March 28, 2024, 11:48:05 AM

Author Topic: Experts say Warriors making progress.  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Experts say Warriors making progress.
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:38 AM »
By Ian Prescott (Express).

A number of football pundits are agreeing that Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s national football team has made steady strides over the period between the CONCACAF Gold Cup in July and the OSN Cup, which ended on Monday in Saudi Arabia.

Under new coach Stephen Hart, the “Soca Warriors” reached the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup for the first time since 2000. They also finished third at the OSN Cup behind the United Arab Emirates, who beat New Zealand 2-0 in Monday’s final in Saudi Arabia.

The OSN tournament’s opening game saw the Soca Warriors rally from three goals down to draw 3-3 with 2013 Gulf Cup Champions UAE, before losing 7-6 on penalty kicks. T&T then beat Saudi Arabia 3-1 for third spot.

“There is something good happening with the national team,” stated former national captain Clayton Morris. “Before, we were not seeing any positive results. Now, you are seeing a fight, which we did not have before. It takes character to come from three goals down to get a draw.”

Morris urged national coach Stephen Hart to continue to develop the locally-based nucleus by working regularly with them—possibly once a week where possible and even when there are no international match dates.

“The team will continue to improve,” Morris said. “But the coach needs to keep working with a nucleus of young players whether (there’s) a game or not. It is these players who will benefit most.”

Former national defender Brian Williams also sees improvement and thinks that to continue the upward curve, T&T’s young players need continued international exposure similar to the OSN Cup. Williams said it is important that T&T remain active during every FIFA international date, whether the team is in competition or not.

“We have to give Mr. (Stephen) Hart some credit. I think he is doing a good job—you are seeing it on the field. There is an improvement in the level of confidence and cohesion within the team,” Williams said.

“I definitely can see some improvement because in the past we were struggling to even score goals,” stated  Williams. “I must give (kudos) to Kenwyne Jones because we are seeing a little more responsibility from him and commitment to Trinidad and Tobago through his play.”

Former national player and coach Alvin Corneal also thinks that T&T’s performances have grown recently, but doesn’t necessarily feel that the hiring of former Canada coach Hart is responsible for it.

Corneal believes that they are reaping the reward of developing the current young bunch of players, many of whom were on both the FIFA 2007 Under-17, the  FIFA 2009 Under-20 World Cup team and the Olympic qualifying team.

“There is clearly an improvement, but I don’t think (the reasons) are what people think they were,” stated former national footballer and coach Corneal. “Most of these players have had over 60 international games and are now playing in Europe, USA and other places.

On this trip (Saudi Arabia) we are starting to see the quality of our youngsters. Kenwyne Jones did not have to work hard to score goals. This team is gelling.”

“I am very pleased and optimistic going forward. I am looking down the road with a lot of hope,” Corneal added.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Experts say Warriors making progress.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »
Corneal full of shit as usual
I pity the fool....

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
What the hell is Corneal's problem?? He sounds totally ignorant!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:35 AM »
Whats new. And Corneal suppose to be Hart bo, just talk to get attention, that's all and to keep his Guardian piece active, de Guardian is really some stupidy boy, they paying one man to copy and paste and de other one to write ignorant pieces.

Alvin has de most knowledge in T&T or so he feel and never did anything worthwhile as a coach, the little he was one.

De Corneals have all de paper work to be de most qualified and in practical they have no vision and nothing solid, hopefully, Anton try to fix his gene and stay away from his idiot father.

Alvin trying to say Anton is responsible for de team in a smart way as he and Vranes was coach for them youth teams.

So why didn't the other coach do the same then?

De players want to play for Hart, under Shabazz they played lackluster.

So where Andre Marchan, Sheldon Clarke, Leslie Russell, Kareem Moses, Sean De Silva, Jeromie Williams, Micah Lewis, Jayson Joseph, Jomal Williams, Leston Paul, Trevin Caesar, Cordell Cato, Stephen Knox, Ryan O'Neil, Daniel Joseph, Jean-Luc Rochford, Aaron Maund ( :devil: ), Weslie John, Kenaz Williams, Jerrel Britto, Akeem Adams, Johan Peltier, Akeem Garcia and Shahdon Winchester?

Not to mention, Curtis Gonzales and Mekeil Williams did not play a single game under Hart and Kevan George get a 10 mins run. Daneil Cyrus and Joevin Jones was not even there.

Alvin talking without snese. over 20 players were missing from them teams Alvin talking about.

Marvin Phillip, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Jan Michael Williams, Justin Hoyte, Khaleem Hyland, Densill Theobald, Andre Boucaud, Willis Plaza, Ataullah Guerra, Lester Peltier and Kenwyne Jones was not even part of the team Alvin talking about.

SH better watch he back with these fellas in T&T we, they band mind to bad..

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:34:59 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:12:12 AM »
So Corneal saying is all down to the efforts of his son, who lead the 2007 U-17's and had significant input with the 2009 U-20's and Olympic team.

As usual give praise to the Corneal dynasty for saving T&T football from the gutter. Give praise coach Hart because you would never have had this superbly gelled unit at your disposal if it wasn't fuh dem.

What Nonsense, that man continues to annoy me.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »
Anton for Prime Minister  :-\

But on a serious note, I wonder if Anton shares his father's sentiments.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:38 AM »
Even though Alvin's comments are irritating, at least he consistent.  ;D
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:48 AM »
Anton for Prime Minister  :-\

But on a serious note, I wonder if Anton shares his father's sentiments.

I hope not! But sadly as he dosen't (diplomatically) distance himself for the uninformed tat that his father spews, he will always continue to be dragged into any discussion similar to this when his dad gets involved.

Like it or not.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
Even though Alvin's comments are irritating, at least he consistent.  ;D

Yuh got me there. This is true.

You have a better gift than I for making a positive out of a negative.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »
I was enjoying my morning coffee while reading this article...and then suddenly the diarrhea-inducing quotes from Alvin Corneal hit me.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:05:17 AM »
Alvin Corneal is a disease.

He knows everything and do nothing.

Thank God for uncle Jack he has a position with FIFA.

I am suprise people still take this pig face fool seriously.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
I'm sorry but the Corneal's have brought nothing to our football and to me they are a blight to the national team.

Always a set of jealousy in TT, these men don't know about community and supporting the best coach to take the national forward, real blue crab syndrome

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
Alvin Corneal is a disease.

He knows everything and do nothing.

Thank God for uncle Jack he has a position with FIFA.

I am suprise people still take this pig face fool seriously.

Spot on. D man spoil d article jed. Other coaches had these players available to then and couldnt do what Hart is doing now. Hart en even have time to really work with the team as yet. Corneal going senile, talkin he s**t and lying down in it. But congrats to Anton for "his production line" though

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
A wiser head said
Only a fool thinks he knows it all.... :devil:Duffy.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
Alvin is and will always be an a$$.. I don't even know why they bother to ask his opinion, they know exactly the garbage that will come out of his mouth.

As soon as I read the headline, I was thinking, Lawd, what will he say this time.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »
By Ian Prescott (Express).

A number of football pundits are agreeing that Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s national football team has made steady strides over the period between the CONCACAF Gold Cup in July and the OSN Cup, which ended on Monday in Saudi Arabia.

Under new coach Stephen Hart, the “Soca Warriors” reached the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup for the first time since 2000. They also finished third at the OSN Cup behind the United Arab Emirates, who beat New Zealand 2-0 in Monday’s final in Saudi Arabia.

The OSN tournament’s opening game saw the Soca Warriors rally from three goals down to draw 3-3 with 2013 Gulf Cup Champions UAE, before losing 7-6 on penalty kicks. T&T then beat Saudi Arabia 3-1 for third spot.

“There is something good happening with the national team,” stated former national captain Clayton Morris. “Before, we were not seeing any positive results. Now, you are seeing a fight, which we did not have before. It takes character to come from three goals down to get a draw.”

Morris urged national coach Stephen Hart to continue to develop the locally-based nucleus by working regularly with them—possibly once a week where possible and even when there are no international match dates.

“The team will continue to improve,” Morris said. “But the coach needs to keep working with a nucleus of young players whether (there’s) a game or not. It is these players who will benefit most.”

Former national defender Brian Williams also sees improvement and thinks that to continue the upward curve, T&T’s young players need continued international exposure similar to the OSN Cup. Williams said it is important that T&T remain active during every FIFA international date, whether the team is in competition or not.

“We have to give Mr. (Stephen) Hart some credit. I think he is doing a good job—you are seeing it on the field. There is an improvement in the level of confidence and cohesion within the team,” Williams said.

“I definitely can see some improvement because in the past we were struggling to even score goals,” stated  Williams. “I must give (kudos) to Kenwyne Jones because we are seeing a little more responsibility from him and commitment to Trinidad and Tobago through his play.”

Former national player and coach Alvin Corneal also thinks that T&T’s performances have grown recently, but doesn’t necessarily feel that the hiring of former Canada coach Hart is responsible for it.

Corneal believes that they are reaping the reward of developing the current young bunch of players, many of whom were on both the FIFA 2007 Under-17, the  FIFA 2009 Under-20 World Cup team and the Olympic qualifying team.

“There is clearly an improvement, but I don’t think (the reasons) are what people think they were,” stated former national footballer and coach Corneal. “Most of these players have had over 60 international games and are now playing in Europe, USA and other places.

On this trip (Saudi Arabia) we are starting to see the quality of our youngsters. Kenwyne Jones did not have to work hard to score goals. This team is gelling.”

“I am very pleased and optimistic going forward. I am looking down the road with a lot of hope,” Corneal added.

These reporters need to stop going to Alvin for his opinion on the team as it does nothing but irritate intelligent readers with common sense.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:00:35 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Notice is the same people these press go to for interviews all the time and one hand they criticizing and on the other hand they partially praising.

Ian Prescott is a old timer and only do interviews with his pardnars and old timers.

I am surprise he lasted this long as a sport journalist, it says a lot about the quality of the dailies in T&T, either they paying him small money or they dont really care about sports once he cover a piece once a week.

The fool even calling them Experts .....  :rotfl:

Anybody who born before 1970 should not be talking about football anymore, time leave them in the past and is the same old stories they keep hearing. Half of them never even went to school.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:31:35 PM by Errol »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 01:52:44 AM »
Players give vote of confidence to coach Hart, captain Jones.
T&T Express Reports.

Most times the true story comes from within. With that said, there must be something right about the commendation being extended to Trinidad and Tobago head coach Stephen Hart and captain Kenwyne Jones from members of the national senior team.

T&T copped third spot in the just concluded OSN Cup with a well deserved 3-1 victory over host nation Saudi Arabia in Riyadh on Monday. And looking back, prior to that, the display by the team at the Concacaf Gold Cup is cause for optimism. Goals are being scored, and the desire to improve and achieve has been evident from the 2006 World Cup finalists.

Jones in particular has led like a leader. At least, his teammates are seeing it that way.

“He’s been fantastic. He’s been a good leader especially for the younger players in the squad right now, and he’s really helped the team,” Kazakhstan-based defender Radanfah Abu Bakr told TTFA Media on Monday, following the team’s appearance at the OSN Cup.

“The coach as well has come in and done a fantastic job with the boys. He’s instilled belief in the players and he has the team doing good things which is what we wanted.”

Middlesbrough defender Justin Hoyte, a former Arsenal player, said that Jones was doing an excellent job as captain of the team.

“Kenwyne leads from the front and a great example for the younger players. He wants the team to do well and he’s getting us to feel the same way. His performances have been good also, and I think we can definitely expect to see the team heading in the right direction if he continues this way,” Hoyte said on Wednesday.

The former England Under 21 defender made his debut for T&T prior to the Gold Cup but said he is now settled in the setup.

“He (Hart) came in with a good reputation. He’s a very good manager and I like the way he’s getting the team to play. He’s learning more about us as well and I like his philosophy. I think we are benefitting from that. As you can see we’ve been scoring goals again and the team is playing with purpose and fight that has seen us get some important results,” Hoyte added.

Former T&T Under 20 and Under 23 captain Sheldon Bateau made his first start for T&T under Hart in the win over Saudi Arabia. Now based with KC Mechelen in Belgium, Bateau was thrilled to start against the Saudis.

“Coach Hart for one is an amazing person. You can also see that as a coach he knows what he is doing.  The players and myself respect this. When you compare it with before when things were difficult, it’s far better for us now. He knows his players and when he called for me to start on Monday I was ready for it. This was another stepping stone for me,” Bateau stated.

T&T and Central FC goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, now with 54 appearances for T&T, also expressed his feelings on playing under Hart and Jones.

“I’ve known Kenwyne for a long time now. We played together at the Under 17 level in 2001 at the World Cup and we’ve come through the ranks. I have a lot of respect for him, but I think not just myself, but the other guys are pleased with the way he’s led the team, and that augurs well for us going forward. Not everytime the performances will be on par or our results may not be the right one in every game, but I think this direction we’re heading in seems to be a good one.

“And as for coach Hart,” Williams continued, “I don’t think enough has been said. He knows what he’s doing and he’s getting players to understand their roles and the real purpose as to what we are about as a team.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:14 AM »
Players give vote of confidence to coach Hart, captain Jones.
T&T Express Reports.

He knows what he’s doing

notice how many times that phrase came up, Local Coaches take note and try to advance alyuh trainin methods and thinking.......dat statement say plenty about the mindset of players under Shabazz\Charles earlier dis year.
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »
Notice is the same people these press go to for interviews all the time and one hand they criticizing and on the other hand they partially praising.

Ian Prescott is a old timer and only do interviews with his pardnars and old timers.

I am surprise he lasted this long as a sport journalist, it says a lot about the quality of the dailies in T&T, either they paying him small money or they dont really care about sports once he cover a piece once a week.

Anybody who born before 1970 should not be talking about football anymore, time leave them in the past and is the same old stories they keep hearing. Half of them never even went to school.

... no doubt you've considered that the current coach was born pre-1970.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »

I was thinking the same and so are many posters here like myself!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:26:25 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
In Trinbago expert is a jokey word, you know

Offline King

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »

Was thinking the same thing.
If people born before 1970 should not comment, you realise on a worldwide scale that also eliminates Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Pep Guadiola, Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Manuel Pellegrini,  Arsene Wenger, Leo Beenhakker,Gus Hiddink, Fabio Capello, Maradona, Pele to name a few. They seem to know a little about football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stephen Hart pleased with Soca Warriors’ progress.
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
Hart pleased with Soca Warriors’ progress.
By Roger Seepersad (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago coach Stephen Hart is pleased with his team’s performance at the recently-concluded OSN Cup in Saudi Arabia, but insisted that despite their third place finish, T&T still have a lot of work to do.

Under new coach Hart, the “Soca Warriors” reached the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup for the first time since 2000, and also finished third at the OSN Cup behind the United Arab Emirates, who beat New Zealand 2-0 in Monday’s final in Saudi Arabia.

The OSN tournament’s opening game saw the Soca Warriors rally from three goals down to draw 3-3 with 2013 Gulf Cup Champions UAE, before losing 7-6 on penalty kicks. T&T then beat Saudi Arabia 3-1 for third spot

The “Soca Warriors” returned from Saudi Arabia on Thursday night.

Speaking about his team’s recent performances, Hart said: “We went into the first game with some difficulty and we expected some difficulty but the players responded very well. They started well, had a difficult middle period and ended well so considering the circumstances, the players responded well and I am pleased with the results.”

The coach is also willing to give other players a chance as they try to build a strong team.

He said he would like to “give some players some experience and see what happens.”

“From my stand point I am still looking at players to fit in and create competition in the squad. We focused a bit more on the attacking side of the game but we have to work on certain elements. We already spoke to the players and there is a lot of work to do.

“I think the players have made sacrifices and put themselves out there and I think they deserve a bit of love from everybody. They really worked hard, above and beyond in some instances,” he added.

One player given a shot on the trip was Kevin Molino who believes it was encouraged by T&T’s performances.

“It was a great experience to catch up with the players. It was a great tournament in Saudi Arabia and we did well. We lost on penalty kicks but we finished in third place, which is a good experience and I just want to continue doing what I do and enjoy my football and keep scoring for my country and I think all in all it was a great tournament for us.

“Most important I think is the depth we have in the team. There are positives coming out of the Gold Cup and the tournament in Saudi Arabia and we are just delighted to come third and just looking forward to all the international friendly matches coming up,” Molino added.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 06:03:57 AM »

If people born before 1970 should not comment, you realise on a worldwide scale that also eliminates Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Pep Guadiola, Jose Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, Manuel Pellegrini,  Arsene Wenger, Leo Beenhakker,Gus Hiddink, Fabio Capello, Maradona, Pele to name a few. They seem to know a little about football.

I tink he was speakin of trinis in general few might break d mold but many hold and attitude that there is an age where u can feel free to stop the learnin process, while believing that others should simply accept and work around yuh voluntarily stunted development ............yuh does see plenty in the public service...........where I work older heads was refusin to learn d new computer system hell some ah dem did refuse to learn d older system as well..... is only with d possibility of losin dey wuk when d idea of TTRA was floated did dey suddenly find dey learnin cap again...........d "old man" syndrome is very real and stunts development in this country badly
I pity the fool....

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »

Yorke was born in 1971. (Obviously after 1970)   :)
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
I believe the same players who were available to Hart was also available to Shabazz so were was Alvin with these comments when Shabazz was coaching?? For once people like Alvin can't just say well done to a home grown coach, then again we have our jones that anything local is inferior!

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »

Yes, I was referring to Trini coaches, especially the ones based and lived in T&T all they life. They need to grow up.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »

The man mistype. He really meant 1870. LOL   :banginghead: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
The comments by Mr. Corneal are indeed unfortunate! *SIGH*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:51:13 PM by anbrat »

1]; } ?>