April 26, 2024, 02:53:54 PM

Author Topic: Akeem Adams Thread.  (Read 80457 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic News... Akeem Adams Has Passed Away
« Reply #540 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
... nah FS, no reason to be so defensive. There's a valuable kernel in the radio exchange Brownsugar shared.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »
An update on the Akeem Adams situation. The body of the former national footballer is expected in T&T from Hungary via London sometime during the middle of next week. This morning on the Sporting Edition his former agent Dion Sosa gave a candid interview about his relations with Akeem and his unfortunate demise.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/videos/SOSA-ON-ADAMS--238662611.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »
It's a pity in life we so often hear of the failures of Doctors and not the many lives these guys save on a daily basis,i personaly have been battleing an illness for the past four years and i must say thanks to Doctors both in the US and TT for being here today.

Brownsugar thanks for shareing that post with us,it just shows the kind of expertize we have in our midts and take them for granted.FS i know u may feel targeted but this situation has exposed a lot of things we never thought off,my hope is that we become better because of it. 

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »
It's a pity in life we so often hear of the failures of Doctors and not the many lives these guys save on a daily basis,i personaly have been battleing an illness for the past four years and i must say thanks to Doctors both in the US and TT for being here today.

Brownsugar thanks for shareing that post with us,it just shows the kind of expertize we have in our midts and take them for granted.FS i know u may feel targeted but this situation has exposed a lot of things we never thought off,my hope is that we become better because of it. 
:applause: :applause:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 04, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
Yuh know what was really bothering mih Bakes?  How he end up on a football team both here and abroad and nobody detected that something was wrong.  He didn't do medicals?  Something didn't show up in those tests if they were done??

Then earlier this week, a caller to I95.5fm kinda answer mih questions.  She started off her discourse by stating outright that the requirements for testing at the club level here are poor.  She doubted whether or not he would have been properly screened at his new club.  Based on what she was saying, she came across as someone having a lot of inside information on what happens in terms of medical tests etc. on athletes, footballers etc. and she eventually revealed that she was a member of the medical fraternity.  She was/is involved some research into this area and has indicated her finding to the Ministry of Sport.

She stated she was involved in the investigation of the youth (14) who collapsed and died at his school's cross country run in Tobago.  I suspect I95.5 may do a follow up with her because she appeared to be so knowledgeable about the topic.

But yuh understand where ah coming from??

Sometimes no matter how much testing yuh do yuh can't really detect anything.  The first such case like this that I personally remember was a fella named Hank Gathers, a college basketball player for Loyola Marymount University in California.  He dunked the ball on one end and as he was running back on defense his legs just gave out, and right there on the court he died... in front of cameras, spectators, and sadly, his mother as well.

Same thing happened to Reggie Lewis, who died during practice while playing for the Celtics.  In football same thing happened to Marc-Vivien Foe and Antonio Puerta, both of them dying right on the field.  On a much more personal level, the same thing happened to the 16-year old son of some clients of mine.  Without going into details, sometimes you look back and say "more could have been done" and I suppose more could always be done in hindsight, but a more relevant standard is whether the screening/tests that were done were reasonably sufficient to detect any problems.  I don't know what was done in this case, but I suspect that they did the best they reasonably could have done, although they themselves might be having second thoughts.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
So, to follow your thread, Trini clubs just jokey because they didn't locate something that no doctor in the world would locate unless they specifically carried out tests to check for that condition?

She specifically mentioned the screening both in Trinidad and abroad.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 04, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
The man time come .... no test, no doctor or nothing could have changed that.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
Yuh know what was really bothering mih Bakes?  How he end up on a football team both here and abroad and nobody detected that something was wrong.  He didn't do medicals?  Something didn't show up in those tests if they were done??

Then earlier this week, a caller to I95.5fm kinda answer mih questions.  She started off her discourse by stating outright that the requirements for testing at the club level here are poor.  She doubted whether or not he would have been properly screened at his new club.  Based on what she was saying, she came across as someone having a lot of inside information on what happens in terms of medical tests etc. on athletes, footballers etc. and she eventually revealed that she was a member of the medical fraternity.  She was/is involved some research into this area and has indicated her finding to the Ministry of Sport.

She stated she was involved in the investigation of the youth (14) who collapsed and died at his school's cross country run in Tobago.  I suspect I95.5 may do a follow up with her because she appeared to be so knowledgeable about the topic.

But yuh understand where ah coming from??

Sometimes no matter how much testing yuh do yuh can't really detect anything.  The first such case like this that I personally remember was a fella named Hank Gathers, a college basketball player for Loyola Marymount University in California.  He dunked the ball on one end and as he was running back on defense his legs just gave out, and right there on the court he died... in front of cameras, spectators, and sadly, his mother as well.

Same thing happened to Reggie Lewis, who died during practice while playing for the Celtics.  In football same thing happened to Marc-Vivien Foe and Antonio Puerta, both of them dying right on the field.  On a much more personal level, the same thing happened to the 16-year old son of some clients of mine.  Without going into details, sometimes you look back and say "more could have been done" and I suppose more could always be done in hindsight, but a more relevant standard is whether the screening/tests that were done were reasonably sufficient to detect any problems.  I don't know what was done in this case, but I suspect that they did the best they reasonably could have done, although they themselves might be having second thoughts.

Its not the first time I've heard of someone who is supposedly in good health just dropping down just so and dying on the field.  I remember a case about 2 - 3 years ago somewhere out in Europe if I'm not mistaken and remember feeling the same way and asking myself the same questions.

As far as I know footballers are supposed to be some of the most fit people and it just comes as a shock to hear when something like this happens.  And in Akeem's case I can't wrap my head around a 22 year old having a massive heart attack and nothing showed up before to indicate something was wrong.....

But I do hear the argument that its possible for tests to be run and nothing shows up.......oh well *sigh*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 05, 2014, 06:23:21 AM »
This isn't something you can reliably find medically - I heard a similar case about a youth camp in spain where a British youngster fully fit died of a heart attack - unless his condition was not as subtle as it usually is I think blaming medical professionals is a little harsh

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 05, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
Akeem Adams i must say with your death you have awakened a sleeping giant,the little i know about fitness it's not something you take for granted,yes players are fit but is how fit,you could be fit for one game and unfit for the next,you could be fit this week and unfit next week,it all depends on many things,lifestyle is one,sleep/rest,the foods u eat/drink,the type of training u do etc etc the same way u can go to the Doctor this week and he pass u well and next week u take in sick.

I'm not sure if it's a myth but i know of people when they had to go for medical to enter the Police Force/Army (services)used to drink Coconut water etc etc to clear their system.I know of guys using different things to help them with their game,at one time Glucose sugar was used they say that gives u energy,i know of guys taking a drink,some taking a smoke etc etc and mind u they used to play real good Football,to us they were fit.

I have not been around our club teams to know what type of training they do but i'm almost sure none don't have a Gym where weight and other cardiovascular training can be done,players don't spend any time doing personal training,Coaches can only do so much they depend on players to be ready,as Sam said we expect Coaches to do everything. 

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tribute to Akeem Adams: The young Warrior who unified two nations
« Reply #550 on: January 05, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
this is really sad real young fella with the whole world in front of him. it might not be a bad idea to get a friendly match to honor him, either between trinidad and hungary or w connection and ferencvaros. to raise some money for his family.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Hungarian blogger pays tribute to Akeem adams ( read trinidad newsday sports )
« Reply #551 on: January 06, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
First i wish  to extend sincere  condolences To the family and loves ones of  akeem adams on his  passing , sad indeed   keep courage ......I'm quite frankly still in shock ..! did not know what to make of the news as it relates to akeem  adams  passing ..... Today having  read an article in the trinidad newsday sports written by an hungarian  blogger surely puts some things into perspective as it relates to young Akeem adams and the sort of impact he certainly made with his presence in hungary and other places  he visited, and lived ... i don't want to put spoil on an insightful article , but can simply say today i felt really emotional having read it ......... to the adams family ........you've given the world a gift in a wonderfully parented young man in akeem adams  be proud ..... please accept my sincere sympathy....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Conversations with Akeem
« Reply #552 on: January 06, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
Conversations with Akeem
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA)

The now deceased Akeem Adams was optimistic about life just mere days before his passing on December 30th.

This, according to his longtime friend and teammate Sheldon Bateau who is now based in Belgium. Bateau, a member of the T&T Under 17 and Under 20 World Cup teams of 2007 and 2009, alongside Adams, disclosed contents of his last conversation with the player on December 25th. But even before that, Bateau revealed that Akeem told him that his (Bateau’s) father, Gilbert Bateau, Akeem’s trainer on the national youth teams for over five years, had paid him a visit at the Varosmajor Heart Clinic in Budapest where he had been warded since suffering a heart attack in September.

“Trainer was up here”  Akeem wrote to Sheldon at 5:59pm on November 25th on the WhatsApp chat messenger.

“Who trainer?” Sheldon replied. “Ya father”  Akeem responded three minutes later. “I dream dat or (what)”

The conversation continued in good spirits.

Sheldon: Lol. Probably that have you alive. Bad mind. (Gilbert Bateau’s approach to his workout with the players dating back to 2004.).

Akeem: Lol, I dream trainer up here next to me

Sheldon: Hmm well is a good thing you dream that. All them years of hearing him in your head.

In his final conversation with Akeem on Christmas Day, Bateau said they chatted briefly as he was about to board a flight to Port of Spain but he withheld that information from Akeem.

“I didn’t want to tell him because obviously that might have made him depressed and I wanted to just make sure he was in good spirits at the time,” Bateau told TTFA Media.

“We chatted for a while and he seemed really upbeat.  Another time (while he was warded)  I sent him a photo of a meal I had prepared. It was the first time I cooked curry and he was excited about it.”

Sheldon: “Could eat and talk?”

Akeem: Good man. Everything good.

Sheldon: Nice, nice, Body little weak or much stronger now?
Akeem: Na. I stronger. Everything good on my side.

Sheldon: Nice man that good to hear.

Sheldon's message on Christmas day read: "Merry Christmas  my brother. Know it’s not the way you want it to be but thank God for life still”.   

Those were his final words to the player that wore number 5 for Trinidad and Tobago.

“I was in the gym when I got the news on the phone that he died. For a moment I forgot where I was. I couldn’t function. I didn’t know what to do,” Bateau said.

“The night before I got the news that he had the stroke but I still thought at the time, okay, he’ll catch back himself.  But then when I spoke to my manager (Humphrey Nijman) on the phone he told me he might be brain dead. Then my brother sent me a text that Akeem died. I confirmed it with my manager who was also the agent for Akeem. He is still in a mess at the moment. He was very close to Akeem,” Sheldon said.

“I was following a training program while I was back in Trinidad for the few days but I couldn’t continue after getting the news. Now I’m back in Belgium and I have to get focused again but he’s on my mind right through. I still feel like he’s going to show up later on,” Sheldon said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trini visits Akeem’s memorial site in Hungary
« Reply #553 on: January 06, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
Trini visits Akeem’s memorial site in Hungary
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA)

Robert Solomon, a Trinbagonian, showed up at the Stadion Albert Florian (Ferencvarosi) Stadium in Budapest on Sunday morning to show his respects to the late Akeem Adams. Solomon, a decorator and event planner from Champ Fleurs, arrived in Budapest on the day that Akeem passed away. He had initially planned to visit a friend and to bring in the new year there. Close to a month ago, Robert inquired from the TTFA about the possibility of carrying warm T&T greetings to Akeem at the Varosmajor Heart Clinic in Budapest but missed him, arriving there mere hours after the former T&T defender passed on.

Today he lit a candle at the memorial site and placed a Trinidad and Tobago one dollar note with the words “Rest in peace Akeem. Bless! A Trini was here.”

Solomon recounted the experience, telling TTFA Media “It was great to see the outpouring of love. Everyone I spoke to knows him, he was clearly loved in Hungary. I missed him by a few hours. I made contact with you guys at the TTFA on the possibility of visiting Akeem. Sadly he left before I arrived.

“The whole experience was very moving and I’m really happy I took the time to do this. I lit a candle and left my New Year’s Eve hat hat with a Trinidad dollar bill sticking out of the rim with a few words,” Solomon added.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 07, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
Nice story by that Trini....good to hear he reached out to our federation

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Death at a funeral: Akeem’s passing sparks race to bandwagon
« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
Just to stoke de fire, ah see Njisane Phillip getting ah visit.

Meanwhile, Phillip’s step-father, Phillip Whiteman, will be flying to California today, to be at his bedside. He will be accompanied by a representative of the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,188864.html

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tribute to Akeem Adams - Tough competitor until the end
« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »
Tribute to Akeem Adams - Tough competitor until the end
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

It was not only because of his assertiveness on the field. Akeem Adams left us with the feeling that he was not prepared to throw in the towel, despite his sudden ailment.

It was the year 2005 that I first had a look at this six foot defender, soon after he had won the support of the technical staff of our National Under-17 squad which was selected to begin the long haul to reach FIFA World Cup U-17 finals in Korea. I was actually stunned when I found out that he was just 15 years old.

Amidst a talented bunch of youngsters, Akeem had the build, the strength, and the attitude which would fit into the international scene.

The young giant from Point Fortin often carried a beaming smile as he walked past anyone who cast their eyes upon him as he passed by.

Having followed that youth team from 2005 through to 2009 with close to 30 youth International matches in different parts of South America and Europe, then World Cup finals in South Korea and Egypt, the border between potential and maturity in Akeem’s performance level closed rapidly.

Maybe a little short on positional play at left wing back, but his recovery into the correct position was swift, especially as he had been as fit as nails.

My friend Francisco Maturana, in his capacity as national coach of T&T, sought an opinion on the youngster after he had seen him once in a local match. Sharing my point of view with the experienced Columbian master coach, he immediately acclaimed that Akeem will one day be a star.

Today, Francisco must be very sad to hear of his passing, especially as he once tried to have him travel to Columbia to a club team.

Unfortunately for Akeem and his bereaved family, the enormous battle which he fought from September to the end of December, was perfect evidence of an individual whose aim for success was absolute.

Those who followed his career will be saddened by his loss, and we may now never know where his extraordinary talent would have taken him.

The confidence which his family placed in the hands of the Lord is probably similar to the spiritual principles of Akeem himself.

As a former sportsman and an admirer of Akeem Adams, my prayers will go out to those whose hearts are burdened with love for the young man.

Yes, he will be remembered, not only for his ability to play the game, but for his beaming smile, his honest efforts to perform at all times, and his extreme desire to serve his country with pride.

Rest peacefully, my friend. Our God is fully in charge.

Offline scoreboard

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
AKEEM ADAMS TRIBUTE
« Reply #557 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
TONIGHT  ON  ACTS 25 CABLE  CHANNEL  9  OR  LOG  ON  TO  www.acts25tt.com

@8PM    FOR    A  TRIBUTE  TO  AKEEM  ADAMS

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Just to stoke de fire, ah see Njisane Phillip getting ah visit.

Meanwhile, Phillip’s step-father, Phillip Whiteman, will be flying to California today, to be at his bedside. He will be accompanied by a representative of the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,188864.html

Ah was coming to post this.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 11, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »
Hi guys sorry but i had to bring this topic to the forfront because i think we have droped the ball on Akeem,may be everything is alright now but i was not updated on what went on with his burial,if the body was flown to T&T,where the burial took place etc etc 

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 11, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
Hi guys sorry but i had to bring this topic to the forfront because i think we have droped the ball on Akeem,may be everything is alright now but i was not updated on what went on with his burial,if the body was flown to T&T,where the burial took place etc etc

"We Wish To Advise that the body of deceased National Footballer Akeem Adams will return home on the evening of Tuesday January 14th along with his mother Ancilla Dick-Adams and his brother Akini.

There will be a press conference at the VIP Lounge of the Piarco International Airport shortly after the arrival of the British Airways Flight BA2159 (scheduled arrival at 6pm).

The Funeral of Akeem Adams is tentatively scheduled for Friday January 17th at 11:30am at the Mahaica Oval in Point Fortin. Further details will be revealed at Tuesday’s Press Conference."

That was via Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors facebook page earlier today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
From Presentation College Lions Facebook page:

Captain of National Big 5 Champions, Yohance Alexander, holds up an authentic replica of a jersey that was given to the family of Akeem Adams. A memorial service to honour the lives of Akeem, and fellow student Christian Ramkairsingh was held at the college's auditorium this morning. It was announced that Akeem's #4 jersey will be retired by the college, and he was posthumously awarded the college's highest honour - The Principal's Medal for his service and contribution to Presentation College, San Fernando and Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

Courtesy Damion Melville
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:34:30 PM by Tallman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
R.I.P Bro.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
RIP. This is still unbeleivable. God Bless!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
It would be nice to qualify today.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
Wow his Casket has the T&T Flag and his club team's Flag. that's real powerful.

1]; } ?>