April 20, 2024, 07:03:54 AM

Author Topic: Yorke, Crespo roped in for Indian Super League football  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke, Crespo roped in for Indian Super League football
« on: October 21, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
Yorke, Crespo roped in for Indian Super League football
rediff.com

The much-anticipated IPL-style football league, which will be called 'Indian Super League', will kick-off in January 2014. Organisers IMG-Reliance, on Monday, announced that international stars, former Trinidad and Tobago and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, former Sweden captain and Arsenal star Fredrik Ljungberg, ex-Argentina striker Hernan Crespo and former France and Arsenal winger Robert Pires have confirmed their availability for the event that will run through March.

"Crespo, Yorke, Ljunberg and Pires have confirmed their availability," a statement from IMG-Reliance read.

With these signings, the names of five marquee players out of eight are known and the remaining three are expected to be named in a few days.

IMG-Reliance has also signed up former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel and 1998 World Cup winner France international Marcel Desailly as two of the eight managers for the January 18 to March 30 tournament.

The announcement came a day after IMG-Reliance entered into a multi-million dollar deal with Star India to become equity partners in a joint venture for the next 10 years to run the league.

Star India, in which media baron Rupert Murdoch has a majority stake, reportedly has a one-third stake in the JV and has acquired broadcast and sponsorship rights for the league.

Reports said Star India, which also holds telecast rights to BCCI cricket matches in India, is paying Rs 2,000 crore.

"Reliance Industries Ltd., Star India and International Management Group are set to launch the 'Indian Super League', an unrivalled football championship that will foster local talent and feature international stars with the aim of making the game one of the country's flagship sport and India – a name to reckon with in the global arena," IMG-Reliance said.

"The League promises to revolutionise the sport from the very get-go, leveraging the strengths of all three partners who are focused on growing the game to national prominence, offer Indian football greater global exposure and eventually help India qualify for the 2026 World Cup," it added.

The organisers also said that they could be looking for a window for the second edition of the league next year itself.

"The 'Indian Super League' will feature eight city specific teams to start with and will tap the burgeoning interest among the country's young population that's increasingly seen taking interest in the sport globally. The League will kick-off in January 2014 and will run through March 2014, with plans for a second window in the same year."

Commenting on the development, IMG-Reliance chairperson Nita Ambani said, "Football, with its largely untapped potential in the country, has the opportunity to grow to an unrivalled commercial success quite unlike any other sport. We hope the growing football footprint will pave the way for the nation's sporting renaissance."

Uday Shankar, CEO of Star India, said, "India is hungry for its second sport. Combined with our expertise in sports production, our attempt is to bring an unparallelled football experience to our viewers.

"For far too long, the Indian sports fan has quietly waited for this revolution on the cusp of which we stand today. Our objective is nothing short of creating a movement around football in India. We want to put India on the global map."

"The 'Indian Super League' will feature international football stars combined with good football facilities, rivalry between India's biggest cities and the roar of a billion passionate fans," said Mike Dolan, Chairman and CEO IMG Worldwide.

"It envisions creating new football powerhouses in this part of the world, which will rise to global prominence as the country and the sport further develop."

The league will feature eight teams with marquee players from across the world along with India's national stars and club and domestic talents.

The bidding for the eight city-based franchises will be held between October 25 to November 5. The invitation to tender document has already been floated by IMG-Reliance with the base price to buy a franchise is reported to be around Rs 25 crore.

The opening match of the tournament will be played in Mumbai.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke, Crespo roped in for Indian Super League football
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »
Hold on, are they actually playing? Yorke for national team! :p

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:10 AM »
Very good idea, I guess people building on the CPL success, TTFA and TT Pro League, take note.

I would assume they all are playing?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
maybe star coaches? similar to the Caribbean Premier League
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »
Very good idea, I guess people building on the CPL success, TTFA and TT Pro League, take note.

Sando, what are you suggesting...that Jabloteh pay Yorkie US$50k per month for 3 months? How would that help anything?
Talking to proper footballers in India, although this league brings high profile coverage and big crowds, they would prefer the money spent in building their national league so they can compete internationally. 

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
US$50k per month for a 42 year old retired player, WOW.....

How much the CPL paid for their marquee players though and then they make it back?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
US$50k per month for a 42 year old retired player, WOW.....

How much the CPL paid for their marquee players though and then they make it back?

Sando, I'm only guessing that figure!! But you can bet he ain't playing for the same TT$8,000 pm that our local international strikers get paid if they're lucky!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
Alessandro Del Piero has agreed to join Indian side the Delhi Dynamos.
ESPNSOCCER.NET

Alessandro Del Piero's decision to join the new Indian Super League has sparked a political debate back home in Italy.

With two Italian military personnel currently being held in an Indian jail under suspicion of shooting dead two local fishermen, relations between the two nations are frayed.

And as a result, Del Piero's announcement on Thursday night that he had agreed to join the Delhi Dynamos has therefore drawn condemnation.

"He doesn't need the money or the fame," said politician Giorgia Meloni, calling on Del Piero not to sign a contract with the Indian club. "He's already an undisputed symbol of Italian football and a world football icon.

"If he were to make a stand on this matter, it would certainly not fall on deaf ears and it could be an important signal to the Indian government and the international community."

Del Piero has no intention of reneging on his agreement, though, and has asked not to be used as a political tool.

"I know that my decision to go and play in India has raised a bit of perplexity in view of the relations between Italy and India, in view of the two Maro [Italian military] being held there," he said on his own website.

"As an Italian, like all of my compatriots, I am not unaffected by the issue regarding our Maro and I hope that there will be a positive outcome for them very soon.

"Considering I do not think I am the only Italian to have work relations with India, I know exactly what it is that I am doing, but I also know that I will have a bigger impact on the media. But I accept the responsibility my role entails.

"I am satisfied with my choice. I'm not going to a hostile country and the last thing I want is to be used [for political purposes] and for sport to be used to divide rather than uniting."

The 39-year-old has signed a contract until December with the Delhi Dynamos, after which he may accept another offer which was made to him in recent weeks from Hungarian side Honved.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
Why should del Piero bother about what his government thinks,these military men shot and killed two Indian fishermen,the Indian government should do their best to get justice.Our fishermen in TT always gets shit done to them,difference is,we can't do shit.European countries seem to think they can do as they like these days,let them try it with India.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rapid rise of Indian Super League offers Pakistan a blueprint for change
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »
Rapid rise of Indian Super League offers Pakistan a blueprint for change

The Indian Super League is big news. Previews of this eight-team, 10-week season full of ageing stars are running all over international and the country’s media. Whatever long-term benefits there may or may not be, football fans everywhere are either excited, curious or at least aware of something going on in Indian football. When was the last time something similar could be said about Pakistan? This south Asian giant is in danger of being forgotten.

On Sunday, fans in India were preparing to see Nicolas Anelka of Mumbai City taking on Luis García of Atlético De Kolkata in front of a sell-out crowd expected to be close to 100,000. Monday has Delhi Dynamos and Alessandro Del Piero meeting FC Pune City, part-owned by Fiorentina and featuring David Trezeguet. At around the same time, fans on the other side of the border can watch Pakistan Railway take on National Bank before the country’s best team, Khan Research Laboratories, the following day face Pakistan Airlines in front of crowds that will likely be in three figures. No European teams, star actors or cricketing gods own these clubs but rather, as their names suggest, state-owned institutions. Sexy it isn’t?

Nor is it super. Stadiums are empty, facilities are poor and money is largely absent. The league run by the Pakistan Football Federation (PFF), itself run largely by bureaucrats and civil servants, is struggling. “In terms of infrastructure, playing fields and stadiums, the league does not meet the criteria for modern football,” the Pakistan national team coach from 2011 to 2013, Zavisa Milosavljevic, told The Guardian.

And it’s not only the hardware that is an issue. “Imagine a hospital without doctors. For example, Serbia has seven million people, and over 100 coaches with a pro licence; Pakistan has 200 million people, and none,” Milosavljevic added.

Fired by the PFF, it is not surprising the Serbian points the finger at high-ranking officials in the organisation who, he says, are more interested in protecting power and putting responsibility on to the shoulders of coaches.

Such criticism is not unusual. “Sports marketing and the corporate elite go well together in India and [are] supported by the Bollywood stars,” says Mohammed Shahnawaz of FootballPakistan.com. “They have cashed in on this compared with Pakistan where sport remains stuck in a time warp where governmental bodies wield most of the control and politicians, military men and bureaucrats govern various sports.”

Shahnawaz believes the potential, if the right structures are in place, is huge, especially as concerns over the security situation are overblown. “Pakistan must move away from government departments and towards either a club-based set-up or franchise model. A lot of work has gone into development of various goal projects funded by Fifa but that needs to be backed up with investment into grassroots football, youth development and a strong national team.”

There is talent. In August, Pakistan played a two-game mini-series with their old rivals in Bengaluru. The Green Shirts were the better team in the first game despite a 1-0 loss and then bounced back to win the second in some comfort thanks to a late goal from Saddam Hussein. It was a controlled performance.

The next month, the Bahraini coach Mohammad Al Shamlan took the Under-23 side to South Korea for the Asian Games for an all-too-rare opportunity for competitive action against teams other than near neighbours. In Incheon, Pakistan performed pretty well. Losing 2-0 to the eventual runners-up North Korea was no disgrace especially as the first goal, just before half-time, was a penalty that resulted in Mansoor Khan’s dismissal. And then came a narrow 1-0 loss to a China side that included players from the Asian club champions Guangzhou Evergrande, coached by the former, albeit caretaker, national boss, Fu Bo.

Sometimes though, the country does not help itself. India may have the ISL but at the moment, it is Afghanistan (which has a slick new tournament of its own to enthuse over, the television reality show-inspired Premier League) with the strongest national team in South Asia. Some of the improvement in the Lions of Khorasan is down to embracing the country’s wide-ranging Afghan diaspora, including players in action in Europe or North America. Pakistan has similar resources but has not always managed a smooth integration into the national team. The former captain Mohammed Essa has criticised the overseas contingent for a lack of passion. The targets of such jibes, such as Zesh Rehman, the British-born Pakistan international and former Fulham and Bradford defender, believe they are sometimes used as scapegoats to hide the failings of the homegrown players.

A more mature attitude is needed and in the meantime, perhaps the best solution is to try and send locals overseas. Earlier this year, the international striker Kaleem Ullah left Khan Research for Kyrgyzstan. It may not sound like much of a step up, but it is. His new team, Dordoi Bishkek have collected eight of the past 10 titles and have won the AFC President’s Cup, the continent’s third-tier cup competition, on two occasions. “While I’m here I get the chance to play against experienced teams which helps me in terms of skill and technique, as does working with professional coaches,” Kaleem says. “By improving my technique I not only develop my level of football but can boost the national team.”

Kaleem is also excited about the ISL. “It is a possible first step in the process of revival of football in India, it will be a great boost as mature international players will pass their skills and experience to domestic talent and that’s something a youth footballer in India has rarely experienced.”

A Pakistani franchise in the competition may not be imminent, given the state of relations between the two powers, but football does have a habit of succeeding where politicians fail and Shahnawaz believes that one day an MLS-style set-up, one that involves and engages neighbours, is a possibility. “If such expansion is considered, it would work well because the popularity of the sport is growing in Pakistan. It would require courage from ISL organisers and somebody with deep pockets in Pakistan to make it a reality.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/12/indian-super-league-pakistan-football

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »

Sando, what are you suggesting...that Jabloteh pay Yorkie US$50k per month for 3 months? How would that help anything?
Talking to proper footballers in India, although this league brings high profile coverage and big crowds, they would prefer the money spent in building their national league so they can compete internationally. 

was just going to ask this also FS... pfl needs to invest in the youth of trinidad and groom players to become world beaters.. not invest in retired players... ::)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »
Malouda to play under Roberto Carlos for Delhi.

1]; } ?>