April 28, 2024, 04:13:57 PM

Author Topic: Rampaul: IPL helped me become a better bowler  (Read 907 times)

socafighter

Rampaul: IPL helped me become a better bowler
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »

Ravi Rampaul

Representing West Indies might be a big incentive to excel, but with the West Indies Cricket Board perennially cash- strapped, the Indian Premier League plays a big part in helping players from the Caribbean chart their own destiny.

Paceman Ravi Rampaul does not deny that the IPL has been a gateway to a comfortable life, but adds that plying his trade in the cash-rich league has also made him a cannier bowler.

Speaking to Mail Today, Rampaul said that ever since he represented Royal Challengers Bangalore, he has learnt little tricks that help him catch the opposition batsmen napping.
“My first season in the IPL really lifted my career. The experience really widened my thinking, while making a significant difference financially.
I am sure it will help me a lot in the years to come. Players know that if they score runs and take wickets, they can get an IPL contract which is extra motivation for them,” he said.

Rampaul is known to get breakthroughs early in the innings. And while no bowler can guarantee an early wicket, Rampaul backs himself to deliver with the new ball.

Read full story here...http://talkyuhcricket.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=395

Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today

socafighter

Re: Rampaul: IPL helped me become a better bowler
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

Thanks Ravi , I noticed you didn't say the great Opis Gibson , Bowling coach of the West Indies .

Well its not a surprise , how many bowlers have improved under him in the West Indies ?

Noneeeeeeeee. :-[ :-[

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

Thanks Ravi , I noticed you didn't say the great Opis Gibson , Bowling coach of the West Indies .

Well its not a surprise , how many bowlers have improved under him in the West Indies ?

Not exactly a true statement... Roach, Rampaul and others have improved under Gibson's watch, and u do hear them talking about hitting the right areas and doing specific things that they've worked on with Gibson. The question to Ravi seemed to be more about how the IPL has helped his growth.

We also have to consider that the WI setup is different to the UK where Gibson had a lot of success. In the UK things are more centralized and there are more resources for ECB coaches to work with guys BEFORE they make the test team.

The benefit of the IPL is the competitive environment with the best players on show. Mankind must improve....unless they just not willing to learn.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
But nobody could help him lose that belly.

Hail out Jenny Craig yute.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

socafighter

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

Not exactly a true statement... Roach, Rampaul and others have improved under Gibson's watch, and u do hear them talking about hitting the right areas and doing specific things that they've worked on with Gibson. The question to Ravi seemed to be more about how the IPL has helped his growth.

We also have to consider that the WI setup is different to the UK where Gibson had a lot of success. In the UK things are more centralized and there are more resources for ECB coaches to work with guys BEFORE they make the test team.

The benefit of the IPL is the competitive environment with the best players on show. Mankind must improve....unless they just not willing to learn.

Wrong ..I disagree

Ravi has always been a good bowler , his problems relates to coaches who over bowled him when he was young ..ie Check out all the young Ozzies on the shelf same problems.notice he stated he couldn't run and it relates to an over weight problem.

Roach is improving based on Coaches in the IPL ..he had a no ball problem , and inconsistency problems.
His stint in the IPL has helped him improved immensely.

Did you not read when Sammy said how much he has learned in the IPL ,,he made this statement
" I must decide what type of ball I will bowl before I start my runup "...why didnt Opiss help him with such a simple theory.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
What Sammy is saying in nothing different than what any bowler worth their salt would say or should be saying. Again, the IPL is a rare environment where u have the world's best bouncing ideas off of each other, so it's not the coaches alone.

At this point Gibson's work speaks for itself...the team is doing better (still losing key sessions in matches) and bowlers are coming up the ranks. Take Jason Holder and look at the seam position and what he tries to do when he's bowling. You can see that work is being done.

Ravi has always been a good bowler (since U-15 days). His problem is not over bowling...because he would have had a lot more back or shoulder problems. If u look at his frame now versus U-19 days, his problem is that he is a bit on the heavy side....hence the shin splints and knee injuries.

If he's fit I would always have him in my side because to me the best combination is Rampaul, Roach, a third fast bowler (edwards if fit, Tino or whoever else) and a spinner (shillingford or narine depending on the conditions).

Yes, Gibson handled the Sarwan and Chanders thing badly, but I personally don't care what Gibson does as long as the results are there....

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

1]; } ?>