April 27, 2024, 08:20:01 PM

Author Topic: PM's response to murder rate leaves Police, D/Force sweating on Pro League fates  (Read 3891 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defence Force is back!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
Defence Force is back: Defending champ rejoins Pro League
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The defending Pro League champion football team, Defence Force, is back in business.

Defence Force assistant coach Marvin Gordon told Wired868 that the team got the good news this morning from its superiors and the players cannot wait to resume training tomorrow.

“(Head coach) Ross (Russell) called me and said we are starting tomorrow evening from 3 pm in Macqueripe,” said Gordon. “I don’t think we will play on Friday because we can only have two sessions between now and then.

“I feel by maybe next Tuesday we should play. But I will know for sure after training tomorrow.”

Gordon conceded that Defence Force would be short of match fitness but backed his side to come out firing, despite the one-month lay-off.

“I think the guys are professional enough to know it is any time we can come back into the football (competition),” he told Wired868. “I think a lot of the guys were trying to keep up their fitness during the break.

“Match fitness is a different thing and we know we are starting at a disadvantage to everyone else. But we believe that with a week’s training we are more than a match for anybody.”

Star striker and former Trinidad and Tobago international Devorn Jorsling, who has three goals from his team’s eight games, has been keeping close watch on the Pro League competition and believes the army/coast guard combination can still challenge for the trophy.

He backed his colleagues to shake off the rust to not only aim for a top two finish but to overhaul leaders DIRECTV W Connection, who have lost just once in the league so far this season.

“I think match fitness would hinder us in the early part and, throughout my career, fitness has been a problem for me as I tend to put on weight fast,” said Jorsling. “But as soldiers we have bad mind and if anyone can cope with it, it is Defence Force…

“I followed the league closely and I think it is up for grabs. If we can come back and win the games we have in hand, we will be four points behind W Connection and still have to play them twice.”

Gordon and Jorsling said it was torture to watch on as the league continued without them. Now, the relieved soldiers aim to make up for lost time.

“Football is something we all love,” said Gordon. “Being away from something you love and knowing you might not even get to defend your title was a real bother. The same thing happened to us two years ago when they had the SOE.

“But it is a great feeling to be back. We are just going to take it one game at a time now and try to defend the title.”

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:54:37 AM by FF »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Force is back!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
Yes!!! Good reporting Lasana. Would have damaged the league and many careers if they had to withdraw.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Force is back!
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Thanks Dreamer

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I think the DF have to decide whether they should play in the pro-league. Designating 30 players to play football for the DF is not a burden to that institution. If it is a burden go back to the TTFA league or play lower league football. Right now the Minister and them screwing up the team and players and the league.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Central F.C. vs Defence Force  Tuesday 18th Feb  Venue and time TBC

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Awesome, but busy period for Central - you seeing it positively (momentum) or negatively (tired legs)?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Awesome, but busy period for Central - you seeing it positively (momentum) or negatively (tired legs)?

Nah - my legs ain't tired  :rotfl:

We have no excuses, we have a talented enough squad to play 3 games per week. Look, de Silva, Quintero, Winchester, Paul, Gabriel were all on the bench last night. Benjamin was suspended. Should be able to field a decent team vs Jabloteh (Fri) Army (Tues) Rangers (Fri)
9 points right there lol

1]; } ?>