April 25, 2024, 11:38:11 AM

Author Topic: Video streaming devices  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Video streaming devices
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Anybody use these exclusively for watching tv ..or ..as a supplement to your cable/satellite provider?

I goin and get either a Roku or Netgear box this evenin self (I still readin reviews. I eh sure yet)
...and I thnk I firing mih cable provider by the end of the month ..dey teefin mih money steady for years

Anybody here have real world experience/headaches with these boxes? is unlimited internet a must-have? etc

I new to alternative tv
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Video streaming devices
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Make a media box
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
I have a WDTV Live Plus, very good for watching Blu-Ray rips but not much else.  It has Pandora, youtube and a few other services but I doh use those on my tv. Horrible remote and interface.

I believe Roku gives you a lot more media services.

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
Roku is good, but no web browser.  Sony Google TV is much better. Unlimited internet is a must.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
I cut the cord earlier this year. I got a couple Mohu Leaf over-the-air HD antennae for the local channels and I have a Roku, Logitech Revue with Google TV and use a Xbox for the downstairs tv. I picked up the Mohus on sale and they do a decent job getting the big local channels, but  I live in a smaller city and close to the stations.

The Roku is great because of their choice of "channels". Keep in mind that some are free and some require subscriptions. I mostly use Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime, but my wife has a bunch of workout channels saved. The downside to Roku is the lack of web brower, no Youtube channel and the UI can be a bit cumbersome if yuh trying to navigate a lot of channels. Overall a great value for the price.

I really want to like the Logitech and Google TV but to be honest it can be really buggy. The Chrome browser crashes a lot and the system tends to freeze up. I used it a lot until I got the Roku. Now I really just use it to stream Youtube vids from my phone to the TV. I have read that newer Google TV units are much more stable but I dont see a need for that as I am satisfied with the Roku and Xbox.

You definitely need a broadband with a decent data cap. I have a broadband cap of 300GB/month but I have never come close to using that, don't even think i have used 50% in a month. The usage was definitely less than i anticipated, even with my son and wife watching plenty on the weekends.

A general downside to cord cutting is the loss of access to live football. I get ESPN3 on the Xbox so I can see international ball but no EPL. I found a work around with some live streaming sites online.

If you really considering cord cutting check out Janko Roettgers at Gigaom.com (http://gigaom.com/author/jroettgers/). He covers digital media and is their resident cord cutting expert. He does reviews on hardware and services for cord cutters.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:52:39 AM by grimm01 »

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
I have a Roku which provides quite a range of content. I just saw Real media came out with an app that will stream your PC files to the ROKU - RealPlayer Cloud. Will test that this weekend hopefully. Roku also has an update that will allow streaming from certain Android devices.

Also have the Chromecast which is limited (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube) but is cheap and works pretty well for what it does. It will also stream from your Chrome browser on your PC.

I have a whole stack of other devices in the closet which someone shipped to me from the Streaming Media trade show which I never even bothered trying out - WDTV, Netgear NeoTV, Video Orb, VideoSonic

BTW Google is dropping GoogleTV and will come out with another more flexible product called AndroidTV.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
here check this out

http://www.xbmchub.com/
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »
Appreciate the feedback dey folks

Looks like ah returning this Netgear Neo and switchin it for a Roku..like most of you say, ah hear the interface is crap but seems like it might be better overall

@grimm..I  did factor in loss of sports and local news/weather an ting..but I could get around that
Except maybe world cup next year ah might hadda sign up again

@e-man is too bad yuh didnt use to sen dem tings out for beta testing, ah sure it have endless willing guinea pigs on this board ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
i have two rokus...that lil box is a wonder...between amazon prime and crackle i have a wealth of shows at my disposal...anything else i could check hulu...the only thing is meh sports but rojadirecta.me never fail meh yet ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
i have two rokus...that lil box is a wonder...between amazon prime and crackle i have a wealth of shows at my disposal...anything else i could check hulu...the only thing is meh sports but rojadirecta.me never fail meh yet ;D

You able to pull in the bootleg sports on the Roku? Or is that a PC thing?
I had an XBMC box, but the PS3 ended up being easier to use. I am watching sports on the PC anyway (usually 3 games going at the same time, 1 on tv, 2 others on the pc), might go for the Chromecast.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
yeah i watch the sports on the laptop...my days for watching games on the tv over for now...dem chirren take over the tvs and now with the roku they could watch a whole  season of whatever show take they fancy...pressure!

1]; } ?>