April 27, 2024, 07:18:39 AM

Author Topic: Point Fortin Civic FC Thread.  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Point Fortin Civic FC Thread.
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:45:59 AM »
Point Fortin Civic FC keen to make mark.
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY).

Newcomers Point Fortin Civic FC have been causing quite a stir since their introduction to the Digicel Pro League two weeks ago.

So far, the south western-based team have won their opening two matches of the 2013/ 2014 season and are presently joint top of the Pro League standings on six points with W Connection.

In their first encounter, the ‘golden boys’ thrashed Police 4-1 and followed up their fine showing with a nail-biting 1-0 victory over North East Stars on Friday night. Even though the League has only recently commenced, the Point Fortin team turned a few heads along the sidelines with their vociferous fans attending each game.

Speaking to team captain, Kelvin Modeste, at Point Fortin Civic’s official launch in Point Fortin last week, the 28-year old relished the opportunity to be competing in this nation’s highest level of professional football. “We’re pretty confident right now.

There are a lot of expectations that presently lie on us. The community is strongly supporting us to do well and all we wish is to continue improving in all aspects of our game. We just want to take it one game at a time and that should be good for us,” said Modeste.

The young captain noted that all his players are showing the neces- sary commitment and determination towards having a successful season. He revealed that the players have a very good competitive understanding, both on and off the field of play. Modeste also explained that his teammates have been training and playing together for the past two years and are a well-knit bunch, which inevitably reflect on the field.

“It’s very easy for us to come together as a team almost anytime. The goalkeeper Marvin Phillip is not from Point Fortin but all the other players are from the environs and we have good team communication skills. Most of us have known each other for years. Growing up together playing football since our younger years so it’s very easy for us to come together as one when we need to,” he added.

With fixtures against top-flight teams such as W Connection and Caledonia AIA coming up, the highly motivated Modeste is not deterred, but intent on making a lasting impression on their Pro League debut. The ‘Point’ team also boasts a high caliber of players such as Sylvester Teesdale, Phillip, Andre Toussaint and Andrei Pacheco, who according to Modeste, bring a host of experience to the youthful squad.

“We are very settled because we have a few guys who have played at this level before. And we have some younger ones coming up so the team is gelling pretty okay so far. We just want to continue to improve and do well. Point Fortin have a huge history of local football and we want to get the area back to the pinnacle of this sport in Trinidad and Tobago,” Modeste concluded.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
Re: Point Fortin Civic FC Thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
big up meh team civic all de way cant wait for  home games  ;D game over but i really wish we real rivals petrotrin palo seco return
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
big up meh team civic all de way cant wait for  home games  ;D game over but i really wish we real rivals petrotrin palo seco return

That would be great!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
I am so happy to be following my hometown and childhood team again. Forumites who know me know i'm always bigging up  the fabled Civic Centre team. Now we back in top flight football and we making real noise...literally and figuratively. We go be legendary again. :beermug: :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »
Point Fortin embrace professional football.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Civic Revival

Something good is happening in Point Fortin. It’s called Point Fortin Civic FC—the rebirth of the former Point Fortin Civic Centre football team of the late 1970s.

The mayor has gotten involved, and so too has the community. Point Fortin mayor Clyde Paul is a big supporter and has done his part for the growth of the Point community by employing nine Civic players with his borough council. A few small contractors have done likewise, but as yet the big companies have not.

“The Point community have bought into the idea of Point Fortin Civic,” declared team manager Ken McCrea. “That is why you will see thousands turning out. But, corporate Point has not shown so far. We are still hoping that Petrotrin, (Atlantic) LNG and so on  like what they see and get involved with this community.”

Three years ago, the experiment to take Civic Centre back to the top began. It was forged out of the “old boys” team, the remnants of the great Civic Centre team that began in the SFA in 1969 and produced future Trinidad and Tobago national players Leroy De Leon, Kenny Joseph, Wilfred Cave, Miguel Hackett, Dick Furlonge, Steve David and others.

Civic Centre never won the National League, but could give anyone trouble at home, including the big teams, like Defence Force, Trintoc and Police. But, Civic Centre was a spent force by the time the National Football League folded, and were booted out of the Professional Football League in 2002, after being one of the original members in 1999. It was David, Cave, DeLeon and others from the former era who began the revival of Civic Centre.

“We have an old boys team and over the years we thought about doing something for the community,” McCrea said. “We wanted to see the club back at the top again.”

Coach Reynold Carrington became available and the road back for Civic Centre began. Fifth in the SFA in 2011, Civic made a clean SFA sweep in 2012. But six months ago they were struggling to win promotion to the second-tier National Super League when finishing two from bottom in the six-team National Super League promotion series, and losing as big as 5-1 to Guaya United.

“We did not win promotion to the Super League and would have lost our best players, such as Marcus Joseph. A decision was then made to apply directly to the Pro League.”

They rest is history. Now, with the rhythm section, big flags and a vocal following, Point Fortin Civic have taken the Pro League by storm. Top players returned: Sylvester Teesdale, Andrei Pacheco, Andre Toussaint, Matthew Bartholomew, Kevin Modeste, Bevon Bass, Lyndon Diaz and Marvin Phillip have all lined up in Civic’s yellow and red stripes.

They are unbeaten and joint Pro League leaders after two matches, but against North East Stars and four-time Pro League W Connection proved that Civic Centre are up to the level of competition. What is most distinctive about Civic Centre this season is community support.

“The South West have a history of strong support for sport. They have been waiting for years to support a team at the highest level,” Carrington declared. “It also lifts a player when you have two thousand and three thousand people backing you in a League where crowd support is not good.”

Civic Centre is determined to continue building from the bottom. They still maintain a team in the SFA, and beginning this week two former Civic Centre and Trinidad and Tobago national players will begin coaching sessions in the nine primary schools in the South West district, hoping to spot a gem from early. Carrington also has “realistic” expectations.

“A top four finish is realistic,” the Civic coach declared. “I don’t want to give players the impression that we are going to beat everybody everyday. But, we are going to try and do our best every time.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:54:11 AM »
Niceness!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:40:03 AM »
When everyone talks about taking football to the communities, it's only realistic if the community leaders get off their backsides and help make it happen.
Kudos to the Mayor of Point for supporting this venture.
But it's still notable that big business has still not stepped up.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
I heard that Point may pull out of Pro League.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:01:54 AM »
There is a strong rumour that Point Fortin Civic have not paid players for 3 months and are apparently leaving the Pro League. I heard they wanted to go into the Super League, but it looks like they're too late for that as well. I also heard that several top players are trying to get released from their contracts.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I heard that Point may pull out of Pro League.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:47:04 AM »
I'm surprised by this news as I thought that the Regional Corporation sponsored them and guaranteed the salaries? I'm not aware of any other sponsor. For some bizarre reason, Point had Qatar Airlines or something similar on the front of their jersey.
While it's good to encourage community football, attracting large crowds is not enough to finance a team.
But if this is true, it will be a shame as Point brought a new dimension to the league.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
were they getting gov't (Min of Sports) subventions like some of the other teams? 

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »
Yuh have a bunch of jackasses running de club, wha yuh expect.

Them ole f00ckers dont want to leave at all.

David, DeLeon, Gally, all them men de game move on up on them,,,,,, on and off de field.

Them men cah even use a cell phone how de f00ck they go run a football club.

Time for de younger generation to take over.

Reynold Carringotn is a good man for de club, he need to pull a Abu Bakr.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
Would be v depressing if true :(

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
Point cyah complain about fan support, but yet here we are.

What's your product, how do you engage the buying public, develop loyalty, and ensure your long-term plan is realistic?

How could yo open a business and not know how you will pay employees past year 1? This is crazy.

Guess what, Chelsea just bought 3 or more world class players and I know their schedule from the beginning of the league all the way to next year.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »

What's your product, how do you engage the buying public, develop loyalty, and ensure your long-term plan is realistic?

How could yo open a business and not know how you will pay employees past year 1? This is crazy.

Guess what, Chelsea just bought 3 or more world class players and I know their schedule from the beginning of the league all the way to next year.

Aahhh !!!!..

Love that.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

Aahhh !!!!..

Love that.

Clubs that gross over a 100 million dollars in a year shouldn't be compared to PFL  teams that barely gross a million or two TT.

It's possible that Point had promises from certain backers that didn't come through. the MOS or the local MP cannot sponsor a whole team.
You remember Rougier getting jamm with South End   becz of certain promises to him that were not kept.

In the end the Administrators at PF will have to tell us.
I liked the added dimension that they brought to the league.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:20 AM »
Exit Point?
By Ian Prescott (Express).

With the Digicel Trinidad and Tobago Pro League football competition due to begin next month, Point Fortin Civic FC currently do not have a squad of footballers training. And unless the community football team receive a subvention from the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT), they will not compete for a second season in the Pro League.

The brave adventure to bring “community football” to the Pro League, saw Point winning 13 league matches and drawing big crowds for much of last season. Point Fortin assembled a team containing Marcus Joseph, Andrei Toussaint, Andre Pacheco, Marvin Philllip, all of whom have worn Trinidad and Tobago national team colours. Even so, they failed to get the major corporations and the business community to buy into the idea of community development through professional football.

Former national footballer Steve David backed the effort with his money, with his Worldwide Safety company “carrying” the team, until financial help came. It never did. The burden has now become too heavy to carry.

“Last year most of the money came from Worldwide. But it was really a strain for us. To come up with that kind of money, which was $100,000 a month, was really too tough,” David said. “We made a decision that if we didn’t get the funding, we will not be coming back to the Pro League.”

David said that two weeks ago, there was a firm decision that “Civic” were out of the Pro League, but there is still a final hope they can still field a team should they could get Sport Company funding and assistance from area contractors.

“We went into the League (last season) with the promises we would get the community funds from the Sports Company. We did not get it and it put a strain on everybody,” David added, while hoping it comes this time. “We are not sure yet, but we hope it comes.”

He added: “We haven’t been training yet because we do not have the money to show that we coming back,” David admitted. “Those guys won’t want to play unless they know they going to get paid. Last year the whole thing was run on personal funds and now we run out of that.”

David said Civic had failed to sway energy companies Atlantic and Petrotrin to come aboard.

“The South area is where they get their oil and gas from. They should help us,” David insisted. “We went to the business sector and they also did not help. We are still trying. But instead of looking at big business like Atlantic and Petrotrin, we are hoping the contractors could give us some help.”

It is now too late for Civic to field a team in the second tier semi-professional league. Should they not play in the Pro League, David said Civic’s only option is to go back to the South Zone.

“Many of the players will not want to play in the South Zone now that they have had a taste of the Pro League,” David admitted. “But we will just have to go back to the South Zone and try to rebuild the community team if that’s the only option we have.”

David, however had no regrets about trying to bring professional football to the South where he began his playing career with Point Fortin Civic Centre.

“Football has gotten me everything I have,” David declared. “It got me an education so I could be strong enough to open a company. It got me representation, I can go anywhere and be recognised. I had to give something back.”

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »
It is a real shame. You have to wonder, when you see the 10's of millions wasted on LifeSport and Hoops of Life. Point Fortin Civic really put the town on the map last year and gave their region pride. I'm disgusted by these big companies who happily give money for fetes but care less about providing inspiration for the youths who will be their employees of the future.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
 >:(

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »

Aahhh !!!!..

Love that.

Clubs that gross over a 100 million dollars in a year shouldn't be compared to PFL  teams that barely gross a million or two TT.

It's possible that Point had promises from certain backers that didn't come through. the MOS or the local MP cannot sponsor a whole team.
You remember Rougier getting jamm with South End   becz of certain promises to him that were not kept.

VB

You miss the point big time.

It's not about having $100 million. It's about professionalism

You cannot open a business on promise. What kinda business plan is that. You think KFC will give you ah franchise on promise? We need to do better. Play Super League until you can fund a pro team for at least 5 years.

The TTPL need to do better when they admitting teams to the league. Every year is 2- 3 new teams and then they gone. That's not a PL that's a fete match.

A club should be able to show where they specifically can pay players for 3 to 5 years. A club should expect to operate in the red for 3-5 years after which their long-term plan should be taking effect and generating funds to break even. To think about making a profit in the short-term is foolish.

This is business and must be operated as such.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »
Such a shame. Ripe opportunity for a foreign sponsor to step in?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »
Such a shame. Ripe opportunity for a foreign sponsor to step in?

There was foreign interest once, but Steve David didn't want it.

And the San Fernando mayor was also a problem, another big talking.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »
Very unfortunate.
There just might be a glimmer of hope but time has almost run out.
Any idea on how many players have already jumped ship yet thus making the vessel unsailable if too many?
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
Very unfortunate.
Any idea on how many players have already jumped ship yet thus making the vessel unsailable if too many?

Dahis it right dey. Might be a situation in which patience is not a virtue ... as opportunity knocks.

How much patience should be exercised by the NT players on this squad?

But then again ... football in T&T  is an exercise in patience. Top to bottom.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:00:52 AM by asylumseeker »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
Very unfortunate.

Dahis it right dey. Might be a situation in which patience is not a virtue ... as opportunity knocks.

How much patience should be exercised by the NT players on this squad?

But then again ... football in T&T  is an exercise in patience. Top to bottom.

Problem is that the transfer window closes in early August. Other teams are already in pre season, so the Point players will not be as fit. So when they try out for new teams it will be a lot harder for them, especially as most clubs would already have used their player budget. The top 3 or 4 players will be ok, but the rest will be struggling to get a decent wage, and many of them will have to travel from South every day. Some decent players will lose their work, which is totally wrong.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

Aahhh !!!!..

Love that.

VB

You miss the point big time.

You cannot open a business on promise. What kinda business plan is that. You think KFC will give you ah franchise on promise? We need to do better. Play Super League until you can fund a pro team for at least 5 years.

The TTPL need to do better when they admitting teams to the league. Every year is 2- 3 new teams and then they gone. That's not a PL that's a fete match.

A club should be able to show where they specifically can pay players for 3 to 5 years. A club should expect to operate in the red for 3-5 years after which their long-term plan should be taking effect and generating funds to break even. To think about making a profit in the short-term is foolish.

This is business and must be operated as such.

Re. your first point, I whole heartedly agree.

As for the second, then probably nobody would open a team in TT.

But you right stick to semi pro. Have a few upsets here and there but forget the PFL.

I think this is why Santa Rosa holding back.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »

You are correct about professionalism, But I will take 100 million anyday over professionalism. You can either force who under your control to be professional, or fire them and hire someone who has the professional attitude you want. Allyuh could say all about attitude, this and that. Money talks.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »
Civic back in training.
T&T Express Reports.

There is good news for the players of Point Fortin Civic FC. 

Last year’s Digicel Pro League fourth-placed finishers Civic, have begun preparing for a second season in the Digicel Pro League, a position far removed from a month ago when it was almost certain they would have dropped out of professional football due to financial difficulties.

Things are a lot better than it was a few weeks ago, “ Civic FC head-coach Reynold Carrington stated yesterday. “We have been in training for the last two weeks,”

Carrington said all indications now are that Civic will be competing in the 2014-2015 season of the Digicel Pro League. Most of his players are back with the team, although negotiation are still ongoing.  With the late start to training, Carrington has been concentrating mainly on getting the squad fit, but has found a lot of enthusiasm among the players.

“So far they are eager to be back in the League,” Carrington stated. “We are concentrating on fitness and have not gone into any match situations as yet. But they are not as far off from where we would have wanted.”

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:43:59 AM »
Hope Toussaint and all the other talented players have a wok and haven't jumped ship.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Fantastic news :)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »
Point Fortin club desperate for financial help.
T&T Express Reports.

Players commit to Civic

MARCUS JOSEPH, last season’s Digicel Pro League top-scorer, has committed to Point Fortin Civic for another season, despite the uncertain financial position of the community football team.

Most of Civic’s footballers are remaining with the club, but captain Andre Ettienne is seeking to join Cental FC, and has made a complaint to the professional league about unpaid wages.

Civic were contenders for most of the 2013-2014 season in the Pro League before finishing a respectable fourth, having won 13 matches in their first season, one more than second-placed Central FC. However, Civic suffered financial difficulties late last season, and as yet, have no financial guarantees for the upcoming season.

The team management continues to seek financial assistance from the Trinidad and Tobago Government (through the Sport Company) and corporate sponsorships, to keep its operations going

Among the players who head coach Reynold Carrington named as having stayed are Joseph, Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Marvin Phillip, fellow goalkeepers Akini Adams and Miguel Payne, defenders Garyl Doldron, Weslie John, Steven Joseph and Kevin Rouse, midfielders Akeem Redhead, Nickcolson Thomas, Andrei Pacheco, Kelvin Modeste, Jamille Boatswain, Karym Balthazar, Glen Sutton and Ancil Wells and forwards Matthew Bartholomew, Bevon Bass, Andre Alexis and Andre Toussaint.

“I believe the club can go out there and get sponsorship,” Civic’s ace striker and last season’s top scorer, Joseph told TTProleague.com over his decision to re-sign with his hometown club.

“It’s not like we don’t have a good team,” the Trinidad and Tobago international added. “We have the ability to win the Pro League this season and the management said that they would do their best in getting sponsorship, so I’ve decided to give it another try.”

However, last season’s captain, 23-year-old Ettienne, seems to be firm in his decision to quit the club. Ettienne has two years remaining on his contract by wants to join Central FC. He has accused Civic of breaching his contract by not fulfilling his salary, some of which he is still owed.

He met with the Pro League’s Player Status Committee last month and is awaiting a final hearing this week.

“Lack of sponsorship is plaguing us,” said Carrington. “And our players are of the quality that they could have gone to any club. So it’s amazing to see the loyalty of the majority of players, wanting to represent their club and community under the current circumstances.

“Our players are remaining optimistic and we hope that things can become financially better. At present it’s amazing to see the enthusiasm of the players ahead of the new season.”

Trinity Industries is the only company so far on board, giving Civic a lifeline ahead of the new season, and according to the club’s chairman Garthorne Craig, the club is currently engaged in discussions with other corporations for assistance.

“But the truth is we won’t be able to last, even for another season, if we are not supported by Government’s subvention or full corporate sponsorship,” Craig said.

He explained that last season there was financial aid from companies such as EARTH (Environmental and Remedial Treatment for Hydrocarbons) Co and KGC Ltd, as well as temporary employment for some of the players within the Point Fortin Borough Corporation. Still, it took the personal funds of former T&T international Steve David and other directors to keep the club going. Such funds were exhausted during the 2013-14 term.

“We don’t have a full sponsor yet and we still don’t have financial support from the Government, explained a frustrated David. “We would like to get Government’s subvention like (other clubs). If we don’t get, then we won’t be able to keep a team.

“It would be horrible for the people of Point Fortin not having a team in the Pro League. We even revived the Pro League a little bit and we are still not getting help. I can’t understand why we are not getting the support,” David added.

“The government has companies such as Atlantic and Petrotrin making all the money in this region and they won’t even help us. Imagine we still have a ground without stands. All this is frustrating and absurd!”

1]; } ?>