March 28, 2024, 02:37:19 PM

Author Topic: 2018 World Cup Thread  (Read 144373 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
This GFF/SVG thing presents a lesson regarding compliance with the rules, but it also presents insight into how FIFA's wording has steered clear of stimulating controversy.

Both sides have good arguments. SVGF is saying that the St Vincent citizenship stamp on a British passport grants citizenship.. While GFF is arguing that the player must have a passport as per Fifa rules. GFF took it to the next level.. So anything can happen now.

Fifa will put things in place to avoid this from happening  in the future.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bradley Wright-Phillips not interested in representing Grenada
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/12/bradley-wright-phillips-not-interested-representing-grenada-i-just-want-focu

Bradley Wright-Phillips not interested in representing Grenada: "I just want to focus on the Red Bulls"

HANOVER, N.J. – At 30 years of age, Bradley Wright-Phillips appears to be putting an end to his senior international career before it even has a chance to start.

The Red Bulls’ English striker is one of the most lethal goal scorers in MLS, with an MLS-record-tying 27 goals in 2014. And so it’s no wonder that there’s a national team out there attempting to woo him into the international scene.

Although the English national team has had its struggles identifying a regular goal scorer outside of Wayne Rooney, the Three Lions are not the ones calling. Instead, thanks to his mother’s roots, the tiny Caribbean nation of Grenada is the nation inquiring about his services. After ousting Puerto Rico in Round 2 of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, the Spice Boys are set for a two-leg match-up against Haiti in Round 3 on Sept. 4 and Sept. 8.

With a population of just over 100,000, the Grenadian national team frequently enlists players born outside of the country, but who may have ancestry tracing back to Grenada. But Wright-Phillips does not appear to be interested in taking the plunge.

“I’m not too sure on international football,” Wright-Phillips told MLSsoccer.com. “I like to just play club football at the moment and I know I’m not getting any younger.”

Although his brother and Red Bulls teammate, Shaun, has enjoyed a successful career with the English national team highlighted by his selection to the 2010 World Cup squad, younger brother Bradley is wary of the obstacles that international call-ups present.

“I don’t know if I want to travel to somewhere else to play a game and come back,” Wright-Phillips admitted. “Over here [in MLS], with the way the league is with games through the summer, you would miss a lot of important games so I don’t know if I really want to do that.”

Aside from Grenada, Wright-Phillips would also be eligible to represent Jamaica at the senior level due to his father’s ancestral connection to the country, as well as Trinidad and Tobago through similar family connections. But at this stage in his career, the yearning for international soccer has admittedly faded.

“When I was younger it used to interest me when I was playing for the England U-20s,” Wright-Phillips said. “Now I just want to focus on playing for the Red Bulls.”
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Bradley Wright-Phillips not interested in representing Grenada
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »
Ah think that was Kenwyne real partner in the Southampton days. Tell him send a text.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Bradley Wright-Phillips not interested in representing Grenada
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Ah think that was Kenwyne real partner in the Southampton days. Tell him send a text.

Fuh what? yuh want Contro to get mad ah wha?  Da fella seem like he want to humble heself and join we? :rotfl:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
Nah, mad man prefer Hart and the fed to get on their knees and beg him to play for us...   :D delusional yes...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
What kinda fool prefers to play no international ball when given the chance?
He gonna regret that later in life.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Costa Rica Coach Quits After Fight
By The Associated Press

Paulo Wanchope resigned as the coach of Costa Rica’s national team a day after he was involved in a fistfight at a match in Panama City.

Wanchope was an observer at Tuesday night’s game between the under-23 teams of Costa Rica and Panama. A scuffle broke out, and video of the incident shows Wanchope angrily opening a gate to the field, shoving a youth standing behind it and apparently receiving a shove from a man standing beside the gate. Wanchope then turns and punches the man, who kicks and hits him before the police intervene.

Wanchope, who took over Costa Rica’s team last year after a career as one of Central America’s most famous forwards, had approached the field several times to shout at officials that the match was fixed, said Ramon Cardoze, vice president of the Panama Soccer Federation.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/k-8qesS852U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/k-8qesS852U</a>
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:32:23 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »
I watch st Vincent played  sum rell hard tackle dey bussing and dem eh have no sense at all. They leading  by big margin and boom kicking the ball upfront.. rushing and taking free kick and throw They good for about 3 or 4. Now everybody thinking we will face Guatemala I dnt believe so , I saw the entire game of Guatemala vs Bermuda and they scrape thru with a 1-0 against Bermuda. Antigua is a  decent team could gave  Guatemala whole heap ah pressure with sum tall lanky players upfront. A&B Guatemala clash will be something to watch..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »

Could be for a number of reasons - maybe it disrupts his family life, maybe the long flights leave him out of fitness and unable to do his job effectively, maybe he doesn't like people at teh FA or doesn't trust him to pay him. Personally share the same opinion as you, but I know there are good reasons when players decide not to.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »

Could be for a number of reasons - maybe it disrupts his family life, maybe the long flights leave him out of fitness and unable to do his job effectively, maybe he doesn't like people at teh FA or doesn't trust him to pay him. Personally share the same opinion as you, but I know there are good reasons when players decide not to.

I put it down to receiving poor advice.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to play for T&T with the state T&T football is in?

Seriously.

A player had to pay the team hotel bill out of his own pocket because the hotel threaten to seize all their belongings as the bill wasn't paid

Staff have to buy team meals (for 30 people) and put it on their personal credit card

Team members kicked off of a charter flight on the way to an international game to accommodate "friends" of the Federation President. 

All that and much much more.  But allyuh saying people getting bad advice or delusional?

As much as I love T&T, why would anybody walk into such a situation?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to play for T&T with the state T&T football is in?

Seriously.

A player had to pay the team hotel bill out of his own pocket because the hotel threaten to seize all their belongings as the bill wasn't paid

Staff have to buy team meals (for 30 people) and put it on their personal credit card

Team members kicked off of a charter flight on the way to an international game to accommodate "friends" of the Federation President. 

All that and much much more.  But allyuh saying people getting bad advice or delusional?

As much as I love T&T, why would anybody walk into such a situation?

Very sad. Very sad.
One would have to be themselves delusional to be a defender of that kinda status quo.
Continue the pressure ... and pray for relief from this madness.
Anything the socawarriors achieve is IN SPITE OF this madness.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
Puerto Rico beat Grenada 1-0 at the Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium with 4,500 spectators in attendance (among them Carmelo Anthony who is the owner of Puerto Rico FC, recently announced as a 2016 participant in the NASL).

Carmelo Anthony has hired Adrian Whitbread to coach Puerto Rico FC.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/65335/nasls-puerto-rico-fc-hires-whitbread-as-coach.html

P.S. seems like a coach that would have been on Central's profile list.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:59:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »
Guatemala just called a squad into camp starting today through September 8 ... as they look to face Antigua & Barbuda. Details here.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »

El Salvador as they ramp up for Curacao.

Photo of Hugo Pérez, El Salvador's NT assistant coach, arriving in El Salvador on Tuesday this week to assume his duties. Pérez is Salvadoran by birth, but played for the US MNT for roughly a decade.

Pérez had hoped to become the NT coach following El Salvador's not so stellar performance at the Gold Cup. However, the job has gone to former Dallas Burn player, Jorge Humberto "El Zarco" Rodríguez, who replaced the Spaniard, Albert Roca following the Gold Cup.

Rodríguez is Salvadoran. He manages the club, Isidro Metapán, and just as with Mexico's appointment of Feretti, Rodríguez will serve in an interim capacity.

(The club name,  Isidro Metapán, may sound familiar because it's where Jamaica's Romeo Parkes plays ... and because Parkes, a left mid who has had success at IM, was recently denied entry into Costa Rica upon landing with the team for the opening leg of CONCACAF Champions League play versus Herediano. Frankly, that exclusion still seems fishy).

Anyhow, El Salvador is in training. They trained at 11 TT time this morning and will have a session at 6:00pm TT time this evening. Same schedule tomorrow and a 10:00am session on Sunday.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:26:57 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
Honduras play Venezuela and Ecuador during the upcoming break. Five new players have been called up (two forwards, two defenders, and a midfielder).

Don't be surprised if Honduras play South Africa in a subsequent friendly.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
Seven NASL players in World Cup Qualifying
Mike Woitalla, Soccer America

Seven NASL players have joined their national teams for World Cup qualifiers and two are off to compete in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying.

Five of the players will be involved in the two-leg, third-round Concacaf playoffs Sept. 4 and 8 to earn passage in the fourth-round group stage*.

Jacksonville Armada’s Shawn Nicklaw joins Guam for its Asian qualifiers against Iran in Tehran and Oman in Harmon, Guam. Nicklaw played in wins over Turkmenistan (1-0) and India (2-1) that put Guam in first-place of Group D.

Sainey Nyassi and Futty Danso join Gambia for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Cameroon.

2018 World Cup Qualifiers, NASL Callups
Canada (vs. Belize): Julian de Guzman (Ottawa Fury FC).
El Salvador (vs. Curaçao): Richie Menjivar (Tampa Bay Rowdies), Andrés Flores (New York Cosmos)
Haiti (vs. Grenada): Pascal Millien (Jacksonville Armada FC), Steward Ceus (Atlanta Silverbacks)
Jamaica (vs. Nicaragua): Lance Laing (FC Edmonton)
Guam (vs. Iran & Oman): Shawn Nicklaw (Jacksonville Armada FC).

2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers, NASL Callups
Gambia (vs. Cameroon): Sainey Nyassi (FC Edmonton), Futty Danso (Carolina RailHawks).

* The USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad & Tobago automatically qualified for the fourth-round. The top two teams from each of the three fourth-round groups advance to the final round, the Hexagonal, from which the top three qualify for the 2018 World Cup and the fourth-place team earns a playoff against Africa's fifth-place team.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:18:20 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
Again, the question arises: does Bentick have a path to national selection via the NASL? What would he bring that yields more value than his direct competitor(s) on the squad.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:31:28 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 04, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »
St. Vincent and Grenadines 2 - 0 Aruba. Final score.

Haiti 3-1 Grenada. Final.

Honduras is up 2-0 on Venezuela with about 10+ left.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »
Honduras 3-0 Venezuela. Final score. Friendly.

In WC qualifying, with 19 minutes played, El Salvador lead Curacao 1-0.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
Is the surface in Curacao grass?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »

Supposed to be grass.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »

Supposed to be grass.

I doubt... That looked like artificial turf
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2015, 07:17:23 PM »
Jamaica down.

Jamaica 0-2 Nicaragua
Fuh realllll

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »
Jamaica down.

Jamaica 0-2 Nicaragua
Fuh realllll

In 10 mins at that

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
Canada 3-0 Belize. FT.
Curacao 0-1 El Salvador. FT.
Antigua & Barbuda 1-0 Guatemala. FT.
Jamaica 0-2 Nicaragua @ the half

Friendly: Panama 0-0 Uruguay @ 45'+1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:22:03 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
Jamaica 0-3 Nicaragua 68'
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:31:09 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Jamaica 0-3 Nicaragua 56'

Wow... I knew Nicaragua was going to give them problems. Don't think the Reggae Boyz will score 4 in Managua. Looks like Jamaica's wcq is about to an end.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »

Wow... I knew Nicaragua was going to give them problems. Don't think the Reggae Boyz will score 4 in Managua. Looks like Jamaica's wcq is about to an end.

Self-inflicted wound. Might prove to be fatal.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »

Self-inflicted wound. Might prove to be fatal.

You think? This is a huge hill to climb. Nicaragua will put every man behind the ball. Although I am rooting for them.. I don't think they will score 4.

The game is still going on. So I hope they prove me wrong.

1]; } ?>