May 01, 2024, 09:04:16 AM

Author Topic: Today is Remembrance day in Canada eleventh day /eleventh month  (Read 1082 times)

socafighter

Today is Remembrance day in Canada eleventh day /eleventh month , we honor those who went to war , so we can enjoy freedom.

I shall place a single red rose for a brother who was lost flying a sortie over Vietnam.I wear his medal awarded by the Air Force today. I will stand proud at the Cenotaph in Ottawa today maybe a tear or two.
Its unfortunate that in such instances closure can never be complete . Some where in Vietnam today
lies the bones of a Trini
, who ate the cascadura and as the native legend says cannot come back to rest his bones on those two rocks in the Caribbean Sea.Where ever you rest RIP...tears   :(

There a many others like him who made the ultimate sacrifice , he enjoyed flying .

“Oh I Have Slipped
The Surly Bonds of Earth...
Put Out My Hand
And Touched the Face of God ”

A sonnet written by John Gillespie Magee, a pilot with the Royal Canadian Air Force in the Second World War. He came to Britain, flew in a Spitfire squadron, and was killed at the age of nineteen on 11 December 1941 during a training flight from the airfield near Scopwick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_mBJgsaxlY
Green Fields of France by John McDermott

socafighter

Re: Today is Remembrance day in Canada eleventh day /eleventh month
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »

IN FLANDERS FIELDS POEM
The World’s Most Famous WAR MEMORIAL POEM
By Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae  In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Composed at the battlefront on May 3, 1915
during the second battle of Ypres, Belgium

Canadian physician, soldier, teacher and poet John McCrae was born in Guelph Ontario on November 30, 1872, the second son of Scottish immigrants Lieutenant Colonel David McCrae and Janet Simpson Eckford McCrae.

John McCrae succumbed January 28th, 1918 at Number 14 British General Hospital for Officers in Boulogne, France. His funeral procession was led by his horse Bonfire and in the tradition of mounted officers; McCrae’s boots were placed backwards in the stirrups.

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae MD was buried with full military honors in the cemetery in Wimereux, France (plot 4, row H, grave 3). John McCrae’s funeral was one of the best attended funerals of the entire war. In attendance were his many friends, military dignitaries, nursing sisters and colleagues.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Lest we forget. Thanks for the posts socafighter.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”

― Laurence Binyon

socafighter, thanks for the thread.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

socafighter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »

I stopped feeling sorry myself ...

It was in the 1970's Pierre Elliot Trudeau was our Prime minister it was the 11th November approx
11 am at the cenotaph downtown Ottawa across for Parliament Buildings . On a cold bitter Ottawa day with winds blowing off the Ottawa river , Trudeau decided to walk from his Office to the cenotaph accompanied by RCMP Officers all in Scarlet red Uniforms. The motto of the RCMP is  "we always get our man" a smile was on my face as I wondered if such a motto is allowed today .

I saw a limo pull up and a frail old woman came out being helped by a burly RCMP Officer , she stood
in line at the VIP section. The Prime Minister called her up to lay the wreath for all the veterans who never
made it back home. She had the honor today , she had lost her 7 sons to the war , all her children

I started to think how would I react to such a sacrifice , I hope that God would allow her to spend
time with them somewhere, since she didn't on Earth.

To all that never made it back thanks and RIP.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »
Dulce et decorum est pro patria Morir

1]; } ?>