April 16, 2024, 04:10:36 AM

Author Topic: NO WILD MEAT  (Read 1790 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NO WILD MEAT
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
Hunting ban starts Oct 1
By DARCEL CHOY Thursday, September 19 2013

A hunting moratorium will take effect from October 1 for two years in order to protect the country’s wildlife from becoming extinct.

Environment Minister Ganga Singh revealed this yesterday after commissioning the Chin Chin road pipeline project in Cunupia.

His announcement follows a few days of protests by hunters outside the Forestry Division, Long Circular. They have called on the minister to confirm whether there will be a hunting season this year because many of them were waiting to purchase their licences. The hunters said when they attempted to purchase licences they were told by an official they were not selling any at that point.

Singh yesterday said the hunters could not get their licences if a moratorium was coming.

“The hunters, have a self interest. They say that wild meat is organic meat, the fact of the matter is, the numbers of hunters have increased dramatically. If this over-harvesting does not stop; if we do not put an end, or ensure that people who engage in this activity are stopped, then we would lead to the elimination of several species in this country,” he said.

These species include the agouti, lappe, deer and quenk (wild hog).

He said once the moratorium was put in place, a baseline study would be done in consultation with the University of the West Indies to determine how many animals per square kilometre there are in the country.

In addition to that, Singh said they were looking at increasing the penalties for breaches of the Conservation of Wildlife Act from a maximum of $2,000 up to between $50,000 to $100,000 together with a term of imprisonment.

He said the ministry was going on an enforcement mechanism increasing the number of Environmental Management Authority (EMA) police officers; increasing the efficiency of the foresters and the rangers so there would be an improvement in enforcement.

The minister noted there were 407 illegal camps set up in forest reserves and sanctuaries, and he was currently engaging the national security forces to have them removed.

Singh said the ministry was also teaming up with the Zoological Society, the Ministry of Food Production and the Forestry Department, and was looking at going into commercial wildlife farming. He said the funding for that project will be accessed through the Green Fund.

Buddie Miller, official delegate of the Confederation of Hunters’ Associations for Conservation, in response to the minister’s announcement said once Singh makes an official statement, they will test the legality of his decision.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: NO WILD MEAT
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
real front-to-back.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
They killing them out
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
i have manicou and guana in meh freezer right now,it come up saturday all de way from grande....waiting on the right time to heat it up....this is my fine wine.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
Well at least there's no law against someone 'defending' themselves against a deer or manicou, resulting in killing and cooking the thing afterwards.

Technically I was simply 'defending' myself from the wild animal, and simply removed their remains to the privacy of my KITCHEN!  ;D 
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
i have manicou and guana in meh freezer right now,it come up saturday all de way from grande....waiting on the right time to heat it up....this is my fine wine.

when we makin a cook?   ;D  ah guh bring de scotch, single malt
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »
De only place wild meat belong is in a pot!
Kill and cook them all!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »
Its about time...

And I hope they really take action on these hunters.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>