April 17, 2024, 07:44:59 PM

Author Topic: Latest News on our T&T sprint queens Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett  (Read 7126 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/RESTRAINT-OF-TRADE-224516571.html

Seems as if the NAAA was preventing a possible lawsuit by allowing Hackett to run.. One reason why AR needs to hush.

Not picking Hackett for Worlds could have landed NAAA in court

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Sep 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM ECT
The National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) might have faced a restraint of trade lawsuit had the organisation not selected Semoy Hackett for last month’s World Championships in Moscow, Russia.
Hackett’s attorney, Michael S Straubel could have exercised that option had the Trinidad and Tobago sprinter been barred from competing at the June 21-23 National Championships—the qualifying meet for Worlds.
Originally, Hackett’s entry for the National Championships was not accepted by the NAAA since the sport’s local governing body believed she was under suspension.  However, on June 19, in an e-mail letter to the NAAA, Straubel challenged that decision. Referring to a letter from the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the attorney made the point that Hackett was free to compete.
Hackett had tested positive for Methylhexaneamine at the 2012 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships, in Iowa, USA. The Louisiana State University (LSU) sprinter was provisionally suspended by the NAAA disciplinary panel. Later, however, that panel lifted the suspension. But with the IAAF Doping Review Board considering an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the NAAA was under the impression that Hackett was re-suspended.
In response to Straubel’s letter, the NAAA sent an e-mail to IAAF Medical & Anti-Doping Department Results Manager Thomas Capdevielle, enquiring about Hackett’s status. Capdevielle confirmed that the sprinter was not suspended and eligible to compete at the T&T Championships. He did say, however, that she would be “well advised to refrain from competing until the outcome of the disciplinary procedure”.
Hackett, who had served a six-month ban after a positive test in 2011, also for  Methylhexaneamine, opted to run at the 2013 National Championships. She finished second in the women’s 200m final and fourth in the 100m final, qualifying for the World Championships in both events.
Hackett was selected on the T&T team for Worlds, but while she was in Moscow the IAAF lodged an appeal with the CAS. The 24-year-old sprinter was re-suspended before stepping on the track, and she subsequently left the Championships.
In the closing paragraph of Straubel’s June 19 letter to the NAAA, the Indiana-based lawyer said: “As you know, and Ms Hackett has asked me to stress, the national championship this weekend, as the qualifying meet for the World Championships, are critical to her career. It is very important that she be allowed to compete.”
Straubel did not respond to questions about the possibility of a restraint of trade case being brought against the NAAA had the organisation refused to allow Hackett to compete at the National Championships or not selected her for the World Championships.
The attorney explained that “Ms Hackett has requested that we not make public statements regarding her case.”
But local sports lawyer, Stefan Fabien expressed the view that a restraint of trade case was one of the available legal remedies had Hackett been excluded from the National Championship meet or omitted from the World Championship team.
“Ms Hackett is a professional track athlete; that is her trade. Additionally, there is judicial support for the view that where a person’s right to work is in issue, a decision of a domestic tribunal, such as is the NAAA, could be the subject of judicial scrutiny.
“On the basis of the facts in the public domain, I am of the view that her lawyer would have reserved all his client’s rights, in order to prevent the NAAA from denying both her entry to compete at the Nationals and by extension, the World Championships; having particular regard to the potential loss of lucrative appearance fees likely to be secured at the prestigious World Championships.”
Hackett was eighth in the women’s 200m final at the 2012 Olympic Games, in London, England. At the 2013 World Championships, athletes finishing eighth in individual events each received US$4,000.
Fabien told the Express that filing an injunction was one of the options available to Hackett’s legal representatives had the NAAA insisted on keeping her out of the National Championships.
“Such rights include, but would not have been limited to: seeking a declaration that the NAAA’s decision not to allow her to compete was null and void, and/or seeking an injunction restraining the NAAA from excluding her from competing at the trials.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hackett
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
So what is the situation with Swmoy and Kelly-Ann? I see Veronica CB got a reprieve!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Latest News on our T&T sprint queens Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
They each hold our women's national sprint records for the 100m and 200m respectively.

http://www.ttnaaa.org/compete/records/women.html

RECORDS

Event   Result   Athlete   Meet   Date

1   100m   10.83 (w 1.6)   Kelly-Ann Baptiste Port of Spain 22 June 2013
2   200m   22.55 (w 0.2)   Semoy Hackett   Jacksonville   26 May 2012

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Come on folks we need to hear some news?

What is the word from our NAAATT or even from Ato?

At least give us something for the interest of their concerned fans.

Why all this silence?! Why allyuh treating we so?!!  :frustrated:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:48:36 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Pro, you right about this. What the hell wrong with these friggin' people. When they go be ready, 2016. Come out give us the BLASTED news, good or bad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:24:55 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I heard one of KABs sample was not positive.
If thats the case, she should be running soon.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I heard one of KABs sample was not positive.
If thats the case, she should be running soon.
Could be just rumor if we can't get official word plus at any rate the IAAF has to give her permission to compete again after reviewing the evidence.

We need to hear something officially, its too long now and they shouldn't treat us fans like this with the long silence since world champs last year.

Also we need an update on Hackett also.

Kelly Ann Baptiste In Drug Test Scandal
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/74dQwQbWXXo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/74dQwQbWXXo</a>

Disbelief, heartbroken and confused was just some of the immediate emotions that infiltrated the Track and Field arena as news of T&T's sprint queen Kelly Ann Baptiste alleged, failed drug test broke this morning.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:38:02 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bump!  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If there is no verdict. Doh say anything. Frm now on is  >:(

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:09:32 PM by Socapro »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is related: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140428/sports/sports4.html

Gay's Case Could Be Resolved Soon
Published: Monday | April 28, 2014
Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

Word could be coming soon as to the fate of American sprinter Tyson Gay. Gay failed an out-of-competition test in May last year, and again at the American national championships, as he attempted to gain selection to the US team to the 14th IAAF World Athletic Championships in Moscow, Russia.

News of Gay's positive test surfaced on July 14, 2013, the same day news broke that five Jamaican athletes, including Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson, had returned adverse findings following drug tests conducted at the Jamaican national championships in June that year. All but one of the Jamaican athletes have had their matters resolved, with Powell and Simpson receiving 18-month suspensions. They had tested positive for the stimulant Oxilofrine.

LONG PROCESS

In that 10-month span, Gay's situation is yet to be resolved, but that could change sometime soon.

"It has been a long process, so I think it is nearing a conclusion," Gay's agent, Mark Wetmore, said on Nationwide radio recently. "Let's hope that in the coming days or weeks, we will all know where this one stands."

Media reports had linked Gay with Dr Clayton Gibson III from an anti-aging clinic in Atlanta, Georgia. Those reports said Gay had been receiving treatments from the doctor, and that the American 100-metre record holder and the second-fastest man in history was using a cream containing testosterone, DHEA and growth hormones, all banned substances.

After news of the failed tests emerged, Gay said: "I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games. I don't have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone, and I was let down."

Thanks Ato! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:10:54 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So Tyson's case has been resolved.

What's the delay with us hearing about KAB's and Semoy's cases from our NAAA.

It's now almost a year since they both withdrew from the World Champs and yet no news.

What is our NAAA doing and do they really care about looking after our athletes when they need their support the most?

The fans need to know and I am sure both ladies would like to have dates of when they can get back into competition rather than having their careers on hold for so long with no news or decision from the NAAA.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This really is taking too long. I'm unsure as to why it's being dealt with at such a sluggish pace. We need them on the team esp as MLA is starting to grow.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hackett suspended till May 2015 but no decision yet on Baptiste
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:26 AM »
Hackett suspended but no decision on Baptiste
Thursday, May 29 2014 (T&T Newsday)

DISGRACED TRINIDAD and Tobago athlete Semoy Hackett has been suspended but there is no decision yet on fellow 100-metre and 200m sprinter Kelly-Ann Baptiste, over failed drug tests on the eve of the 2013 IAAF World Athletic Championships in Moscow, Russia, according to a report on the C News sportscast last night.

The 26-year-old Hackett, competing for the Louisiana State University, had tested positive for a banned stimulant methylhexaneamine at the 2012 NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships in June.

Ironically, Hackett ran a relay at the 2011 IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, but was retrospectively disqualified and banned for six months because of a failed drugs test for methylhexaneamine at the National Championships.

The 2012 ban was lifted by the NAAA (National Association of Athletics Administration) last year, and Hackett competed at the 2013 National Championships. She subsequently earned selection on the national team for the World Champs in Russia.

NAAA president Ephraim Serrette stated in the news report that there was an out-of-court resolution and Hackett has received a suspension.

“Her matter was sent to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) and I think in February, it was settled out of court,” said Serrette. “We should have a release coming out. I think she has been given a two-year sanction, back-dated from the day of the (NCAA) suspension.”

Hackett is expected to make a return to competitive action in May 2015.

Serrette continued, “the situation with Kelly Ann — the IAAF had asked us to delay on her hearing (until) some time this month.”

newsday
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:53:07 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So Hackett is suspended until May 2015 but no decision yet on Baptiste.
Sounds a bit harsh but I guess dating back from when she last officially competed last year that would be a 2 years suspension.

Regarding Kelly-Ann Baptiste it sounds like her hearing should be happening some time this month in May and since May is almost finish it means that she should be having her hearing with the NAAA TT this week as the month ends this Saturday.

So we can assume by this weekend or by early next week, we should have some concrete news on Kelly-Ann.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:53:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I dont know why they dragged their foot so long with Hackett. This is the second time so she has been caught with something in her system, so the ban should have been a no-brainer. She is lucky the first one was while in college, so that doesnt count for the IAAF or else it would have been life.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NAAA's official Press Release of the Semoy Hackett anti-doping hearing
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
NAAA's official Press Release of the Semoy Hackett anti-doping hearing.
May 28, 2014
Media Release

The National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) takes this opportunity to address recent queries it received about the status of the Semoy Hackett anti-doping hearing that was due to take place in February of this year at the New York office of the Court of Arbitration for Sport. It was correctly reported in the Trinidad Express that same month, that the Hackett case was settled mere days before the hearing date of February 11, 2014.

The Settlement Agreement between Hackett’s lawyers and those of the International Association of Athletics Administration (IAAF), in consultation with legal counsel for the NAAA, was arrived at after a significant period of discussion by the relevant stakeholders and co-operation by Ms. Hackett. As a result of a confidentiality provision, details of the agreement were never made known to the public and, for the most part, will continue to remain confidential.

Notwithstanding this, the parties have agreed that due to the ongoing queries and in light of public interest considerations it would be appropriate, at least, to disclose the key element of the settlement, which was the period of ineligibility to be served by Ms. Hackett. The sanction accepted by Ms. Hackett was a ban lasting two years and four months ending on April 30, 2015. It means that Ms. Hackett will once again be eligible to compete from May 1, 2015.

The NAAA will continue to play its part in promoting drug-free sport for all athletes and looks forward to the pending operationalization of the Trinidad and Tobago Anti-Doping Organization (TTADO), which was formed pursuant to the Anti-Doping In Sport Act 2013.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hackett banned again
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
Hackett banned again
Story Created: May 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago athlete Semoy Hackett has been suspended from competition until April 30, 2015.

In a press release, issued by National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) public relations officer Peter Samuel, late on Wednesday night, the NAAA said that Hackett has been banned for two years and four months for her second doping offence.

Hackett had served a six-month ban after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine at the 2011 Trinidad and Tobago Championships.

The sprinter tested positive for the same substance in June 2012 at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships, in Iowa, USA. She represented Louisiana State University (LSU) at the NCAA meet.
Hackett’s latest suspension is retroactive, starting from January 1, 2013.

Here is the full NAAA press release:

“The National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) takes this opportunity to address recent queries it received about the status of the Semoy Hackett anti-doping hearing that was due to take place in February of this year at the New York office of the Court of Arbitration for Sport. It was correctly reported in the Trinidad Express, that same month, that the Hackett case was settled mere days before the hearing date of February 11, 2014.

“The Settlement Agreement between Hackett’s lawyers and those of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), in consultation with legal counsel for the NAAA, was arrived at after a significant period of discussion by the relevant stakeholders and co-operation by Ms. Hackett. As a result of a confidentiality provision, details of the agreement were never made known to the public and, for the most part, will continue to remain confidential.

“Notwithstanding this, the parties have agreed that due to the ongoing queries and in light of public interest considerations it would be appropriate, at least, to disclose the key element of the settlement, which was the period of ineligibility to be served by Ms. Hackett. The sanction accepted by Ms. Hackett was a ban lasting two years and four months ending on April 30, 2015. It means that Ms. Hackett will once again be eligible to compete from May 1, 2015.

“The NAAA will continue to play its part in promoting drug-free sport for all athletes and looks forward to the pending operationalisation of the Trinidad and Tobago Anti-Doping Organisation (TTADO), which was formed pursuant to the Anti-Doping In Sport Act 2013.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hackett ban ends in April
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »
Hackett ban ends in April
Published: Friday, May 30, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

T&T runner Semoy Hackett will be eligible to compete in official athletics competitions after her 28-month ban comes to an end in April, next year.

This was confirmed by the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) in a press release, yesterday.

Hackett’s anti-doping hearing was to be heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s New York branch but a settlement was reached between Hackett’s lawyers and those of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in February. Because of a confidentiality provision in the settlement, the NAAA said it was unable to give details apart from when the ban will conclude.

“As a result of a confidentiality provision, details of the agreement were never made known to the public and, for the most part, will continue to remain confidential,” the release, signed by NAAA public relations officer, Peter Samuel, was quoted.

It added: “Notwithstanding this, the parties have agreed that due to the ongoing queries and in light of public interest (and) considerations, it would be appropriate, at least, to disclose the key element of the settlement, which was the period of ineligibility to be served by Ms Hackett.

The sanction accepted by Ms Hackett was a ban lasting two years and four months ending on April 30, 2015. It means that Ms Hackett will once again be eligible to compete from May 1, 2015.

In concluding, the release stated that the NAAA will continue to play its part in promoting drug-free sport for all athletes and said it looks forward to the pending operationalisation of the T&T Anti-Doping Organisation (TTADO), which was formed pursuant to the Anti-Doping In Sport Act 2013. In June, 2012, Hackett tested positive for methylhexaneamine (MHA) at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships. It was the second time Hackett tested positive for MHA.

She served a six-month ban, following the 2011 T&T Championships.

She was then suspended by the NAAA, after the second offense, but the local governing body for athletics lifted the sanction.

Last year, Hackett was scheduled to participate at the World Championships after qualifying from the local championship.

However, she left the competition after the IAAF appealed the NAAA’s decision to allow Hackett to compete. The NAAA was subsequently criticised by Sports Minister Anil Roberts as the matter “brought the country into international disrepute”.

Hackett, 25, represented T&T at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am sure that Hackett also represented us at the 2012 London Olympics as well if my memory serves me correct.

In fact she made the 200m Final.

Here is the video & results.

LONDON 2012 200M WOMEN FINAL
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0tvUQslnII0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0tvUQslnII0</a>
Rank    Athlete    NOC    Result    Notes
1   Allyson FELIX   USA    21.88   
2   Shelly-Ann FRASER-PRYCE   JAM    22.09   
3   Carmelita JETER   USA    22.14   
4   Veronica CAMPBELL-BROWN   JAM    22.38   
5   Sanya RICHARDS-ROSS   USA    22.39   
6   Murielle AHOURE   CIV    22.57   
7   Myriam SOUMARE   FRA    22.63   
8   Semoy HACKETT   TTO    22.87
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:02:51 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is there really a need to post the same thing 3 times?? :-\
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is there really a need to post the same thing 3 times?? :-\
Each article had slightly different information.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't think we seeing kab this year. The ttnaaa will throw the book at her in order to appease the iaaf. The last thing ttnaa want is to get a letter from the iaaf asking them to explain the punishment.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't think we seeing kab this year. The ttnaaa will throw the book at her in order to appease the iaaf. The last thing ttnaa want is to get a letter from the iaaf asking them to explain the punishment.
I suspect that the NAAA plan to give KAB a similar length punishment to what Tyson Gay got but they are waiting to see if the IAAF will okay the punishment that the USADA handed out to Tyson Gay.
I think the IAAF have been looking into TG's punishment to see if the USADA were justified in reducing it to just 1 year in exchange for TG's cooperation and name calling in the matter regards those who ill-advised him.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I could be wrong but I get the impression that what we are focusing on here is when these two athletes can represent us again and not on what it means if they have been found guilty. For those who have not thought much about it what they are accused ...and found guilty of ... is cheating ! ...robbing someone who has put in a lot of work from their rightful place ...

I cannot condone that ...and if you are found out more than once then I think you should be given the opportunity to try something else ...not sports !

I even think of how boleface some folks are when they argue that their sentence was too harsh and therefore not fair ! as if fairness was ever in their minds when they took the decision to cheat.

Just to think of those who claim they were treated too harshly given the sentences meted out to others makes me sick ....I would think if the IaaF or whichever sporting body were to be serious about stamping out illegal drug use that is exactly what they should be doing ...making it such that no one could predict the sentence for illegal drug use based on what went before. In that way no one can work out  the odds they face if caught.

I dont know what the decision is in kelly Anns case but if found guilty I would be too ashamed to consider her next move at this time .

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I could be wrong but I get the impression that what we are focusing on here is when these two athletes can represent us again and not on what it means if they have been found guilty. For those who have not thought much about it what they are accused ...and found guilty of ... is cheating ! ...robbing someone who has put in a lot of work from their rightful place ...

I cannot condone that ...and if you are found out more than once then I think you should be given the opportunity to try something else ...not sports !

I even think of how boleface some folks are when they argue that their sentence was too harsh and therefore not fair ! as if fairness was ever in their minds when they took the decision to cheat.

Just to think of those who claim they were treated too harshly given the sentences meted out to others makes me sick ....I would think if the IaaF or whichever sporting body were to be serious about stamping out illegal drug use that is exactly what they should be doing ...making it such that no one could predict the sentence for illegal drug use based on what went before. In that way no one can work out  the odds they face if caught.

I dont know what the decision is in kelly Anns case but if found guilty I would be too ashamed to consider her next move at this time .
Welcome to the real world Jai.

Athletes have long list of illegal drugs they have to avoid and even have to be concerned about the cough medicine they take, etc for a cold.

Kelly-Ann never had a positive drug result before that incident last year which was the first and only incident of her career.

I believe the incident was related to her being in the same camp as Tyson Gay and possibly getting personally involved with him as male and female athletes training regularly together sometimes do.

I believe Kelly-Ann saw Tyson Gay applying the anti-ageing cream and naively started to use it as well when he assured her it was natural and safe. Kelly-Ann possibly had only been using the anti-ageing cream that TG advised her was safe and natural for about 6 months or so between 2012 and 2013. This is based upon the fact that Tyson didn't start using the cream himself till just before London 2012 Olympics and Kelly-Ann would not have logically started following Tyson and also using the cream until around then or after.

Now based upon the fact that Tyson Gay cooperated fully with the investigation and came up with names etc of others who may have been using the same cream and those who may have been recommending it to other athletes he got his ban reduced from 2 years to 1 year backdated to June 2013.

Now based on all this information if Kelly-Ann cooperated similarly with the USADA's investigation like Tyson did then we could expect her to get a similar punishment to Tyson Gay seeing that she used the same anti-ageing cream that Tyson used.

With all that in mind and also noting that she won no major medals at the London 2012 Olympics, I don't think Kelly-Ann has deprived anyone of any titles even if she had started to use the anti-ageing cream just before the London Olympics like Tyson did.

We will soon find out the official details of Kelly-Ann's punishment but keep in mind she has already been out of competition for a year now and lost all her government funding via TTOC and the NAAA's right after her positive drug test was announcement.

I also heard another rumour that Kelly's B sample was not positive which means she was not guilty of an offense and might have to be compensated for the time she has lost out of competition but that is only a rumour that I won't put too much faith in at this late stage.

Either way I feel sad for what Kelly-Ann has had to go thru in the last year and will welcome her back as she is the best female sprinter we have ever had and she seems to have been unwittingly misled into using the anti-aging cream by certain individuals in Tyson Gay's camp.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:38:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Roberts disappointed Hackett ban kept confidential
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 05:33:53 AM »
Roberts disappointed Hackett ban kept confidential
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Saturday, May 31 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts yesterday declared that all decisions made by both local and international sporting organisations concerning any matter involving this nation’s athletes should be passed on to the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and his ministry since they are the primary financiers of these representatives.

Roberts was speaking in relation to a press release issued by the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) on Wednesday night, which revealed that national sprinter Semoy Hackett received a two-year and four months ban for her second doping offence.

In 2011, Hackett served a six-month ban for testing positive for methylhexaneamine at the National Championships and again returned a positive test for the same substance in June 2012, at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Iowa, USA.

According to the NAAA release, Hackett’s anti-doping hearing with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) was set for February 11 this year but mere days before the hearing, both parties came to a settlement out of court.

The Tobago sprinter began serving her retroactive ban from January 1, 2013, and will once again be eligible to compete from May 1, 2015.

Despite the decision on the ban being made in early February, the NAAA revealed that there was a confidentiality provision in the agreement preventing details being made public but because of queries and public interest considerations the parties have decided to disclose the length of the ban.

However, in an interview with the Minister yesterday, Roberts argued that Hackett’s ban should not be kept a secret.

“The Government of Trinidad and Tobago, the Ministry of Sport or its permanent secretary should be the first ones to know about this settlement which was made approximately three months ago. We are the ones who fund these athletes when they go and represent this nation on the international stage. Why are we now knowing of this decision and settlement made almost three months after?” asked Roberts.

While he admitted that the public also has a timely right to know about situations involving its national sporting representatives, he suggested that all sporting organisations understand the importance of notifying the respective national authorities on issues of such a critical nature.

“We voted unanimously for the anti-doping bill in government so it has the full support of the entire Parliament. But, when we as a government find out the result of such a touchy case months after it has been made, it does not shed a positive light on the situation,” Roberts continued.

The Minister also urged all national sporting organisations to go through all proper protocol and ensure that his ministry is always informed and updated as to whatever decisions are made on TT’s representatives, whether on the local, regional or international stage.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:35:54 AM by Socapro »

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Kelly Ann had her hearing with the NAAATT on Friday last. We should be hearing from them before the Sagicor Nationals.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So how come we haven't heard any news on Kelly-Ann yet?

Come on TOC and NAAA, give us an update and let us know when Kelly-Ann will be officially allowed to compete again.

Tyson Gay is now back and competing so its only fair and logical that we get some news on Kelly-Ann.

1]; } ?>