April 29, 2024, 08:08:01 AM

Author Topic: Roberts lashes ‘incompetent’ NSOs  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts lashes ‘incompetent’ NSOs
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »
Like I said, Anil is a vindictive whatever you want to call him. He could have bend over backwards for the youths. Sometimes plans change. Concacf does change plans vai-kee-vai just like Jack's TTFF.  I remeber  the 78 youth team all prime and ready go to PR for a tournament. About 2 weeks before the tournament Concacaf change the age limit. A bunch of  good men could not travel. Brow miss the tour.  Things like this happens.

Is this June they come up with the idea of the tournament, how the hell the new TTFA could have submit for money for that tournament in the yearly budget.

Like I said before, as long as there are no Black business around, football, TF, netball, etc  go suffer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:48:19 PM by Deeks »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »
Another thing that could have been work on was;

Even if the submission was late from the TTFA and the MoS couldn't get the transaction on time, why didn't he permit the TTFA to borrow the money from a third party and then reimburse them when the timing was better?

I am sure things could have been worked out if the communication was better betwen both parties?

If I know Sheldon Phillips he is definitely not lacking in that department, the others, I can't vouch for.

Anil Roberts is full of it and the people in T&T needs to stand up.

This is the problem right here!
The people in T&T seem to be oblivious and won't stand up against this bullshit from our Sports Minister.

There should be consistent demos outside the Ministry of Sports demanding his resignation or sacking over this but folks seem to be more concerned about when is the next big fete.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:38:57 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Phillips: Sport Ministry has been helpful
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
Phillips: Sport Ministry has been helpful
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips described as "disappointing" the failure of the Trinidad and Tobago Under-15 football team to compete at the ongoing, inaugural CONCACAF Under-15 championships.

The team were unable to travel to Cayman Islands for the tournament as they were unable to book flights at the last minute, which forced them to pull out of the tournament.

Phillips told the Express yesterday that the Ministry of Sport has supported the TTFA on many occasions.

"Not on the budget and still getting support and being able to go to places like Estonia and Romania. Getting five matches in preparation for the Gold Cup. Our under-17 women, our under-20 women, and our senior women going on tour in the spread of a summer," he said.

"Yes, we are very disappointed with what has happened with the boys under-15 team, but overall the Ministry of Sport has been very supportive of us."

It is obvious the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) is not biting the hand that has fed them several times in the past, and continues to feed them.

Only on Thursday, Minister of Sport Anil Roberts described the operations of some National Sporting Organisions (NSOs), including the TTFA, as incompetent. Roberts spoke specifically of the National under-15 football team issue, and presented documents to support his argument.

He specifically accused the TTFA and T&T Hockey Board (TTHB) of submitting very late requests for funding, and then blaming the Ministry for problems encountered.       

“We cannot make (up) for the incompetence of officials in NSOs,” the Minister said at a press conference at his Abercromby Street office on Thursday.

Phillips’ response was diplomatic, rather than confrontation. "In spite of the comment (Roberts) made yesterday, I have to look at the entire picture and be sensible and sometimes philosophical," the son of former national goalkeeper and ex-technical director of T&T football Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips  said.

"The Ministry has been very supportive of us on the vast majority of our tours.

“So, as disappointing as the events surrounding the under-15 tournament are, I think people have to be fair and look at the total picture, and look at it with some perspective."

Phillips admitted that much of the TTFA events for 2013 had not been budgeted for. Phillips could not explain why because it was before his May appointment.

He, however, explained that the under-15 tournament was not planned for since it was a new concept that CONCACAF had come up with.

"The tournament was officially announced in June, and the budget was sent in later on in the month, " Phillips said. "The July 31st submission (which the Minister spoke of) was in regard to our services level package. That was the omnibus package for all of our teams for 2014. The budget specific to the Under-15 tournament would have been sent in later on in June."

Phillips further added that he expected the TTFA's plan to move away from heavy Government funding to bear some fruit by mid-October. He said that there were very promising meetings with several corporate entities, and that some help should be coming to the TTFA when their new budgets are presented later in the year.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:24:36 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTHB president: Anil wrong
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
TTHB president: Anil wrong
By Mark Pouchet (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago Hockey Board (TTHB) president Douglas Camacho said Minister of Sport Anil Roberts has gotten it totally wrong with the sequence of the TTHB’s application for funding for the recently-concluded Pan Am Cup.

The hockey men won their first medal in 46 years when they claimed bronze in the Canada-hosted tournament.

And while the hockey boss admitted that the August 6 correspondence to the Ministry was authentic, the former Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee jefe said that was not the first occasion his organisation had requested funds for the Pan Am Cup.

“We would have submitted our original budget for the 2012-2013 period before the delivery of the national budget last year, and that budget included the Pan American Cup tournament,” Camacho said, adding that the TTHB could provide documents to support his claim.

“So the Minister of Sport has gotten it completely wrong, and it’s absolutely untrue that August 6 was the first time we requested assistance,” he said.

Camacho said after the TTHB presented their 2012-2013 budget last year, they were approached by the FIH to host the World Cup qualifying tournament. The TTHB, he explained, initially had no interest in hosting the FIH tournament, but after consultation with the Ministry of Tourism and Ministry of Sport, the TTHB decided to host that competition in October last year to support both Ministry’s sports tourism drive.

He stated that the TTHB agreed to host that tournament on the condition that it didn’t eat into their allotment for other previously budgeted items.

According to Camacho, when the TTHB followed up about Pan American Cup funding through the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago in May this year, the local hockey organisation was advised that their funding had been exhausted.

Camacho said in June the Minister through his office had called on him to meet, but he (Camacho) was out of the country. He said he had suggested  other officials meet with Roberts in his absence.

No meeting came off, he said and when he returned home, he attempted unsuccessfully to have a meeting with the Minister in early July.

Camacho explained the TTHB was about to cancel the engagement altogether and face FIH sanctions for non-attendance when a member, whose name he did not disclose, advised them to approach the Prime Minister’s office.

They did and were directed to Minister Winston Peters, who acted for Minister Roberts who was on leave at the time. Camacho said Peters advised the TTHB to write Ministry of Sport Permanent Secretary Ashwin Creed, which he did on August 6, and their request for $243,000 was approved and granted.

Arrangements were hustled through to the Canadian embassy for visas for the national players, and Pan American Cup organisers consented to their request for the tournament, which lashed off on August 10, and the schedule had to be adjusted to facilitate the T&T and Uruguay squads, after the latter’s flight had to be grounded when their plane was struck by lightning.

“ So that is the sequence, and that is why I say the Minister got it completely wrong, “ Camacho stated.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:24:07 AM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »
PP gov't having another reshuffle...... hope dey move Anil out !!!! dais de only reshuffle I interested in. One of de worst sports ministers EVER.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
PP gov't having another reshuffle...... hope dey move Anil out !!!! dais de only reshuffle I interested in. One of de worst sports ministers EVER.

I hearing more and more people saying this... and part ah me only laughing.  Everybody was up in arms about Hunt, when in fact Hunt was quietly one of the more engaged and effective MoS in QUITE some time.  Yes the flag was an unnecessary extravagance, but outside of that none of the grievances people had with him seem significant now.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »

Anil is the only minister who never got reshuffled...

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

I hearing more and more people saying this... and part ah me only laughing.  Everybody was up in arms about Hunt, when in fact Hunt was quietly one of the more engaged and effective MoS in QUITE some time.  Yes the flag was an unnecessary extravagance, but outside of that none of the grievances people had with him seem significant now.

D flag was $2m. When I hear the amount of money being spent on firetrucks, the $12m Anil just take for himself and nobody ask about, plus d $175m for $5m dollar properties and not a peep, it hard to imagine the amount of furore that was raised about that flag. Since Jack show them how to theif, $2m is not petty cash that not even worth reporting.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

D flag was $2m. When I hear the amount of money being spent on firetrucks, the $12m Anil just take for himself and nobody ask about, plus d $175m for $5m dollar properties and not a peep, it hard to imagine the amount of furore that was raised about that flag. Since Jack show them how to theif, $2m is not petty cash that not even worth reporting.
Then add in $20 million for vehicle rent for LifeSport and $180k for a funeral. (I'm presuming that the chap who died notified Anil of the date of his forthcoming death at least 3 months in advance and submitted a budget, as Anil said that unless a budget is submitted early, there is no money available)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Hunt earned my everlasting respect when he refused to back down to Jack, started asking tough questions of the TTFF with regards to accounting for $$, insisted that they pay rent for use of the Hasely Crawford stadium... and finally when he kick Fuentes stooge ass out the press conference.  Each of these in turn was cause for opprobrium in certain quarters but he stood his ground.  Jack was so shook that he even invoke the race card and all, complaining how no money being spent on sports for "black" people.  Well money being spent now, ent?  ::)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
the $12m Anil just take for himself and nobody ask about

Now ah been trying to tune out these pppl eh for the sake of mih sanity so that might be why this one escaped me.....uuuuummmmm......

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAATTTTT?? ?? !!!!

Eh??  Whatcha talking about Willis??  ???
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
Hunt earned my everlasting respect when he refused to back down to Jack, started asking tough questions of the TTFF with regards to accounting for $$, insisted that they pay rent for use of the Hasely Crawford stadium... and finally when he kick Fuentes stooge ass out the press conference.  Each of these in turn was cause for opprobrium in certain quarters but he stood his ground.  Jack was so shook that he even invoke the race card and all, complaining how no money being spent on sports for "black" people.  Well money being spent now, ent?  ::)

Yeah, didn't Jack complain about Hunt spending money on power boat racing or yachting or suchlike and ignoring working class sports?
Of course, under Anil, every little boy in Laventille has access to olympic sized swimming pools and trips to USA for training camps.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »
Yeah, didn't Jack complain about Hunt spending money on power boat racing or yachting or suchlike and ignoring working class sports?
Of course, under Anil, every little boy in Laventille has access to olympic sized swimming pools and trips to USA for training camps.

Pretty much.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
the $12m Anil just take for himself and nobody ask about

Now ah been trying to tune out these pppl eh for the sake of mih sanity so that might be why this one escaped me.....uuuuummmmm......

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAATTTTT?? ?? !!!!

Eh??  Whatcha talking about Willis??  ???

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>