March 28, 2024, 02:50:34 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones critical of Tony Pulis's 'regimented' football  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones critical of Tony Pulis's 'regimented' football
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »
Kenwyne Jones critical of Tony Pulis's 'regimented' football
The Sentinel

STOKE star Kenwyne Jones is revelling in his new-found freedom after winning the eye of new boss Mark Hughes.

In what many will see as an outspoken attack on previous manager Tony Pulis, the Trinidad international says he feels liberated since the change of boss.

Jones, who has started Stoke’s last four games, believes his goalscoring horizons have now widened because more chances will be created.

“We are able to express ourselves and be free,” he said. “Now we can try things as footballers and that’s the only way to improve as a footballer.

“You are not restricted into that regiment of ‘sky’ football.

“Before, it was more or less hit and hope, and I think my team-mates could testify to that.

“In the past it was very hard to come by chances and if you look at our record of shots on goal and goals scored, it was probably the lowest because we weren’t playing the type of football to create chances.

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones critical of Tony Pulis's 'regimented' football
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »
I kinda agree but i honestly wish he had a dozen goals under his belt in the league before he started talking about Pulis and the previous regime. He is getting a run but don't feel Mark Hughes will stick with him if he is not finding the back of the net in the short term.

Prove yourself first, then talk.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:50 AM »
all the man saying is the team have a different strategy and confidence. What proof of self he have to show? Last game I saw(Arsenal), I almost didn't recognize it was Stoke. Almost to far different. Found he didn't get much balls going forward, nullified his air force. The whole team have to prove, including Hughes, and management. The proof isn't KJs alone.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:06 AM »
The only coach so far who know how to use KJ is Hart.

When Stoke start using KJ alongside another striker who is opposite in style or use him as a center forward they will do much better. KJ needs to run unto a ball, not be a restricted lone striker with senseless passes and crosses.

KJ did not have a good game vs Arsenal but the man has improved tremendously.

I wish he could go to a team like Arsenal, Valencia, Atlético Madrid, Napoli or Liverpool.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
It is kind of ironic because one of the main reason stoke pick him and give him the big contract is because he is good in the air and a good target man.

Pulis did a good job with Stoke they were very hard to beat and always finished mid table.

that said it was not pretty

Kenwayne likes to put it on the ground and play but he is not that good with the short passing game.

but he said an important thing

you have to try things to improve.

He will improve with his short passing game under hughes and should score at least 15 this year.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:07 AM »
I kinda agree but i honestly wish he had a dozen goals under his belt in the league before he started talking about Pulis and the previous regime. He is getting a run but don't feel Mark Hughes will stick with him if he is not finding the back of the net in the short term.

Ah blind man could see there is more creative imetus in how Stoke are playing under Hughes.  The goals will come considering they are getting the opportunities to shoot.  2-3 more games and they will be much sharper.  Whether Hughes sticks with him or not does not validate nor negate what he said.  Pulis played a very coward, blue collar brand that resulted in digression (especially after replacing Jones with Crouch).

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »

Ah blind man could see there is more creative imetus in how Stoke are playing under Hughes.  The goals will come considering they are getting the opportunities to shoot.  2-3 more games and they will be much sharper.  Whether Hughes sticks with him or not does not validate nor negate what he said.  Pulis played a very coward, blue collar brand that resulted in digression (especially after replacing Jones with Crouch).

I have no argument with the substance of the statement, i said i agreed. My issue was the timing. KJ has been playing well but he still has to put away the chances.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
It is kind of ironic because one of the main reason stoke pick him and give him the big contract is because he is good in the air and a good target man.

Pulis did a good job with Stoke they were very hard to beat and always finished mid table.

that said it was not pretty

Kenwayne likes to put it on the ground and play but he is not that good with the short passing game.

but he said an important thing

you have to try things to improve.

He will improve with his short passing game under hughes and should score at least 15 this year.

I think it is already improved and will continue.  If you look at where he puts balls for other players, he seldom puts it in traffic (except inside the box) and his passes are full of positive intent.  No longer can defenders crowd him and feel they can choke the attack because now other players are in offensive positions to receive the ball.  Indeed they bought him because he was good in the air but being one dimensional in his philosophy only resulted in marginal success if you want to call it that.  Their defensive play and ability to hold teams has nothing to do with that tragic offensive mindset that Pulis displayed.  Saying he is not that good is misleading because he is more than competent with the ball at his feet.  Not the best by any stretch but he is not ah shithong like many had him down as right here on this site only a few years ago.  Stoke's best days were before Crouch arrived.  When Ricardo (madman) Fuller was there they actually had a little more forward traction and looked better.  I agree with Kenwayne that they probably can finish in the top 10 as opposed to being in the teens by virtue of the other teams beneath just simply being so poor.

g it will come doh frighten.  I imagine he was likely asked about Hughes as a comparison to Pulis with regard to approach.  I doubt he just volunteered that info without prompting.  At least he speaks composed and intelligently because despite how some may end up viewing it, it was more about praise for his current boss than condemnation of the old one.  He butterin up MH, eh nutten wrong with that even if he is speaking the truth.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
You can tell KJ likes playing for him better anyway. There were a few runs he made during that Arsenal game where I was reminded how fast he actually was. They never played the ball through, he got frustrated and started doing that jog stuff, and then he got subbed out cuz he didn't do much. I think you put someone like Walter or another guy at striker who compliments what KJ doesn't have, KJ can really shine.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
I saw on a video from Fuentes in Saudi where Kenwyne beat Peltier in a race, could not believe he was that fast.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »
i think that knee injury take away lot from him speedwise. I remember an article his first year in the Prem where he was clocked, using video evidence, as the league's fastest player. Probably not entirely accurate, but it shows he was up there. That was before David James went and bend his leg backwards.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
So I now watch an interview with Pulis that on the same page from that link and I think he just don't like KJ.  He didn't say anything directly but what he didn't say leads me to that suspicion.  He also said he believes that SCFC needs a forward that can put the ball in the net lol.  Surprise he din say "Crouchie" could do it.  Not once he mention KJ all the while talking about various other players from his regime that MH using in better capacity.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
i think he was one of KJ supporters on a personal level, during his personal crisis. But from a footballing level, you described his tactics perfectly above. So probably didn't see eye to eye on the field. Well, on the bench anyway.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
I saw on a video from Fuentes in Saudi where Kenwyne beat Peltier in a race, could not believe he was that fast.

I believe it was quoted somewhere that he is one of the faster players in the EPL actually

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

I believe it was quoted somewhere that he is one of the faster players in the EPL actually

When testing was done in 2008, Kenwyne was second fastest without the ball, and 6th fastest with the ball, for an overall position of 4th.

The sprint parade top 10, commissioned by Nike and put together by Opta Sportsdata, is as follows (the first figure is to the ball, the second with it):
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd): 20.9mph -- 20.8mph
2. Andrew Johnson (Everton): 20.6 -- 20.7
3. Fernando Torres (Liverpool): 20.5 -- 20.6
4. Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland): 20.7 -- 20.2
5. Ashley Young (Aston Villa): 20.4 -- 20.3
6. Aaron Lennon (Tottenham): 20.6 -- 19.6
7. Cameron Jerome (Birmingham): 20.3 -- 20.1
8. Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea): 18.9 -- 21.2
9. Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth): 20.4 -- 19.2
10. David Bentley (Blackburn): 20.0 -- 19.8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-514146/Who-fastest-footballer-Premier-League--Ronaldo-Lennon-AJ-Find-here.html

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
Yeah, so... I think it might be overs for that contract talk now:

EXCLUSIVE: Stoke stars Shawcross and Jones in furious row over backlash against old boss Pulis

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

EXCLUSIVE: Stoke stars Shawcross and Jones in furious row over backlash against old boss Pulis

I actually agree with Shawcross. KJ getting on with some punkish behavior. Pulis gone already, why start dissing the man now. Just put your head down and play your game now that you're getting the opportunity to.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 03:45:27 PM »

I actually agree with Shawcross. KJ getting on with some punkish behavior. Pulis gone already, why start dissing the man now. Just put your head down and play your game now that you're getting the opportunity to.
He, Pennant, Nzonzi and Cameron Jerome all speak out after Pulis leave. I don't know what to make of it, but I notice a certain commonality among de men who was feeling aggrieved.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
He, Pennant, Nzonzi and Cameron Jerome all speak out after Pulis leave. I don't know what to make of it, but I notice a certain commonality among de men who was feeling aggrieved.

Yeah, all ah dem was big name buys who came to Stoke after promotion.  Those who came up with him from the Championship obviously have a different perspective.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »

Yeah, all ah dem was big name buys who came to Stoke after promotion.  Those who came up with him from the Championship obviously have a different perspective.
Lol, that too.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
Shaking my head, read my initial post. I dunno why players don't just keep quiet and play football nah.

All the positivity brewing with KJ, getting a good run in the side talk about new contract. I wait to see if Hughes sticks with him this weekend.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
I on KJ side in terms of being critical of Pulis... the man was a master at neanderthal football and it was killing de game.  At least fuh everybody but Stoke fans.  However is a huge miscalculation on his part to take this beef public.  Yuh money only so long and it eh longer than the team/owner's. 

This is the kinda thing that not only kills careers, but stymies post-career ambition as well.  Nobody wants a malcontent on staff... or somebody who gives the impression that as soon as things sour he willing to run to de press and start cutting man down.  Is like I always say, doh come talking shit to me about nobody else, because right away I go start wondering who you talking shit to about me behind my back as well.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones entitled to speak up, but he needs to back up his comments with some goals
By Robbie Earle (The Sentinel)

KENWYNE Jones was entitled to his views about Tony Pulis, but the big striker has got to be prepared to back that up with performances on the pitch.

In a controversial interview, Jones said Stoke played 'sky football' under former boss TP – hit and hope stuff which he clearly didn't enjoy.

I don't know how much truth there is in reports that he was then confronted by Ryan Shawcross about his comments, but in any dressing room you will get some players who think a manager is the bee's knees and others who think he's a tactical turnip.

Tony Pulis helped take Ryan Shawcross from Manchester United reserves to winning an England cap, so I can understand why the skipper might take exception to seeing his former manager rubbished in this way.

Jones was hardly in the side last season so no doubt he has a different perspective on what was going on under TP's baseball cap.

The striker is entitled to his say, but it does leave a bit of a sour taste when a player has a pop at a former manager when that boss is no longer around.

More pertinently to this season, Jones, below, has put pressure on himself to do the business now Stoke are playing a different way under Mark Hughes.

Stoke's 4-5-1/4-3-3 system is set up to provide chances for that lone striker, and Jones is the man in possession at the moment.

If he thinks TP was to blame for him only scoring five goals last season, then he has to prove the point by thriving under Hughes.

I certainly wouldn't single Jones out for criticism in Stoke's 1-0 defeat to Norwich on Sunday because this was clearly a bad day all round at the Britannia Stadium.

Mark Hughes has made a very impressive start overall so I hope the players and the crowd show patience as the new system beds in.

Having said that, I do reckon a little more 'sky football' at the right times might come in handy.

Norwich had clearly done their homework on Stoke so, every time the ball went from Asmir Begovic to his full-backs, the Norwich players were closing them down.

If Begovic booted it long more often then the Norwich forwards would be more reluctant to press high up the pitch and risk being bypassed. Also, there's no shame in sending the big men up in the final minutes, as Hughes did with Shawcross on Sunday.

There's nothing wrong with launching the ball into the penalty area when you are chasing a game and running out of time.

Jose Mourinho did this at Chelsea when he'd send a certain Robert Huth up front to spread fear among the opposition ranks.

As far as I know, no one has ever accused the Special One of being a hoofball merchant.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
Lol @ "hoofball merchant".. very fitting.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
Well, either nothing happen or Stoke sweeping it under the carpet:

Ryan Shawcross dismisses Kenwyne Jones bust-up claims.

Or probably some small back and forth that get blown outta proportion.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

Lol, that too.
I immediately knew u meant black players lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
I immediately knew u meant black players lol

You and everybody else.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 09:01:46 AM »
Bust up or not, was on the bench as an unused sub this weekend. Go figure!

1]; } ?>