March 28, 2024, 12:04:59 PM

Author Topic: Is being a defender better for Kenwyne Jones?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline MilkyX

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Is being a defender better for Kenwyne Jones?
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:05 AM »
I've heard on many occasions that Kenwyne  Jones was initially a defender. He is tall and powerful, jumps well, and has the speed that any decent right back should have. After watching the match on Tuesday and observing Kenwyne for a number of years, I wonder if a return to the back-line is something he and Mr Hart should consider seriously.
          For all his attributes, Kenwyne seems to be missing the one thing that would make him a great striker. Finishing prowess. It's a part of his game that's inconsistent to say the least, most evident by his constant difficulty in finishing one on one chances at club and international level. Chances that any true striker would put away blind folded.
          Is it his defensive upbringing coming to the surface? Should he consider playing a role like that of David Luiz or Leighton Banes? And if so, who could possibly fill that number 9 shirt as the top goal hunter not to mention that attacking midfield role the team seems to be lacking. Love to hear the comments. Peace.
Only the humble can be truly great!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Is being a defender better for Kenwyne Jones?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
I've heard on many occasions that Kenwyne  Jones was initially a defender. He is tall and powerful, jumps well, and has the speed that any decent right back should have. After watching the match on Tuesday and observing Kenwyne for a number of years, I wonder if a return to the back-line is something he and Mr Hart should consider seriously.
          For all his attributes, Kenwyne seems to be missing the one thing that would make him a great striker. Finishing prowess. It's a part of his game that's inconsistent to say the least, most evident by his constant difficulty in finishing one on one chances at club and international level. Chances that any true striker would put away blind folded.
          Is it his defensive upbringing coming to the surface? Should he consider playing a role like that of David Luiz or Leighton Banes? And if so, who could possibly fill that number 9 shirt as the top goal hunter not to mention that attacking midfield role the team seems to be lacking. Love to hear the comments. Peace.

He is professionally contracted as a striker, you want Hart to tank the man career?  Have you given any thought to the possibility that it will cause his stock to sink to abysmal depths?  KJ is more of a CF that ST, he wins most balls in the air despite defenders constantly climbing all over him, he holds up the ball well, makes good short passes in the final third and can put away chances more often than not.  World class rated strikers does botch some of the same plays as KJ, (albeit less often) but then KJ isn't worldclass is he?  Who is the last proffessional player @ 29 years old that you can point to that went from front to back?  Moving to midfield isn't comparable to what you suggesting so doh even come and say Yorke, Scholes, etc!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
How quick we forget one game without scoring in National colors and we back here, in my opinion NO! been there done that he striker now and playing well.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
Nah, I would have agree a year ago, but Kenwyne Jones will get much better, de man made a 360 turn around, he have good artibutes to be a top striker, maybe not yet, but could, his confidence was a problem but give him time. If he shoots more he will score more, simple as that, unfortunately, his coach in de EPL is not helping him develop.

Its never to late, he might be a late learner, but this is a position he loves and once you love something it will eventually work for you.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
SH could try KJ as a defender because as MilkyX explained,Jones has all the attributes to become a better defender than a striker,he could be given a try.Jones does not have a good first touch and he does not finish good enough to be a top striker.I have seen Jones miss too many chances that most strikers in the lesser Leagues would put away,he also misses too may for TT.I feel sure that had Jones put away half the chances in our 2010 bid for SA we would have qualified.Sure,he is now looking like a hard working player than he did before,but the truth is he does not look like the one to take advantage of mistakes by the opposition.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
Kenwyne is a forward. Why would we play our forwards in de back?

Instead of worrying about Kenwyne, worry about where the other forwards are.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
Steups

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
Steups
Hahahhaha...I now coming and post de same damn ting!!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »

this post was warranted after the loss to guyana and even before that but what I am seeing from KJ now, hes a changed player, i enjoy him up top and he is earning it... he continues to grow with Hart and I believe he will take us through to 2018 imho...

Offline MilkyX

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »

this post was warranted after the loss to guyana and even before that but what I am seeing from KJ now, hes a changed player, i enjoy him up top and he is earning it... he continues to grow with Hart and I believe he will take us through to 2018 imho...
I actually agree with you. I only brought this up because I heard a lot of fans at the game and online mention it. He may not be world class yet but he's the best we have up front. Also, he's young enough to improve his game to greater heights. He also needs a SS or AM to play off of. Playing hime up front alone isn't helping. Let's hope he has a great season a club level this year.
Only the humble can be truly great!

Offline RehanaOmardeenfan

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

I actually agree with you. I only brought this up because I heard a lot of fans at the game and online mention it. He may not be world class yet but he's the best we have up front. Also, he's young enough to improve his game to greater heights. He also needs a SS or AM to play off of. Playing hime up front alone isn't helping. Let's hope he has a great season a club level this year.

:-\

And that is depressing.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
Kenwyne Jones is 29 years old and will not improve significantly any position at this stage. We are seeing him at his best .

1]; } ?>