March 28, 2024, 08:46:57 AM

Author Topic: lend mih yuh eyes dey a minute  (Read 3757 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
lend mih yuh eyes dey a minute
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
workin on a couple vfx shorts loosely based on a trainin course ah buy( ah change plenty ting ;D )

daiz ah frame sample below, ah color correct and ting real plenty .....it lookin "aight" but ah still find like it eh "fitting" in d scene to right....ah jus bein' OCD or or u seein it too.....if anybody does do similar work and could chime in , it will be much appreciated............maybe ah need to model more masking objects to bounce light off ???..weh alyuh tink

oh yeah d video was intentionally shot in overcast conditions...to much natural shadows bad for this kinda work

I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lend mih yuh eyes dey a minute
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
 me eh no IT man..and it might be mih cataracts....But yeah, it eh quite fitting/blending in 'naturally'

Perhaps if yuh put it on the grass.....or maybe make it look like it hailin ah maxi
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
try ah night scene with some exposure....

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
yea, normally dem 2 stag bottles would have either a doubles or pie wrapper next to them, in a crunched position.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
yea, normally dem 2 stag bottles would have either a doubles or pie wrapper next to them, in a crunched position.

ent
I pity the fool....

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
I does always tell people art is the only subject I ever fail. and i fail it twice. but it seem to my untrained eye that the front of the dude should be darker (not as shiny) because it is shaded from the sun. where is the sun in your scene?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
I does always tell people art is the only subject I ever fail. and i fail it twice. but it seem to my untrained eye that the front of the dude should be darker (not as shiny) because it is shaded from the sun. where is the sun in your scene?

I am already addressing the gloss......the light is provided by an HDR panorama image- (image based lighting)....it was overcast but the sun would have been over the robots left shoulder, there is a light source in that position for the purpose of creating shadows since HDR dont help with shadowing much, may apply some more blurring there since I think the shadows are too heavy, given what I observed while shooting this.
I pity the fool....

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:52 AM »
It seems like your shadow is in the wrong place.  The tree nearest has no shadow falling to it's front.  You image however has it's shadow falling to the front. 

Another inconsistency is the glare on your image.   If the main light source is behind you, your front would be solid colors.   I would leave the glare and flip the shadow.  It looks very cool.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
It seems like your shadow is in the wrong place.  The tree nearest has no shadow falling to it's front.  You image however has it's shadow falling to the front. 

Another inconsistency is the glare on your image.   If the main light source is behind you, your front would be solid colors.   I would leave the glare and flip the shadow.  It looks very cool.

yeah preach ah end up removing d light, kill d direct shadow pass and gone back to an indirect shadow pass by operating on diffuse pass layers, den colour correct d shadow pass to heavy it up lil bit

ah tink it almost there

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:22:01 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
Yeah Lefty it feels a lil more natural for me.  It feels like an overcast day.  Is there a way to match ur resolutions?   It seems like your pic and character are at different resolutions.  That VFX thing is a science in itself.  Would have liked to know more about that. 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
Yeah Lefty it feels a lil more natural for me.  It feels like an overcast day.  Is there a way to match ur resolutions?   It seems like your pic and character are at different resolutions.  That VFX thing is a science in itself.  Would have liked to know more about that. 

the day was overcast and thankfully so.....shooting video for vfx is indeed a science, it requires a lot of planning, I shot video about 8 times for various attempts and had to discard the both the footage and the projects for various reasons relating to the video being "untrackable" and "unsolvable" (the video processing stage) or to many shadows ...............in fact the footage for this attempt is the only clip left of 10 shot on the day and still the F-stop was set a bit too high...... live-view on the t3i doesn't seem to be 100% faithful.....didn't look this low contrast on the camera screen

so I have two choices I can saturated the footage a bit or "defocus" the robot so that they match up

once I get this looking right I plan to do about 3-5 clips, then work up a few other ideas I have in my head with new shoots of course...........one issue I grapple with right now is that the 50mm lens on an APS-C sensor is a pain in tight spaces...but also creates challenges for out videos too been lookin at this though....it was made with follow focus in mind

as for visual fx it's basically adding digital elements to live action footage, look a good VFX breakdown vid dat explain the processes better than words.... u can also google vfx break down to see more...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NdJYlKfyjg8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NdJYlKfyjg8</a>

I use blender 3d it free but d interface ent to friendly, but it have most of what u need for indie VFX work though be it on a level or two below d big boys like 3ds max, after effects, Silo, Maya and such

still u get a:
Compositor
video editor\sequencer - lil finicky
audio management(not audio editing eh)
3d modelling and animation
particle effects - fire, water(finicky), smoke
physics
camera motion tracking ( dais what I doin now)

and plenty more but read tutorials and be patient if u try it.....is not ah walk in d park for the uninitiated :( ..........I give up on it plenty times before dey change some tings dat give mih d encouragement to throw mih illegal copies of MAX and Maya :beermug:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:25:35 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
done............I think...........time for animation
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
me eh no IT man..and it might be mih cataracts....But yeah, it eh quite fitting/blending in 'naturally'

Perhaps if yuh put it on the grass.....or maybe make it look like it hailin ah maxi

coulda swear I did reply to you an' contro ??? anyways apologies...... tanks for takin ah look and postin back........and contro shootin d night with a DSLR would produce too much ISO noise and mess with the tracking

and Dutti dat maxi idea eh bad cept for maxi cyah pass dey no more :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:38:31 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
Lefty the only additional thing I would look at is the eyes.  Everything on him has some definition and light interplay.  However, his eyes seem very flat. 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
Lefty the only additional thing I would look at is the eyes.  Everything on him has some definition and light interplay.  However, his eyes seem very flat. 

yeah the I'm set to light up at a given stage by the artist that made the training course I mentioned above, will change that at the animation stage in the days to come I also utilized gaussian blur to a defocusing to the robot that might need adjusting.
I pity the fool....

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
I going and watch Promethous now.   ;D

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »
leffs the sort of shadows I see on the ground, i assume they're form the flag poles? if that is the case there should be shadow generated from the beast as well?
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:35:51 AM »
leffs the sort of shadows I see on the ground, i assume they're form the flag poles? if that is the case there should be shadow generated from the beast as well?

what u are seeing in "ambient occlusion" to use a "wrong" term, the flag poles won't casting heavy shadows also d promenade need ah power washing ;D , what u seeing is the effect of light bounces also if u take eyes further into the background the trees and such are probably 40 meters away and providing cover also I noted the shadows I and others were casting or not casting on the day.... though I'll heavy them up back a bit and add some blur.

though I feel I will start doing d animation testing and comback to fixing the lighting since I also have to find a solution to the transformer not looking "real" in "car mode"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:49:03 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »
this is d final for this stage of development, have started d animation and after dat goh be final composition to fix d remainin issues..... goh post back when it have more to show
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
small animation test switch to HD of yuh can ............it have plenty issues all over d place, d animation rough in parts......and the tree at left messes with the perception of depth, but how 'integrated into d scenery d robot looking otherwise

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jYaOGIZrj0Q?rel=0&amp;amp;vq=hd1080" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jYaOGIZrj0Q?rel=0&amp;amp;vq=hd1080</a>
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>