March 29, 2024, 12:22:24 AM

Author Topic: Biohacker implants smartphone-sized sensor into his arm  (Read 908 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Biohacker implants smartphone-sized sensor into his arm
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
Biohacker implants smartphone-sized sensor into his arm
mashable.com

No, the above image is not a still from the latest Saw movie. It’s a photo of biohacker Tim Cannon, the so-called “DIY Cyborg” who implanted a Circadia 1.0 computer chip the size of a smartphone under the skin of his forearm.

The wirelessly charged sensor, developed over the course of 18 months by Cannon and his fellow hackers/artists at Grindhouse Wetware, monitors his vital signs, then transmits that real-time data via Bluetooth to his Android device.

Cannon told Vice’s Motherboard that Circadia 1.0 could “send me a text message if it thinks that I’m getting a fever.” The device could then help determine what factors are causing the fever. Future versions of the sensor are expected to monitor the pulse and — thankfully — come in a smaller, less ghastly package.

As if the bulging device, bruised skin and crude stitches weren’t an obvious giveaway, the procedure was not medically approved, so Cannon recruited some body modification pioneers to perform the surgery. Not only that, he did it “raw dog,” without anesthesia.

“I think that our environment should listen more accurately and more intuitively to what’s happening in our body,” Cannon said. “So if, for example, I’ve had a stressful day, the Circadia will communicate that to my house and will prepare a nice relaxing atmosphere for when I get home: dim the lights, let in a hot bath.”

Cannon expects the first production series of the chip to be ready in a few months and said it will cost around $500. But since the implant procedure will certainly still be medically unapproved, interested hackers will have to seek out the body modification community to have it done. Steve Haworth, the body modification expert who conducted Cannon’s surgery, said he would charge around $200 for the procedure.

Check out Motherboard’s video here, along with this update. If you happen to be eating while watching these clips, we perhaps recommend that you finish before pushing play.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Biohacker implants smartphone-sized sensor into his arm
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
Interesting...

Cats and Dogs already have microchips in them (in case they get lost they could be located)

It definitely has some pros
-determining disease or sickness before it's too late
-in the case with the pets' microchips: finding lost/kidnapped children

Cons:
-no privacy/freedom
-can it be deactivated or hacked into?
whey boy!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
Interesting...

Cats and Dogs already have microchips in them (in case they get lost they could be located)

It definitely has some pros
-determining disease or sickness before it's too late
-in the case with the pets' microchips: finding lost/kidnapped children

Cons:
-no privacy/freedom
-can it be deactivated or hacked into?
-is ugly as sin when done like that

I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
This not in the bible?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>