April 18, 2024, 06:49:56 PM

Author Topic: Melons more than Football.  (Read 8752 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Melons more than Football.
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
Melons more than Football.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Now a watermelon patch and a squatter’s paradise, the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella, South Trinidad is in need of a desperate facelift as the stadium that is only 12 years young, seems to be heading into ground.

The stadium is dilapidated and has an influx of watermelons. The pitch itself seems unusable, the drainage is an obvious problem and the track around the field needs to be redone. It is also reported that the doors and bathroom fittings are missing.

"It seems there is no accountability in Trinidad and Tobago anymore. Those people who fail to look after the stadium should be made to pay. They have a duty of care, a responsibility to the citizens. This is nothing short of criminal negligence”, added one SWO member.

Millions wasted.

The Brian Lara Cricket Academy (now a fete venue) in Tarouba conceived in 1999, began in 2007 and was expected to be completed in time to host matches for the 2007 Cricket World Cup is yet to be finished some 6 years and counting and the cost of the project has surpassed $800 million.

Mind you, the Minister of Sport is spending over $1.4 billion dollars on the construction of the Aquatic Centre, Cycling Velodrome and National Tennis Centre and can't spend a mere third of that to refurbish and maintain the stadiums in T&T, including the Hasley Crawford Stadium and its parking lot that looks like a rally cross circuit.

About the “Manny”

The Manny Ramjohn Stadium meanwhile, along with three others (Dwight Yorke, Ato Boldon and Larry Gomes Stadiums) were erected for the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Cup, which was hosted by Trinidad and Tobago. It also hosted games from the 2010 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup.

The Stadium is named after a former long-distance runner who was one of the first persons to win a gold medal for Trinidad and Tobago at the CAC Games in 1946. He was also part of the first group of five athletes to represent Trinidad and Tobago in the Olympic Games (1948). Between 1936 and 1951 he achieved 96 victories, 40 second-place and 13 third-place finishes.

The Stadium is owned by the Trinidad and Tobago government and is maintained by the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPoRTT), a company which is run by the brother of the Ministry of Sport's Permanent Secretary Mr. Ashwin Creed.

SPoRTT is designed for the construction, operation and maintenance of high quality sport and recreation facilities for both communities and high performance athletes who are called to national service among other things.

On March 8th of this year it was reported on the SPoRTT website by Anthony Blake, Facilities Manager at SPORTT, that 80 percent of the works to the field at Larry Gomes and Manny Ramjohn are complete and should be ready for use in approximately eight weeks. We are in August some 5 months since Blake's announcement and still no progress.

The Manny Ramjohn is used by many teams including; W Connection, Police FC, T&TEC FC, St. Benedict’s College, Pleasantville Secondary and Naparima College. Its capacity is 10,000 and was built under the Basdeo Panday/Jack Warner regime. It was formally opened on Sunday 15th July, 2001 by the Honorable Prime Minister Basdeo Pandey, Minister of Sport & Youth Affairs Manohar Ramsaran, and CONCACAF President, Austin Jack Warner.

To date, the Stadium is one of the reasons why many T&T Pro League games are constantly being postponed, and this is a problem that directly affects crowd support.

And what makes these circumstances quite interesting is the fact that most of the main stadiums in T&T are always under construction for parties and fetes. This results in only one stadium being available, the Marvin Lee Stadium (Dr. João Havelange Centre of Excellence) which is owned by former FIFA vive-pesident Jack Warner. Clubs are then forced to rent his facility with little or no gate receipts in return.

Mind you, the Minister of Sports Mr. Anil Roberts is in-bed to the former Sport Minister Jack Warner, the former FIFA vice-president who was banned by FIFA from all football activities was one of the main reasons the Sport Minister got into his current insubordinate position.

In 2008 the then Sport Minister Gary Hunt promised to spend some $102 million to refurbish the four stadiums, however nothing was done. Current Sports Minister Anil Roberts also promised the same, but to this day nothing is being done. It should be noted though that the fields are usually fixed in time for Carnival with millions being dished out to stage fetes and concerts.  And by the time the carnival season is over, the fields are left in a state of disrepair.

The lead persons assigned to the Manny Ramjohn Stadium are Darren Edwards and Rhonda Osborne. Clearly, they are not doing their jobs or simply don’t care about our athletes and youths of Trinidad and Tobago.

VIDEO: - Manny Ramjohn current state

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:20:16 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Melons more than Football.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »
Depressing.

This is why SWO is important to be a separate entity, because no other press cares to cover this.

The minister of sports really dont give a rats ass.

And our people dont seem to care either.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:12:08 AM by Sando »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
The link to the video is no longer working.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
VIDEO: - Manny Ramjohn current state
Link for video seems to be broken.
I wonder if someone decided to delete it due to the embarrassment being caused?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
Trying loggin in first to FB.

I was able to view it yesterday.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
so wham? everybody on facebook or wha?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
Lets see if the Sports Minister go blame this on the PNM- a bunch of jokers  to allow our sports facilities to  get to this deplorable state. Could you imagine if Haiti had these types of facilities what they may  turn out for teams?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
sometimes yuh does have to wonder if you goin and throw good money behind bad. It might be a good time to realistically (scientifically) figure out what size and type of stadium Marabella really need. If there is real demand (of the dollars and cents kind) for a stadium of that size (and consequent cost to maintain) then we would not be reading this article today. But then again Trinis so Vaille-que-Vaille: two placard and a green juzzy for sit-in and to hell with reason - gov't fix all stadium.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Trying loggin in first to FB.

I was able to view it yesterday.

I'm always logged in.  If I'm not friends with the person who uploaded it... or if it's not a public post then most won't see it.

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »
After the photos were posted on Facebook, SPORTT sent someone to quickly cut the grass. The security and people there can vouch for this 100%. The security may not say much though, because of his job. They wanted to do this because media was trying to get in so they wanted it to look like it was being taken care off.

I spoke with Blake yesterday and he told me that it costs $50,000 a month to cut the grass and fertilize the field and that they are normally on top of it.

He told me they sometimes use sub pumps to drain the field so it does not flood as the drainage is really poor.

He said the Larry Gomes and Hasely Crawford will be ready next week.

And they are going to start working on Manny on Monday.

I heard from a close source that the budget his made to cover all of these miscellaneous stuff and when money is pass on to get the job done these guys pocket the money and with Anil there who does not care, he does not follow up to see if the job is done and just take the word of the person responsible. They then take the 50 grand and enjoy themselves every month with it, free money with no accountability.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:07:54 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
This is really a disgrace to the fine name of Mannie Ramjohn. Mannie and Larry or the velodrome stadiums should be converted to turf field. The top of the line turf field. They should also demand that the contractor maintenance company has qualified staff and proper equipment. Proper cover for the field for non sports activities. Also proper storage for the maintenance equipment. The most disgusting thing to see in a stadium is the jumping pit open an sand strewn on the track. The pole vault and high jump cushion out on the field during the rainy season.

About 4 of the fields in the savannah should be converted to turf field. One of the field in Arangez should be converted. UWi, Orange Grove, Woodford Lodge. Skinner park auxiliary, Point, Palo Seco, Fyzo. It have room for that. WE HAVE MONEY to do it.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
After the photos were posted on Facebook, SPORTT sent someone to quickly cut the grass. The security and people there can vouch for this 100%. The security may not say much though, because of his job. They wanted to do this because media was trying to get in so they wanted it to look like it was being taken care off.

I spoke with Blake yesterday and he told me that it costs $50,000 a month to cut the grass and fertilize the field and that they are normally on top of it.

He told me they sometimes use sub pumps to drain the field so it does not flood as the drainage is really poor.

He said the Larry Gomes and Hasely Crawford will be ready next week.

And they are going to start working on Manny on Monday.

I heard from a close source that the budget his made to cover all of these miscellaneous stuff and when money is pass on to get the job done these guys pocket the money and with Anil there who does not care, he does not follow up to see if the job is done and just take the word of the person responsible. They then take the 50 grand and enjoy themselves every month with it, free money with no accountability.

The 50k a month for me a little hard to digest, I am no expert on ground maintenance but I have a friend who does private work like lawn manicuring he have a couple of those riding lawn mowers. He tell me football field shouldn't cost more than TTD 2500 to cut and that real high cause you could cut a football field in less than ah hour so if you cutting the field once a week that is 10k a month. Even if you throw in some fertilizer work and other general maintenance it could go up to 20k. Most of the stadia have a practice pitch on the outside which could cut every 2 weeks so total could be 25k a month for everything. So we paying double the price.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »
Silly old me, but wouldn't it be cost effective to buy a truck and a mower then employ a man at, say $8,000 per month to cut all the stadium fields? Mon: Mannie Tues: Ato Weds: Larry and Thurs Hasley. Friday he could do additional work on a surface in rotation so all pitches get 5 days work per month. And you would own two assets: a truck and a mower!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »
Silly old me, but wouldn't it be cost effective to buy a truck and a mower then employ a man at, say $8,000 per month to cut all the stadium fields? Mon: Mannie Tues: Ato Weds: Larry and Thurs Hasley. Friday he could do additional work on a surface in rotation so all pitches get 5 days work per month. And you would own two assets: a truck and a mower!
When folks are not concerned about spending money efficiently and leaving very little room for inefficiency and corruption then those sort of logical money saving solutions are not readily placed at the top of the agenda.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »

This happens when there is too much money and money laundering gong on in a country.

There is no accountability for how, when and where money is being spent because they could afford to waste it.

Sadly, T&T needs something to happen drastically to the country for them to really start spending money smarter. They do not respect money because they get it to easy.

The people in T&T only looking for their share and once they get it at any cost they couldn't give a dam about what and who is being affected.

There are most cowboys than Indians in T&T...

Sooner than later, they will find another to put in some make up position to show that they care and its another big boss getting money then slipping what ever he can save in Tom, Dick and Harry's pocket.

;D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:40:26 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
Just bear in mind that maintenance involves more than just cutting the grass... and even fertilizing the field.  That's IF they ontop of what they really need to be doing.  Anyways, sad... because I've seen some really nice pics of the Mannie Ramjohn near the water in the past.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
I wonder......hmmm :thinking: ....What does Pamela make of all this? Let me guess. She is stunned. Will heads roll for this? You wish. Taxpayers money being wasted? Which taxpayers we talking bout?  The friggin landlady doesn't know what members of her cabinet are doing or not doing? In that speech she gave yesterday there was no mention of putting a stop to the wasting of the taxpayers money. Is that an indication that the masqueraders can continue to play mass....ah mean the ass?
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »

This happens when there is too much money and money laundering gong on in a country.

There is no accountability for how, when and where money is being spent because they could afford to waste it.

Sadly, T&T needs something to happen drastically to the country for them to really start spending money smarter. They do not respect money because they get it to easy.

The people in T&T only looking for their share and once they get it at any cost they couldn't give a dam about what and who is being affected.

There are most cowboys than Indians in T&T...

Sooner than later, they will find another to put in some make up position to show that they care and its another big boss getting money then slipping what ever he can save in Tom, Dick and Harry's pocket.

;D

Facilities management on a whole is deficient. If the government looked at all it's real estate assets the justification would be quite simple.

MTS is state owned, already stocked with manpower and some equipment, they have permanent employees within their ranks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:40:55 AM by Flex »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
One word: Disgusting! No, two words: Disgusting and disgraceful!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »

No three words: Disgusting, Disgraceful and Distasteful!
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

No three words: Disgusting, Disgraceful and Distasteful!

Thats a bit harsh....I thought the melons looked very tasty, ripened and appetising  :rotfl:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 01:36:46 AM »
-

Cant work FS.
They will hire a manager to manage the process and then have to hire a mechanic to look after the equipment, then they will have to buy PPE and have a safety officer.
Then they will ask for daily reports and weekly reports and have to have an admin assistant to look after all the reports and file them. Then they will have to develop a procurement team to buy the parts for the machines and fertilsers and such.
Then it will be christmas and they will have to have a christmas party in the Hyatt..

Cheaper to spend the 50K per mth.
Ah want de woman on de bass

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 05:21:41 AM »
-

Cant work FS.
They will hire a manager to manage the process and then have to hire a mechanic to look after the equipment, then they will have to buy PPE and have a safety officer.
Then they will ask for daily reports and weekly reports and have to have an admin assistant to look after all the reports and file them. Then they will have to develop a procurement team to buy the parts for the machines and fertilsers and such.
Then it will be christmas and they will have to have a christmas party in the Hyatt..

Thanks for explaining, Fishs. I clearly don't understand the way business works. No wonder I'll never receive a Govt contract!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
-

Cant work FS.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Trinidad & Tobago, the land of plenty work opportunities and plenty BS money wasting opportunities too!

FS solution employs maybe two people and costs us $8,000 per month;
Fishs solution employs at least 10 people and probably costs us over $100,000 per month but plenty people eating once the money is there to be wasted.  :devil:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:32:16 PM by Socapro »

Offline MilkyX

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
You see that word "Tarouba"...just the sound of it gives me an instant headache. What a waste. It looks like a blooming concentration camp from WWII.
Only the humble can be truly great!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
eat ah food, or in this case, a melon  :D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 02:01:27 AM »
Appeal for ‘Ramjohn’ urgency
Need for perfect work forced delay, says Minister
By Kwame Laurence (Express).

Gunness Persad, the man who discovered national sprint champion Keston Bledman, has made an impassioned appeal to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to relay the track at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

“She said ‘serve the people, serve the people, serve the people’. Are we who use Manny Ramjohn not people?”

Back in May, Persad said that because school sports could not be staged at the Ramjohn Stadium, the Simplex Athletic Club talent pool had dried up. Persad had recruited many athletes for Simplex after seeing them perform at school sports at the Ramjohn Stadium. Top of the list was Bledman.

Four months later, and Persad is even more dismayed about the situation at the Ramjohn Stadium.

“I’m happy,” Persad told the Express, “the clubs in Arima who use Larry Gomes stadium have their track. But people are hurting because of Manny Ramjohn.

“The track has not been used since 2012, and the last time a meet was held there was in 2011. I was told they would start work in August, but I fear it might not be ready for 2014. On the 26th of July, I met with the contractor and Mr (Anthony) Blake, facilities manager of all stadiums. They said the plan is to order pumps from Germany to drain water from the ground. There are young, bright civil engineers in Trinidad who could solve the drainage problem in a short space of time.”

But Blake, Manager/Facilities Management at the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT), told the Express it was necessary for Porplastic--the German company contracted to relay the track--to attend to the drainage issue as well.

“If we use someone else to do the drainage, the five-year warranty we’re supposed to get from Porplastic would be voided.”

Blake said the Ramjohn Stadium track could be relaid by late November/early December. He added, though, that achieving that goal was dependent on favourable weather conditions, explaining that rain could lead to further delays.

Persad--one of the coaches that travelled with the Trinidad and Tobago team to the World Championships in Moscow, Russia last month--said he was very disappointed that Minister of Sport Anil Roberts had allowed the Ramjohn Stadium to remain unavailable for so long.

“It appears the Minister of Sport has no plans to fix Manny Ramjohn. How could they award a contract and then speak about a drainage problem?

“When the Minister was a talk show host, he made a big stink about things not going right. If he were still a talk show host, he would be steupsing still over Manny Ramjohn. Pumpkin and watermelon are growing on the field.

“Madam Prime Minister,” Persad continued, “it appears that the Ministry of Sport and the Sports Company have started to canvas for the People’s Partnership government to lose the next general election in 2015, by not fixing the Manny Ramjohn Stadium for the people of south, and all of Trinidad and Tobago, because people from all over run there.

“I want to advise those in authority that the people they meet on the way up, they will meet on the way down. Please fix Manny Ramjohn for us, so we can start to train for 2014 and host Games and all school sports in 2014.”

Persad, who serves as a trustee on the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) executive committee, said he was surprised there has been no outcry from local football authorities.

“How come SSFL and TTFA are keeping silent on the issue? There has been no football at Manny Ramjohn for 2013.”

In response to Persad, Minister Roberts said the Ramjohn Stadium delay was necessary.

“Since 2001, when these tracks were put down, no real work was done on them. The delay is because of the need to put down perfect work. We don’t want to do what PNM did in 2009, spending $10 million for the Caribbean Games, and within three years the work had to be done again. The work was delayed at Manny Ramjohn because of the drainage. These tracks are very expensive, and when there is a variation you have to get approval. We will not waste taxpayers’ money.

“Mr Gunness Persad,” Roberts continued, “we commiserate with him, because we always want to have athletes training. But he finds the time to complain about very good work. I wonder if he has the time to explain to the nation why Semoy Hackett was allowed to run at the World Championships.”

In response to Persad’s assertion that the Ministry of Sport and SPORTT “have started to canvas for the People’s Partnership government to lose the next general election”, Roberts said: “I will not respond to an armchair politician.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
Anil roberts...worst minister of sports in tnt history...kamla eh say she hbn a cabinet reshuffle soon!?
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 04:30:13 AM »
So now that Jack is gone and can no longer be blamed for these current financial problems. Why does it seem to me that the problems getting worse? Or am I missing something?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 04:42:01 AM »
So now that Jack is gone and can no longer be blamed for these current financial problems. Why does it seem to me that the problems getting worse? Or am I missing something?

Jack tell he puppet Anil to starve football......and they can't get private sector funding.  You can thank me later.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>