April 26, 2024, 04:18:10 PM

Author Topic: Birchall, Edwards in T&T squad for Nov 19th friendly with Jamaica.  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Birchall, Edwards in T&T squad for Nov 19th friendly with Jamaica.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Head coach Stephen Hart has named English-based duo Carlos Edwards and Christopher Birchall in his  National Team for the November 19th friendly international against Jamaica.

The two players have been invited by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association for the opportunity to play before their home fans, giving the T&T faithful the chance to say thank you to two stalwarts for their services to the National football.

This was announced at a press conference hosted by the TTFA at the All Out Restaurant, Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain on Friday afternoon.

Hart has also called up former Under 23 player Trevin Caesar for the November 19th match. He will join Birchall and Edwards as the the three additions to the squad for the return match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Kenwyne Jones will skipper an 18-man squad which departs for Montego Bay on Tuesday for the first friendly on Friday November 15th.

Hart explained that Racing Genk midfielder Khaleem Hyland was excused due to a request from the club because of their hectic slate of matches in Europe. Former Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino and Willis Plaza were not considered due to the inactive status at the club level. Bateau meantime, will return to his club in Belgium following the first match in Montego Bay.

“Generally it’s two good matches for us to have the opportunity to get valuable match practice and for me to have the opportunity to work with our players again. I'd like to thank the Association for getting these two games because it means we are making use of the international dates” Hart said.

“It presents us with a bit of a unique opportunity to play away from home and then travel to play at home inside a week which is something we will have to prepare for in the World Cup qualifiers for 2018. And I will also look forward to seeing how a few of the players react to  this at the international level. Seeing the response of the players (who have not played regularly for us) to the training and their attitude is also important for me,” Hart added.

The two upcoming friendlies will take T&T's tally of international warm ups for the year to ten, plus four games in official competition at the CONCACAF Gold Cup

The "Caribbean Classico"  at the Hasely Crawford Stadium will kick off at 8pm. Details on ticket sales will be revealed on Friday.

Trinidad and Tobago Squad for 
International Friendlies versus Jamaica

Goalkeepers

Jan-Michael Williams (Central FC), Marvin Phillip (Point Fortin Civic FC).

Defenders

Justin Hoyte (Millwall FC), Daneil Cyrus (W Connection), Radanfah Abu Bakr (FC Vostok), Carlyle Mitchell (Vancouver Whitecaps), Aubrey David (Caledonia AIA), Sheldon Bateau (KV Mechelen), Joevin Jones (W Connection
), Curtis Gonzales (Defence Force).

Midfielders

Andre Boucaud (Notts County
), Kevan George (Columbus Crew), Keon Daniel (Philadelphia Union), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Lester Peltier (Slovan Bratislava), Ataullah Guerra (Rovaniemen Palloseura), Carlos Edwards (Ipswich Town - November 19th match only)
, Christopher Birchall (Port Vale - November 19th match only).

Forwards

Rundell Winchester (Central FC), Kenwyne Jones (Stoke City - captain), Trevin Caesar (North East Stars - November 19th match only).

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:03:33 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall, Edwards in T&T squad for Nov 19th friendly with Jamaica.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3H6afnggByI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3H6afnggByI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
Nice squad would ah like to see Shannon Winchester but still good team
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Nice squad would ah like to see Shannon Winchester but still good team

He was injured recently and had to miss the last game or two in the Finnish Premier League. Not sure if he has recovered yet.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
eh?..ah tort birchall fire de wukk
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
Birchall, Edwards in T&T squad for Nov 19th friendly with Jamaica.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Hart explained that Racing Genk midfielder Khaleem Hyland was excused due to a request from the club because of their hectic slate of matches in Europe. Former Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino and Willis Plaza were not considered due to the inactive status at the club level. Bateau meantime, will return to his club in Belgium following the first match in Montego Bay.

He's been released by Orlando?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Former Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino

He's been released by Orlando?

Remember he looking to leave since last year. I think his last contract was only for one season. Orlando has been trying to re-sign him for 2014.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
The back line looks solid... :beermug:

haven't seen enough of rundell and ceasar to comment... but i am sure they will bring something to the foray.. interesting mid, lets see what happens with guerra, peltier, boucaud and daniel.. that is a very attacking mid mind you

the back i am assuming will be hoyte, mitchell, bateau/abu bakr and cyrus
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:36:23 PM by Controversial »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
In essence a combination international friendly and testimonial match for 'Los and Birchy.  A way for the local football loving public to show their appreciation for the outstanding contributions of both (more so Carlos Edwards with no offence to Birchall) to T&T football.

Nice touch IMO

Ah wonder if is a testimonial fuh Bleeder too  :devil:

kiffy doh kill meh  ;)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
Nice effort. Gotta be grateful for these 2 games. Hard luck Kerry Baptiste. Keep bussing de net. Your time to represent on the international stage will come soon even if you will be too old for 2018. We still need your contributions
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
Good call up they.

Big up to de TTFA for these 2 games.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Birchall thrilled over invitation for Jamaica friendly.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
Birchall thrilled over invitation for Jamaica friendly.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Christopher Birchall appears to be thrilled at the opportunity being presented to him to rejoin the National Team for the upcoming friendly international against Jamaica.

The Port Vale midfielder has been recalled by head coach Stephen Hart for the match as a way of having the T&T faithful to show their appreciation for him and Ipswich Town’s Carlos Edwards when T&T meets Jamaica in an international friendly on Tuesday November 19th at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 8pm.

Birchall has already announced his retirement from international game while the 35-year-old  Edwards is yet to officially throw the towel despite hinting at the possibility.

“I’m obviously delighted to be invited back for the Jamaica game. I’m honoured that the coach Stephen Hart and the association have put thought into my career and I’m glad that he (Hart) feels it would fitting for me to say goodbye to the general public and everyone associated with Trinidad and Tobago football since I started eight years ago,” Birchall told TTFA Media on Sunday.

“I could not be happier to be coming back to say goodbye and have this farewell game in front of the T&T fans. They have been absolutely tremendous with me throughout my international career and have supported me from day one through the great times and the dark times and I'm excited to play one last game for them and especially the derby in which I've always wanted to play in against Jamaica,” added the former Coventry City player.

Birchall made his international debut in a 4-0 win over Bermuda on May 25, 2005 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and his wonderful strike against Bahrain in the first leg of the 2006 World Cup playoff will go down as one of the most important goals ever scored at the venue for Trinidad and Tobago.

“The Hasely Crawford stadium has always been a good venue for me with lots of fond memories. From making my competitive debut against Panama to the two-goal comeback against Guatemala to the victory against Mexico and then the goal against Bahrain in that incredible atmosphere.

I always get told no one has ever seen the crowd all raise up together at any one moment until they saw my goal go in. It still gives me goosebumps now watching it back. I have had some unbelievable times in the T&T number 7 Jersey and have always been one hundred percent  proud and committed to giving my all and cannot wait to do it one last time,” Birchall added.

The 29-year-old has scored four goals in 43 matches for T&T. He made his debut at age 21. Birchall stated his career at Port Vale, before moving to Coventry after the 2006 World Cup and also having stints at St Mirren, Carlisle United and Brighton.

In 2009 he joined MLS club LA Galaxy where he played alongside former England captain David Beckham. During that period they were crowned Major League Soccer Western Conference champions in 2009 and 2011, and also captured a Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup double in 2011. He joined Columbus Crew for a six-month spell in May 2012.

Birchall was approached by T&T in 2005 after it was discovered that he had T&T roots. The story says that  Dennis Lawrence, after being prompted by agent Mike Berry, spoke to the player initially and he later replied that “Me mum” was infact born in T&T.

During the 2006 campaign, the then team captain Dwight Yorke spoke about Birchall’s influence, saying “"At the time he joined the team he was the odd guy out but we all welcome him with open arms and he's been very much a key player to our team. He's come in and done a fantastic job and has become an influential player.

Two of Birchall’s 2006 World Cup teammates Kenwyne Jones, now the captain and midfielder Densill Theobald are the other current day players in the squad to face the “Reggae Boyz”. The T&T squad will depart on Tuesday morning for Montego Bay where they will face the 1998 World Cup finalists in the first friendly on Friday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall thrilled over invitation for Jamaica friendly.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
One more time for Brownsugar to take a bull by the horns hahahahahahahahha

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
 :applause:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
birchall start and score in today fa cup match vs. shortwood utd (no joke on the name).

it on fox soccer plus for whoever have that.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
yea...watched the game...saw the goal...
Birchall....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
Birch and Los. You mad us real proud. Looking forward to seeing these 2 great stalwarts perform
Birch, I will never forget that rocket that you shot that helped us overcome Bahrain
Carlos, thanks for those twists and turns in every area of the field and your famous goals
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
We give them men a testimonial match and call Edwards back and it eh make one game yet and we call him back.

Man saying he playing in front of Justin at Millwall.

Club football and international football is two different thing.

Watch the gold cup games again and tell me who hold up and who didn't.

As I said, I love Edwards and what he has done for T&T, but time to bleed a few youths.

Its a friendly game we playing against Argentina.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
When was he given a Testimonial? And he didnt retire so he's eligible for a pick. He got picked so arguing the fact isnt gonna change that

1]; } ?>