April 26, 2024, 04:07:20 PM

Author Topic: MLS partners with CFU to host first-ever Caribbean Player Combine  (Read 22312 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Major League Soccer partners with CFU to host first-ever Caribbean Player Combine
cfufootball.org

Major League Soccer (MLS) today announced it will host its first-ever Caribbean player combine, January 2-5, 2014, in St. John’s, Antigua.  The event, in partnership with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), will feature elite-level players invited from around the Caribbean, ages 18-21, who will compete in front of League scouts for an opportunity to earn an invitation to the annual adidas MLS Player Combine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida later that month.

“We recognize that the CONCACAF area, and particularly the Caribbean, is rich with soccer talent, and this will be an opportunity for our scouts to evaluate and identify the region’s top players,” said MLS Executive Vice President Todd Durbin. “Caribbean players from islands like Jamaica, Haiti, Grenada and others have been key performers in MLS. This event will help recognize the next generation of MLS stars as we look to achieve our goal of being among the best leagues in the world by 2022.”

The four-day event will take place at the Antigua Recreation Grounds, and will include training session and games against local clubs.

“As CFU Member Associations turn their attention to Russia 2018, this is an exciting developmental opportunity for the opulent young talent in the Caribbean to assess their developmental level and the growth required to play at the highest level,” said CFU President Gordon Derrick.  “This partnership with MLS is another way in which we at the CFU are seeking to bridge the gap that exists between talent availability and scouting opportunities that the Caribbean region has received from professional leagues.”

The annual Adidas MLS Player Combine gives professional soccer scouts the opportunity to see top players in action prior to the annual MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas. Participants have moved on to successful professional careers as well as participation in their national teams.

The Caribbean Player Combine is focusing on 18-21 year olds as part of the developmental objective that both MLS and the CFU share.  In this respect, the most important factor is the quality of the experience for these young talented players as they seek to enter into the professional realm.  The January 2014 event will create the enabling environment for them to do so.

Media interested in attending the Caribbean Player Combine should contact the CFU at media@cfufootball.org.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS partners with CFU to host first-ever Caribbean Player Combine
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
cool

how do tnt players attend ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »
cool

how do tnt players attend ??

I'm not sure many will. Clubs won't want their players going in the middle of the season.
Why would Central want Winchester & Quintero missing? If US clubs want them, they can buy them!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
Money passing under the table, FS, for the CFU. They have to survive.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
It would be selfish, short-sighted and silly for clubs to not want to send their players to the combine.  US clubs would be better-positioned to make an offer after the combine than without having a chance to see them in person in a controlled setting against other elite players.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
It would be selfish, short-sighted and silly for clubs to not want to send their players to the combine.  US clubs would be better-positioned to make an offer after the combine than without having a chance to see them in person in a controlled setting against other elite players.

Really? You know, I forgot that clubs are charities. How about the MLS having a little respect for our piss poor league and holding this combine at the end of May?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
Really? You know, I forgot that clubs are charities. How about the MLS having a little respect for our piss poor league and holding this combine at the end of May?

Yeah the MLS should hold a combine in the middle of their season... that makes sense.  I bet if this was the Premier League holding this combine yuh wouldn't hear shit from the local clubs, just thoughts of sugarplums and dollar $igns dancing in their heads  ::)  The "charities" talk is nonsense because any player who's the property of a local club, that club will be compensated... whether the player signs in January or whether he signs in May.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »

Yeah the MLS should hold a combine in the middle of their season... that makes sense.  I bet if this was the Premier League holding this combine yuh wouldn't hear shit from the local clubs, just thoughts of sugarplums and dollar $igns dancing in their heads  ::)  The "charities" talk is nonsense because any player who's the property of a local club, that club will be compensated... whether the player signs in January or whether he signs in May.

Most Pro league players contacts finish in May. Therefore a club would receive no transfer fee in May.

Clubs would, indeed, love to earn transfer fees, but this is not the way to do it. If a club likes your player, then make an offer. You don't see EPL clubs sending their best talent away on trial for 4 weeks in a crucial stage of the season on the off chance that a club might buy the player at a price you find acceptable. Nor would MLS clubs.
The Pro League may be a minor league in the global football world, but it's still a business.
If we sent Winchester and Quintero, we'd have to pay their wages but we'd have no strikers. We couldn't sign two strikers because we have no spare cash to pay them. Even if Winny and Quinny took no wages while on trial, we still can't sign two players because if no sale is made,
we'd have two strikers too many.

This is not Championship Manager. This combine is useful for countries with no professional leagues and I'm sure there will be some talent discovered. Maybe some ProLeague clubs may send players, but that's their gamble.

Now, if a club contacted us and specifically requested a player for a one week trial, that would be a different consideration.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
Most Pro league players contacts finish in May. Therefore a club would receive no transfer fee in May.

Clubs would, indeed, love to earn transfer fees, but this is not the way to do it. If a club likes your player, then make an offer. You don't see EPL clubs sending their best talent away on trial for 4 weeks in a crucial stage of the season on the off chance that a club might buy the player at a price you find acceptable. Nor would MLS clubs.
The Pro League may be a minor league in the global football world, but it's still a business.
If we sent Winchester and Quintero, we'd have to pay their wages but we'd have no strikers. We couldn't sign two strikers because we have no spare cash to pay them. Even if Winny and Quinny took no wages while on trial, we still can't sign two players because if no sale is made,

This is not Championship Manager. This combine is useful for countries with no professional leagues and I'm sure there will be some talent discovered. Maybe some ProLeague clubs may send players, but that's their gamble.

Now, if a club contacted us and specifically requested a player for a one week trial, that would be a different consideration.

I think you meant 4 days... they'd miss one, maybe two days tops.  That's the MLS off-season... and your concern is only the Pro League season, what about the other Caribbean leagues?  I'm sure they didn't just randomly settle on that date.  I'm sure there was significant input from the CFU as well.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
The timing of the MLS draft is what dictates the dates of the combine - also there is a salary cap in the MLS so that it's not simply a case of liking a player and making an offer. Going into the draft each team has to have a sense of what's available to sign players. Could be wrong, but I think that's what behind the dates selected for the combine...of course there are DPs that do not affect the cap, but usually u are not expecting to find one of those in a Carribbean combine..

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:55:12 AM »
Sigh, what would be better is if the Caribbean could sustain a domestic and competitive level of football, providing local employment and developing their capacity to bring through the players, rather than the US leeching the best players

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 05:23:50 AM »
I would like to know how T&T plan to pick they players they sending, or uncle go give them a chance and leave de good ones in T&T, ent Uncle Creed.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »

I think you meant 4 days... they'd miss one, maybe two days tops.  That's the MLS off-season... and your concern is only the Pro League season, what about the other Caribbean leagues?  I'm sure they didn't just randomly settle on that date.  I'm sure there was significant input from the CFU as well.

There was no consultation with the Pro League as far as I'm aware. It certainly was not discussed at board level. As for CFU, TTFA have not informed clubs of this, so they have no mandate to represent Pro League concerns.
This appears to me to be a scheme dreamed up by some multi millionaire Antiguan hotel owner. Why hold this event in Antigua where there is no professional league and where very, very few successful candidates will come from? Why not Haiti, Jamaica or T&T? Or is it Mr Webb learning from the master, Jack Warner, and influencing events to benefit his home nation?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
Sounds more feasible to me, could always be a well-intentioned but ill-thought out plan...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 06:51:55 AM »
Sounds more feasible to me, could always be a well-intentioned but ill-thought out plan...

But seriously, well intentioned, maybe, but well thought out?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:42 AM »
That's my point - very poorly thought out. You know what they say about the paving infrastructure towards hell...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
There was no consultation with the Pro League as far as I'm aware. It certainly was not discussed at board level. As for CFU, TTFA have not informed clubs of this, so they have no mandate to represent Pro League concerns.
This appears to me to be a scheme dreamed up by some multi millionaire Antiguan hotel owner. Why hold this event in Antigua where there is no professional league and where very, very few successful candidates will come from? Why not Haiti, Jamaica or T&T? Or is it Mr Webb learning from the master, Jack Warner, and influencing events to benefit his home nation?

They don't have to consult the Pro League.. the PFL is a non-entity outside of Trinidad, sad but true.  TTFA is not involved as far as we know, this is the CFU, perhaps with the TTFA's knowledge, who is arranging this.  Some multi-millionaire Antiguan hotel owner possibly might be behind this, but that seems unlikely, the patronage he'd get from this pales relative to that from tourism in general.  We don't know what infrastructure is currently in place to host in Haiti.  Jamaica and Trinidad, particularly Trinidad, have hosted enough in the past (as far as the CFU members are concerned).  Besides... "why not Haiti, Jamaica or T&T?"  Well, why not Antigua & Barbuda??  Webb is from the Cayman Islands, not Antigua... so much for that one.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »

They don't have to consult the Pro League.. the PFL is a non-entity outside of Trinidad, sad but true.  TTFA is not involved as far as we know, this is the CFU, perhaps with the TTFA's knowledge, who is arranging this.  Some multi-millionaire Antiguan hotel owner possibly might be behind this, but that seems unlikely, the patronage he'd get from this pales relative to that from tourism in general.  We don't know what infrastructure is currently in place to host in Haiti.  Jamaica and Trinidad, particularly Trinidad, have hosted enough in the past (as far as the CFU members are concerned).  Besides... "why not Haiti, Jamaica or T&T?"  Well, why not Antigua & Barbuda??  Webb is from the Cayman Islands, not Antigua... so much for that one.

Doh! I hate it when that happens!!

You're correct in that nobody has to consult with Pro League or TTFA, but it would be the professional and respectful approach. The CFU should certainly be working alongside its member associations. If they communicated this to TTFA, then they had a duty to inform the various clubs and associations.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
May be i'm wrong in my understanding of this new league,please correct me.This league suppose to start in Sept 2015,i don't think anything is concrete yet,ideas are being put forward at the moment and possible being discussed.

This thing has to be well thought out before a final decision is made,i can't understand why people jumping to conclusions when nothing has been finalized.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
May be i'm wrong in my understanding of this new league,please correct me.This league suppose to start in Sept 2015,i don't think anything is concrete yet,ideas are being put forward at the moment and possible being discussed.

This thing has to be well thought out before a final decision is made,i can't understand why people jumping to conclusions when nothing has been finalized.

This is not the Caribbean league. This is a series of trials for players hoping to be signed by MLS clubs.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »

This is not the Caribbean league. This is a series of trials for players hoping to be signed by MLS clubs.
       Alright i got it. :thumbsup:

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
If two strikers go on trial play the next 2 men on the bench , u must have back up men what if a man get hurt?
A professional team should have at least 24 players on the roster

U can't expect me to believe that if 2 men go on trial for a week u have to look to go and sign men

Wher u finding them men?

What happen to the bench

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

:waiting: in the mean time lets have a  :beermug:
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 04:59:21 AM »
A move to go directly to Caribbean source

Up until now, most of the Caribbean players who have starred in MLS have almost without exception come via the U.S. college ranks.  They were already residing in the United States (like Shalrie Joseph and Ezra Hendrickson) or first came for boarding school (Shavar Thomas) or recruited to play college soccer (Stern John and Andy Williams). Now MLS will go directly to the source with the launch of the first Caribbean player combine in January.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
No T&T Players Invited to the MLS Carribean Combine?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
NEW YORK – Major League Soccer announced today the 24 players who have been invited to participate in the 2014 Caribbean Combine from January 2-4, 2014, at the Antigua Recreation Grounds in St. John’s, Antigua.

The three-day event, in partnership with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), will feature players, ranging in age from 18-21, from 16 different Caribbean nations. The full list of players is below.

Players will compete in games and participate in a training session in front of MLS scouts with an eye toward earning an invitation to the annual adidas MLS Player Combine in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., from January 10-14.

Player    Country    Birthdate    Position    Height    Weight
Damian J.S. Bailey    Anguilla    5/5/1991    M/D    6'    185
Quinton T.P. Griffith    Antigua and Barbuda    2/27/1992    M/D    5'9''    175
Stefan Smith    Antigua and Barbuda    8/11/1989    F    5'11''    172
Leroy Oehlers    Aruba    12/12/1992    D    5'6''    160
Drewonde Bascome    Bermuda    11/17/1992    M    5'7''    160
Ramon Sealy    Cayman Islands    4/22/1991    GK    6'2''    185
Quinton C.E. Christina    Curaçao    5/3/1995    F/D         
Malcolm Joseph    Dominica    10/10/1993    D    6'2''    155
Delbert Graham    Dominica    7/2/1993    M    6'    160
Vladimir Pascal    Guadeloupe    5/27/1992    M/F    5'8''    154
Steven Davidas    Guadeloupe    3/17/1992    M    5'3''    121
Jean Ismael Voltaire    Haiti    5/4/1994    D    6'    164
Luckner Junior Horat    Haiti    9/27/1994    D    5'6''    140
Kemar Lawrence    Jamaica    9/17/1992    D/M    5'9''    156
Kendell Allen    Montserrat    6/2/1992    D    6'1''    189
Joseph Y. Marrero Garcia    Puerto Rico    9/4/1993    M    5'5''    140
Samuel J. Soto Alvarez    Puerto Rico    8/11/1992    M/F    5'10''    164
Jose Sandoval    Puerto Rico    1/1/1991    M    5'8''    160
Jamal J. Francis    Saint Kitts and Nevis    3/23/1993    GK    5'9''    170
Kimaree B.A. Rogers    Saint Kitts and Nevis    1/14/1994    F/M    5'10''    159
Eden Charles    Saint Lucia    10/19/1993    M    6'    160
Stefano Rodney Rijssel    Suriname    3/26/1992    F/M    5'6''    171
Miguel Danny Darson    Suriname    5/27/1993    D    5'4''    145
Kavon Troy Ceasar    British Virgin Islands    5/13/1994    D    6'2''    150

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
Stefano Rodney Rijssel    Suriname    3/26/1992    F/M    5'6''    171

W-Connection player.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
There's only one Jamaican - the more pro teams are obviously reluctant to release players for free to be put in the shop window.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
There's only one Jamaican - the more pro teams are obviously reluctant to release players for free to be put in the shop window.

Well, no one made any requests to us! My guess is that the organisers didn't want anybody on contract as the clubs wouldn't want to pay transfer fees. Not sure how Rijssel got there!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
Maybe it as made clear that the MLS would buy players deemed good enough for the draft?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
MLS want to raid de barn and doh pay for de corn. 

1]; } ?>