April 17, 2024, 07:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Akeem Adams Thread.  (Read 80037 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bakes, if a guy has worked as a researcher officer in the cocoa department for 20 years but has no opinion whatsoever on the coach industry, you should be wary of that person.
The idea that people who spend so much time talking to officials, players, coaches and fans would not have an opinion is not logical to me.
I respect your right to disagree or anyone else.
I said I will be nosey, pushy and so on. You read that to mean that I have an axe to grind. People have a way of hearing what they want to hear.
You're welcome to your opinion. People can judge me based on the work I produce and I do believe the most important thing is that I present the facts and all parties have a chance to have the points fairly put across.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
So wait people buying tshirts thinking that all sales going to the fundraiser and now is only a small portion of the total sales. How scrupulous is that. So they saying how much they did, but yet benefiting? That's not right.

Okay so some will argue that they had to pay for tshirts and all that, but isn't that a good deed? Giving more of yourself than you get? Can't see how Tim Kee can say this is good, it is not. Why not at the start say only a small portion of the sales will go to the fundraiser?  :banginghead:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bakes, if a guy has worked as a researcher officer in the cocoa department for 20 years but has no opinion whatsoever on the coach industry, you should be wary of that person.
The idea that people who spend so much time talking to officials, players, coaches and fans would not have an opinion is not logical to me.
I respect your right to disagree or anyone else.
I said I will be nosey, pushy and so on. You read that to mean that I have an axe to grind. People have a way of hearing what they want to hear.
You're welcome to your opinion. People can judge me based on the work I produce and I do believe the most important thing is that I present the facts and all parties have a chance to have the points fairly put across.

Indeed. 

I said you toting feelings from the pay impasse into your other unrelated reports on the TTFA would seem to confirm my statement that you have an axe to grind (in this case over the pay impasse), no other logical conclusion could follow.  The bolded statement is particularly rich in light of your "TTFA Pats self on back" article  ;)  If yuh want to plant cocoa then plant cocoa, if yuh want to be taken seriously as a journalist then reserve the subjectivity for your columns and stick to straight reporting in your news reports.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Checks and balances........we know better so we should expect better and hold these jokers to task......they too know better but consistently try to take advantage of people emotions to serve their agaendas.......keep them honest wired868.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FACT: Together, the TTFA and Native Spirit raised $255,750 in Akeem Adams’ name; $72,300 from that money is earmarked for the player while $183,450 remains with either local organisation.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So wait people buying tshirts thinking that all sales going to the fundraiser and now is only a small portion of the total sales. How scrupulous is that. So they saying how much they did, but yet benefiting? That's not right.

Okay so some will argue that they had to pay for tshirts and all that, but isn't that a good deed? Giving more of yourself than you get? Can't see how Tim Kee can say this is good, it is not. Why not at the start say only a small portion of the sales will go to the fundraiser?  :banginghead:

“The TTFA never said that full proceeds would go to Akeem Adams,” Fuentes told the I95.5 FM programme, which was hosted by Andre Baptiste and also featured the Wired868 editor.
Fuentes admitted the TTFA did not inform the public, via the media or otherwise, that only “part proceeds” would go to the player. And he claimed that the TTFA did not know what percentage from the sale of tee-shirts would go to the player, even as it urged supporters to buy the Native Spirit product at a press conference on 3 October 2013.

How unscrupulous of them.  Like Lasana say, people will see what they want to see... and complain regardless.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Together, the TTFA and Native Spirit raised $255,750 in Akeem Adams’ name; $72,300 from that money is earmarked for the player while $183,450 remains with either local organisation.

When stated like this, it is a little sad. I personally, didn't expect the entire $100 from shirts to go to the fund. There obviously is a cost to purchasing and printing the jerseys. There would have been a discussion about how much the shirts cost to produce and what price point they should be sold at. $100 is a nice round number. Maybe they could have sold at $120 and more money would have gone to Akeem.

My questions would have been directed at the $75 cost of the jersey. Was there any profit to Native Spirit? I had never heard of Native Spirit before this and, I'm sure, neither had many other people. So this was a great piece of publicity for them. I, for one, would not expect them to make profits from the shirts when they were getting this much free publicity.

You put yourself forward to help these causes knowing that it's great P.R. and I have no problem with that. But I'd really like to know if they made a profit.

At least we have transparency from TTFA: They charged $125, $50 went to Akeem, $75 to them. If you don't like it, don't buy a ticket and donate $50. Simple. That information wasn't supplied about the jerseys!

Saying that, $75 sounds about right to produce a quality printed T shirts. Our "Say a prayer for Akeem" t shirts cost $65 to produce. Initially, they were just for players and staff to wear to raise awareness, but we had requests to buy them and sold them for $50. We never said we would donate anything from sales and we lost $15 per shirt! People wanted to show their support, but I hope that doesn't upset anyone!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:13:10 PM by Football supporter »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football supporter, the difference with Central FC and Native Spirit making jerseys is that Central is ordering a shirt whereas Native Spirit is doing it themselves and should also benefit from economies of scale.
I will attempt to get comment from them tomorrow.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football supporter, the difference with Central FC and Native Spirit making jerseys is that Central is ordering a shirt whereas Native Spirit is doing it themselves and should also benefit from economies of scale.

Well, yes, but the process is the same, surely? I doubt if they manufacture the jerseys. But you're right....they should be getting the jersey and print cheaper than us. Of course, theirs is probably better quality, so that will have an impact. Be interesting to see if you get any answers!

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was told that they are part of a group of companies that manufactures the jerseys too. But I cannot confirm that at this point.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
How de SWO (socawarriors.net) have been making donations to players and T&T needed over the years and you never hear any come-mess surrounding it, only when the TTFA is involved they just cant shake of de unorganised and unprofessional was they do things.

Who is responsible for handling the TTFA business? obviously they not doing a good job, is it de managers? they have two, Wallace and Muhammad.

On de flip side, I am glad they donated the money, why people concern about the small stuff, I think they did very well.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:12:39 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How de SWO (socawarriors.net) have been making donations to players and T&T needed over the years and you never hear any come-mess surrounding it, only when the TTFA is involved they just cant shake of de unorganised and unprofessional was they do things.

Who is responsible for handling the TTFA business? obviously they not doing a good job, is it de managers? they have two, Wallace and Muhammad.

On de flip side, I am glad they donated the money, why people concern about the small stuff, I think they did very well.

Sam u eh realize what going on? people watching Tim Kee they eh want what use to go on with the past administration/JW to happen again so they watching every cent/dollar,is the small stuff that causes all the trouble,accountability is the game.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well, yes, but the process is the same, surely? I doubt if they manufacture the jerseys. But you're right....they should be getting the jersey and print cheaper than us. Of course, theirs is probably better quality, so that will have an impact. Be interesting to see if you get any answers!

Football supporter, they also manufacture their own shirts.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Football supporter, they also manufacture their own shirts.

:beermug: Casts a different light on things!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile

“The TTFA never said that full proceeds would go to Akeem Adams,” Fuentes told the I95.5 FM programme, which was hosted by Andre Baptiste and also featured the Wired868 editor.
Fuentes admitted the TTFA did not inform the public, via the media or otherwise, that only “part proceeds” would go to the player. And he claimed that the TTFA did not know what percentage from the sale of tee-shirts would go to the player, even as it urged supporters to buy the Native Spirit product at a press conference on 3 October 2013.

How unscrupulous of them.  Like Lasana say, people will see what they want to see... and complain regardless.

Bakes you self, come on nah man - seriously.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bakes you self, come on nah man - seriously.

Look, there is justified skepticism where the local football administration is concerned, but there's also a healthy bit of paranoia going around as well.  Give folks a chance to make good on their word.  I don't know how much control they had over the Native Spirit thing, but they promised greater accountability and transparency, and so far they've been moving in that direction.  The situation still unfolding, give them a chance.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Show us the money: TTFA asks Native Spirit for breakdown of Akeem venture
By Lasana Liburd (Wire868)

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and the Native Spirit clothing company both pointed towards each other today as Wired868 sought further information on money raised from the sale of “I Support Akeem” tee-shirts.

The $100 tee-shirts, which sold out last month, were designed to raise funds for former two-time World Youth Cup defender Akeem Adams who suffered a massive heart attack in late September and is awaiting a heart transplant in Hungary.

The TTFA told the public that proceeds from the sale of the tee-shirts would go to the 22-year-old footballer, who is in ICU at the Vasmajori Heart Clinic in Budapest.

However, last night, TTFA press officer Shaun Fuentes told i95.5 FM radio host Andre Baptiste that only $25 from each shirt would go to Adams, which prompted an immediate and angry response from members of the public.

Native Spirit and the TTFA both told Wired868 that it was a misunderstanding and the public was not willfully misled.

TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips insisted there was never any hint that the local football body or Native Spirit would underwrite the production costs of the tee-shirts. So, he said the public should have understood that full proceeds would not go to the young player.

“I don’t think any reasonable person would think there wasn’t a cost attached (to producing the tee-shirts),” Phillips told Wired868. “There are always going to be inherent costs… We want the public to understand that it was never our intention to generate any additional funding.”

Funetes also told I95.5 FM that the TTFA never claimed that all proceeds from the “I Support Akeem” tee-shirts would go to Adams.

However, a copy of the TTFA press release clearly contradicted their claims. On October 6, a release, issued by Fuentes, informed the public that “all proceeds” would go to Adams.

Native Spirit managing director Bruce Kaufman stressed that, for his part, it was an innocent mix-up.

“It is unfortunate that the information (about the $25) got clouded over,” said Kaufman. “This was for a very good cause and it was a positive thing that the country really showed a lot of support, which was nice to see.”

But should the public have been told how much of their $100 purchase would go to Adams?

Kaufman said the TTFA always knew that it would only receive $25 per tee-shirt and it was the football body’s responsibility to inform the public.

“We were not responsible for any PR,” said Kaufman. “Protocol dictates that all information should come from the TTFA.”

But Phillips claimed he did not know how much money would go to Adams when the TTFA asked members of the public to purchase the tee-shirts in a press conference on October 3. He said the local football body found out later on.

“Once the shirts were being manufactured, we found out how much it would be,” said Phillips.

The first tee-shirt was printed on October 7, four days after the TTFA press conference.

But Kaufman countered that Native Spirit was open about the fact that only $25 would go to Adams, long before the company started printing. He told Wired868 that a company representative released that information on Facebook on October 4.

However, Kaufman said that the information was put on the employee’s personal page and not on Native Spirit’s official Facebook page. So, the clothing company did not directly advise its purchasers.

Fuentes, the TTFA press officer, said he followed instructions at all times and was unaware of the specifics of the charitable venture, even after Phillips found out about the $25 figure from Native Spirit. So, Fuentes said that could not have given the public any further information.

“The information was disseminated (to the public) based on the information that came to me,” said Fuentes. “I was never instructed to send out a press release that only $25 was going to the fund. And, in fact, I only found out that this week.”

Phillips suggested that the TTFA was busy getting ready for the friendly against New Zealand and had left the “I Support Akeem” venture to Native Spirit.

“Should we have gone out and put out another press release (about the $25)?” asked Phillips, rhetorically. “Perhaps. But we were in the middle of putting on a game and a lot of our focus was on the match itself.

“It became a Native Spirit production from then on… We lent them our logo and they designed and produced the shirt and then passed on the proceeds to us. We had nothing at all to do with the actual production of the shirt.”

And where did the remaining $75 go?

Kaufman said it was up to the TTFA to provide further details of the “I Support Akeem” venture to the public.

“The TTFA is our client so they should be the ones telling you,” said Kaufman.

But Phillips said the TTFA does not know any more than it has revealed already and is still waiting for further details from Native Spirit.

He insisted that the financial details would be forwarded to the public as soon as he receives them and suggested that, rather than the lack of relevant information, was the crux of the matter.

“The bottom line issue is getting the public to see the cost breakdown because it definitely wasn’t a profit making venture for the TTFA,” said Phillips. “Once those costs are explained, the answer to a lot of people’s questions will come out… Native Spirit has to provide the cost breakdown, including VAT, to show where that $100 went.”

Both parties insisted that the problem was a glitch in communication rather than dishonesty.

“We were very happy to be part of the ‘Heart of a Warrior Foundation’ and we would like to continue to be,” said Kaufman. “I would like to make sure the message is kept in a positive light because it is for a good cause. And it is still going for a good cause.”

Phillips also stressed that the TTFA is working hard to cleanse itself of an unsavoury reputation earned during the era of former special advisor and ex-FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

“We want the public to understand that it was never our intention to generate any additional funding,” he said. “We will continue to take part initiatives to support Akeem; this wasn’t  a one-off…

“We are very concerned about being accountable.”

Phillips explained that CONCACAF and FIFA obligations by himself and TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee had also delayed the football body’s post-mortem of the New Zealand affair. Tim Kee, an insurance executive, also successful ran for a Port of Spain alderman position for the PNM at the local government elections and is tipped to be the city’s new mayor.

“In the future, barring any other scheduling issues, the attendances for matches would be reported a bit sooner than the New Zealand game,” said Phillips.

Neither the TTFA nor Native Spirit has so far provided a date for when further details on the “I Support Akeem” initiative will be made public.

Together, the TTFA and Native Spirit raised approximately $255,750 in the player’s name through the “I Support Akeem” tee-shirts and the “Akeem Adams section” at the New Zealand match; just $72,300 of that money will go to Adams.

Well-wishers who want to donate money directly to the player can do so by walking into any RBC branch and depositing money for Ancilla Dick at account number #100085172658914.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:50:15 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bakes, you might prefer if I did like the Express newspapers and simply printed the TTFA press release verbatim. That is not my idea of journalism. I will always ask questions.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Bakes, you right too, but Lasana have some points to and his work has help T&T a lot, maybe even this time, after his article, the TTFA release funds quick.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bakes, you might prefer if I did like the Express newspapers and simply printed the TTFA press release verbatim. That is not my idea of journalism. I will always ask questions.

That being your response, it is apparent that nothing that I have said has any resonance with you... so carry yuh crusade  :thumbsup:

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Here's where I think the big wigs missing the point. If I know from jump street that Akeem only getting $25 then I am not buying a tshirt because I want my $100 to go to the fund not $25. That was a useless venture for a fundraiser. Out of that 2000 people who bought shirt, I am sure over 1000 would have given the full $100 to the fundraiser without receiving a t-shirt.

People wanted to give what they give to Akeem, not pay to print a tshirt.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here's where I think the big wigs missing the point. If I know from jump street that Akeem only getting $25 then I am not buying a tshirt because I want my $100 to go to the fund not $25. That was a useless venture for a fundraiser. Out of that 2000 people who bought shirt, I am sure over 1000 would have given the full $100 to the fundraiser without receiving a t-shirt.

People wanted to give what they give to Akeem, not pay to print a tshirt.

The same people who thought all $100 was going to Akeem are the same people who voted for Peoples Partnership recently. There's naivety and there's just plain choopidness. It was obvious that TTFA made a fubar when they said "all proceeds". The question is: how much, if any, profit was made by Native Spirit. TTFA just got a wake up call. They meant well, but now realise that they have to be sharper. Fair enough, they passed the project to a supplier, but in future, they must ensure oversight. They had good intentions and maybe fluffed it a little bit. Now they have to give answers, because it was their project. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cheque was presented to Dion Sosa tonight at half time in the Central vs North East game. Sadly, there was no announcer, so the supporters didn't really know what was happening. Not really much else to say at this point, except Dion was very grateful on behalf of the family for the support of sw.net.
Photo will be available tomorrow.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thank you Football supporter !!!!!!

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thank you Football supporter !!!!!!

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
And off course Weary and Tallman for making the transition possible.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
TO: The Administrators of this Site

A big thanks to all of you for maintaining this site and reaching out to the community. Although I left T&T a long time ago and I am not invested in local football as much as many of you are, I believe that this site plays a significant role in T&T football.

Keep up the good work!

:beermug: :beermug:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thank you bro..

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Well done, SW.net!!  :beermug: :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Update from Hungary about Akeem
« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
I have received the following message from one of the guys who runs Ferencvos supporters club. This is the guy who I have been communicating with since the morning after Akeem became ill.
Mods, please merge when ready.

Hi Kevin,

Today we played away in Diósgyőr (Miskolc) in front of 11 000 supporters on stages. The home team prepared some flags and handings supporting Akeem and also one of their goalkeepers who has been fighting against leukemia for 2 years now. Finally, Fradi won 4-1 and put an end to its downturn. During the celebration our manager, Ricardo Moniz brought Akeem's jersey to the FTC supporters. you can see that on this picture:
http://www.fradi.hu/pics/cikk/kozep/018/529/18529.jpg

During the live interview to the reporter the manager burst into tears when hearing the question about Akeem.

The player is in a much better condition than he was 1-2 weeks ago, hopefully he will recover soon! On wednesday we had a cup match and he was already able to watch some minutes of it on Tv.

and I heard about the generous donations you collected in Trinidad, thank you for that in the name of Akeem and the hospital!

This was my response:

Hi Peter. Thanks for the positive news. I will post a photo soon and I would appreciate it if you could circulate it in Hungary. I only presented the cheque...the money was donated by Trinidad and Tobago supporters from across the globe by the top football website here, sw.net

1]; } ?>