the welder has a trade for life , he can go to the bank and get a mortgage etc.

And then why would the clubs accept illiterate young footballers? Doesn't that say something about their reasoning and how receptive they are to complex ideas?

Which is why each club should have some kind of academy. The club has a duty to it's players and should offer some kind of development. But of course, that comes at a cost. This is where TTFA also need to assist.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »

Which is why each club should have some kind of academy. The club has a duty to it's players and should offer some kind of development. But of course, that comes at a cost. This is where TTFA also need to assist.

And you last statement is where I was going with this. You guys talking about age 14 to 15. These clubs are taking players into their academy at age 8-9...primary school age. Between the age of 8-11 are the crucial years to ensure the kids learn the basics...shooting, dribbling, first touch, first touch away from pressure, running with the ball at different speed levels...all of that needs to be developed. After that then you introduce tactics and game structure. By the time of age 14 those things should be 2nd nature to the kids.

I also think you guys both make great points regarding intercol. But I think that one or two things need to happen. Either you have the pro league clubs develop sound structured academies to assist in proper development of talented youths in T&T, or the TTFA work hand in hand the the SSFL to ensure youths are being properly coached and developed for the later years of their development. It can't be a guesssing game. Sanctions need to be levied against schools if their student athletes aren't maintaining a certain grade in the academic life and if schools hire sub standard coaches for football development. It will hold everyone accountable for the youth development across the board. I would prefer though the club academies be responsible for the development. It will help streamline the development nationwide, it will help the clubs be able to generate interest within the communities, it can help the pro league generate better quality players (and people as well) and if you really start producing world class players you can generate crazy revenue for your youth players being sold to bigger, potentially foreign clubs.  :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »
Fordy, you make some good points.

But remember, the overseas academies are not usually full time for under 16's. They're more like coaching schools, but better.

I do believe in T&T we could have residential coaching schools for the 14 plus age group, but I'm not sure they would work for youngsters.

Also, overseas, there is a documented development programme which allows clubs to obtain a fee if the boy leaves to join another club as a professional. I think Everton benefited from this with Rooney and also Maidstone Utd through Chris Smalling.

Here in T&T there is no official method of valuing the role of the club in development and usually, very few inter club transfer fees.

Players need to begin insisted on multi year contracts to obtain stability. Then, clubs would need to pay a fee for transfers. Then, money can go back into development as there will be a demand for the top players and therefore a financial interest in developing players.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Fordy, you make some good points.

But remember, the overseas academies are not usually full time for under 16's. They're more like coaching schools, but better.

I do believe in T&T we could have residential coaching schools for the 14 plus age group, but I'm not sure they would work for youngsters.

Also, overseas, there is a documented development programme which allows clubs to obtain a fee if the boy leaves to join another club as a professional. I think Everton benefited from this with Rooney and also Maidstone Utd through Chris Smalling.

Here in T&T there is no official method of valuing the role of the club in development and usually, very few inter club transfer fees.

Players need to begin insisted on multi year contracts to obtain stability. Then, clubs would need to pay a fee for transfers. Then, money can go back into development as there will be a demand for the top players and therefore a financial interest in developing players.

You are correct. For English clubs, even at age 16, its going to be very difficult unless the player is a senior member of a national team, youth or senior. However, alot of other countries do have easier access for our boys to enter into their academies or even try out for their academies at the clubs request. I know of two instances where our boys here in the US, Barcelona has sent for one of our players for the past couple of seasons and we have another one scheduled to attend Juventus academy when school is out for December.

Once an academy structure is in place with the pro clubs of course the TTFA in conjunction with the pro league should create transfer rules to facilitate tranfers for youths. Thats the only way clubs can be able to generate revenue from their development programs. Chelsea's budget last year for their academy was $5 million. They sold youth players for a total of $9 million, making a $4 million profit, which goes straight back into the development program. They also have a strategy of loaning youth players out so that they can gain that senior level experience.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »

Years ago the old race track in san fernando was supposed to be developed to be a sports academy taking in kids 11+ the idea was to have all the major sports develop kids to the age of 18.
Then they would have gone on to an adult system.

It was supposed to be live in and have an academic and technical shool housed there as well, the plan was to close down the youth camps and use this instead.

They close down the youth camps and di not do the rest.
Instead we have a watered down programme in UTT

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
In general, if you were the owner and CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, would you:
A) Sponsor a club team in TnT and it could be at any level.
B) Sponsor the TT Pro League or any other league in TnT for that matter.
C) Both.
D) Or, None of the above.
And why?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:42:13 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
TTFA Technical Director Kendall Walkes and his assistant Muhammad Isa talk about the development of football in Trinidad and Tobago
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kEbn1Nmz-lk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kEbn1Nmz-lk</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
Tallman, this episode below of Field of Dreams hits home even harder on action to be taken to RESTORE T&T FOOTBALL
Selby Browne & hosted by Steve David. Browne given the floor to talk, talk, plan, strategize and organize.
His opening mantra "Enough is enough"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVq2XInmYIc
Please make this episode more easily viewed. A must view!!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>