March 29, 2024, 07:27:48 AM

Author Topic: NJAC’s Top 40 Calypsoes of 2013  (Read 838 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NJAC’s Top 40 Calypsoes of 2013
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
Top 40 calypso snub for Differentology
Published:
Friday, November 1, 2013

http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2013-10-31/top-40-calypso-snub-differentology

Bunji Garlin’s Differentology was one of the monster hits of Carnival 2013, yet it was not included on the NJAC’s Top 40 Calypsoes list.

At a glance, the calypsoes chosen for the National Joint Action Committee’s (NJAC) top 40 of 2013 appears to be a good mix of social commentary and party music. However, many calypso and soca fans will be alarmed to see that Bunji Garlin’s smash hit Differentology is not on the list.

Differentology, one of the anthems for Carnival 2013, was hailed by soca fans and industry pundits as one of the most refreshingly different tunes for several years. The collaboration between Bunji Garlin and Nigel Rojas of the rock band Orange Sky has been nominated for a Soul Train Award and a remix of the tune by DJ collective Major Lazer was one of the go-to tunes for DJs playing at dance music festivals around the world. It’s extremely surprising that it didn’t make the top 40, considering that most people probably can’t even hum the chorus of some of those that are on the list.

One of songwriter Christophe Grant’s strongest compositions for the year is among the calypsoes chosen. The song – Politics Does Spoil de Lime - won Stephen Marcelle this year’s Young Kings Monarch title.

My favourite political commentary for the year though, Kurt Allen’s Political Symphony, is also among the top 40 calypsoes chosen by the National Action Cultural Committee (NACC), cultural arm of the NJAC, producers of the Young Kings Calypso Monarch and the Veterans Calypso competitions.

Also selected is Travel Woes, the song which won Pink Panther (Eric Taylor) this year’s National Calypso Monarch title, as well as Fantastic Friday (SuperBlue); Float (Machel Montano); Bubble (Iwer George); and, Live Life Like You Playing Mas (Kees Dieffenthaler and David Rudder).

From the 40 calypsoes selected a panel of judges will select the Top 20 Calypsoes of 2013 which will be awarded at the 26th Annual Top 20 Calypso Stars of Gold and Calypso of the Year Awards on January 11 at the Ballroom, Cascadia Hotel, St Anns.

The Top 20 Awards are awards of distinction and represent the pinnacle of achievement for excellence in calypso composition and our system of adjudication seeks to tap our collective wisdom in order to establish national consensus about the essence of truly great calypsoes.

You can read the other sections of the Pulse article in the Guardian at the link above

TOP 40 SELECTIONS OF 2013:
The list in alphabetical order of the selections is as follows:

Able Disable    Hamidullah (Hamidullah Wahid)
Ah Buying    Ninja (Kenson Neptune)
Apple From the Snake    Diamond (Patrick Lewis)
Asylum Without a Gate    Henson Wright (Prince)
Bear With Me    Chucky (Roderick Gordon)
Bubble    Iwer George
Call Meh Name    Destra Garcia
Come Back to What    Marvellous Marva (Marva Joseph)
Ent Yuh Know    Rikki Jai (Samraj Jaimungal)
Failure Is Not an Option    Singing Sandra (Sandra desVignes-Millington)
Fantastic Friday    Super Blue (Austin Lyons)
Float    Machel Montano
For ah Crown    Dillon Thomas
I Ain’t Marrying No More    Raymond Ramnarine
I Pay Honour    Cindy Alleyne (Ife Alleyne)
Implementation a Must    Joy C (Bridgette Creese)
In the Age of Blog    Kizzie Ruiz
Key to Success    Nature (Michael John)
Live Life Like You Playing Mas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Kes Dieffenthaler (Kes) and David Rudder
Look How Trinbago Come    All Rounder (Anthony Hendrickson)
Meh Partnership    Karene Asche
More Questions    Bro Valentino (Anthony Emrold Phillip)
More Than Oil Drum    Joanne Foster
My Response    Sugar Aloes (Michael Osouna)
No Guns, No Weapons    King Luta (Morel Peters)
No Moral Authority    Alana Sinnette
None of The Above    Eunice Peters
One More Recruit    Ezekiel Yorke
Political Symphony    Kurt Allen
Politics Does Spoil de Lime    Stephen Marcelle
Prodigal Son     Chalkdust (Dr Hollis Liverpool)
Say a Prayer    Shirlane Hendrickson
Sparrow’s Advice    Duane O’Connor
Tainted Legacy    Helon Francis
Target 365    Malaika Ballantyne
Tears For the Children    Khadja Antoine
The Old Man’s Lament    Heather Mac Intosh
Travel Woes    Pink Panther (Eric Taylor)
When You Take a Life    Sergio Francisco
With You I Belong    Roslyn Reid
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>