April 28, 2024, 03:54:31 PM

Author Topic: Blurred Lines / Got to Give it Up / Sexy Ways  (Read 3323 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Blurred Lines / Got to Give it Up / Sexy Ways
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
I can hear the similarity between the background beat in the Blurred Lines and Got to Give it Up but less so with Sexy Ways. But the songs to my untrained ears seem significantly different enough.

Is it copying or just employing similar styles?

More likely in my view is that Blurred Lines will make a lot of money and the Gaye estate want a piece of the action.

They should listen to some soca that is sound the same from one song to another

Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One

By Melissa Locker @woolyknickers Aug. 21, 2013

Recently, two pop hits—Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell’s “Blurred Lines” and One Direction’s “Best Song Ever”—made headlines for taking inspiration from classic songs.

Irate One Direction fans started a frenzy on Twitter due to rumors that The Who was going to ask YouTube to take down One Direction’s “Best Song Ever” on the grounds that the track bore an uncanny resemblance to The Who’s classic “Baba O’Riley.” The Twitter tempest surrounding the hashtag #donttouchbestsongever eventually led The Who’s frontman Pete Townsend to issue a statement this week assuring Directioners’ that he had no intention of pursuing action against “Best Song Ever.” In fact, he said, he liked the song and, perhaps less believably, One Direction. In the statement, Townsend admitted that he was flattered by the similarity, noting, “I’m happy to think they may have been influenced a little bit by the Who.”

While Townsend was honored by the similarity, not everyone takes it as a compliment. Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. have filed a preemptive lawsuit over their mega-hit track “Blurred Lines” after Marvin Gaye’s estate and Bridgeport music—who own the rights to a number of Funkadelic compositions—reportedly threatened a lawsuit against Thicke et al, on the grounds that “Blurred Lines” was too similar to their copyrighted material, specifically Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up” and Funkadelic’s “Sexy Ways.” (While George Clinton of Funkadelic has come out in support of Robin Thicke, Bridgeport Music has not.) The “Blurred Lines” lawsuit states: “There are no similarities between plaintiffs’ composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements. Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else’s composition.”

While it’s unusual for two high-profiled claims of musical plagiarism to make headlines in the same week, music has a long history of songs that sound alike.  In light of that, it seemed like a good time to revisit the concept of pop plagiarism that we covered last year.

Read more:

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/08/22/11-suspiciously-sound-alike-songs/#ixzz2dScLBibV
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Blurred Lines / Got to Give it Up / Sexy Ways
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
of course it is, from a trained ear, another note, robin tried to settle out of court... clear indicator in a copyright infringement/plagerism case

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
of course it is, from a trained ear, another note, robin tried to settle out of court... clear indicator in a copyright infringement/plagerism case

Bullshit.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

Bullshit.

Lol...waiting patiently for legal opinion.

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/8174189-95/copyright-infringement-and-blurred-lines
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »

Bullshit.

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/8174189-95/copyright-infringement-and-blurred-lines

You already have it... peep what the entertainment attorney says:

“To the extent of the potential lawsuit coming from Gaye and Bridgeport is based on theme, feeling or vibe, I think it is smart to make a pre-emptive strike against that. Ultimately a musicologist will decide. However,” Phillips explained, “if Bridgeport is right, then potentially all the artists who produce thematic records and albums will be vulnerable to lawsuits.”

Although I would say that any opinion you read in this piece is more informative than dispositive, none of these people are copyright attorneys, nor am I.  But it is highly unlikely that this is a case of copyright infringement, given how different both songs are.  Incidentally, the Prof. discusses Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" and The Police "Can't Stand Losing You"... I heard The Fixx' "One Thing Leads to Another" the moment I heard the Bruno Mars track.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »

Bullshit.

“To the extent of the potential lawsuit coming from Gaye and Bridgeport is based on theme, feeling or vibe, I think it is smart to make a pre-emptive strike against that. Ultimately a musicologist will decide. However,” Phillips explained, “if Bridgeport is right, then potentially all the artists who produce thematic records and albums will be vulnerable to lawsuits.”

Although I would say that any opinion you read in this piece is more informative than dispositive, none of these people are copyright attorneys, nor am I.  But it is highly unlikely that this is a case of copyright infringement, given how different both songs are.  Incidentally, the Prof. discusses Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" and The Police "Can't Stand Losing You"... I heard The Fixx' "One Thing Leads to Another" the moment I heard the Bruno Mars track.

since you're not a copyright attorney or musician and have very little knowledge of IP law and the entertainment industry, you should stay quiet, because the only bullshit is what you responded to my statement..

btw my attorney is one of the top 10 in the nation for music entertainment and I know a fair bit myself...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:09:32 AM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

Bullshit.

whats so funny about his ignorant remark,when he has no knowledge of the industry... his personal vendetta against certain posters are the only reason he responds in the way he does...schupsss

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
I can hear the similarity between the background beat in the Blurred Lines and Got to Give it Up but less so with Sexy Ways. But the songs to my untrained ears seem significantly different enough.

Is it copying or just employing similar styles?

More likely in my view is that Blurred Lines will make a lot of money and the Gaye estate want a piece of the action.

They should listen to some soca that is sound the same from one song to another

Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One

By Melissa Locker @woolyknickers Aug. 21, 2013

Recently, two pop hits—Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell’s “Blurred Lines” and One Direction’s “Best Song Ever”—made headlines for taking inspiration from classic songs.

Irate One Direction fans started a frenzy on Twitter due to rumors that The Who was going to ask YouTube to take down One Direction’s “Best Song Ever” on the grounds that the track bore an uncanny resemblance to The Who’s classic “Baba O’Riley.” The Twitter tempest surrounding the hashtag #donttouchbestsongever eventually led The Who’s frontman Pete Townsend to issue a statement this week assuring Directioners’ that he had no intention of pursuing action against “Best Song Ever.” In fact, he said, he liked the song and, perhaps less believably, One Direction. In the statement, Townsend admitted that he was flattered by the similarity, noting, “I’m happy to think they may have been influenced a little bit by the Who.”

While Townsend was honored by the similarity, not everyone takes it as a compliment. Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. have filed a preemptive lawsuit over their mega-hit track “Blurred Lines” after Marvin Gaye’s estate and Bridgeport music—who own the rights to a number of Funkadelic compositions—reportedly threatened a lawsuit against Thicke et al, on the grounds that “Blurred Lines” was too similar to their copyrighted material, specifically Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up” and Funkadelic’s “Sexy Ways.” (While George Clinton of Funkadelic has come out in support of Robin Thicke, Bridgeport Music has not.) The “Blurred Lines” lawsuit states: “There are no similarities between plaintiffs’ composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements. Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else’s composition.”

While it’s unusual for two high-profiled claims of musical plagiarism to make headlines in the same week, music has a long history of songs that sound alike.  In light of that, it seemed like a good time to revisit the concept of pop plagiarism that we covered last year.

Read more:

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/08/22/11-suspiciously-sound-alike-songs/#ixzz2dScLBibV

he borrowed from two songs, don't listen to untrained musical ears like bakes, who has very limited knowledge of the industry and it's laws...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
since you're not a copyright attorney or musician and have very little knowledge of IP law and the entertainment industry, you should stay quiet, because the only bullshit is what you responded to my statement..

btw my attorney is one of the top 10 in the nation for music entertainment and I know a fair bit myself...

Don't assume what yuh don't know... I actually have a great deal both knowledge and experience in copyright (not IP, since you clearly don't know the difference between the two) and entertainment law, including drafting and reviewing contracts for artists.  Unlike you I doh have to exaggerate to try and make myself seem knowledgeable.

he borrowed from two songs, don't listen to untrained musical ears like bakes, who has very limited knowledge of the industry and it's laws...

How de ass you could have a "trained ear" when yuh blasted tone deaf?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

Don't assume what yuh don't know... I actually have a great deal both knowledge and experience in copyright (not IP, since you clearly don't know the difference between the two) and entertainment law, including drafting and reviewing contracts for artists.  Unlike you I doh have to exaggerate to try and make myself seem knowledgeable.

How de ass you could have a "trained ear" when yuh blasted tone deaf?

only a pseudo intellectual fool like yourself would assume I don't know the difference.

copyright law deals with the exclusive rights for licensing, copying and the exploitation of music, in this case audio

ip is original work, involving patents, trademarks, copyrighted works in an nutshell, not that I need to prove myself to a pseudo intellectual like yourself but its good to point out to idiots their ignorance

exaggerate, you feel you are the expert on every topic, so much so, that people avoid and laugh at your foolish innuendo

good for you, you worked with artists, that's great, my lawyers have worked with the best in the music industry, clients you would dream about having, so hush yuh mouth

post your music and the producers you have worked with, I have and am working with the best in the industry, from lawyers to producers who would laugh at you because i have more musical talent in my big toe than you ever will have in your life...

when you post your music, post your accreditation in music as well and we can really show everyone how tone deaf you are... 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:23:31 PM by Controversial »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
I cant really comment on what constitute IP and copyright laws. But based on observations from outside the industry, I see a lot of borrowing going on as well as many similarities between songs.

For example, just today, I was listening to www.rdio.com (if you have not checked out this site, you should. Lots of free streaming music that can be tailored to the user based on listening history).

I selected the "Parliament/George" Clinton station and set it to play the artist and similar type music from this genre.

Other artists that was included in this stream included Cameo, Zapp, Maze, Ohio Players,  Bootsy Rubber Band etc. that was automatically selected by the underlying algorithm

Guess what? the tracks that played all had similar themes and beats. This begs the questions: who borrowed from whom?  Which artist was the primary originator of that theme of music?. One review of Cameo commented on how their music sounded like Parliament. I don't know, but did George Clinton sue Layry Blackman for sounding like Parliament?

If the Gaye and Bridgeport are successful in their suit, to me that should open the door to flurry of lawsuits for other copyright holders whose music have been sampled by other musicians.

The fact that DJ's in nightclubs all over the world can "mix" songs seamlessly suggests that many songs have more in common than not.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »

Bullshit.

So leh we hear wha he saying nah!.....lol
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »

Bullshit.

So leh we hear wha he saying nah!.....lol

:D :D you think i wasting money for him to post on the board  :rotfl:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
I cant really comment on what constitute IP and copyright laws. But based on observations from outside the industry, I see a lot of borrowing going on as well as many similarities between songs.

For example, just today, I was listening to www.rdio.com (if you have not checked out this site, you should. Lots of free streaming music that can be tailored to the user based on listening history).

I selected the "Parliament/George" Clinton station and set it to play the artist and similar type music from this genre.

Other artists that was included in this stream included Cameo, Zapp, Maze, Ohio Players,  Bootsy Rubber Band etc. that was automatically selected by the underlying algorithm

Guess what? the tracks that played all had similar themes and beats. This begs the questions: who borrowed from whom?  Which artist was the primary originator of that theme of music?. One review of Cameo commented on how their music sounded like Parliament. I don't know, but did George Clinton sue Layry Blackman for sounding like Parliament?

If the Gaye and Bridgeport are successful in their suit, to me that should open the door to flurry of lawsuits for other copyright holders whose music have been sampled by other musicians.

The fact that DJ's in nightclubs all over the world can "mix" songs seamlessly suggests that many songs have more in common than not.

good observations, but there is an unwritten rule in the industry, you sue the labels or movie studios and you have a strong chance to be blacklisted, in this case its his family, so they really don't care, alot of other artists have won and not faced the ramifications, depends on their connections and how big they are.

satriani sued coldplay for vida la vida bc it was a straight bite from his song and he won, my former producer knows satriani well and told me the details of the case... so there has been many cases where the artists have won, also the r kelly case a number of years ago, where kelly had a rift from a guitar piece in his track that was a hit and had to pay out, sometimes artists wait or the estate, for the track to be a hit to sue the artist, so they know its worth it, if the track is a flop, no one cares bc you cant get a substantial amount of paper, so sometimes you wish the song goes big
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:41:07 PM by Controversial »

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Incidentally, the Prof. discusses Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" and The Police "Can't Stand Losing You"... I heard The Fixx' "One Thing Leads to Another" the moment I heard the Bruno Mars track.

I also heard the Romantics' "Talking in your sleep"...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mm8BZfkIkdI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mm8BZfkIkdI</a>
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Incidentally, the Prof. discusses Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" and The Police "Can't Stand Losing You"... I heard The Fixx' "One Thing Leads to Another" the moment I heard the Bruno Mars track.

I also heard the Romantics' "Talking in your sleep"...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mm8BZfkIkdI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mm8BZfkIkdI</a>

The guitar riff similar, I could see that.

1]; } ?>