April 28, 2024, 01:16:09 PM

Author Topic: Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Thread.  (Read 15160 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
Ramesh, Jack join forces again

A platform shared by former United National Congress (UNC) chairman and minister Jack Warner and former UNC attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj yesterday prompted hopes that another RamJack faction was in the future. The two, who formed a brief alliance back in 2009 with the Caravan for Change, spoke again about joining forces for social change in the face of public dissatisfaction with the People’s Partnership Government. 

This alliance, called the Platform for Change, will see the two speaking at meetings throughout the country for social change. Maharaj described Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar as a “weak leader” who let her ministers do what they wanted regardless of the consequences. He criticised her complicit role in the unfolding “prisongate” issue and said she was wrong to allow Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to investigate his own office.

Maharaj recalled being screened to contest the Tabaquite seat in the build up to the 2010 elections and said he was denied because of a strong and vocal stand against internal corruption. Warner was already speaking and paused to ask Maharaj to tell the crowd what Persad-Bissessar asked him during the screening process. Maharaj said Persad-Bissessar asked him if there were allegations of corruption against the Prime Minister and the Government, would he stay quiet or be vocal.

“I said madam, I would be more vocal than I was years ago,” Maharaj said. “The Prime Minister is the weakest Prime Minister we have ever had, even worse than Chambers,” he said. He called on the public to be more involved in what was happening in the country, saying that the waste of taxpayers money directly affected the country. Warner, speaking after Maharaj, said a “gang of six” benefitted from the prisongate scandal.

He called on the Congress of the People to come forward and speak out against what is happening in the Government as they spoke out against him. Warner said he was going to write to the Commonwealth Secretariat regarding Ramlogan’s excesses and will also write to all the Attorneys General within the Commonwealth to inform them of Ramlogan’s behaviour. Maharaj said he was unifying with other groups to fight for social justice. “It is not a political alliance.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-05-04/ramesh-jack-join-forces-again

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
Does not make this a viable option- again when will the electorates take arose of moral fortitude and  say no to moral corruption. Any leader with a history of  allegations  to his / her  name is questionable for me as a leader who  quivers at the thought of leading a nation.

How the Kaiso goes- No Moral authority
Next......
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:24:48 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
Jack admits to defaming councillor

Independent Liberal Party (ILP) leader Jack Warner has admitted to defaming expelled party member and Chaguanas councillor Faaiq Mohammed. During a hearing of Mohammed’s lawsuit in the Port-of-Spain High Court yesterday, Warner’s attorney, Om Lalla, said his client wished to accept liability in the case to save judicial time and to give Warner an opportunity to focus on his other ongoing litigation matters. Lalla said: “Having received advice and witnessing the proceedings, my client has taken the position to accept liability.”

He said he had already begun discussions with Mohammed’s lawyers in an attempt to agree on the compensation Warner would have to pay, as well as the terms of an apology and corresponding retraction. Warner’s decision comes just under three weeks before the case was due to go on trial before Justice Vasheist Kokaram and two days after the last hearing, when both sets of attorneys made applications for irrelevant and baseless hearsay information to be struck from both sides’ witness statements. 

As Kokaram was set to deliver his oral ruling, Lalla reported Warner’s change in position and suggested that the ruling would now be academic and unnecessary. “I am quite confident that regardless of what the decision is, that there is still a defendable case,” Lalla said. Mohammed’s attorney Avory Sinanan, SC, disagreed, saying Kokaram’s decision was required to develop case law related to defamation and libel. 

He also said the ruling would also assist if the two parties could not arrive at an agreement, in which case Kokaram would be required to assess the damages to which Mohammed is entitled. Kokaram eventually agreed with Sinanan and gave his ruling, in which he removed parts of the witness statements which were deemed to be opinion and unsupported by evidence. 

As part of his ruling, Kokaram commended both parties for their diligence in keeping deadlines in the case as well as for abiding by an initial agreement in which Warner had promised to not repeat his statements. Mohammed, a 25-year-old student at the University of the West Indies (UWI), initiated the lawsuit after he voted for a United National Congress candidate for the post of presiding officer during the first meeting of the Chaguanas Borough Corporation, almost a month after the local government elections last October.

Mohammed, the councillor for Charlieville, claimed he was immediately expelled from the party by Warner, who then made defamatory statements about him, accusing him of taking a bribe. Before agreeing to settle the matter, Warner was relying on the three-pronged defence of fair comment, justification and qualified privilege. Among the witnesses Warner cited to defend against the claim was television host and businessman Inshan Ismael. 

The parties have until June 9 to come to an agreement on the settlement. If unsuccessful they will return before Kokaram on July 1.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-05-08/jack-admits-defaming-councillor
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:47:05 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:47 AM »
Jack to pay in defamation claim
T&T Newsday Reports.

INDEPENDENT Liberal Party leader, Jack Warner, has accepted liability in the defamation claim against him brought by Chaguanas councillor Faaiq Mohammed.

Warner’s position was relayed to Justice Vasheist Kokaram at a hearing at the Port-of-Spain High Court, yesterday, where the judge also struck out several portions of affidavits filed by both men, and their witnesses.

Mohammed, a 25-year-old student of international relations at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine, filed the action in November last year, after he complained of defamatory comments made by the ILP leader, earlier in November, last year, after Mohammed voted for the United National Congress’ candidate for presiding officer at the first meeting of the Chaguanas Borough Corporation.

Mohammed was eventually expelled from the ILP.

Warner’s lawyer, Om Lalla, told Kokaram his client’s position was relayed to Mohammed’s legal counsel, and all that remains was the quantum of damages to be paid to Mohammed as neither side could arrive at a figure at yesterday’s hearing.

Lawyers representing both men have indicated that they will meet within the month, to hold discussions, to arrive at an agreed figure.

Lalla said his client wanted to bring the matter to an end.

Kokaram has advised that the issue of the quantum of compensation can be done under the cover of confidentiality.

Both sides are to return to court on May 29, at which time they will inform the judge of the outcome of the discussions on compensation.

In default of any agreement being made, Kokaram has given directions for the filing of submissions on the issue of quantum of damages, and parties will return to court on June 9.

At yesterday’s hearing, Kokaram also dealt with evidential objections filed by attorneys representing both Mohammed and Warner, striking out substantial portions of both men’s witness statements and evidence submitted by Warner’s witnesses.

In his ruling the judge struck out the evidence on the basis of irrelevance and lacking in probative value.

In his defamation claim, Mohammed also called for an apology from Warner and demanded payment of a sum in damages “to demonstrate the baselessness of the allegations, and to compensate Mohammed for the injury to his reputation and distress caused by Warner’s statements.”

Representing Mohammed are Senior Counsel Avory Sinanan, Kelvin Ramkissoon and Nizam Saladeen.

In his lawsuit, Mohammed also claimed that his vote incurred Warner’s ire, and at several subsequent press conferences and in conversations with the media, Warner castigated Mohammed and publicly accused him of “selling out to the UNC.”

He also alleged that Warner engaged “in an exercise and campaign of public defamation and humiliation of him” by repeatedly broadcasting defamatory words against him in the Chaguanas community.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »
Oudit quits ILP
T&T Newsday Reports.

Lyndira Oudit yesterday took her final exit from the Independent Liberal Party (ILP).

After resigning as political leader last year, she is no longer an ILP member, Oudit announced yesterday.

She had planned to do so, ever since giving up the ILP leadership post last November, Oudit admitted to Newsday.

“I started to leave the ILP last year. Leaving as political leader was the first step. It had been the culmination of a series of things, and that was the first step, this was the second,” she said of her departure.

It’s not the first time she has left a political party, as she quit the United National Congress (UNC) in August 2013 and gave up the Senate vice-presidency to join the ILP, led by Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner. Warner himself quit as UNC chairman and Government Minister to form the ILP.

Oudit said she was never really in control of the ILP’s affairs, and was never respected as political leader.

As an example she spoke of an incident last August, when Warner, then the ILP chairman, held a press conference about taking legal action in response to the “runoff bill” without seeking her counsel.

“On August 29, the Senate debate ended at 3 am with the Constitutional Amendment Bill, and at 9 that morning, I got an email inviting me to a press conference that the party was having. I am the political leader, I am invited to a press conference at 3 o’clock that afternoon. Now if he (Jack Warner) had asked me, I would have said that I don’t believe that it was the right time. I think the debate in the Senate has just completed, and it has to go back to the Lower House. I was a member of the Senate, he was a member of Parliament. He must understand how the Parliament works,” Oudit recounted.

“What are you going to fight, a debate?” she lamented. “Your legal argument is against a debate? It is not a law. What is the preemptive action? Why do you need to go down this road? And so, that was just one example, from there, it just went downhill.”

Does she plan to join another party? Oudit said that it was not in her plans right now. “I have no immediate plans to join any political party. I have been a member of the UNC from 1999 to 2013, and the only other party that I’ve joined is the ILP. I’ve had calls from the UNC, I’ve had calls from the PNM (People’s National Movement) and I’ve had calls from the COP (Congress of the People), not the political leaders; at the different levels. And at this time...I think Trinidad and Tobago is at a cusp, we have to start figuring country.”

The People’s Partnership Government, of which the UNC is the majority partner, faces corruption allegations, and Oudit questioned whether it would place the “same people” to contest the general election this year.

“Or are they prepared to change who they are putting out there for the people?...And that’s a challenge that the Partnership has,” she said.

She noted that over the last 50 years, the one party that has held the helm of administration and government has been the PNM, and her question is whether the PNM can turn the tide in the next five years.

“Can they offer something that is different in the next five years that they could have done in the last 40-something years? That’s one question for me.”

Oudit felt that the ILP was just too personal, focussed on destroying the Government and not building itself as an alternative for the electorate, especially the youths. This, Oudit said, she pointed out to Warner after the ILP failed to win control of any regional corporation in the 2013 Local Government Elections.

“I took a position of how you build the party. We need the young people to have something they can go towards. In some cases, they have rejected the traditional parties, and we saw that during the local election.”

She believes the ILP has lost even more ground in the past year.

“Right now if you ask somebody, what is the ILP, it’s as if the last year didn’t exist. And that’s what I was trying to do, I was trying to build something that would be sustainable.”

Warner: ILP left Lyndira

However, in his view Warner said the ILP “left” Oudit a while ago.

“She did not leave the ILP. The ILP left her several months ago. I am honestly worried about her political sanity,” Warner told Newsday.

Recalling how she left the UNC, joined the ILP, then quit as leader within a year, Warner said the party drifted away from Oudit because of her lack of leadership.

Warner said he now understands Oudit, a former Senate Vice-President is now “soliciting” PNM membership to contest the Pointe-a-Pierre constituency in this year’s general election. The PNM has already chosen businessman Neil Mohammed as its candidate to contest this seat.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »
ILP—dark horse or dead force?
By Reshma Ragoonath (Gurdian).

Jack’s aiming to be the spoiler—analysts

Independent Liberal Party leader Jack Warner is confident he will hold the trump card to determine who will form the next government in the 2015 general election, but political analysts believe otherwise. In fact, they all believe that the ILP will be a dead force rather than a dark horse on the political landscape when the election bell tolls.

Warner, speaking to the Sunday Guardian about his party’s political future, said the ILP should not be counted out of the general election race since the party has ground support and will be a force to be reckoned with in 2015. He emphatically declared that “no party in this country, none could form the government in this country without the ILP.”

The ILP, he said, would not be contesting all 41 constituencies, but would be sticking to “fighting all the marginal seats and a few others where we believe we stand a very good chance of winning.” Warner, who appeared confident, had previously indicated the ILP would contest 23 seats. Political analysts Dr Bishnu Ragoonath, Dr Winford James and Maukesh Basdeo who weighed in on the ILP’s chances, said the party needed to join forces with another political party to make a difference.

Ragoonath—ILP may split votes or join up

Political analyst Dr Bishnu Ragoonath said at present he did not view the ILP as a force to be reckoned with on the political landscape. He said this position might change as the country drew closer to the 2015 polls. However, Ragoonath affirmed: “At this point in time I am not sure I could say they are a force to be reckoned with.” He said there were many variables that could affect the ILP. He said the party might be able to split the votes or “they could very well be joining with somebody else to make a difference.”

However, he said, it was more likely that the party would fail to make any impact at all at the polls and, like the COP, would need to join forces. “As of this point in time, I would think the COP is a little bit stronger than the ILP. COP has a lifeline with the UNC. I do not think the ILP has such a lifeline at this point in time,” Ragoonath said.

James—Jack aiming to be a spoiler

Political analyst Dr Winford James, in his analysis of the political developments, contended that historically it has been very difficult for any third party to break the two-party pattern of voting in T&T. The ILP, he said, had a tough fight ahead if it wanted to make a serious impact. “As to the likely success of the ILP or any third party in a general elections, it is going to be very difficult. We do not have any history of any third party. (Apart from) I suppose the TOP in Tobago, we do not have a success story for a third party in T&T,” James contended.

He said up to this point, Warner had not shared many details on his plans for the ILP or who his candidates were going to be, but he had expressed confidence about the likely success of his party. James cautioned: “Mr Warner would be hoping that his success in Chaguanas West carries over into the elections. That, of course, is a huge mountain he will have to climb.” He contended that the ILP could not win the elections on their own.

If the party were to win, he said: “that would have to be a miracle. If not a miracle, heavy fraud would have to take place for the ILP to win the elections on their own.” James said clearly Warner was not thinking of joining a coalition before the election. “He is aiming to be a spoiler, to go it on his own, win a few seats and bargain with either the PNM or the UNC because they are the major parties and the ones most likely to win the election,” he said.

The decline of the COP, he said, also made room for Warner and “strengthens his hand, strengthens his optimism that he can in fact win a few seats.” However, that victory at the polls, he said, depended on the politics Warner used and was likely to use after the election date itself. James said that for general elections “people return to their old loyalties,” which made such matters more dynamic.

Basdeo—Political arrangement needed for ILP survival
Political analyst Maukesh Basdeo made it clear that the ILP could not survive without entering into a political arrangement for the 2015 general election. He said the ILP suffered internal political wranglings similar to those of the COP where executive members opted to leave the party. This, he said, had left the ILP “in a very weak position. The most recent would have been its political leader (Lyndira Oudit) and that says a lot for the party.

“Although Mr Warner is still there I think the ILP has an uphill battle for the 2015 general elections. I think they have support, there is no denying that, but whether they have the support to win any seats, that is another issue,” Basdeo contended. He said when one looked at the polls the ILP was in a position similar to the COP’s, so both parties had an uphill battle. The COP, he said, had an edge over the ILP by being part of the People’s Partnership.

“The best suggestion I can make right now is finding some sort of political arrangement with one of the two political parties. They have an advantage being in a coalition, that is the advantage (the COP) seems to have over the ILP,” he contended.

Al Rawi—The PNM’s only real opponent is the UNC

PNM PRO Faris Al Rawi said while the party was not dismissing the ILP as a threat, it remained focused on defeating the UNC which it viewed as its only opponent in the 2015 general election.  Al Rawi said the PNM remained the oldest and the “most structured political party in T&T” and the ILP was a young party. However, he contended, the PNM was treating the ILP as it did other political parties “as a potential representative of some of the people of T&T and we therefore do not dismiss it or any other party out of hand.”

Having said that, Al Rawi maintained: “Currently only the UNC stands as a real opponent to the PNM and we are focusing our endeavours on removing the UNC from office.” Al Rawi, while not completely ruling out the possibility of forming an alliance with the ILP should the party capture any seats in the elections, said any and all such decisions would be taken to its membership.

“As and when it becomes a real issue it is the general council and people of the PNM who make such a decision and I certainly as the PRO of the PNM am not in any position to speak to that matter,” Al Rawi said. Attempts to reach UNC campaign leader Rodney Charles proved futile as calls and text messages to his cellphone went unanswered. UNC executives and COP executives are adamant that the ILP would not be welcomed into the coalition unless Warner proved himself trustworthy.

Warner—the power broker

The ILP leader is confident that he can be a power broker in the 2015 general election since he expects to hold the pendulum to shift power either to the People’s Partnership or the People’s National Movement. A power broker is defined as a person “who deliberately affects the distribution of political or economic power by exerting influence or by intrigue.” It appears that Warner stands ready to assume this role in the 2015 polls as he confidently declared, in a Sunday Guardian interview, that “we (the ILP) have now legitimised our position as the third force.

“The fact is we are the only third force. I said in 2013 after the local government elections when we got 102,000 votes and you see now before your very eyes that the COP has disintegrated and collapsed,” he said. He said the party remained strong and had not suffered any real adverse impact from the departure of former leader Lyndira Oudit. “The only person left the ILP of substance is Anna Deonarine (former deputy leader) and even that has not caused or led to the demise of the ILP,” he added.

He said hundreds of people had joined the party to date and “in the fullness of time we shall announce our candidates, half of whom have been screened already and time will tell.” Warner said so far the ILP had screened candidates for 12 constituencies. He said the candidates had been asked to start working and “declare themselves shadow MPs for the time being and we have not ratified their disclosure for obvious reasons.”

Warner is playing his cards close to his chest about whom he would most likely join forces with should he obtain sufficient seats to shift the balance of power. “I would consider all parties that share our ideals, our goals, our objectives. But it is premature for us to say at this stage what we shall be doing and therefore I will have to leave it at that for the time being,” Warner said. PNM PRO Faris Al Rawi said Warner was free to consider himself as a power broker, but the PNM was focused on the PNM.

Political analyst Dr Winford James said Warner’s view of himself as a power broker was an “important and interesting statement.” However, he said, the ILP leader had to tell the nation how many seats he needed to win in order to be a power broker. “Clearly not everyone will have the same level of optimism as Mr Warner on the likelihood of his victory. Politicians will always have to talk with confidence, but the idea of him being a power broker is not a trivial matter so that we should keep that statement in mind as events unfold,” James said.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »
I LOVE POWER
I LOVE PEOPLE
I LOVE PRISON

The meaning of the ILP as my peeps see it.

A Weary classic ...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »
Former ILP deputy joins UNC, slams Warner
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

Corruption-accused Jack Warner was last night described as the “greatest political con job” by former deputy leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Anna Deonarine, who said she was ashamed to have been close to him.

Deonarine made a surprise debut on the United National Congress (UNC) platform last night at the St Helena Hindu School.

Deonarine was one of the frontline speakers when the ILP was born in 2013 and she campaigned aggressively with Warner for the Chaguanas West by-election where he emerged victorious.

Deonarine resigned as deputy leader last year.

She was subject to attacks from the UNC during her days of loyalty to Warner. Former AG Anand Ramlogan had claimed that Deonarine's Range Rover was a stolen vehicle.

Deonarine's luxury Range Rover Sport HSE, valued at about $500,000, which was bought from an agent in England, was seized by local police after it was reported as a stolen vehicle by British police.

Ramlogan had also said that Deonarine was the major beneficiary of the sale of 20 acres of land, bought by her parents from Dole Chadee's brother, Thackoor Boodram, in 1997, for $225,000 and then sold by them to CLICO for $13 million. The $13 million was credited to a CLICO policy in Anna Deonarine's name on March 29, 2005.

Warner had defended Deonarine who was then forced to flee her home with her children for fear of being harassed.

Clearly putting all animosity aside, Deonarine graced the UNC platform in defence of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar who has been the subject of attacks by Warner.

“Tonight I stand before you seeking to right a wrong,” said Deonarine.

“I admit that I assisted the man, one who can be described as the greatest political con job against the UNC and the Partnership,” said Deonarine.

She said when Warner asked her to assist him in the Chaguanas West by-election, she agreed to do so because she believed him when he said that the Sir David Simmons report against him was a “concoction of lies”.

‘I was a gullible child'

The report from the FIFA Ethics committee found Warner was involved in financial impropriety during his tenure at FIFA.

Deonarine said as a “gullible child” she believed everything that Warner fed to her.

“I felt this was a man that was wronged and that I had to stand up with him, I trusted him when he told me that he has no intention whatsoever from turning away from the Partnership,” she said.

She said she believed Warner when he said that the PNM was the “biggest blight” to ever visit this country.

Deonarine said she neglected her duties as a wife and mother and proceeded to travel to every length and breadth of Chaguanas West with Warner.

She said today she feels shame.

“The unmitigated shame and embarrassment that I now feel, the shame that I feel as a former ILP member and as a woman, as a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, that has led me to return to the political platform,” she said.

“How dare you lie unashamedly to me and to the people of Trinidad and Tobago!” Deonarine said as she directed to Warner.

She said when she sees Warner now forming an “unholy alliance” with the PNM she asks herself, “What manner of man is this?”

She said Warner has sought to deflect from the overwhelming claims of racketeering and money laundering against him.

Deonarine slammed Warner for aiming his attacks against the Prime Minister.

“Why is he now attacking the Prime Minister? Was she there in FIFA when the alleged money laundering was going on?” she asked.

She questioned whether the Prime Minister should have gone to Warner and first seek his approval and permission for the US authorities to lay charges against him. She said the Jack Warner she sees today is not the man she knew.

Deonarine said further that she has information on the “gruesome twosome's” secret handshakes and clandestine meetings Warner has been having.

Using Warner's own line she said, “But not tonight.”

Deonarine said she does not care about Warner's declaration of the gloves being off, she said she has put on her political battle gear and will stand up for the Prime Minister.

The Prime Minister focused her address on detailing some of her Government's plans for the future and boasting of the track record of delivery.

However, she did spend a few minutes knocking Warner who had called on the Prime Minister to say who was in the room next to her during her official visit to China.

PM: Warner can't go to France

Persad-Bissessar said her husband Dr Gregory Bissessar accompanied her on the China visit.

She said growing up there was the expression “Go to France” and she wish she could say the same to Warner but “the poor man, he can't go to any country, he can't go anywhere in the world”.

She also urged people to not be afraid of any “obeah talk”.

“Do not let any obeah talk frighten you. Do not be afraid of any obeah talk, I am not afraid,” she said.

She said further that Community Development Minister Winston Peters had told her she's a “Baptu”- a Baptist and a Hindu and therefore had nothing to fear.

Persad-Bissessar reiterated that she was a strong woman and makes no apologies for her leadership and taking the tough decisions.

“I will fight like a lioness, I will fight for you, all the people and all the children of Trinidad and Tobago” she said as she pledged to build a new Trinidad and Tobago in the way forward.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2015, 04:29:44 AM »
Deonarine upgrading security for her family
By Renuka Singh (Guardian).

Former deputy leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Anna Deonarine plans to increase private security around her and her family after boldly taking on her former boss Jack Warner on Friday night from the United National Congress (UNC) platform.

After publicly attacking Warner from the relative safety of the UNC platform in St Helena, Deonarine confirmed to the Sunday Guardian yesterday that she was now contemplating a strong security contingent for her family as she expected that the general election campaign would become ever more heated.

​FLASHBACK

During Deonarine’s strident support for Warner on the Chaguanas West campaign trail in October 2013, the Sunday Guardian obtained information that Deonarine was interviewed by police investigators regarding an alleged link to a luxury vehicle stolen in the United Kingdom, which was then sold through a broker and shipped to Trinidad. The vehicle was registered locally to a company which listed Deonarine among its directors. The white Range Rover was seized by police.

Warner addressed that issue on an ILP platform, offering Deonarine the services of his retained senior counsel to sue the newspaper as Deonarine had then denied any involvement in the matter. The ILP did issue a pre-action protocol letter against the Sunday Guardian at that time but went no further with the issue, even though more stories on the Range Rover flooded the media.

Subsequently, Ramlogan revealed that Deonarine was a key beneficiary of the sale of land bought by her parents from Dole Chadee’s brother for $225,000, 20 acres of which were later sold to Clico for $13 million. Deonarine’s mother, Shama, worked at Clico at the time.

By September 2014, photos surfaced of Deonarine attending an Independence Day Classical Singing Competition hosted at the Fun Splash Water Park, Debe, by UNC top brass Dr Roodal Moonilal. Deonarine said then that she was not affiliated with any political party.

‘That’s the same party that called her a car thief’

Warner, in a brief telephone interview yesterday, said he had been betrayed by a list of former members of his party, which now included Deonarine.

“But I am sorry for Anna because any woman who is part of that party, especially an educated woman, needs some kind of moral guidance,” he said.

“While I understand that she has been showered with gifts, it is difficult to understand how easily people could still be bought.

“My sorrow for Anna is really for her children who now have the difficult task of coming to terms that their mother is someone that they used to look up to,” Warner said.

When asked if he was concerned that Deonarine had threatened to reveal inside information on him, Warner laughed.

“If she had information on me, I beg of her to make it public. In fact, I will pay for ad space in the daily newspapers, I will give her free exposure in the Sunshine Newspaper, on the Sunshine hour and on Warner TV,” he said, referring to his newspaper, an hour-long radio programme, and his online television station, respectively.

“Seems she has forgotten that that is the same party that called her a car thief and was critical of her mother in her Clico land deal. It boggles my mind that her memory is so short,” Warner said.

Deonarine said she had inside information on Warner as a result of working closely with him during the 2013 Chaguanas West by-election. She said while she did not want to contribute to the debasement engendered by Warner-era politics, she was willing to reveal what she had on him when she mounted subsequent UNC platforms.

The Sunday Guardian has since learned that among the damning revelations to come is information on deals Warner allegedly carried out. She also plans to reveal details of a Warner/People’s National Movement (PNM) collusion.

Ironically, it was to Warner that Deonarine had turned when under attack by former attorney general Anand Ramlogan. Warner helped move Deonarine and her family to a secure, secret location because of the vitriolic attack by Ramlogan over a $13 million land deal involving her mother, Shama Deonarine, who acquired land owned by hanged drug lord Dole Chadee. Defending Deonarine back in October 2013, Warner said because of revelations made by Ramlogan, Deonarine was forced to flee her home with her children for fear of harassment.

Warner had then criticised Ramlogan of disrespecting women, the same charge that Deonarine is now levelling against him. “When I saw what was happening, I knew that something had to be done,” Deonarine said. “It is going to be tough because politics is not an easy choice to make,” she said.

Deonarine said her family was “reluctant” when she first broached the topic of returning to the political fold.

“I took a hiatus for a year and when I saw what was happening in politics, I realised I had to return,” she said.

She said despite her plan to reveal dirt on Warner, she was “walking a tight line” between revealing the truth and falling into gutter politics. “But at the end of the day, I have to be sure that I do not stoop to his level and we help take politics out of the gutter where he brought it. We need to bring it back up to our level,” Deonarine said.

But while Deonarine emphasises she is seeking to bring honour back to politics, there are already rumours that the former ILP activist has been well compensated for her appearance and newfound allegiance to the UNC. The Sunday Guardian was told of Cepep contracts, the promise/award of an NP service station and several legal briefs.

“To this day, I have not received one single thing. I would have loved to get that. Maybe that would make what I am about to face a little easier,” she said.

Deonarine said she knew she had opened the door to personal attacks and the inevitable mud-slinging now that she had spoken out against Warner. She said she also knew he was a formidable opponent.

“But I am prepared for what will be coming. I had to be even before I decided to step back on that platform,” she said.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
where this non-entity come from anyway? steups

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
Woe is me- another one trying to act out ah role of a victim- until people reveal substantial and ocular proof of alleged partnerships, the mudslinging and Panty Politics should stop - why don't they just pack up and " Go Nah"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »
Jack resigns as ILP political leader
By Rachel Espinet (Guardian).

Jack Warner has resigned as the political leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP).

This was announced last night at the ILP’s National Executive meeting at the office of the former Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West, Caroni Savannah Road, Charlieville.

None of the 26 ILP candidates who contested Monday’s general elections were successful in obtaining a seat.

A release from Warner stated that he decided to step down as political leader in order to have a successful succession planning.

“The National Executive was advised by the political leader, Jack Warner, of his irrevocable decision to pass on the mantle of leadership of the party as part of the succession planning of the ILP. Mr Warner stated that the ILP must be a vehicle for the emergence of new political blood and talent, especially from the youth membership of the party,” the release said.

The ILP elections for political leader will be on October 10. All registered members of the ILP qualify to participate in the elections, both in terms of nomination of candidates for the position of political leader and in voting for the candidate of their choice.

Details of the availability of nomination documents, nomination deadline and the procedure and hours of voting will be announced shortly in accordance with the Constitution of the ILP.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 01:57:38 AM »
Jack resigns as ILP political leader
By Rachael Espinet (Guardian).

Jack Warner has resigned as the political leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP).

This was announced last night at the ILP’s National Executive meeting at the office of the former Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West, Caroni Savannah Road, Charlieville.

None of the 26 ILP candidates who contested Monday’s general elections were successful in obtaining a seat.

A release from Warner stated that he decided to step down as political leader in order to have a successful succession planning.

“The National Executive was advised by the political leader, Jack Warner, of his irrevocable decision to pass on the mantle of leadership of the party as part of the succession planning of the ILP. Mr Warner stated that the ILP must be a vehicle for the emergence of new political blood and talent, especially from the youth membership of the party,” the release said.

The ILP elections for political leader will be on October 10. All registered members of the ILP qualify to participate in the elections, both in terms of nomination of candidates for the position of political leader and in voting for the candidate of their choice.

Details of the availability of nomination documents, nomination deadline and the procedure and hours of voting will be announced shortly in accordance with the Constitution of the ILP.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Ramjit eyes ILP leader post*
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Ramjit eyes ILP leader post*
By Camille Hunte, camille.hunte@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Sep 22, 2015, 7:54 pm AST (T&T Express)

ILP Deputy Political , Rekha Ramjit

Independent Liberal Party (ILP) chairman Rekha Ramjit has shown some interest in taking over the reins of political leader from party founder Jack Warner.

Warner, who indicated that he would be bowing out of active politics following the party’s poor performance at the polls on September 7, will not be seeking re-election when the party holds its internal elections on October 10.

Appearing on CCN TV6’s Morning Edition yesterday, Ramjit said she had not filed nomination papers ahead of Friday’s deadline, but she had not ruled it out.

“There is a possibility. Anything could happen between now and then,” she said.
She, however, said that despite Warner relinquishing leadership of the party, he would still be involved on an advisory level.

Ramjit added the party’s inability to capture any of the 26 seats it contested in the general elections was “devastating”, but that the ILP had achieved its primary goal of getting rid of the Kamla Persad-Bissessar led People’s Partnership government.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:33:28 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »

1]; } ?>