March 29, 2024, 08:00:58 AM

Author Topic: World Junior Swimming Championships  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Junior Swimming Championships
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:42:02 PM »
No one has been picking up the news on this?

Like I said before, the next generation is coming. We are still a little ways off of the world standard, but for CAC and even Commonwealth next year, we could do some damage in a sport that has had very limited success.

Leaving Dubai for home tonight a very satisfied coach!

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2013-08-31/carter-lands-world-junior-swim-medal
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Junior Swimming Championships
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:16 AM »
Big thanks Soldier, to you and all you for real representatives of the country..Very Proud.
a piece by Jason Wickam as well..
https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/jason-andre-wickham/world-juniors-parents-you-share-in-dylans-silver/10151522705811324

WORLD JUNIORS PARENTS- YOU SHARE IN DYLAN'S SILVER!!!.
August 31, 2013 at 4:39pm
This week a 17 year old boy has achieved in T & T swimming a phenomenal feat. Not only is he the first swimmer to ever medal in the World Junior Swimming Championships, but he is the first swimmer in my recollection, not named George Bovell III, to have generated a wave of national pride. Social Media was abuzz. The media gave 100% support to the team. And now everyone knows our newest champion Dylan Carter.

The intention is not to further glorify his magnificent achievement. But to give the story behind the story….to let the people of Trinidad and Tobago know what patriotism entails, what love for your sport costs, and to glorify the real champions behind the swimming champions…the parents!! Not just Everard and Tracy Carter, but also the parents of the other team members- Beverly and Wayne Julien (Kristin’s parents), Dean and Jacqueline Romany (Joshua’s parents), Kim and Anthony Ramkissoon (Jonathan’s parents) and Craig and Babette Martin (Tyla’s parents) and all parents of National Athletes.

This group of parents work progressively and in unity to ensure that the five athletes on the team in the face of uncertainty and even some animosity made it to Dubai. From temporary loans among one another, to waiting in bank lines to advance monies to the Amateur Swimming Association of Trinidad and Tobago (ASATT), to using credit cards to pay for team officials, to having athletes bunk with one another during training stints just to save a dollar, to dipping into personal savings and retirement funds, just to ensure that the athletes who had achieved the highest level a junior athlete could achieve, and thankfully they all made it to Dubai. While the Dubai trip itself may have been $30,000 an athlete, preparing for same cost double and triple that amount ADDITIONALLY.

World Juniors were held in 2006, 2008 and 2011, but 2013 became the first time funds were not advanced by the Association for these games. These world juniors’ parents were basically told by ASATT on June 13th that there were no funds available to these athletes ($50 - $80k was the amount quoted which could have realistically funded officials only). These parents could have taken a decision not to have their children participate or publicly take the powers that be to task. They were privately emotional about it and they had their quiet pondering painful moments trying to determine how this could be. Assessing their situation, they kept focus and through immense financial sacrifice, Dubai is now history. The majority would share the sentiment of team manager Dean Romany who still is confident that the parents of these potential Olympians are reimbursed.

Parents in the sport continue to support regardless of all that is meted out to them. Patriotism and love for child can make you do some crazy things like wake up at 4:00am to take them to morning training and then return for an evening session. Shipping out children to the US and other countries to train with or without parental supervision, depending on how the pockets are, is another investment and frankly a risk. Volunteering at swim competitions just to ensure meets can run. There are the physiotherapy fees, gym fees, personal training, food, supplements, gas, training fees and host of other expenses. Not to mention managing hormones and new attitudes which creep up in teenage years. Sometimes due to insufficient planning by administration, parents are forced to make spur of the moment financial decisions just for athletes to represent the Red White and Black. Yet their contribution to the development of sport in Trinidad and Tobago is at times completely undervalued.

The management of family life is probably the most difficult task especially if you have a mix of athletes of different sports, or athletes versus non-athletes. Ensuring that there is a balance of attention given to your offspring, management of emotion is not an easy task. An athlete sometimes needs more encouragement- enforcement of a strict regimen is needed. Parents also have to learn if to push, when to push, what to say, what not to say in order to affect the mind of the athlete in a positive way. They have to learn to be strong when the athlete needs them the most and most likely cry in their quiet times.

So Trinidad and Tobago, without the support of the parents, Dylan Carters and George Bovells would not have achieved what they have. We can be almost sure persons like Jehue Gordon, Andrew Lewis and Njisane Phillip would attest to the same. Trinidad and Tobago needs at this time of Independence to salute the parents of our athletes who for years on end are the true flag bearers, the cheerers, the supporters, the screamers, the backbone of all our athletes, especially the ones who bring glory to the red white and black.

On behalf of all Trinbagonians, I would like to specially thank the parents of the World Juniors Swimming Team. While at times faith was a scarce commodity, you stuck it out as a team, and ensured that Trinidad and Tobago had its best performance ever at the World Junior Championships. You all share in Dylan’s silver!!

And a message from him to Dylan

Dylan Carter. Your medal is the start of a magnificent journey to greatness. This road is filled with potholes, speedbumps and even some Cepep workers cutting grass so the occasional loose stone will flick up. This road is always filled with many smiles, many tears, pain and satisfaction. You are now going to be faced with enormous expectations, sometimes unrealistic ones. People are going to expect Dylan Carter to be superman.

You are now a role model. People don't only look up to you because you are 6ft and change, but because of what you have achieved. I remember your first Carifta where your mom Tracy used 10 rolls of handtowels a night from the tears of joy you brought her. Your dad Everard always has your back in more ways than one. Don't you ever forget their support!! Kudos to Coaches Franz and Alex for the promise they saw and the time they invested in you.

I guess what I am trying to say is keep humble, keep focussed, keep working hard, keep praying, keep learning. You are going to be the subject of immense criticism and you gonna be "blessed" with bandwagonists. Keep a core group of people who you not afraid to vent with. You will need it. I mean you have already gone through your fair share of issues of a young swimmer so you know of what I speak.

I am really proud to see what you have become from being unable to make a waterpolo team , to a Goodwill silver medallist, to a multiple gold medallist at regional meets, to breaking your finger and still attempting to swim for your country at a CARIFTA, to being a World Junior Swimming silver medallist, and a future Olympic champion.

Dylan. You have inspired a nation. You have a lot of us with permanent goosebumps. You had people crying tears of joy. The power of sport is immense. Use it wisely as many have not. Thank you for what you have done for Trinidad and Tobago!! Enjoy the moment!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »
Leaving Dubai for home tonight a very satisfied coach!

:applause: blow yuh horn breds

Pleased to see you and yuh charges flyin we flag high in foreign pools
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
 :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Swima, still waiting for your personal report..your experiences, your trials..what you learned.. doh fraid  :)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Roberts: New era of swimming with Carter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:03:48 AM »
Roberts: New era of swimming with Carter
T&T Express Reports
Story Created: Sep 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM ECT

There is enough talent in Trinidad and Tobago swimming to field a 4x100 metres freestyle team.
So said Minister of Sport Anil Roberts at Piarco International Airport’s VIP Lounge late on Tuesday night as he welcomed back T&T’s swim team—inclusive of 50-metres butterfly silver medallist Dylan Carter—from the fourth FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Roberts, also a swim coach who has worked with Olympics and World Championships bronze medallist George Bovell—T&T’s most successful swimmer—paid tribute to Carter and the rest of the team for their performances.
The team also included girls Tyla Martin and Kristin Julien, and boys Joshua Romany and Jonathan Ramkissoon. Dean Romany served as manager, with Franz Huggins as head coach, June Durham as physiotherapist, and Jacqueline Pantin-Romany, chaperone.

The minister would like to see a relay team at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, 2014 CAC Games and 2016 Olympics, and named Joshua Romany, Caryle Blondell and George Bovell would make a good team, along with Joshua McLeod.
“There’s a new era in swimming and you all have just seen it,” said Roberts. “Take many pictures get to know him, because he’s a humble young man who is generally beautiful to talk to, very intelligent, understand what the sport is about…and has worked hard.”
Roberts also predicted that Carter, who swims several different strokes and distances, could medal at the next years Commonwealth Games, after his “fast times” of 55.37 seconds (100m backstroke), and 23.98 (50m butterfly) at the junior “Worlds”.
“He is going to have some hard decisions next year as we got Commonwealth Games and CAC Games,” said Roberts. “Already he is looking well-ranked in the 100 backstrokes. I believe already he is in the top six in the Commonwealth Games. If he can get down to 54.74 he’ll be on the podium, so that is a very short way away.”

In his brief address, Carter told the gathering of family, supporters, officials and media that he was pleasantly surprised by their support.
“It means so much to me that you all came out at this late time and all the way out to the airport to see me come home; it’s really special to me. I didn’t really expect this,” the swimmer said.
“I don’t have much to say, just thank you all for the support, I was getting all the support over there and it really, really helped. The whole team was great, everybody back home was great. I’m just really happy to be home and to see everybody again.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
Bring on the Commonwealth Games then.  :)

1]; } ?>