March 29, 2024, 02:33:48 AM

Author Topic: Inside the Hyperloop: the pneumatic travel system faster than the speed of sound  (Read 2063 times)

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
If this is for 'real', currently doable, and financially feasible to build, then it may be something that T&T may want to consider as a transportation alternative instead of the Train-line project that hasn't been discussed for 2-3 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10235261/Inside-the-Hyperloop-the-pneumatic-travel-system-faster-than-the-speed-of-sound.html
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
If this is for 'real', currently doable, and financially feasible to build, then it may be something that T&T may want to consider as a transportation alternative instead of the Train-line project that hasn't been discussed for 2-3 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10235261/Inside-the-Hyperloop-the-pneumatic-travel-system-faster-than-the-speed-of-sound.html

surprised to see elon musk backing this venture. interesting timing with the derailed trains in spain and quebec in the news. what would a runaway hyperloop look like?

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile

surprised to see elon musk backing this venture. interesting timing with the derailed trains in spain and quebec in the news. what would a runaway hyperloop look like?

Not surprised he's backing it, based on his prior projects --- the Tesla electric car company, & space ventures etc.

And good question about the potential risks.  I was wondering the same thing, since the individual cars can move at subsonic speeds.  I'm sure there would be safety measures in place, but that don't usually amount to a hill-of-beans since no system is fools-proof, and will eventually suffer some accidents and mishaps.

Still worthwhile to consider, if everything checks out.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile

Not surprised he's backing it, based on his prior projects --- the Tesla electric car company, & space ventures etc.

And good question about the potential risks.  I was wondering the same thing, since the individual cars can move at subsonic speeds.  I'm sure there would be safety measures in place, but that don't usually amount to a hill-of-beans since no system is fools-proof, and will eventually suffer some accidents and mishaps.

Happened upon this look from a civil engineer - just looking at the numbers:

http://qz.com/114463/does-the-hyperloop-even-make-sense-for-california/

An interesting point in there is the cost of land purchases - definitely makes high speed rail a less attractive option.

Still, the hyperloop could have advantages over air in supplying the intermediate towns - not a lot of these but still more feasible for freight than air.

However, when the Big One hit, all that effort will be wasted. Good chance a fixed link would be damaged.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile

Happened upon this look from a civil engineer - just looking at the numbers:

http://qz.com/114463/does-the-hyperloop-even-make-sense-for-california/

An interesting point in there is the cost of land purchases - definitely makes high speed rail a less attractive option.

Still, the hyperloop could have advantages over air in supplying the intermediate towns - not a lot of these but still more feasible for freight than air.

However, when the Big One hit, all that effort will be wasted. Good chance a fixed link would be damaged.

Nice link.  Indeed....one of the advantages of the hyperloop system in California would be constructing it along the I-5 highway to avoid the costly land purchases, as the article mentions.  This is where over-budgeted the high-speed rail system fails.

You brought up a great point with regards to the dangers of 'earthquakes'.  Trinidad with all those tremors will need to definitely take that into consideration when looking at the various options for alternative transportation.  Any system built, will have to be able to withstand a theoretical 'big-one' of at least 9.0 on the Richter scale and above I'm assuming.

One thing that I'm not a huge fan of with the hyperloop system is the 'coffin-like' confinement of the cars.  Though the trips are quite short due to the incredible speed, the confinement seems a bit claustrophobic.  Not a huge fan of that aspect at all...lol       

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Safety?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Safety?

Toilet?

I'm wondering how people are supposed to take a leak in these things?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Safety?

Toilet?

Supposedly since the trip is subsonic speed (just under the speed of sound), then going to POS to Sando could take as little as less than 1-2 mins....so having a toilet would not be required.   The trips are supposed to be extremely short, especially in a small country like Trinidad.

Unless I'm wrong, Tobago wouldn't need it I'm assuming, since their traffic situation isn't really comparable to Trinidad.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Safety?

It's mostly an untested technology on humans, so safety would be a huge concern.  There's a lot that can go wrong with a system like that, so a lot of work needs to be done beforehand before it should be decided on and built.  But at the same time, every mode of transportation out there has safety concerns...though at least those other modes of transportation have been around for so long, that much more is known about them.  But little is known about the safety of having a system such as the Hyperloop for human ridership.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Safety?

Toilet?

??? Same way yuh does take a leak in a plane going 500 mph
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Safety?

Toilet?

Kinda limited for space...unless yuh plan to soak yuh golden shower the person in de seat next to yuh
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
Safety?

Toilet?

Kinda limited for space...unless yuh plan to soak yuh golden shower the person in de seat next to yuh

Also the way the individual cars seem to be arranged and confined, you really eh want to buss a fart in there.  If they ever build that system, I could see sales of doubles with pepper taking a serious nose-dive.   ;D

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One thing that I'm not a huge fan of with the hyperloop system is the 'coffin-like' confinement of the cars.  Though the trips are quite short due to the incredible speed, the confinement seems a bit claustrophobic.  Not a huge fan of that aspect at all...lol       

The confinement could be a problem for some people, but they could get creative and create "windows" using lcd screens and show film of the countryside blurring by to give the effect like yuh traveling in a train. If it raining outside, the images will turn grey and rainy... If they really want to mess with people perception, the image will go slow like yuh on a donkey cart or rickshaw while really flying at 700mph.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile

The confinement could be a problem for some people, but they could get creative and create "windows" using lcd screens and show film of the countryside blurring by to give the effect like yuh traveling in a train. If it raining outside, the images will turn grey and rainy... If they really want to mess with people perception, the image will go slow like yuh on a donkey cart or rickshaw while really flying at 700mph.

Tru' tallk!  That would actually be a great idea to create the illusion of 'space'.   

1]; } ?>