April 25, 2024, 10:33:39 AM

Author Topic: Bringing football back to Skinner Park  (Read 10129 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Bringing football back to Skinner Park
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »
Do you guys think if Pro League games are played at Skinner Park if it would help crowd support ?

Have Pro League games and double head it with Super League or a SSFL matches ?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:32:52 PM by Bakes »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Brining football back to Skinner Park
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
Good idea , never thought of having it with Secondary school football. First game though , nobody might stay if its the last game.

Also velodrome and skinner are good ideas but how good is the playing surface.?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:25:46 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
I heard that Skinner Park is in terrible condition though and the Sando Mayor is not willing to fix anything.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Brining football back to Skinner Park
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
I heard that Skinner Park is in terrible condition though and the Sando Mayor is not willing to fix anything.

Hmmmm figured so. Arima is the same mess for years. Track get dig up and never replaced. Plus no drainage if rain fall. Twist my ankle bad a few years ago on that surface.

I remember Santa Rosa wanted a artificial turf some time ago if they made Pro league
Youtube Channel

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
I heard the government already put aside money to fix all community fields in T&T, but nothing is getting done and the mayors in respected towns are sitting on their asses....

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:56:36 PM »
Do you guys think if Pro League games are played at Skinner Park if it would help crowd support ?

Have Pro League games and double head it with Super League or a SSFL matches ?

Great idea, Flex...the suggestion of possibly pairing SSFL games with PFL matches. 

But I agree with D.H.W statement that if there'll be those kind of double-headers, the SSFL matches will have to be the headliners, playing in game 2...since there's obviously more interest and fan-support for the SSFL matches as opposed to the PFL matches.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
I heard the government already put aside money to fix all community fields in T&T, but nothing is getting done and the mayors in respected towns are sitting on their asses....

years now i hearing that
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
According to Mayor Muradali, “it is great to have secondary school football return to Skinner Park after a long absence from the ground as it will bring back memories for those of us who were accustomed to supporting the League and Intercol in the park. The ground staff at Skinner Park have worked tirelessly to get the ground up to match-playing conditions and remedial work was also done recently to improve the facilities.”
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Schools-football-returns-to-Skinner-Park-today-222671011.html

Here are a few pics from the Pres vs Naps game on September 6th.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing football back to Skinner Park
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Nice crowds. Definitely pro league can benefit from it.
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:16:15 AM »
Damn, that look like standing room only.

It shows you the state of the PFL after 13 odd years that they have to rely on schoolboys to draw a crowd.

Having said that it would probably increase the gate by 50 to a hundred percent. But the schools or the SSFL should get a cut of the gate.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 02:21:59 AM »
Great idea Flerx, lets see if the league had any ambition.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »

a wonder how all de big boys in de league never taught of that. well it not going to happen because it was suggested on dis site. 

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »

a wonder how all de big boys in de league never taught of that. well it not going to happen because it was suggested on dis site. 

Actually, it's been spoken about at Pro League meetings for at least 4 seasons.

Some of the issues were that it may only work if the matches were played outside of stadiums. Like it or not, there are FIFA rules concerning the playing of professional games and minimum requirements which the school and community fields may not meet.

How can you charge a decent entrance fee to cover costs and split profits? Is the venue fenced? Is it fair to charge schoolkids? (Yes, I know clubs should look at the big picture, but clubs have budgets which include takings from games. They may not always hit those targets but they have to try)

If the school plays first, everyone may drift off, but if the school team kicks off at 8pm, will the students be ok to travel home after 8pm? Plus, clubs may not want to play at 4pm.

The ideal scenario for clubs would be a school game at a stadium at 6pm with a Pro League game at 8pm with people paying after 7pm to attend. 

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
Historically Skinner park is like a mini Wembley, just the location can attract more fans so why not keep football there?

There is no soccer venue in TT that has a better history of soccer and more popular than Skinner Park.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Man, them pix brought back some good memories. Historically, the SSFL has kept the TTFF and other leagues at arms left. The SSFL has always guarded their product with vigilance. Now that Jack gone they will make sure nothing like that ever happen to them like when warner was the special advisor. So I don't think the PFL and SSFL with collaborate in the matches. The SSFL want to keep all their mponey.

I always loved playing at SP, even though at times the field left much to be desired. The advantage of SP and the Velodrome is location. Both are down town stadiums. Taxis drop you right by the stadiums. You leave the stadiums and you could walk to get a bite somewhere and then catch a taxi to go home where ever that is.

SP is a multi-purpose facility. I more worried about the fetes and Carnival shows. Those activities does screw up the playing surface. I would like for them to put turf field on both the Velodrome and SP. And also have proper covering of the field when they have big fetes. and concert. I have only been to HCS, and the atmosphere nice when that full to capacity. But SP has one of the nicest atmosphere for football in TT.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
Man, them pix brought back some good memories. Historically, the SSFL has kept the TTFF and other leagues at arms left. The SSFL has always guarded their product with vigilance. Now that Jack gone they will make sure nothing like that ever happen to them like when warner was the special advisor. So I don't think the PFL and SSFL with collaborate in the matches. The SSFL want to keep all their mponey.

I always loved playing at SP, even though at times the field left much to be desired. The advantage of SP and the Velodrome is location. Both are down town stadiums. Taxis drop you right by the stadiums. You leave the stadiums and you could walk to get a bite somewhere and then catch a taxi to go home where ever that is.

SP is a multi-purpose facility. I more worried about the fetes and Carnival shows. Those activities does screw up the playing surface. I would like for them to put turf field on both the Velodrome and SP. And also have proper covering of the field when they have big fetes. and concert. I have only been to HCS, and the atmosphere nice when that full to capacity. But SP has one of the nicest atmosphere for football in TT.

Best two game I ever play atmosphere wise was in Skinner Park. I was left in awe.. didn't know football coulda be like that until I went down south de first.

The closest I experience that in town and is a distant third was PSA grounds. The stadium does be dead vibes and I never get to play in the Oval.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
The most beating with baton by cops I seen for storming was at Skinner Park, was the best entertainment pre-show to football games. :rotfl:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
The most beating with baton by cops I seen for storming was at Skinner Park, was the best entertainment pre-show to football games. :rotfl:

Doh laugh, I get my fair share. LOL.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Yaw

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
Good Idea.  Best crowds I have ever played in front of were at Skinner Park
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:10:13 PM by Yaw »

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Tallman.  It brings back A LOT of memories from my ol' Pres days.  The atmosphere during many clashes against 'shitong' teams like St. Benedicts  and Naparima at Skinners Park will never be forgotten.  The first game I remember seeing as a Presman was in form 1 --- it was Pres vs Sando Tech in the Intercol South finals.  I think Sando Tech beat us 3-0 if I'm not mistaken.  Latapy scored at least one of the goals against us.     

Seeing those pics shows me that not much has changed at all.  The vibes still there it looks like.   
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
Historically Skinner park is like a mini Wembley, just the location can attract more fans so why not keep football there?

There is no soccer venue in TT that has a better history of soccer and more popular than Skinner Park.

Tru' talk!  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
Geo V and PSA used to pumping in the 70s. The Oval for intercol was baddest. Intercol at Fatima was nice too.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
If you from south, what do you expect.   Mahaica and Palo Seco had good atmosphere also. Men from the east go swear by the Arima Velodrome. And played a couple up there also.I played once in Guaracara. What a big ass field, jeez.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Tallman.  It brings back A LOT of memories from my ol' Pres days.  The atmosphere during many clashes against 'shitong' teams like St. Benedicts  and Naparima at Skinners Park will never be forgotten.  The first game I remember seeing as a Presman was in form 1 --- it was Pres vs Sando Tech in the Intercol South finals.  I think Sando Tech beat us 3-0 if I'm not mistaken.  Latapy scored at least one of the goals against us.     

Seeing those pics shows me that not much has changed at all.  The vibes still there it looks like.   

True thing. That was my era. First pres game I ever went was at Skinner Park. I think it was intercol. We get five from Nap's when Leonson Lewis was playing fuh them. I think the Final score was 5-1. Not a good day or week for that matter.

I will be honest thought the atmosphere was better at Skinner park than Union Hall but maybe that was because you could actually see most of the game at Skinner Park.  ::)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

Some of the issues were that it may only work if the matches were played outside of stadiums. Like it or not, there are FIFA rules concerning the playing of professional games and minimum requirements which the school and community fields may not meet.
How can you charge a decent entrance fee to cover costs and split profits? Is the venue fenced? Is it fair to charge schoolkids? (Yes, I know clubs should look at the big picture, but clubs have budgets which include takings from games. They may not always hit those targets but they have to try)

If the school plays first, everyone may drift off, but if the school team kicks off at 8pm, will the students be ok to travel home after 8pm? Plus, clubs may not want to play at 4pm.
The ideal scenario for clubs would be a school game at a stadium at 6pm with a Pro League game at 8pm with people paying after 7pm to attend.  
by ppl not commenting, means FS points are Valid ?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Good Idea.  Best crowds I have ever played in front of were at Skinner Park

Second that.  I remember playing in front of 1000s upon 1000s in Skinner Park for Intercol.  Closest experience to match that was playing against Arima in the Veledrome for the Big 8.  Bring de football back home.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

True thing. That was my era. First pres game I ever went was at Skinner Park. I think it was intercol. We get five from Nap's when Leonson Lewis was playing fuh them. I think the Final score was 5-1. Not a good day or week for that matter.

I will be honest thought the atmosphere was better at Skinner park than Union Hall but maybe that was because you could actually see most of the game at Skinner Park.  ::)

Yeah, I agree.  Although Union Hall was Pres home-grounds, I always preferred Skinner's Park.  And tru' talk...Leonson was a real DEMON on the field for Naps.  I always respected his game in HS and of course with the Strike Squad and overseas. One of my all-time favorite players (although he was a Napsman).   

And btw, Leonson has an amazing memory...that man doh forget a face at all.  :rotfl:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »

Kev, anything is possible, again, T&T football on the whole must work under one umbrella, when there are divisions then things will always be in a mess (as it currently is).....

I keep preaching it. We need to unite all football. Force these members to get involved and not work as a separate entity.

Re-write the constitution where football must be governed by one party and have everyone on the same page.

The small teams in T&T have all the community fields and the professional league are left stranded.

We need to find a way to fix those fields to FIFA regulations. Tap into these communities and eliminate some of the small leagues. Too many small football leagues in T&T.

We should have;

Zonal Leagues
Second Division
First Division
Premier Division

At school level;

Primary Level
SSFL Zonal
SSFL Seniors (for kids under 18)

No more football competition should be played unless if its so promotion or charity purposes.

Off course the government should get involved to help get this off the ground.

On another note. We need a stadium for just football, no track, so the fans are closer to the players.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:29:21 PM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Re-write the constitution where football must be governed by one party and have everyone on the same page.

Flex, I eh sure about that. SSFL go fight that. Intercol is a cash cow for them.

On another note. We need a stadium for just football, no track, so the fans are closer to the players.

I agree with you on that. But the clubs will have to fund that on their own. The school that have the space can do that. And share with the clubs. But they will have to put turf-field, dur to wear and tear of the grass surface.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »

Hmmmm figured so. Arima is the same mess for years. Track get dig up and never replaced. Plus no drainage if rain fall. Twist my ankle bad a few years ago on that surface.

I remember Santa Rosa wanted a artificial turf some time ago if they made Pro league

What u talking there is old talk,since i came bake home i have been to the Aeima Veladrone on divus occasions,as a matter of fact any time i in Arima i does just go there and reminice sometimes,i have been to a lot of games at nights it does not matter who playing,i go there i walk about on the field as it brings back such good memories for me especially those clashes with Memphis.

The playing surface is in very good condition and so does the Cycling track,Cyclist train there every night,they have a regular staff that works there on a daily basis and i'm impressed with the maintainance of the place it's very clean,they charge $10.00 to see a game and it have Nuts men etc etc

I don't know why Pro league games don't play there,i guess the same problem the Velodrome have Skinner Park will have,they don't have teams in those areas to attrack a following,u will will not get crowds coming out like in the days of Memphis or Hurricanes.   

1]; } ?>