May 02, 2024, 07:37:22 AM

Author Topic: How can the federation be more self sufficient?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
How can the federation be more self sufficient?
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Apparently, they hire people who do not have de ability to help run things in a organise way.

They need some advise.

How can a federation be DEAD broke?

I hear they spending thousands on a new website but they cant afford to send a team to right Cayman Island. What is de purpose of a new website when the SWO covers everything and more? and even they ole website they have still decent too in some ways. Who paying to maintain that?

It is embarrassing that a federation is dead broke and I know Jack stole all the money but that is over with now, the new federation has been here a while now to at least have something.

When do they get FIFA grants, isn't this every year?

They should have access to special government loans where the interest rate is small.

If they start selling merchandise too that would help out. soccer.com is not a good idea to sell T&T shirt if they looking for a big turnover. They building a big website for news which we have here and they cant just add an extra section to sell stuff and make a lil extra.

They need better marketing people.

We have 2 managers, why?

What was de details of de JOMA deal? and how Joe Public wearing anything de national team does wear?

Didn't the TTFA get money from FIFA for their participation in the 2013 Gold Cup ?

So the TTFA took all the money they all of a sudden found de other day and pay the 06 Warriors?

Isn't Saudi paying the TTFA for them upcoming friendly games, what, is it just enough for the team and nothing more?

Just asking allyuh?

Tim Kee what better accountability and they holding back de P's and Q's and only feeding de public unsolved stories.

Caribbean Airlines is we NATIONAL carries and we have to fly on COPA.

Me eh went no big school, but I eh f00cking chupid neither.

Everything in de dark does eventually come out.

Another Jack Warner kingdom they building with dark secrets and scamming going on.

So they pay Beenhakker half a million dollars for 2 weeks wok and a plan for the pro league who not even on de same page as the TTFA, who does not even operate under de TTFA law.

So them living on pay check to pay check then.

Easy come, easy go.

If we cant do it off the field, then how can we do it on the field ?

No wonder our players like the way they do.

All these things affect players, you think man want to play hard and get injured while playing for T&T and them eh know where de next dollar coming from or who go pay they medical bill.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:59:30 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How can the federation be more self sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
Glad you guys starting to see for yourself Jack Warner was not the problem.

All these deficiencies still exist even under a few new special guys. Lincoln couldn't do it himself and sent his son to redeem his name sake.

I am sure those managers, Secretaries and press officer got theirs. And Shaun Fuentes is the official writer for the TTFA and only filming videos and writing stuff that has been on the internet days old. I saw on the Guardian today that he is still writing about Stern John and W Connection just played Houston and then copy and paste Glen story. Getting 2 salary for nothing.

I hope Tim Kee vote green this coming election. He assured me, he will.

And for your information Sam, Joe Public had Joma a while now. Stop spreading rumours, I could close down this place with one phone call.

Jack Warner will be PM one day and will blemish all these vagabonds and people who getting paid for nothing.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:15:08 AM by Jack Horner »
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
you asking answers

they have no money and never will.

No accountability and no professionalism

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Glad you guys starting to see for yourself Jack Warner was not the problem.

All these deficiencies still exist even under a few new special guys. Lincoln couldn't do it himself and sent his son to redeem his name sake.

I am sure those managers, Secretaries and press officer got theirs. And Shaun Fuentes is the official writer for the TTFA and only filming videos and writing stuff that has been on the internet days old. I saw on the Guardian today that he is still writing about Stern John and W Connection just played Houston and then copy and paste Glen story. Getting 2 salary for nothing.

I hope Tim Kee vote green this coming election. He assured me, he will.

And for your information Sam, Joe Public had Joma a while now. Stop spreading rumours, I could close down this place with one phone call.

Jack Warner will be PM one day and will blemish all these vagabonds and people who getting paid for nothing.

Wake up boss.

:rotfl:

That will never happen.

As for Sam, boy, we can only pray the TTFA get things right for once.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:24 AM »
Apparently, they hire people who do not have de ability to help run things in a organise way.

They need some advise.

I hear they spending thousands on a new website but they cant afford to send a team to right Cayman Island. What is de purpose of a new website when the SWO covers everything and more? and even they ole website they have still decent too in some ways. Who paying to maintain that?

It is embarrassing that a federation is dead broke and I know Jack stole all the money but that is over with now, the new federation has been here a while now to at least have something.

They should have access to special government loans where the interest rate is small.

If they start selling merchandise too that would help out. soccer.com is not a good idea to sell T&T shirt if they looking for a big turnover. They building a big website for news which we have here and they cant just add an extra section to sell stuff and make a lil extra.

We have 2 managers, why?

What was de details of de JOMA deal? and how Joe Public wearing anything de national team does wear?

Didn't the TTFA get money from FIFA for their participation in the 2013 Gold Cup ?

So the TTFA took all the money they all of a sudden found de other day and pay the 06 Warriors?

Isn't Saudi paying the TTFA for them upcoming friendly games, what, is it just enough for the team and nothing more?

Just asking allyuh?

Tim Kee what better accountability and they holding back de P's and Q's and only feeding de public unsolved stories.

Another Jack Warner kingdom they building with dark secrets and scamming going on.

So they pay Beenhakker half a million dollars for 2 weeks wok and a plan for the pro league who not even on de same page as the TTFA, who does not even operate under de TTFA law.

Easy come, easy go.

All these things affect players, you think man want to play hard and get injured while playing for T&T and them eh know where de next dollar coming from or who go pay they medical bill.

Good questions Sam.

Just curious. How much is Sheldon Phillips making and who is paying him?

And they prefer take a small commission from soccer.com when they could have just given the SWO a reasonable smaller fee to sale the shirts and I am sure SWO would have done a better job.

Sheldon, you were a member here to, remember that. Do not let Tim Kee turn your head.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
vikey vikey sponsorship is a recipe for failure. the government is essentially subsidizing poor vision and bad ideas.

what is the incentive to bring in better ideas if you are being rewarded for the bad?

hard as it may be, government has to stop giving the ttfa and the pro-league money for this game to have even a remote chance of truly progressing.

announce a phasing out of funding over 5 years. if a business can't stay alive after that they don't deserve more free money
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »

They need some advise.

We have 2 managers, why?

Just asking allyuh?

Easy come, easy go.

Good questions Sam.

Just curious. How much is Sheldon Phillips making and who is paying him?

And they prefer take a small commission from soccer.com when they could have just given the SWO a reasonable smaller fee to sale the shirts and I am sure SWO would have done a better job.

Sheldon, you were a member here to, remember that. Do not let Tim Kee turn your head.

The Mods on here already have dey hands full managing the site, now you suggesting that they take on additional task by selling national team uniforms...
While yuh possibly trying to be patriotic with yuh idea, soccer.com has more worldwide visibility than SWO and selling team uniforms is dey main business model.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
vikey vikey sponsorship is a recipe for failure. the government is essentially subsidizing poor vision and bad ideas.

what is the incentive to bring in better ideas if you are being rewarded for the bad?

hard as it may be, government has to stop giving the ttfa and the pro-league money for this game to have even a remote chance of truly progressing.

announce a phasing out of funding over 5 years. if a business can't stay alive after that they don't deserve more free money

I don't think that your idea would work in this instance because of the mentality of the public. The pro-league is still in its infancy stages as compared to more established leagues worldwide.
We have to come to the realization that no matter how much marketing or fan appreciation that is being done, people just don't support football. Without government subsidies or assistances both the pro-league and national teams will fold.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
Men on this forum real emotional boy..jah  :worried:

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »

I don't think that your idea would work in this instance because of the mentality of the public. The pro-league is still in its infancy stages as compared to more established leagues worldwide.
We have to come to the realization that no matter how much marketing or fan appreciation that is being done, people just don't support football. Without government subsidies or assistances both the pro-league and national teams will fold.

The pro-league is still in its infancy stages as compared to more established leagues worldwide.

the pro-league is not in its infancy stages. a professional league has been existence in Trinidad in one form or another for at least 10 years. and some have been far more successful than the present incarnation. 

no matter how much marketing or fan appreciation that is being done, people just don't support football

so in your opinion the pro-league has executed and exhausted its best marketing and promotional efforts? I respectfully disagree. and a poor businessman should place fault on himself, not blame his clients for his own failure. if the pro-league cannot even adapt after years of subsidy then they should look at the product on the field, not just blame the public.

to be fair its not just the pro-league or the ttfa that are slacking. the whole system is a mess. the lack of communication, and mistrust between the the league, ttfa, MoS, and municipal government as it relates to funding, stadium upkeep, use of venues, accountability, transparency  etc. they are all beholden to their own agenda and none of them are on the same page.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
I said this from the beginning when the new ole boys assumed power...

T&T football is better in ex pats hands, look at the difference Hart make in a matter of weeks with the team, the TTFA should all be replaced with ex pats who know what they are doing

Mind you, not just any ex pat but the most capable ones because they have some waste of time ones abroad and would do no better than the local based

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »

The pro-league is still in its infancy stages as compared to more established leagues worldwide.

the pro-league is not in its infancy stages. a professional league has been existence in Trinidad in one form or another for at least 10 years. and some have been far more successful than the present incarnation. 

no matter how much marketing or fan appreciation that is being done, people just don't support football

so in your opinion the pro-league has executed and exhausted its best marketing and promotional efforts? I respectfully disagree. and a poor businessman should place fault on himself, not blame his clients for his own failure. if the pro-league cannot even adapt after years of subsidy then they should look at the product on the field, not just blame the public.

to be fair its not just the pro-league or the ttfa that are slacking. the whole system is a mess. the lack of communication, and mistrust between the the league, ttfa, MoS, and municipal government as it relates to funding, stadium upkeep, use of venues, accountability, transparency  etc. they are all beholden to their own agenda and none of them are on the same page.

ZANDOLIE --- WELL SAID!   I also 'shiver' when I hear people use the excuse that 'marketing don't work because people in T&T don't support football'.  That is one of the worst excuses and shows lack of business expertise, vision, and just plain old creative thinking. 

:applause: :applause: :applause:

The TTFA and by extension the T&T Pro League lack the business acumen and marketing vision to institute and execute a creative campaign.  It should be the sole goal of every managing member of the TTFF and the owners and/or presidents of the various pro-league clubs, to fill the seats of every venue in which there's a game...EVEN if that means going out on the street with a load-speaker before each game and give away free tickets.  They have to do what it takes to fill those venues and get people to have an emotional attachment to their teams. 

If a marketing plan does not seek to create or invent out of thin air some emotional attachment to a team, then that plan will fail...and this is the evident in the shamefully empty seats at these games.  Generally the club presidents have done an abysmal job of marketing their respective teams to conjure-up interest --- the TTFF of course has done a dismal job also of conjuring up interest in local football in general. It's a shame.

To tell you the truth, I just get the feeling that they're stuck in the year 1950 with their marketing plan. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:09:34 PM by OutsideMan »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
Just gonna throw a few thoughts in the mix here......

I wasn't here when the Pro League began, but I imagine the dream of professional football in T&T was made a possibility when several clubs realised that the stadiums could be used to provide decent surfaces and supporter facilities. I've seen the early photos of 2,000 people at Ojoe Rd watching North East and there certainly was local interest.
However, the demand for FIFA standard surfaces and floodlights, coupled with lack of support from govt/local corporations to provide local stadiums and the owners lack of foresight in investing, or attracting investment, from other businesses led to the move to stadiums.

Now, I imagine this appeared like a huge step forward. "We get 2,000 at a savannah, so imagine them packed into a stadium? We can run concessions, sell merchandise etc"

But it didn't work.

Then we had a lack of support from TTFF (read Jack). Then the bonus dispute and the stories about Jack emerged even more. Corporate T&T took a big step back from football. As this happened, cricket suddenly became more sexy and more attractive to sponsors.

I would imagine that during the first 10 years, the owners really didn't understand that they needed to adopt an all for one, one for all approach. But having Jack in the middle of this as an owner with his own exclusive stadium and TTFF supplied uniforms didn't really help. He made great strides for Joe Public but didn't really help the league.

Regarding the govt input......the English Premier League announced a couple of weeks ago that the UK govt just committed £160 million to football community projects such as Kickz. This doesn't go into the running of clubs, but it helps to maintain a clubs brand and presence in the community. The UK govt also have an all party parliamentary committee which has a budget and looks into ways of improving the game and utilising it for the benefit of the nation. You may recall the 06 bonus dispute being mentioned in the UK parliament? That was this committee.  Who can speak for football in the T&T parliament? There is govt recognition that a strong network of local professional football assists the community in many areas including crime reduction, employment, education, CSR etc

There are now several UK football clubs who's home stadiums are owned by the councils. This is not charity, but a well thought out income generating facility that also serves the local community. Because of the sleaze here, public-private partnerships aren't trusted and an honest businessman has to immerse himself in corruption, bribes and dodgy tenders to work with govt. (Don't get me wrong, there are similar stories in the UK, but on a far lower level).

The T&T govt should be taking football more seriously. At the moment, I'd guess 3-400 people are employed in the Pro League. But salaries are often lower than they should be. By investing in job creating schemes in football, the govt would be assisting in the economy. However, if govt money is used, the majority should be reaching T&T citizens. Foreigners, such as myself and Fenwick should be encouraged to join clubs, but they should be justified through certain criteria (this is currently done through the work permit system, but how many players have been justified that way?). In return for govt assistance, clubs should have to justify the funding by showing how they improve the community. Projects like the U.K.'s Kickz and Let's Keep Racism Out Of Football would employ even more people in football, build community support and improve attendances. Clubs don't have to do it, but if they don't they lose funding.

Corporate T&T should receive very real benefits for investing in football. I've never known a company yet who claim the tax relief offered. When I first started here, I cleverly (I thought) showed businesses how the 150% tax relief would save them money compared with other promotional spending. All I got was blank faces!!  Sponsors are happy to give a set of uniforms, but other than direcTV, I don't see any real input from sponsors. They give money so clubs stop bothering them. If I was a sponsor, I would be very upset that money earned from T&T citizens was being spent on teams that were fielding less than 50% nationals. How can that be investing in the community? I have never seen a TV ad featuring local footballers. So why invest in football if you don't use it to promote?

Finally, Central F.C. last year gave out hundreds of tickets to school kids, businesses etc. We've tried a mic man. We've actually taken our first team to play in Crown Trace, Chrissy Trace, Edinburgh 500 etc. But we don't expect a huge influx over night. We are building. We have a business plan. Already, things are improving. Our fear is that in another 10 years, Central F.C. will have outgrown the other ProLeague clubs if they don't move forward too.

I am pleased to see that both W.Connection and Caledonia are trying new ideas to promote their CCL games. It's not much, but it's a step in the right direction. 

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
Just gonna throw a few thoughts in the mix here......

I wasn't here when the Pro League began, but I imagine the dream of professional football in T&T was made a possibility when several clubs realised that the stadiums could be used to provide decent surfaces and supporter facilities. I've seen the early photos of 2,000 people at Ojoe Rd watching North East and there certainly was local interest.
However, the demand for FIFA standard surfaces and floodlights, coupled with lack of support from govt/local corporations to provide local stadiums and the owners lack of foresight in investing, or attracting investment, from other businesses led to the move to stadiums.

Now, I imagine this appeared like a huge step forward. "We get 2,000 at a savannah, so imagine them packed into a stadium? We can run concessions, sell merchandise etc"

But it didn't work.

Then we had a lack of support from TTFF (read Jack). Then the bonus dispute and the stories about Jack emerged even more. Corporate T&T took a big step back from football. As this happened, cricket suddenly became more sexy and more attractive to sponsors.

I would imagine that during the first 10 years, the owners really didn't understand that they needed to adopt an all for one, one for all approach. But having Jack in the middle of this as an owner with his own exclusive stadium and TTFF supplied uniforms didn't really help. He made great strides for Joe Public but didn't really help the league.

Regarding the govt input......the English Premier League announced a couple of weeks ago that the UK govt just committed £160 million to football community projects such as Kickz. This doesn't go into the running of clubs, but it helps to maintain a clubs brand and presence in the community. The UK govt also have an all party parliamentary committee which has a budget and looks into ways of improving the game and utilising it for the benefit of the nation. You may recall the 06 bonus dispute being mentioned in the UK parliament? That was this committee.  Who can speak for football in the T&T parliament? There is govt recognition that a strong network of local professional football assists the community in many areas including crime reduction, employment, education, CSR etc

There are now several UK football clubs who's home stadiums are owned by the councils. This is not charity, but a well thought out income generating facility that also serves the local community. Because of the sleaze here, public-private partnerships aren't trusted and an honest businessman has to immerse himself in corruption, bribes and dodgy tenders to work with govt. (Don't get me wrong, there are similar stories in the UK, but on a far lower level).

The T&T govt should be taking football more seriously. At the moment, I'd guess 3-400 people are employed in the Pro League. But salaries are often lower than they should be. By investing in job creating schemes in football, the govt would be assisting in the economy. However, if govt money is used, the majority should be reaching T&T citizens. Foreigners, such as myself and Fenwick should be encouraged to join clubs, but they should be justified through certain criteria (this is currently done through the work permit system, but how many players have been justified that way?). In return for govt assistance, clubs should have to justify the funding by showing how they improve the community. Projects like the U.K.'s Kickz and Let's Keep Racism Out Of Football would employ even more people in football, build community support and improve attendances. Clubs don't have to do it, but if they don't they lose funding.

Corporate T&T should receive very real benefits for investing in football. I've never known a company yet who claim the tax relief offered. When I first started here, I cleverly (I thought) showed businesses how the 150% tax relief would save them money compared with other promotional spending. All I got was blank faces!!  Sponsors are happy to give a set of uniforms, but other than direcTV, I don't see any real input from sponsors. They give money so clubs stop bothering them. If I was a sponsor, I would be very upset that money earned from T&T citizens was being spent on teams that were fielding less than 50% nationals. How can that be investing in the community? I have never seen a TV ad featuring local footballers. So why invest in football if you don't use it to promote?

Finally, Central F.C. last year gave out hundreds of tickets to school kids, businesses etc. We've tried a mic man. We've actually taken our first team to play in Crown Trace, Chrissy Trace, Edinburgh 500 etc. But we don't expect a huge influx over night. We are building. We have a business plan. Already, things are improving. Our fear is that in another 10 years, Central F.C. will have outgrown the other ProLeague clubs if they don't move forward too.

I am pleased to see that both W.Connection and Caledonia are trying new ideas to promote their CCL games. It's not much, but it's a step in the right direction. 

FS --- I hear you.  However, this is where the PFL's own marketing plan should kick into high gear, and keep SELLING the idea to corporate sponsors, the same way Corporations continuously market their own products.  I know you are personally trying hard as you can for your club, and I commend the effort.  But here's the blunt truth, my friend....

Tax breaks and tax deductions are all good and well for the Corporate sponsors, but that alone will not convince them to 'invest' in the PFL clubs.  Outside Corporations will invest in the PFL clubs if there's a captive audience in the stands.  If a PFL club has a dismally low turnout for every game, most corporate sponsors will stay away.  You have to put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: 'Would I advertise my company by investing/sponsoring a PFL club if there is no one in the stands to advertise to?'

This is the question that corporations are asking and answering...and they're answering mostly with a resounding 'NO'.

Bottom-line is, you need to consistently fill the stands first in order to attract corporate sponsorship.  Other than that, the tax-writeoff as a selling point, though a good selling point, is not what ideally a corporation is primarily looking at when it comes to trying to earning money.  As far as they see it, tax writeoffs may decrease expenses somewhat...but it does nothing to increase their market share among their competitors.

Give them something with a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE that they would find worthwhile to sponsor, and then you'll see them knocking on your door for exclusive rights to sponsor your teams.    :)    :beermug:   
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
O.M. this is the chicken and egg problem that we fight with continuously.
 "Outside Corporations will invest in the PFL clubs if there's a captive audience in the stands.  If a PFL club has a dismally low turnout for every game, most corporate sponsors will stay away.  You have to put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: 'Would I advertise my company by investing/sponsoring a PFL club if there is no one in the stands to advertise to?'"

We could bus people to games, give them free tickets, flags, coolers T shirts, whatever. But how do we fund that without sponsors in the first place? There is no spare pot of cash lying around.

In essence, many of us know what needs to be done, but without a sponsor assisting, we can't fund it. Central have a volunteer website man, but he's months behind schedule as he has to prioritise paid jobs (well, we are paying him, but not much!), we have volunteer supporters producing an online magazine, I have to deal with team sponsors, press & media, community projects and a multitude of day to day administrative issues and then go door to door to find new sponsors.

If I had $100,000 per year marketing budget, I could build a great team and I'm sure bring in more punters. Currently, I have $2,000 per month budget to cover all marketing, merchandising, promotion, community projects and supporter costs. And I'm sure that's more than most clubs!!

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
 "Outside Corporations will invest in the PFL clubs if there's a captive audience in the stands.  If a PFL club has a dismally low turnout for every game, most corporate sponsors will stay away.  You have to put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: 'Would I advertise my company by investing/sponsoring a PFL club if there is no one in the stands to advertise to?'"

We could bus people to games, give them free tickets, flags, coolers T shirts, whatever. But how do we fund that without sponsors in the first place? There is no spare pot of cash lying around.

In essence, many of us know what needs to be done, but without a sponsor assisting, we can't fund it. Central have a volunteer website man, but he's months behind schedule as he has to prioritise paid jobs (well, we are paying him, but not much!), we have volunteer supporters producing an online magazine, I have to deal with team sponsors, press & media, community projects and a multitude of day to day administrative issues and then go door to door to find new sponsors.

If I had $100,000 per year marketing budget, I could build a great team and I'm sure bring in more punters. Currently, I have $2,000 per month budget to cover all marketing, merchandising, promotion, community projects and supporter costs. And I'm sure that's more than most clubs!!

FS --- There are other creative inexpensive ways to get seats filled.  Regardless, corporate sponsorship will not really happen until those sponsors have a consistent market in the stands to 'advertise' to.  Yes indeed it's a bit of a Catch-22, but at the end of the day it's the club's job to fill-up the stands.

A packed house attracts more lucrative corporate sponsorship deals.  An empty house attracts it not.   

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »

FS --- There are other creative inexpensive ways to get seats filled.  Regardless, corporate sponsorship will not really happen until those sponsors have a consistent market in the stands to 'advertise' to.  Yes indeed it's a bit of a Catch-22, but at the end of the day it's the club's job to fill-up the stands.

A packed house attracts more lucrative corporate sponsorship deals.  An empty house attracts it not.   

I agree with you in principal. We get students doing degrees in sports marketing approach us as part of their course. They come with all of the obvious things: top artists performing at games, free tickets etc. When I tell them they can have a completely free hand and their budget is TT$500, they disappear and don't come back! O.M., I'm always open to new ideas, but if you have them, share them please! Coz other than what we currently do, I've got no idea how to improve things on our own!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

a complete and thorough revamp is neccessary from structure right down to personnel. and after so many years of trying its obvious that skeene and co. have no answer. and where i sit they don't seem to be seriously tackling the critical problems such as moving clubs into alignment communities.

this site is ground zero for t&t football, but the pro-league has not even made any serious effort to involve us in any supporting or planning initiative. every year the PL brass makes a big announcement about how things will be different THIS year.

i think skeene is a good man who cares about the game and cares about the future of the game. and he has to face many obstacles to keep the PL operational. but sometimes you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask if there is someone who can accomplish the things you cannot.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

a complete and thorough revamp is neccessary from structure right down to personnel. and after so many years of trying its obvious that skeene and co. have no answer. and where i sit they don't seem to be seriously tackling the critical problems such as moving clubs into alignment communities.

this site is ground zero for t&t football, but the pro-league has not even made any serious effort to involve us in any supporting or planning initiative. every year the PL brass makes a big announcement about how things will be different THIS year.

i think skeene is a good man who cares about the game and cares about the future of the game. and he has to face many obstacles to keep the PL operational. but sometimes you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask if there is someone who can accomplish the things you cannot.

:beermug:

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

I agree with you in principal. We get students doing degrees in sports marketing approach us as part of their course. They come with all of the obvious things: top artists performing at games, free tickets etc. When I tell them they can have a completely free hand and their budget is TT$500, they disappear and don't come back! O.M., I'm always open to new ideas, but if you have them, share them please! Coz other than what we currently do, I've got no idea how to improve things on our own!

FS ---  You should tell those marketing students who approach you, that if they're truly serious about lending their services for class credit, then you guys will give them a percentage-cut of the 'gate' if they can get over 3000 paying customers in attendance.

There's is no magic marketing formula out there, but definitely a lot of various marketing ploys one can use.  Basically you want to create an emotional attachment between your team and the local potential fan-base.  You have to ask yourself...why would a local resident be loyal to my brand?  You have try to find a way to make it a 'pride' thing in the eyes of the locals, where Central FC represents the soul of Couva, California, Cali Bay, Freeport, Claxon Bay, and Chaguanas.  In their eyes, every team that is not Central FC should be seen as the enemy.

Man, you gotta' create hype, even if it's out of absolutely nothing.

One simple idea if I were the president of a local football club with no marketing budget: Before every game, I would find myself one of those hand-held personal loudspeakers, and take the entire team (wearing the team jerseys and holding footballs) to some local street corners, and tell passers-by and drivers how much the other teams who're soon coming to town have dis-respected Couva and Central in general.  I would rile-up the crowd by regaling them with story after story of the bad things those other teams said about Couva, and I would even name the players on those teams who said that Couva is a good-for-nothing piece of dirt, a DISGRACEFUL BLEMISH, on the map of T&T.

I would build hype.  I would lie.

All of this can be done for the price of a few doubles and some bottled water while you and the team are out there in the hot-sun, sinning with the silver tongues on a hand-held megaphone.  ;D

Hype is always free.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »

In North America there are business and sports management students and graduates who would give their right arm for just such an opportunity, especially if it mean coming to the caribbean. If you can spare the time to set up a 2-6 month internship or community-involved initiative with a college/university it may be of benefit to you.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »

.... There are other creative inexpensive ways to get seats filled.  Regardless, corporate sponsorship will not really happen until those sponsors have a consistent market in the stands to 'advertise' to.  Yes indeed it's a bit of a Catch-22, but at the end of the day it's the club's job to fill-up the stands.

Several good points by posters on this thread, but the above comments resonate well. So how do we create a packed house or perception of a packed house as once yuh get this, the monied interests cyah resist dabbling then taking the plunge. So leh we take a random shot at dis ...

1. What do Trinis/Trinbagonians, who would be candidates to attend these games, SEEM to like?
2.  Don't mean to be condescending but one could mention some very simple not-so-costly things that we easily overlook:
3. Need a good announcer who knows the personalities and can give little bits of commentaries. Our football games, when I went, were like silent movies and that needs to change. Team line-ups need to be properly announced with team jersey numbers and with team line-ups in full view of the stands just as if they were national teams waiting for their respective anthems. This is more important for the women who are often there to follow their men who inturn might know the players better. No sexism intended. Build interest by making fans acquainted. Conquer boredom!
4. Door prizes. What do attendees crave? Depending on the demographic/age: I-phones, blackberries, Flat screen TVs, computers, discounts, free jerseys. Find some way to say that when gate attendance passes 2000, there wil be giveaways based on ticket stubs. Small ting for some of the medium-sized sponsors.
5. Free admission for children under age X. Fill up de stands man. But they must be brought by a paying parent / adult. If that fails, well free for children. Period. Try something. Try a ting.
6. Network with other sport organizations, artistic groups themselves also tusty for publicity, using the football event as a springboard.
7. Have some booths for all the football teams, cycling groups, volunteer organizations, focusing on selling their stuff, jerseys, promoting their organizations, and getting new people registered.
8. Media. media media!!! Camera work!!!! Capture the covered stand action and make sure that sports personalities are captured in the midst of the frenzy. As a poster said, create "hype" man and exaggerate the effect with good camera angles.
9. Get volunteer camera people to offer shots for marketing purposes.
10. Dis list could go on and on ....
11. Remember the girls coming for the boys and boys coming for the girls, beers, food and football etc.
12. Target the community leaders. Free tickets once they prove to represent. Big up past football stars and mention their name on the microphone.
13. Make parking safe for al those driving their bling wheels and rims.
14. Get some chartered maxis for those who doh have transport
15. Free tickets for maybe 3 nutsmen to compete for business
16. Put good billboards for advertizers to use.
17. Let Touches get a paid syndicated column
18. Let Football Supporter, Patriot, Brown Sugar get a locum announcer after-work job
19. C'mon man utilize the talents on socawarriors.net some of whom ready to help .. for free! Oh crimes man!
20. Get a cheap magazine (like a community / church newspaper) and get small slots advertised cheaply. Let people have something, even if just 4 pages to carry home. The small advertiser wants the magazine, the bigger advertiser wants the billboard. When the magazine succeeds it can become more attractive and glossy.
21. Carry some stories in the magazine. Syndicated interviews that Flex easily does. C'mon man! Stories we does be reading every week right here on Winchester in Finland, Guerra in Finland, Bateau in Belgium, Power in Thailand, Glen in Inda, Mitchell with Vancouver Whitecaps. Let the fans smell success and let the youths read in awe that these very games produced heroes who do make it big. Let Sancho, Kelvin Jack, Rougier, Sam, Ince, Leonson Lewis, Clint Marcelle, Marvin Andrews, Angus Eve write articles that are samples of their fascinating biographies. C'mon Football Supporter get yuh act together and try some of this!!!
22. Free entry for major stars of yesterday/yesteryear. What criteria. Well let's start with anybody who is a former national team player. From Jughead to Dwarika. Chubby to Rougier, Whitley to Hardest. You will have a massive influx of attendance and the flock that looks up to dem on whichever block they hang out on.
23. Let Big Mag perform on a big double header late in the season or a Cup match
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:04:30 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
Trinis like lime and party, every stadium just need to have a top class bar

People not coming to watch football but they will come to vibes and have a lil drink

Just look at arripita ave

From nothing to bustling night life in 5 years

Liming and drinking

Sell that instead of football

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

People not coming to watch football but they will come to vibes and have a lil drink

Liming and drinking

I like a beer while I'm watching a game and it vexed me when they brought in the law in the UK where you cannot consume alcohol within sight of the pitch.

But shouldn't we be trying to offer our kids an alternative to alcohol infused enjoyment?  Lime if you want....even take a cooler to a game, but that should be secondary to watching the match. And in stadiums you have to make sure the driver doesn't drink.
Why can't people enjoy a game and then get mashed up later?

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »

Liming and drinking

I like a beer while I'm watching a game and it vexed me when they brought in the law in the UK where you cannot consume alcohol within sight of the pitch.

But shouldn't we be trying to offer our kids an alternative to alcohol infused enjoyment?  Lime if you want....even take a cooler to a game, but that should be secondary to watching the match. And in stadiums you have to make sure the driver doesn't drink.

FS --- I hope you don't give that speech to any potential corporate sponsor who happens to be Carib, Stag, Angostura, or any other alcohol beverage producer.  Not really a good selling point if you want those 'alcohol' corporate dollars sponsoring the team and prominently displaying their products during your games.   :beermug:     ;D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »

Liming and drinking

FS --- I hope you don't give that speech to any potential corporate sponsor who happens to be Carib, Stag, Angostura, or any other alcohol beverage producer.  Not really a good selling point if you want those 'alcohol' corporate dollars sponsoring the team and prominently displaying their products during your games.   :beermug:     ;D
Well, plenty of big name beer company's sponsor UK football, but they still encourage responsible drinking and accept that their marketing is aimed at football supporters who drink in pubs rather than in stadiums.
As I said, clearly, I am not opposed to people having a beer at the game, but I really don't think football should market itself to compete with parties. Otherwise you will get the Trini Posse culture where people just go to lime and don't watch the game. Yes, it rakes in money, but is that really how we want to our football to become?

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »

Liming and drinking

Well, plenty of big name beer company's sponsor UK football, but they still encourage responsible drinking and accept that their marketing is aimed at football supporters who drink in pubs rather than in stadiums.
As I said, clearly, I am not opposed to people having a beer at the game, but I really don't think football should market itself to compete with parties. Otherwise you will get the Trini Posse culture where people just go to lime and don't watch the game. Yes, it rakes in money, but is that really how we want to our football to become?

Well...yeah.  'Football' isn't just a sport...it's entertainment and a social gathering.  Some will drink, and some will not.  People go to watch games, but they also go for the comradery with their fellow supporters.

Sports is basically a social network for the fans, man.  :)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 06:59:50 AM »
Get ride of ALL the people that worked under Jack Warner.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »
 :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »
Here is an example of a Central FC Matchday Programme that Football Supporter wanted me to post in this thread.CLICK HERE to view/download
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>