April 25, 2024, 01:30:23 AM

Author Topic: Jones says Warriors motivated as team departs for Gold Cup.  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones says Warriors motivated as team departs for Gold Cup.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will depart Piarco International Airport at 12:30pm on Wednesday destined for Fort Lauderdale for a six-day training camp before their opening CONCACAF Gold Cup match against Guatemala on July 9th.

Head Coach Stephen Hart and captain Kenwyne Jones will lead the group of players who had been engaged in a residential training camp over the past few days in Port of Spain. Joining the departing contingent on Wednesday will be Kadeem Corbin and Rundell Winchester who were both with the Men’s Under 23 team in Puerto Rico for Olympic qualifiers. Joining the squad in the US will be Slovakia-based winger Lester Peltier, Iceland-based forward Jonathan Glenn as well as US-based trip Kevan George of Columbus Crew, Joevin Jones of Chicago Fire and San Jose Earthquakes’ Cordell Cato.

The final session on home soil took place on Tuesday morning at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Skipper Jones summed up the training camp, saying it brought benefits to the team which had previously been together in 2015 for three other international friendlies against Jordan, Curacao and Panama.

“We came together and worked hard. We had some tough days but it’s something that we needed. After the last two games, we needed that as a wake up call within ourselves. After the difficulties, we had to come together and dig deep as a unit, management staff and players, to try and get the best preparation possible,” Jones told TTFA Media.

The Cardiff City player will be appearing in his third Gold Cup, first appearing under Leo Beenhakker in the 2005 edition with a squad that went on to qualify from the CONCACAF qualifiers that year for the 2006 World Cup Finals. He then helped the team to the quarter final phase in 2013, T&T’s second best finish at the tournament behind the semi-final appearance in 2000 when T&T lost 1-0 to Canada with a team that included the likes of Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke, David Nakhid, Angus Eve, deceased Mickey Trotman, Clayton Ince, Anthony Rougier, Arnold Dwarika, Marvin Andrews among others.

T&T begins its Russia 2018 qualifying campaign at the semi-final phase in November and Jones says the players have reasons to be motivated at this point.

“We have to be very motivated. It’s going to be my third Gold Cup and for quite a few players it will be their first Gold Cup. They have a chance to show what they have and be on a world stage where they can better themselves professionally.

“Apart from the World Cup and World Cup qualifiers I don’t think there are any more tournaments that should need more motivation than this one. As a unit, especially after the last three results we had, I think we are trying to put the team work right first and then go forward into the tournament because we had a pretty decent tournament last time,” Jones stated.

The former Stoke City man said the team was also in mourning with head coach Hart following the death of his mother Monica whose funeral took place on Tuesday.

“As a team we feel for him. We send our condolences out to him and his family. We had to rally around him. Of course when he steps onto the field he will be at his best. We will support him all the way and hopefully he can come through this strongly,” Jones said.

The T&T team will be based at the Sawgrass Grand Hotel in Sunrise, Fort Lauderdale for the next few days.

T&T 23-man Squad

GK – Adrian Foncette (Police FC/Trinidad & Tobago); Marvin Phillip (Point Fortin Civic/Trinidad & Tobago); Jan-Michael Williams (Central FC/Trinidad & Tobago).

DF – Radanfah Abu Bakr (HB Koge/Denmark); Sheldon Bateau (KV Mechelen/Belgium); Daneil Cyrus (DirecTV W Connection/Trinidad & Tobago); Aubrey David (Shakhter Karagandy/Kazakhstan); Yohance Marshall (Juventud Independiente/El Salvador); Mekeil Williams (Antigua GFC/Guatemala).

MF – Andre Boucaud (Dagenham & Redbridge/England); Cordell Cato (San Jose Earthquakes/USA); Keron Cummings (North East Stars/Trinidad & Tobago); Kevan George (Columbus Crew/USA); Khaleem Hyland (KVC Westerlo/Belgium); Dwane James (North East Stars/Trinidad & Tobago); Joevin Jones (Chicago Fire/USA); Lester Peltier (Slovan Bratislava/Slovakia).

FW – Kadeem Corbin (St. Ann Rangers/Trinidad & Tobago); Jonathan Glenn (IBV/Iceland); Ataullah Guerra (Central FC/Trinidad & Tobago); Kenwyne Jones (A.F.C. Bournemouth/Engand); Willis Plaza (Central FC/Trinidad & Tobago); Rundell Winchester (Portland Timbers 2/USA).

Staff – Stephen Hart (Head Coach), Hutson Charles (Assistant Coach), Derek King (Assistant Coach), Michael Maurice (Goalkeeper Coach), Dave Isaac (Physio), Tobias Ottley (Trainer), Terence Babwah (Doctor), Saron Joseph (Trainer/Masseur), William Wallace (Manager), Peter Rampersad (Assistant Manager), Shaun Fuentes (Press Officer).

2015 Gold Cup: Group C Schedule

Date Team Team Venue
July 9 Trinidad and Tobago Guatemala Soldier Field
July 9 Mexico Cuba Soldier Field
July 12 Trinidad and Tobago Cuba University of Phoenix Stadium
July 12 Guatemala Mexico University of Phoenix Stadium
July 15 Cuba Guatemala Bank of America Stadium
July 15 Mexico Trinidad and Tobago Bank of America Stadium
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones says Warriors motivated as team departs for Gold Cup.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
6 days: Chicago, Phoenix , Charlotte.

Hell of a travel itinerary.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
that's a big support staff..no wonder they don't have money

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:22:19 AM »
TT captain Jones: First game at Gold Cup will be crucial.
T&T Newsday Reports.

MEMBERS OF the senior national football team are as ready as can be for the Gold Cup, given the limitations of their preparation for the event; now, the pressure is on to ensure they produce their best from game one of the biennial CONCACAF championship.

That was the sentiment of team captain Kenwyne Jones, as the majority of the squad prepared to wind up their pre-tournament camp two nights ago.

The TT Warriors fly out today for the US, just eight days before their opening match against Guatemala in Chicago. Jones, who was also at the helm for the 2013 Gold Cup, sought to maintain a positive attitude as to where his team is in terms of readiness. “We’re just trying to fine tune to get back up to the levels that we were,” he told Newsday.

“I think going into the last Gold Cup we had just about the same preparation and funnily enough, we did have a pretty decent showing. But we were looking forward to having a better preparation this time, and it didn’t happen for various reasons. So we’re just going to do well as hard as possible to get the result that we need in the first match.”

The Cardiff City striker admitted that a lot could rest on the team’s first assignment, against Guatemala on July 9.

“ Our main focus right now is that first game, so we’re trying to work hard and well enough to build up to that,” he said.

“We still have about five people to join the squad; they will be joining us this week. So hopefully we could fine tune leading up to that game. It’s very important for us to get off to a good start. Last Gold Cup, we had a draw in the first game; so hopefully we could go one better and win the first game and kick on in the tournament.”

The squad, minus half-a-dozen players who will join them in the US, trained on Monday evening at the Hasely Crawford Stadium without head coach Stephen Hart, who was in Tobago on a personal matter.

Since re-assembling following the team’s recent 3-0 hammering at the hands of Jordan, the training was intensified, and Hart has said he now expects a much fitter and energetic group at the Gold Cup.

Jones said the training was “not any different to any team out there,” and he looked upon the defeat in Jordan as something that could work in TT’s favour.

“You can’t lose a game like that in the manner that we did and not learn from it,” he said. “I think for us, we weren’t prepared mentally as a unit and it showed in the match. I don’t think that we’re going to let anything like that happen again. Coming from that loss, we came back and we prepared well. We have a friendly match against Haiti on Friday, and then we forward on to the tournament.”

Another challenge facing TT was the unavailability of six members of Hart’s 23-man squad for the camp. Belgium-based Sheldon Bateau’s view was that it was simply another issue that they would have to surmount.

“If we only have a few days to gel, I guess we have to make it work,” said the former Fatima College and Jabloteh defender. “Because when the tournament starts, I don’t think the coach or the fans want to hear any excuses. So I think the guys are up for it, and like you said, we know each other for some time, so I don’t think it would be too difficult. And also the players coming in, they’re already in tournaments (competition), so I think it won’t be as difficult.”

In 2013, TT advanced from their group on a win, a draw and a loss, scoring four goals and conceding the same number. Asked where he believed his team’s strength would lie in the competition this time around, Jones avoided committing to any player or area of the field.

“Our strength will have to lie in teamwork, the way we move the ball together as a team, the way we defend as a team, the way we go forward as a team. Everyone of the 23 is going to be important. At some point in time everyone could possibly be used and we have to be up to the task to come in and play the role and play it well.” After the game against Haiti on Friday, TT will have just six days before their opening game Gold Cup match against Guatemala in Chicago.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »
Glad to hear we have a game against Haiti on Friday, at least we can fine tune some things going in.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
When will we see a T&T team with the talent and motivation like the 2000 warriors. Will it take another ten years and how is the development phase going ?
 To be able to compete do we need most of the players playing outside of T&T?
 Let the conversation begin- Remember if you fail to prepare- prepare to fail
 The good is often the enemy of the best and short cuts do not cut it at International level.
 Hope springs Eternal or is just national Pride , I ask myself .

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
Gold Cup: Trinidad and Tobago look to advance to knockout rounds again, this time behind the Joneses
By Alicia Rodriguez (MLSsoccer.com)

Flying under the radar coming into the 2015 Gold Cup, Trinidad and Tobago have a decent draw and solid chance of progressing to the knockout stage once again this tournament. The question is whether this squad, composed of a mix of veterans with European experience and young up-and-comers on this side of the Atlantic, will have what it takes to get the better of Guatemala and Cuba and turn some heads this summer.

GROUP C SCHEDULE

July 9: vs. Guatemala, Chicago, Ill.
July 12: vs. Cuba, Glendale, Arizona
July 15: vs. Mexico, Charlotte, N.C.

THREE PLAYERS TO WATCH

Kenwyne Jones, F, Cardiff City: The biggest name on the Soca Warriors’ squad, Jones is a key part of the set-up but has arguably not performed to expectations in his international career to date. The English Premier League and English Championship veteran – fresh off a loan stint helping Bournemouth gain promotion to the Premier League – will need to score at least a few goals if Trinidad and Tobago are to make a run in the Gold Cup.

Joevin Jones, M/D, Chicago Fire: One of three current MLS players on the roster, Jones is already one of the most-capped T&T players on the squad and at just 23, could show off his skills on ball at the international stage. A good start to his tenure with the Fire seems to promise big things for Jones at the Gold Cup.

Sheldon Bateau, D, Mechelen: The 24-year-old has become a regular with Belgian first-division side Mechelen, and has considerable experience against some of the most promising attackers in Europe the last two seasons. The central defender will have his hands full trying to stop the likes of Mexico in the group stage, but an impressive Gold Cup could help his stock rise – and possibly intrigue other European clubs.

THE COACH

Stephen Hart will be familiar to those who followed the Canadian national team in recent years, as he coached in the Canadian set-up across various age levels from 2004-12, capped off with a stint as the senior team boss from 2009-12. Canada were gunning for a hexagonal berth in 2014 World Cup qualifying, but an unforgettable 8-1 loss to Honduras killed those hopes and sealed Hart’s fate as Canada manager.

Now coaching his native country, Hart guided Trinidad & Tobago to a second-place finish in the 2014 Caribbean Cup, only losing on penalties in the final against Jamaica, and will be hoping to reach the knockout stage at the Gold Cup for the second consecutive time.

GOLD CUP HISTORY

The Soca Warriors qualified for the Gold Cup for the second consecutive tournament. They reached the quarterfinals in 2013, falling to Mexico 1-0 in that round. Their best finish in the Gold Cup era was a semifinal berth in 2000, and they finished second in the 1973 CONCACAF Championship.

MLS/USA CONNECTIONS

Besides Chicago’s Jones, Columbus Crew SC midfielder Kevan George and San Jose Earthquakes’ Cordell Cato are on the roster for the tournament…A fourth player, forward Rundell Winchester, currently plays for USL side Portland Timbers 2…former Sporting Kansas City defender Daneil Cyrus, now playing professionally in Vietnam, is also on this Gold Cup squad.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UFTqqb1LyKU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UFTqqb1LyKU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »
Soca Warriors Training Camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Day 1

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2xAGp2v0uDg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2xAGp2v0uDg</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 06:10:37 PM »
Good to see Sancho at the airport to see the troops off.

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Isn't T&T playing a friendly against Haiti this Friday. I noticed no one mentioned that here and the site administrator set up no thread with the Header Haiti VS Trinidad. I guess Haiti is not worthy of an opponent to talk about or may be you guys are not taking Haiti as serious opponent for a friendly before the GOLD cup or simply no one cares about this game...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
MEP...dat staff small ( in numbers) trust me...International teams double that easily
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
MEP...dat staff small ( in numbers) trust me...International teams double that easily

I know but there's always a clamor about money and they are not being fiscally prudent.  There is a Doctor, Physio, Athletic Trainer, Trainer/Masseuse, Manager, Assistant manager and Press Officer. All they need is a Doctor, Athletic Trainer and Manager. How long is this tournament again???

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
Isn't T&T playing a friendly against Haiti this Friday. I noticed no one mentioned that here and the site administrator set up no thread with the Header Haiti VS Trinidad. I guess Haiti is not worthy of an opponent to talk about or may be you guys are not taking Haiti as serious opponent for a friendly before the GOLD cup or simply no one cares about this game...

The game was behind closed doors. I'm guessing that neither team wanted to show their Gold Cup opponents too much before the tournament. Good call in my opinion.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »

I know but there's always a clamor about money and they are not being fiscally prudent.  There is a Doctor, Physio, Athletic Trainer, Trainer/Masseuse, Manager, Assistant manager and Press Officer. All they need is a Doctor, Athletic Trainer and Manager. How long is this tournament again???

I haven't seen the Gold Cup rules but I can tell you that Champions League rules insist on certain staff. We have to provide a doctor at our homes games who would treat both teams, but I believe in the future we would have to travel with a doctor. A physio, trainer, GK coach, and masseur are essential.
Central traveled to Guyana with a Coach, Asst Coach, Physio, Manager, Equipment Manager and a Media Officer. The only possible query would be the assistant manager in my view.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »
A physio and an Athletic trainer are essentially the same...the AT is sport specific and can do massages too.
With a physio. AT and Asst AT seems as if you have one person tpo bag the ice and another tie it and a third to apply it to the injury.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 06:45:48 AM »
A physio and an Athletic trainer are essentially the same...the AT is sport specific and can do massages too.
With a physio. AT and Asst AT seems as if you have one person tpo bag the ice and another tie it and a third to apply it to the injury.

It may just be semantics but to me, a physio and trainer have two different roles. The physio tends to injuries and injury recovery and rehab. A trainer would work on conditioning, fitness and stamina. In many clubs there is no trainer so maybe the physio and coaches would adopt the role, but in big clubs and national teams I believe you would need both, with coaches concentrating more on ball skills and tactics.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:09 AM »
An Athletic Therapist would replace both Physio & Athletic Trainer. The Physio would be more suited to long term rehab. The Sport Medicine certified doctor would be more suited to diagnosis. The Athletic Therapist are trained for pre & post game preparation & treatment, some athletic training, some of everything sport related.
A  degree in Exercise Science with specialization in Sports Medicine & Athletic Therapy, would be ideal. Unfortunately, I haven't worked in the field for awhile.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »
An Athletic Therapist would replace both Physio & Athletic Trainer. The Physio would be more suited to long term rehab. The Sport Medicine certified doctor would be more suited to diagnosis. The Athletic Therapist are trained for pre & post game preparation & treatment, some athletic training, some of everything sport related.
A  degree in Exercise Science with specialization in Sports Medicine & Athletic Therapy, would be ideal. Unfortunately, I haven't worked in the field for awhile.

I understand this. From a finance point of view, an Athletic Therapist may be too expensive. In many cases, a trainer such as Gregory Searles would only be employed during pre season to get the squad into shape. But for national teams, one guy would not be enough. With only 3 days between games, you would need one guy working full time on injury and rehab and one on fitness and stamina.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »
MEP, for a tourney like this, that staff size is just right. Like Big Mag. was saying, bigger teams will double the size of our staff. And FS, don't you guys have to provide an ambulance on site for CCL home games?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
Goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams talks about T&T’s preparation for the Gold Cup
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SBK80dy7AqM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SBK80dy7AqM</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
When dey arriving in Chicago?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Scenes from the Warriors arrival in Chicago for Gold Cup opener
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/92lipezgA4k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/92lipezgA4k</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »
Scenes from the Warriors arrival in Chicago for Gold Cup opener
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/92lipezgA4k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/92lipezgA4k</a>
I guess they taking pictures in the new kit?
the blue one looking nice tho.

1]; } ?>