April 24, 2024, 09:53:14 AM

Author Topic: Warner to sue Lasana Liburd  (Read 12637 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Warner to sue Lasana Liburd
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Jack sues journalist over Twitter comment

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Jack_sues_journalist_over_Twitter_comment-152839815.html

FORMER FIFA vice president Jack Warner has sued former Express journalist Lasana Liburd for libel arising out of a statement he (Liburd) allegedly published on the social networking site www.twitter.com on February 16.

The lawsuit was filed yesterday in the Port of Spain High Court by attorneys Om Lalla and Dereck Balliram.

On April 18, Liburd was issued a pre-action protocol letter by Warner's attorneys who called on him to give an undertaking, in writing, that he will not repeat, publish or cause to be published, any further statements which may be deemed to be defamatory. Liburd was also called upon to retract the statement and apologise on Twitter and on his website wired868.com.

The pre-action letter read in part: "The seriousness of the defamatory words is compounded by the fact that it purports to shed light on fraudulent appropriation of monies which were donated to the earthquake stricken country of Haiti. It is apparent that the words published are done with the dominant motive of discrediting the intended claimant's (Warner's) credibility in the political party locally as well as his reputation of good standing internationally in the sport of football.

Warner, the chairman of the United National Congress (UNC) party, is also the Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West and the Minister of Works and Infrastructure.

Liburd, through his attorney Dave de Peiza, responded in writing on May 10. De Peiza said his client (Liburd) will vigorously defend any claim brought against him by Warner since, prior to publishing the article, he (Liburd) contacted Warner for his side of the story but Warner declined.

Warner is seeking compensation and an injunction restraining Liburd from further publishing, or causing to be published, the said words or any similar words defamatory of him (Warner). —KS

oh, oh......Lasana gone and make the man ACTUALLY sue for once.......well, well, well......ah hope Lasana walk with a stake in court, and some holy water, and garlic, a Bible or two........he need all the help he could get to fight a vampire.....in fact carry two Ghita too yes.......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
If the COE realy belong to Concacaf could they have made a claim on it. Bakes and the other legalees??!!

Not if they built it on land owned by Warner....!

And I think it was a gift from the Koreans for getting the World Cup...

Even if the structure was built on land owned by Warner they could still retain ownership rights.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
Must be nice tuh be Om Lalla yes... not only does representing Jack guarantee yuh work (and never a dull day in the office at that), but yuh getting one setta free money with these dotish litigation Jack does be filing.

Meanwhile, back at the farm...

The revelation of Warner's legal ownership of a $22.5 million CONCACAF center of excellence in his native Trinidad and Tobago stunned officials. They were also outraged to learn that Warner and former CONCACAF vice president Lisle Austin took out an unauthorized mortgage on the sprawling property in 2007.

Read more

Lord... this man (and by extension, his government) eh have no shame nah.  The man take FIFA funds earmarked for CONCACAF and built himself a top-notch facility.  Yuh mean nobody else in Trinidad find this disturbing??

Actually, Bakes, you couldn't be more right! Allegedly, Mr Warner created a construction company named CONCACAF who built the stadium. I've never seen any proof of this, so it could just be another story, but its a story that's well repeated!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
Must be nice tuh be Om Lalla yes... not only does representing Jack guarantee yuh work (and never a dull day in the office at that), but yuh getting one setta free money with these dotish litigation Jack does be filing.

The revelation of Warner's legal ownership of a $22.5 million CONCACAF center of excellence in his native Trinidad and Tobago stunned officials. They were also outraged to learn that Warner and former CONCACAF vice president Lisle Austin took out an unauthorized mortgage on the sprawling property in 2007.

Read more

Lord... this man (and by extension, his government) eh have no shame nah.  The man take FIFA funds earmarked for CONCACAF and built himself a top-notch facility.  Yuh mean nobody else in Trinidad find this disturbing??

Actually, Bakes, you couldn't be more right! Allegedly, Mr Warner created a construction company named CONCACAF who built the stadium. I've never seen any proof of this, so it could just be another story, but its a story that's well repeated!

Concacaf
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »

Read more

Concacaf

Aha....lowercase? Phew, for a minute there I thought Jack was trying to pass off Concacaf as CONCACAF  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

Read more

Concacaf

Aha....lowercase? Phew, for a minute there I thought Jack was trying to pass off Concacaf as CONCACAF  :rotfl:

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »

Yeah, that's been the story for some time... word just reach CONCACAF... (upper case) that Concacaf (lower case) really owns the property that CONCACAF (upper case) thought they owned.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
Yo Wacko, CFU are accusing you of being a thief and a robber. You suing them too or what? They sullying your good name around the football world. Vice President of fifa my ass.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner vs Liburd: The real story behind the withdrawal of the libel lawsuit
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »
Lalla-land: My game of legal bluff with Jack Warner (Part one)
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Independent Liberal Party (ILP) interim leader and ex-FIFA vice president Jack Warner sued me for substantial damages, a retraction and public apology as well as legal costs but he ended up offering an apology instead, via a legal document lodged in the High Court.

Here is the real story of Jack Warner, William McCormick QC, Om Lalla and Dereck Balliram versus Lasana Liburd, journalist and Wired868 managing director.

On 27 February 2013, I tried to make myself comfortable in the KR Lalla and Company’s waiting room on Edward Street, Port of Spain. In a few minutes, I expected to meet attorney Dereck Balliram, who was representing Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner in our libel matter, and finally look him in the eye and make my feelings clear.

But the afternoon did not go as I imagined; not even close.

Balliram’s office was a stone’s throw from where I sat and I could heard his secretary announce my presence.

“Mr Liburd is here in the lobby,” she said.

She seemed to pause for dramatic effect.

“And,” she continued, “he is representing himself!”

In a split second, I heard the laughter from Balliram and his secretary flood the reception area.
I do not think it possible for a man of my complexion to turn red; but, just this once, I felt like I did.

Balliram never stepped outside his office to greet me. His secretary returned with my forms for the notification of a change of attorney and I signed where she pointed before being politely shown the door.

I felt like a delivery boy.

That was the day my libel case with Warner started in earnest.

The then Minister of National Security had Balliram as instructing attorney, Om Lalla as advocate attorney and British barrister William McCormick QC as the guy who would lead the charge in court. I, a freelance journalist and owner of the Wired868 site that had not made a dollar up to that point, had just agreed to take them all on.

If I lost, Warner was seeking: a full and public retraction of the publication and an apology in their terms, a promise not to repeat or re-publish the allegation, an undertaken that I remove all articles related to the article, the payment of a substantial sum in damages to demonstrate the baselessness of the allegation and compensation for the injury to his reputation and distress and the payment of his legal costs.

Read More

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:47:49 AM by Flex »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
The errors from Warner’s camp continued straight to the close and only emboldened me. So many people seem to get by on bluster in Trinidad and Tobago; perhaps I could hold my own with little more than common sense and integrity.

I think this line sums up the culture in this country exactly. Little substance and even less strength of character and common sense to stand up to it. Brad Boyce, Bas Panday, Ferguson and Galbaransingh , Warner and that boy who stabbed the doubles vendor on Cipriani Blvd. are also examples of a culture fault, where the people of means refuse to accept and face the consequences of their actions. Keep up the fight Lasana.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Liburd should counter sue.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »
can't wait for part 2

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Trick or tweet: The truth behind the Haitian aid lawsuit (Part two)
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Jack Warner’s instructing attorney, Dereck Balliram, had insisted for months that any settlement between both parties in our libel suit would not be for publication and a private matter. I never believed him; and I was right to be skeptical.
I had barely left Port of Spain, after Justice Rajkumar accepted Warner’s withdrawal of his lawsuit, when my phone started ringing with media inquiries.
The Trinidad Express never called me. And yet that media house made the biggest deal of the case. Its headline screamed: “Liburd apologises…”
It was not just wrong; it was the reverse of what actually happened. And I will always wonder about the motives of the Express news desk on that day.
Ironically, as a former employee, I gave Express some of its best work on Warner.
Seven years ago, my exposé on Jack Warner’s diversion of Trinidad and Tobago’s 2006 World Cup tickets into Simpaul Travel, his family-owned business, led to the then FIFA vice-president being the first FIFA Executive Committee member to ever be found guilty of breaching its Code of Ethics.
The US-based Fox Soccer television programme decreed that it was the best World Cup story of the year; even before a ball was kicked in the Germany tournament.
Warner had been upset by my probing into Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) affairs from long before then. But he was so incensed at the Simpaul Ticket scandal, which ruined his chance of a national award, that he promised to crush me and even mentioned the article on his From Zero to Hero autobiography.
His chance to ruin me finally came in 2013.
All Warner had to do was step into the Port of Spain High Court, endure cross-examination and the re-hashing of his handling of $4.76 million in aid money meant for Haiti, hope that I could not prove he took the money himself and then convince the judge to award him a hefty settlement that I could not manage.
I was so confident that the former football administrator and current Independent Liberal Party (ILP) interim leader could not pull it off that I gambled everything I had on the libel case. I decided to represent myself in court.
I had discussed the legal matter with family and friends, including British investigative journalist Andrew Jennings.
Jennings and I agreed that Warner probably sued because I was now an independent publisher and lacked the financial means to stand up to him. Worse, how could I be certain that Warner was fighting me with his own money when his advocate attorney, Om Lalla, had allegedly just benefitted from a $5 million NIDCO contract?
Read more: http://wired868.com/2013/10/16/trick-or-tweet-the-truth-behind-warners-haitian-aid-lawsuit-part-two/

1]; } ?>