April 29, 2024, 08:03:02 PM

Author Topic: Stoke City to offer forward Kenwyne Jones new contract  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stoke City to offer forward Kenwyne Jones new contract
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
Stoke City to offer forward Kenwyne Jones new contract
By John Percy (The Telegraph)

Mark Hughes is set to offer Kenwyne Jones a new contract in a bid to prevent the forward from leaving next summer on a free transfer.

Hughes, the Stoke City manager, has made keeping Jones a priority and negotiations are expected to start later this month, with the £8 million forward understood to be keen on extending his stay at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke had considered selling the Trinidad and Tobago international in this summer's transfer window amid concerns that he would not sign a new contract but the departure of Tony Pulis has reinvigorated Jones.

The 28-year-old only made 12 starts last season under Pulis and was considering his future until the appointment of Hughes in May.

Hughes has opted for Jones in the last three games ahead of record signing Peter Crouch and the striker's future will be high on the agenda in a scheduled meeting with the Stoke board after this Sunday's trip to Arsenal.

Jones has less than 12 months remaining on his current deal but is likely to be offered a three-year extension to take him into his 30s.

It will complete a remarkable turnaround for the former Sunderland star, who was also embroiled in unsavoury headlines towards the end of last season when he reacted furiously after discovering a pig's head in his locker.

Jack Butland, the England goalkeeper, is also set to have his future discussed as Stoke prepare to loan him out to a Championship club.

Butland, 20, is keen to play regular football to enhance his development and Sheffield Wednesday have shown interest but there are doubts over how much they are prepared to put towards his wages.

Ideally, Stoke will want the £3.5m signing to receive guarantees that he plays every week and a move is likely within the next month.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke City to offer forward Kenwyne Jones new contract
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
Don't do it, time to leave that club. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
and where he go goe Preacher...Crystal Palace or QPR?? leh he stay right dey and humble heself
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »
Hopefully a couple other clubs want him just as bad.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:19 AM »
Nobody really clamoring for him at de moment. Pulis do damage to de man reputation and career. Man steady benching and playing pigeon minutes. Which means 1.) he was out of the shop window 2.) when his record say x-amount of games without goals, nobody studying 'games' mean 10-15 minutes.

Swansea didn't even think he worth more than 2 million. This is the season to prove himself to other teams, if he really looking to move.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
Kenwayne will be at or around the prem level for the next 8 years.

He is a big strong forward good with headers who is good for a goal every 3 games on average.

Goal scores always get picked up

whether he bench or play who game as long as he score once in a while somebody will be willing to take a chance and give him a contract .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
Kenwyne will always have work in England... or at least for the next 5-7 years, barring injury.  He's too big and talented not to.  Now whether all of that will be in the Prem is another story.  I with Preacher that he should overs Stoke and ply his trade elsewhere.  He should really buckle down this season and try and prove himself then test free agency in the off-season.  I like Bruce, but there's no guarantee that his situation will improve.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
It have a lot of f#cked up coaches in the prem not just Pulis. Best KJ sign a nice contract and relax heself where he is. Might be his last big one.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Kenwyne will always have work in England... or at least for the next 5-7 years, barring injury.  He's too big and talented not to.  Now whether all of that will be in the Prem is another story.  I with Preacher that he should overs Stoke and ply his trade elsewhere.  He should really buckle down this season and try and prove himself then test free agency in the off-season.  I like Bruce, but there's no guarantee that his situation will improve.

You mean Hughes, right?

I think, given that no one was really banging down the door looking for him, he might as well sign the new contract. However, that shouldn't stop him from really buckling down this season. If he does really well a new team will come calling and will pay the $ anyway. And he'll be in a better bargaining position with regards to his wages at the new club if he has a long term contract as opposed to him going in as a free agent.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

You mean Hughes, right?

I think, given that no one was really banging down the door looking for him, he might as well sign the new contract. However, that shouldn't stop him from really buckling down this season. If he does really well a new team will come calling and will pay the $ anyway. And he'll be in a better bargaining position with regards to his wages at the new club if he has a long term contract as opposed to him going in as a free agent.

Yeah, Hughes is who I meant.  No one was banging down the door because he wasn't playing and wasn't scoring.  Liverpool paid 15m for Sturridge in January, what yuh think his value will be come this January... having scored 14 goals in 18 appearances since then?  Kenwyne on a tear right now... if he keeps producing clubs will come calling in January and after the season.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

You mean Hughes, right?

Yeah, Hughes is who I meant.  No one was banging down the door because he wasn't playing and wasn't scoring.  Liverpool paid 15m for Sturridge in January, what yuh think his value will be come this January... having scored 14 goals in 18 appearances since then?  Kenwyne on a tear right now... if he keeps producing clubs will come calling in January and after the season.
Agreed but he has to keep scoring for Stoke. Scoring for T&T isn't going to get him anywhere over there. And other than that hattrick against a team from a lower division I don't think he's scored much for them recently.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
Stoke playing some decent football courtesy of Hughes and KJ is playing with a renew sense of confidence. He was rumored to go to a team in Russia (or Turkey) so it looked like no PL team was looking his way (I could be wrong). Best he stay where his bread is buttered.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mark Hughes cool on Kenwyne Jones contract talks
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
Mark Hughes cool on Kenwyne Jones contract talks
By Martin Spinks (The Sentinel)

MARK Hughes has played down reports of imminent talks with striker Kenwyne Jones over a new contract.

But he certainly hasn't ruled out the possibility of a new deal in the near future to prevent the spectre of losing the big Trindadian for nothing when he becomes a free agent next summer.

"It's early days yet," said Hughes this afternoon, "but obviously I'm aware of his contract situation.

"It's important we just concentrate on winning football matches at this time.

"Contract talks will happen when they need to."

Hughes did acknowledge that Jones has found a second wind after a long spell out of favour before the Welshman's arrival as manager.

"Kenwyne is playing really well and giving me a good presence, he's just not scoring the goals at the moment.

"But I'm sure if we continue to create chances he will score.

"He's one of those who if he does score, he can then go on a bit of a run."

Hughes said he had just one slight injury doubt after an incident involving midfielder Charlie Adam this morning.

"Charlie Adam cut his leg today which needed stitches," he revealed, "but it was just a bang in training and I don't anticipate there will be an issue for him."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Crystal Palace eye up Kenwyne Jones for January swoop
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Crystal Palace eye up Kenwyne Jones for January swoop
By Martin Spinks (The Sentinel)

CRYSTAL Palace are reportedly ready to swoop for Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones in the January transfer window.

They apparently see him as the answer to Palace's goalscoring woes - even though he has yet to prove he is the answer to Stoke's.

Jones is out of contract and therefore available on a free next summer, so Stoke would be all ears if they can pocket a fee for him in January.

Palace are in dire straits after last night's 4-1 home defeat by Fulham left them with just one win and seven defeats in the first eight games of their Premier League return.

It remains to be seen if Ian Holloway is even in charge at Palace come January after further rumblings about his future last night following a lengthy after-match meeting with one of the club's co owners.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
If KJ go Crystal Palace it might well be the end of his Premiership career.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
The grass always look great on the other side,that is until you get there and the politics start staring you in the face
I say stay put and buckle down K J

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
The grass always look great on the other side,that is until you get there and the politics start staring you in the face
I say stay put and buckle down K J
If the money is fair, the contract long and the play is more regular, than at present..it's an option, rather than no play, no contract, looking for work...remember SJ cketchin hell to get a new contract ?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
Managers aren't as naive to look at just goals these days you hope - Kenwyne Jones suits perfectly teams playing a lone forward with attacking wingers, or wanting a big man-little man formation. Heskey was at the top teams for years and lord knows he was awful at scoring goals lol

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
That,s why I said politics,I have noticed in many sporting disciplines,you are spoken highly of when you are being persued and most often than not negatively,when you are on your way out
Its time for KJ th have a statement season and cash in on his potential

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
I don't think KJ will be going to Crystal Palace  ;D

Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish keen to speak to Tony Pulis

www.skysports.com
Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish has not yet contacted Tony Pulis about their vacant manager's position but admitted he is almost certain to be in touch with him.

Former Stoke boss Pulis has emerged as the frontrunner to take over at Selhurst Park in the wake of Ian Holloway's departure.

Parish is keen to talk to the experienced campaigner, who has never managed a club relegated from the Premier League, but he was keen to stress Palace are keeping their options open.

"We haven't contacted him (Pulis) yet but I think we will have a chat with him, definitely, if indeed he is interested," Parish told Sky Sports News.

"I don't know if he is. His name keeps being mentioned but he may be happy with whatever else he is doing.

"We've got a long list we have made, hopefully with everybody and anybody on it. We will start contacting people who are out of work and try to arrange some time to see them.

"But we will have conversations with all the usual suspects, all the obvious candidates, and maybe some not so obvious.

"We will try and make a quick decision but we will try and make a right decision."

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
Hahahahahaa that wld be something...pulis...jones..crystal palace
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

1]; } ?>