April 19, 2024, 01:30:22 AM

Author Topic: RIP Rudy Roberts  (Read 2876 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RIP Rudy Roberts
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »
I cyant believe nobody ent post this article. I now stumble upon it.

Rudy was a man in the Savannah every weekend for years. A real real grassroots football man. He "discovered" me and drafted me into the North Zone U-14 team back in 1993. Rest in Peace Rudy.

Rudy Roberts passes on

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Rudy-Roberts-passes-on-217681801.html

Story Created: Jul 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM ECT

Story Updated: Jul 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) North Zone stalwart, Rudolph “Rudy” Roberts passed away on Saturday morning.

Roberts, 76, was a fixture in the Queen’s Park Savannah for many years, collecting results to dispatch to the media. He had been ailing, mainly with heart complications, which resulted in his death. The funeral service for Roberts takes place from 9 a.m. today, at St Mary’s Church, St James. His burial is scheduled for 11 a.m., at West End Cemetery, St James.

“He (Rudy) was a good soldier in football,” said former T&T and Defence Force youth manager, Oswald “Danny” Davis. “Rudy was a good football administrator. Both of us worked alongside Albert Goddard in the North Zone. The three of us finished our time in the Savannah three years ago because of health reasons.”

Roberts, who managed various T&T youth teams, was also a former Joe Public coaching school manager. He grew up in St James, and played for Spartak and Malvern.

The TT Pro League has sent its condolences to the family and friends of Roberts.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Rudy Roberts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »
Is he in anyway related to darryl roberts??

anyway RIP old soldier.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »
Can't belive what i'm reading this morning,my dear friend Rudy Roberts is gone,is so much could be said about this guy it's unbelieveable,he was the most dependable guy it had in Football,never favoured anyone and was there for everyone,is guys like him who was responsible for Football in the good old days and always had a smile on his face,my condolences go out to his family and may he RIP.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
I did not know Rudy Roberts, but I heard so much about him.  I understaand that he was really a good soul.  People described him as a  person like "Chicken" Leoteau.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Not mentioned above, so I'm wondering is this the same Rudy Roberts that was on the field in Haiti in '73?

http://ttfootballhistory.com/node/1225

"Henrique who does not understand a word of English, decided it was a goal in the 12th minute when a long throw from Winston Phillips landed in the net after brushing off a Haiti defender. It looked legal to me and to the referee on the spot. But with the ball ready to be kicked off, Haitians in the crowd drew the players attention to the fact that the linesman Higuet’s flag was up. I do not know what Higuet could have said but his action, signifying that the goalie had been jostled were strange since Rudy Roberts was the only player close enough to worry the goalie and did nothing of the sort suddenly found favour with the referee whom I repeat had been on the spot and had said goal."

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
That might be a typo E-man. I think was Ray Roberts on the 73 team
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
That might be a typo E-man. I think was Ray Roberts on the 73 team
That makes sense

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
I did not know Rudy Roberts, but I heard so much about him.  I understaand that he was really a good soul.  People described him as a  person like "Chicken" Leoteau.
    Yes they were both one and the same,those were the guys that would do anything for Football,cut ground,put up nets,mark fields etc etc and still do administration work for Peanuts.Rudy was the heart of Cocorite Utd.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
This is really tough to believe I was in T&T when he passed and didn't know it wow.... sad indeed. I remember Rudy and "Chicken" both ran the operations of Carib Peterborough and he(Rudy) was also very instrumental in Cocorite UTD as well. Those who know him will also know that he was a no nonsense man who talk his mind straight out and stood up to JW on many issues while the yes men of North Zone agreed to JW's on those issues. A sad day.

R.I.P Rudy :( :o
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:59:44 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
RIP Mr. Roberts.  Condolences to his family and friends.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
Condolences to his family, friends and all who knew him and admired his devotion to community football in T&T. RIP!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>