April 16, 2024, 05:53:01 AM

Author Topic: Bringing football back to Skinner Park  (Read 10047 times)

Offline ragga

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing football back to Skinner Park
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
dem pics ah de park bring back real memories..

1975: North vs South, actually it was North and East Zone combined vs South ZoneS and Central Zone combined.

de park was rammed, sellout crowd.

we (s/c) beat n/e 5-3.

we drop 5 on the great Spiderman Carter.

Rudy Howell (from central zone) score about 2 or 3 in that game.

yeah, i is one them dem fellas who born before 1970 !!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Excellent memories for me at Skinner  Park : the cycling, north south clashes, intercol games and yes I  played  for  St.Johns College against St.Stephens  college fromPrincess Town at Skinner Park 1971. 1970 I played for then Greyhound Dovers- our home  field wasSkinnerPark. Bring back the glory days of football to the south. Revive thePark.

This panty politics running the country would sooner build  cricket grounds on Couva than upgrade our facilities. Shame shame

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 12:51:15 AM »
Man, them pix brought back some good memories. Historically, the SSFL has kept the TTFF and other leagues at arms left. The SSFL has always guarded their product with vigilance. Now that Jack gone they will make sure nothing like that ever happen to them like when warner was the special advisor. So I don't think the PFL and SSFL with collaborate in the matches. The SSFL want to keep all their mponey.

I always loved playing at SP, even though at times the field left much to be desired. The advantage of SP and the Velodrome is location. Both are down town stadiums. Taxis drop you right by the stadiums. You leave the stadiums and you could walk to get a bite somewhere and then catch a taxi to go home where ever that is.

SP is a multi-purpose facility. I more worried about the fetes and Carnival shows. Those activities does screw up the playing surface. I would like for them to put turf field on both the Velodrome and SP. And also have proper covering of the field when they have big fetes. and concert. I have only been to HCS, and the atmosphere nice when that full to capacity. But SP has one of the nicest atmosphere for football in TT.

Best two game I ever play atmosphere wise was in Skinner Park. I was left in awe.. didn't know football coulda be like that until I went down south de first.

The closest I experience that in town and is a distant third was PSA grounds. The stadium does be dead vibes and I never get to play in the Oval.

Skinner Park was great, the field was alway terrible - but great vibes. I've actually seen games there back in the day when even the cycling track and all was full. Great venue...

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
Spend a lil money and put in a artificial nah..football playin right thru..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
Excellent memories for me at Skinner  Park : the cycling, north south clashes, intercol games and yes I  played  for  St.Johns College against St.Stephens  college fromPrincess Town at Skinner Park 1971. 1970 I played for then Greyhound Dovers- our home  field wasSkinnerPark. Bring back the glory days of football to the south. Revive thePark.

This panty politics running the country would sooner build  cricket grounds on Couva than upgrade our facilities. Shame shame

You played for Dovers? That was an all round sports club at one time. They had an excellent basketball team at one time. They also had a track and field team too. I played against them in Valencia in 75 or 76. Nice team.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:19:09 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
dem pics ah de park bring back real memories..

1975: North vs South, actually it was North and East Zone combined vs South ZoneS and Central Zone combined.

de park was rammed, sellout crowd.

we (s/c) beat n/e 5-3.

we drop 5 on the great Spiderman Carter.

Rudy Howell (from central zone) score about 2 or 3 in that game.

yeah, i is one them dem fellas who born before 1970 !!

Rudy Howell from Caroni was pretty good player. Very, Very quick forward. Played a couple times for TT. Played with Coops. Think he is in NY.

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Went to the South zone final last night. Skinner Park is a mess, no stands, bad field, no toilets nutten.

Palo Seco won 1-0 vs UTT.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
Bad field, Yes!. How you mean no stands, no toilet!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Skinner's Park
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
Listening to Junior Regallo on WACK radio thisafternoon. And he mentioned that the park configuration will be changed. The main stand will be on the west end of the park. The field would run north-south, and not east-west as before.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2023, 03:18:05 PM »
Downer, UDeCOTT dispute Skinner Park’s suitability
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

OSMOND Downer, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association, and the Port of Spain-based Urban Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) are in a disagreement as to whether Skinner Park is suitable for local 11-a-side adult football matches.

This after an issue arose when the Southern Zone of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) declined to use the facility for the staging of the South Zone final, which will feature traditional rivals St Benedict’s College and Presentation College of San Fernando.

Contacted, SSFL president Merere Gonzales confirmed that the South Zone had considered Skinner Park as a venue, but had issues with both rental cost and the dimensions of the field. This week, when the SSFL stages its Coca-Cola InterCol zonal final, it will not be held at Skinner Park.

“First of all, Skinner Park is a fantastic venue,” Gonzales stated. “We have considered many venues in Trinidad and Tobago, including Skinner Park.”

Gonzales continued: “The measurements, as they are, are not suitable for senior football in the SSFL, including the Premier and the Championship. It will be taken up by the (South) Zone for consideration if they wish for the 13 and Under Boys and Girls, the 15 and Under Girls. The dimensions of the field facilitate for that age group.”

Another stakeholder, the Southern Football Association (SFA), held its season opening at Skinner Park earlier this season. President Dennis Latiff said the main issues for the SFA were the high cost of rental and a safety issue with water pipes close to the field, at either end of the ground.

Latiff has a meeting today at Skinner Park and will remeasure the field with a hope of using the facility in the future. “It (Skinner Park) meets the minimum requirement by FIFA,” Latiff stated, “But international matches cannot be played there.”

The SFA has also been battling to regain the office space it held at Skinner Park, prior to UDeCOTT’s intervention.

“We have been trying to get back our office. The SFA always had our office there (Skinner Park),” explained Latiff. “About the safety issue, we have an idea how we can fix that. The main problem is the cost.”

Downer has sided with the SSFL’s assessment that the ground is too small for senior football.

“The length must be between 100 yards and 120 yards. The width must be between 50 yards and 100 yards. The (FIFA) dimensions are clear,” said Downer.

‘Too small for a recognised game’

“I found it strange that the SSFL would take it upon themselves to say that the field was too small,” Downer stated. “Any competition recognised by the TTFA cannot be played on a field that doesn’t abide within these dimensions,” Downer pointed out, “And if the Skinner Park field is 90 yards long, it is too small for a recognised game,” he further emphasised.

However, UDeCOTT issued a statement, last Thursday, defending its work, indicating that Skinner Park is actually 90 metres long (closer to 100 yards) and not 90 yards.

“The field at Skinner Park surpasses the minimum standard for domestic football games, as set by world football governing body—The International Football Association. The International Football Association Board (IFAB) sets all laws governing the sport of football the world over,” the UDeCOTT communique stated.

“The minimum standard field for domestic games as set by the IFAB is 90m x 45m,” added the UDeCOTT media release issued from Roxanne Stapleton-Whymms, manager corporate communication and marketing.

FIFA regulations allow for some flexibility with regards to pitch size. FIFA dictates that a football pitch must be a maximum of 120 metres (130 yards) long and 90 metres wide (100 yards). A pitch can be a minimum dimension 90 metres long and 45 metres wide.

Based on FIFA guidelines, the English Football Association (FA) set the minimum dimension for 11-a-side football as 90 metres long (100 yds) x 45 metres (50 yds) wide.

The English FA also states that the maximum size of the playing field must be 120m (130 yds) long and 90m (100yds) wide. The playing area must be also rectangular.

According to UDeCOTT’s release, they have marginally surpassed those guidElines at Skinner Park. It added: “The Field at Skinner Park has dimensions of 90m x 50m—five metres more than the minimum required. Furthermore, the 90m x 50m dimensions have always been the dimensions of the Skinner Park field.”

UDeCOTT pointed out that the most noted change to the ground was the direction in which football was played, and also its overall improvement of the facility. The facility has a capacity for 6,000 patrons. It consists of a covered pavilion consisting of 3,000 seats and two uncovered pavilions of 1,500 seats each.

“Several stakeholders found improvements made at Skinner Park with its refurbishment, which vastly benefited them all, including the local governing bodies for netball, tennis, cycling and culture, as Skinner Park, as a multi-purpose facility, is used by them all,” the release added.

Upcoming Cola-Cola InterCol matches:

TODAY

(Central Zone)

Chaguanas North Secondary vs Miracle Ministries PHS 3.30 p.m., Edinburgh 500

TOMORROW

(East Zone)

San Juan North Secondary vs Arima North Secondary 3.30 p.m., Larry Gomes Stadium

WEDNESDAY

(Tobago Zone)

Speyside High vs Signal Hill, 5.15 p.m., Dwight Yorke Stadium

THURSDAY

(North Zone)

St Anthony’s College vs Queen’s Royal College, 4.15 p.m., Hasely Crawford

Friday

(South Zone)

Presentation College vs St Benedict’s College, 4.15 p.m., Mahaica Oval
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2023, 07:15:36 PM »
What the hell wrong or right with these pee-pull ? >:(

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2023, 03:27:53 PM »
Deeks,Didn't know you played football in south,I have probably seen you,I lived in Cross Crossing just a minute away from S.P.i spent all my youth in SP, my team was Juniors I recall players like Peggy Lynch E.Crawford,Val Turton,Trevor Leacock,Denis Turton(Bellys).I played every sport there Basket Ball,football,cricket,my parents couldn't deal with me and sent me to England where my brother lived.
I once climbed over the fence on the side where the Coco Cola factory was,I was just 11 the police caught me and made me climb back over,the police got a proper cussing from the crowd. ;D

PS.I forgot to mention that I also played Netball with with the young women,when they needed and extra person to fill in till most of the girls came,I can remember one name Nancy Seales.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 03:34:21 PM by frico »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2023, 09:55:47 AM »
Play a football match at Skinner Park
By Khamarie Rodriguez (T&T Express)

‘Let us play a match at Skinner Park.’

This was the suggestion of Oropouche East Member of Parliament Roodal Moonilal yesterday, following responses to his claim that the San Fernando park could not be used for sporting events after being refurbished by the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) earlier this year.

Speaking at a United National Congress (UNC) news conference yesterday, Moonilal said that the San Fernando business community has offered to sponsor a friendly match between St Benedict’s College and Presentation College at the park, should it be approved by the contractor.

“They are offering to pay small fees to the players and offering both schools a small donation for their building funds. We have sponsors for a St Benedict’s-Presentation match, a rematch for the final of South Zone but on one condition. We will sponsor this, but it has to be played in Skinner Park in San Fernando.”

“If you can tell us we can use Skinner Park to play a friendly match where the schools will benefit from a donation to their building funds, the players will get a small fee so there are incentives to play that match, we will play it at Skinner Park. I bet you Noel Garcia will indicate that they cannot play a secondary School match at Skinner Park,” he said.

Last Monday, Moonilal had called for a probe into the park, which was handed over to the San Fernando City Corporation in February of this year. He said that football matches could not be played at the venue despite the million-dollar revamp undertaken by the UDeCOTT.

UDeCOTT responds

In response to Moonilal, UDeCOTT chairman Noel Garcia had referred to his statement as reckless and outrageous, adding that the Corporation was willing to offer the MP maths lessons, “since he does not seem to be able to count”.

The UDeCOTT last week issued a statement refuting Moonilal’s allegations, stating that the redevelopment of Skinner Park had been done to internationally recognised specifications set by the International Football Association (IFA).

The minimum standard field for domestic games as set by the IFA’s board, it said, is 90m x 45m. The field at Skinner Park has dimensions of 90m x 50m—five metres more than the minimum required, said the UDeCOTT. And this dimension, it said, had always been the Park’s field size.

“The only change in the Field at Skinner Park that came with its refurbishment was the change in its directional orientation, to prevent direct sunlight in the eyes of goal-keepers—an improvement, which found great favour with stakeholder, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, during construction phase Stakeholder Meetings,” said the UDeCOTT.

Speaking yesterday, Moonilal said that he had not been the first to raise concerns on the Park’s field size. Referee Osmond Downer, president of the Trinidad and Tobago referee association, had stated that the field’s size had been reduced following the works done.

“Do you know they issue a statement to attack me? UDeCOTT issued a statement dated December 6, 2023. They quoted all the figures to say I was wrong, and the ground can host matches and cycling and track and field. Mr Downer himself in an article in the online newspaper said that they changed the field to smaller so today you cannot play adult football at Skinner Park,” he said.

Moonilal held up an alleged satellite image of the Park and said that its 18-yard box appeared to be ‘extremely close to its touchline’.

“The globally acclaimed footballers of this nation Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, many of them played football in Skinner Park in San Fernando. It is the Mecca of Intercol. Recently when there was a match between Presentation College and St Benedict’s in San Fernando, for what is called the South Zone Intercol Final, they had to go to Point Fortin to play that.”

First time in history we played the South Zone in Point Fortin, but it cannot play in Skinner Park which we had to pay $147 million for it to be redone. This is where we are. We have a solution to the problem; either you believe what the people are saying, or you believe UDeCOTT,” he added.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 05:39:43 PM by Tallman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2023, 12:25:49 PM »
What wrong with Manny Ramjohn ? We have too many that we don't what todo. What about Guaracara Park ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2023, 04:52:04 PM »
A superior Skinner Park for football
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: It was with a heavy sigh of relief that sporting fans welcomed the announcement of football at Skinner Park following inspection of the venue by the authorities.

Following this, quite coincidentally, the TPFL announced a tier two fixture between San Fernando Giants and Club Sando, home venues of both clubs and equivalent to a local derby, played there Saturday.

The SFA also fixtured a Big 6 play-off there last Friday, an early Christmas gift.

This has brought the opposing charges and opinions of the park into a finality, football wise. The new venue is quite superior in many ways to what existed before and Udecott seems to have adhered to requirements for the needed use of the park, which it claim was done in consultation and agreement with stakeholders, which has not been denied to date.

It may be useful to look at what Skinner Park has meant to the city, region and country over the years.

As the only venue of the original SAFA (Southern Amateur Football Association), changed to SFA, when our pioneering professional players, among them Archibald and De Leon (names immortalised in the naming of the new highway section to Point Fortin), would not have been able to play in our domestic competitions.

For many years it was the nursery of many a player and referee, of which I was one.

Spectators at Skinner Park were the most knowledgeable in the country and formed opinions and assessments accordingly. They were a "useful stress factor" to your performance as a referee. It was there that budding south referees were noticed.

The park is therefore now approved for SSFL games as well, and the recent situation of two schools from San Fernando playing an Intercol final outside of the city will not recur. We recall easily the most famous national Intercol final between St Benedict's and Fatima mid-1960s there, with the largest crowd ever for such an occasion.

It was also the first floodlit ground in the country, thanks to the drive and initiative of the late John Alleyne, after whom something meaningful in Skinner Park should be named.

LENNOX SIRJUESINGH

former FIFA referee

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
I really want to see a picture that shows the 10-yard hash mark for corner kicks and where it is in relation to the penalty area
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2024, 06:54:51 PM »
Inaugural San Fernando Mayor's Cup kicks off on April 5
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

The first-ever Mayor’s Cup Football Tournament kicks off at Skinner Park in San Fernando from April 5 and runs until April 9.

Four teams will vie for the inaugural title – last year’s Southern Football Association (SFA) winners and runner-up La Brea Pitchmen and Moruga Samba Youths respectively, a Tobago representative XI and the Trinidad and Tobago U20 men’s team.

Each team plays their opponent once and the winner will be decided via round robin. There will be double-headers on April 5, 7 and 9. The games will either be televised or broadcast live online.

Alderman Daniel Dookie, who is also city council chairman of sport and youth affairs, believes the Mayor’s Cup is another step towards the achievement of a multiplicity of sport objectives for San Fernando.

“We will continue to utilise Skinner Park, with football this time, and use sport in the city for development of young people and the community,” Dookie said at Friday’s launch at City Hall.

Last weekend, the council, led by mayor Robert Parris, joined forces with the Southern Games committee, National Association of Athletics Administrations and TT Cycling Federation, to host the revival of Southern Games at the venue.

For the Mayor’s Cup, Parris has included SFA president Denis Latiff to help manage the tournament. Latiff was pleased to bring football back to the venue.

“We’re bringing Skinner Park back to life again, considering all the great matches that have played before,” he said.

Latiff added that the Mayor’s Cup kicks off a busy schedule of sporting events at the facility for this year. He dubbed the launch a restart of football in south, which precedes the annual SFA senior and junior tournaments.

Parris added that the first-time competition was initially intended to feature a US-based team, but scheduling conflict couldn’t make it happen. However, the organisers still plan to invite representatives with the hope that some of them can still make it.

“Once these overseas players come, we intend to engage these teams to see if there is a partnership that can be formed,” Parris said. “It was our intention to facilitate teams from aboard, more so to provide opportunities to the younger players, and for them to be guided to scholarships abroad. Hopefully by second edition we could have that up and running.”

Also, part of the organising committee is former Point Fortin mayor Francis Bertrand, who also has a rich history in the southern city, as an ex-standout Secondary Schools Football League player for Presentation College, San Fernando.

Speaking as vice president of the World Conference of Mayors responsible for the Caribbean, Bertrand endorsed the project and commended Parris’ team for their vision.

“Through my organisation, we are going to work together to help develop this product and have a greater foreign input next year and use this project as a stepping stone in San Fernando for youths with potential,” he said.

The tournament is being sponsored by the National Gas Company and the National Lotteries Control Board.

Admission to matches is $40 for adults and $20 for children.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2024, 07:50:34 AM »
Opening Mayor’s Cup win for Tobago, National U-20s
T&T Express

The National Under-20 men’s football team and a Tobago X1 both emerged winners on Friday’s opening night of the San Fernando Mayor’s Cup at Skinner Park.

The Tobago representative team were 4-1 winners over Morgua Samba Youths, while a lone Abayomi George goal gave the National Under-20 team a 1-0 win over South champions Pitchmen of La Brea. Careless defending saw George strip the last defender of the ball and score from close-up in just the 15th minute for the only goal of the match.

Meanwhile, Samba Youths led 1-0 from Emmanuel Bain’s 26th minute back post tap-in, but were level at 1-1 in the 33rd minute Darreon Moses headed in Miguel George’s in-curling corner-kick for the Tobago side.

Tobago were ahead at 2-1 three minutes into first half added-on time, with Keanu Boatswain tapping in a gift at the far post. A Samba Youths defensive mix-up saw both defender and goalkeeper leaving the ball for each other, allowing an opponent to gather and find Boatswain free on the far post.

Moses Bernard shot low across the penalty area, wrong-footing the goalkeeper for 3-1 in the 70th minute, and Omar Daniel got a fourth in the 87th minute, running into the left side of the penalty area under pressure, but finishing with a straight, low shot.

The competition continues this afternoon with first round winners Tobago and the National Under-20s clashing at Skinner Park from 6 p.m., followed by a South derby between Pitchmen and Samba Youths. These two teams ended the 2023 SFA season Big Six tied on points, before Pitchmen were declared back-to-back champions on goal-difference.

RESULTS:

Tobago 4 (Darreon Moses, Keanu Boatswain, Moses Bernard, Omar Daniel) Moruga Samba Youths 1 (Emmanuel Bain 26th)

T&T U20 (Abayomi George) Pitchmen F.C. 0

SAN FERNANDO MAYOR’S CUP STANDINGS:

TEAMS P W D L GF GA GD PTS

Tobago Rep. 1 1 1 0 0 4 1 +3

T&T U20 1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3

Pitchmen F.C. 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0

Mor/Tab Samba Youths 1 0 0 1 1 4 -3 0

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2024, 01:16:29 PM »
Under-20s win San Fernando Mayor’s Cup
T&T Express

ANDELL FRASER was named Man-of-the-Match as the Trinidad and Tobago national Under-20 football team rallied from two goals down to defeat Samba Youths 4-3, on the way to winning the inaugural San Fernando Mayor’s Cup.

The junior Soca Warriors played unbeaten over the three days of the competition at Skinner Park, but suffered a scare when they were down 3-1 to 2023 South Football Association (SFA) league runners-up Samba Youth, before scoring three goals in the final quarter-hour.

Likewise, a Tobago X1 also had to come from a goal down against reigning South champions Pitchmen to win 3-1 and finish second overall, when scoring their second win in three matches. The Tobagonians’ only loss came 2-1 against the national youths on Sunday, while the two South teams finished with a single point each, from a 1-1 draw against each other on Sunday.

SAN FERNANDO MAYOR’S CUP RESULTS

Tuesday

T&T U20 4 (Levi Jones, J’Lon Matthews, Theo Crovador, Andell Fraser)
Samba Youths 3 (Nikel Rawlins, Rayon Alleyne, Stevon Thomas)

Tobago Rep. 3 (Zyon Makoul, Kaieem Lewis, Nave Roach) Pitchmen F.C. 1 (Shaquille John)

AWARDS

Most Goals: Andell Fraser (T&T U20), Shaquille John (Pitchmen F.C.)

MVP: Andell Fraser – T&T U20

2024 SAN FERNANDO MAYOR’S CUP STANDINGS

TEAMS P W D L GF GA GD PTS

T&T U-20 3 3 0 0 7 4 +3 9

Tobago Rep. XI 3 2 0 1 8 4 +4 6

Pitchmen F.C. 3 0 1 2 2 5 -3 1

Moruga/Tableland Samba Youths 3 0 1 2 5 9 -4 1

1]; } ?>