March 28, 2024, 05:44:18 PM

Author Topic: Cornell Glen’s journey from Carson to the World Cup and beyond  (Read 521 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Where Are They Now: Cornell Glen’s journey from Carson to the World Cup and beyond
By Adam Serrano (LA Galaxy Insider)

The sport of soccer has surely earned nickname “The Beautiful Game,” not simply because the artful tricks that one can perform with the ball, but also the exotic locales that a career in the sport can take you. Former LA Galaxy forward Cornell Glen is a perfect example of this fact, having crisscrossed the globe in search of sporting glory.

The 31-year-old’s club career has taken him from Trinidad and Tobago to MLS and then onto outposts like Vietnam and India, where he currently plays for Shillong Lajong F.C., with countless other destinations along the way. Over the course of his near 15-year professional career, Glen has enjoyed an incredible journey, but no year was more memorable than 2006 when he represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 World Cup. While representing his country that summer in Germany serves as the year’s brightest highlight, it was his performance in the fifth edition of the SuperClasico that truly got the year started for Glen.

In April 2006, the then 24-year-old Glen was acquired by the Galaxy in a trade from the Colorado Rapids. Just days after joining his fifth MLS team in three years, Glen was thrown into the starting XI by then-LA head coach Steve Sampson for his team’s match against Chivas USA.

The Rojiblancos, who were winless in four previous meetings with their in-stadium rivals, appeared to be on the way to their first win after Ante Razov tallied in the 46th minute to give Chivas a 1-0 lead. Although the Galaxy had their chances to equalize, Chivas headed into the final ten minutes of the game confident of their first ever SuperClasico victory, only for Glen to tally twice, both times off incredible passes from Landon Donovan, to give the Galaxy yet another victory over their hated rivals and assure Glen of a place in local lore.

“I remember Landon sent in two great balls and I did what I know how to do best. I just simply love finishing and scoring goals,” Glen told LAGalaxy.com in a phone interview from India earlier this week. “Playing with Landon was one of the best experiences of my career because he is one of the best players in CONCACAF. He was unbelievable, but he remains one of the game’s truly most underrated players.”

“[Cornell] scored those goals against Chivas and any time you do that then you go down in Galaxy folklore,” said current Galaxy left back Todd Dunivant, who was in the starting XI that day.

The two goals against Chivas started an incredible run for Glen, who would make just two more appearances for LA before joining Trinidad and Tobago ahead of the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The Soca Warriors had qualified for the tournament for the first time in their nation’s history a year earlier with Glen primarily featuring off the bench throughout qualifying. But in Germany, he was given greater responsibility by head coach Leo Beenhakker.

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>