April 27, 2024, 12:02:01 PM

Author Topic: Guerra strikes again as T&T double up on Reggae Boyz.  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Guerra strikes again as T&T double up on Reggae Boyz.
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:18:49 AM »
Guerra strikes again as T&T double up on Reggae Boyz.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Warriors wins Classico.

Trinidad and Tobago made it two in two over arch-rivals Jamaica when they walked away 2-0 winners in yesterday's Caribbean affair at the Hasley Crawford Stadium.

With nothing much to report on from the first half, it took T&T 49 minutes to break the deadlock. Ataullah Guerra, who scored the winner for T&T in their last 1-0 encounter with the Reggae Boyz just 4-days ago has struck again, this time, four minutes into the second-half to send T&T one up at the restart.

The former San Juan Jabloteh man collected the ball on the left side, skipped a few Jamaican tackles and rifles a low shot into the bottom right corner of goalkeeper McCallum's goal to give T&T the goal advantage.

T&T continued to dominate in the second half and it paid dividends in the 75th minute when Central FC striker Rundell Winchester made a strong run into the box and was fouled by Jamaican defender Alvas Powell which resulted in a penalty. Captain Kenwyne Jones took the honors as the Stoke City striker stepped up to convert from the spot and send T&T further into the lead.

The Reggae Boyz would hold on despite some repeated attacks by T&T as the game eventually ended 2-0 in favor of the home side.

T&T has now won the Caribbean Classico series with 1-0 and 2-0 results respectively and ended their 2013 campaign on a high note.

It was also a farewell match for Port Vale's Christopher Birchall and also paid tribute to Carlos Edwards who has not officially retired but it seems as though head coach Stephen Hart is planning on rebuilding a team with younger troops.

Final Results

T&T 2 v Jamaica 0
Guerra 49'
Jones 73-Pen'

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago 4-5-1: - Jan-Michael Williams (vice-capt); Aubrey David, Carlos Edwards (Curtis Gonzales 87th), Carlyle Mitchell (Radanfah Abu Bakr 74th), Daneil Cyrus (Yellow 44); Christopher Birchall (Kevan George 70th), Ataullah Guerra, Joevin Jones, Andre Boucaud (Yellow 55) (Densill Theobald 83rd), Lester Peltier (Rundell Winchester 25th); Kenwyne Jones (capt) (Trevin Caesar 79th).

Unused Sub: - Cleon John.

COACH: - Stephen Hart.

Jamaica 4-3-3: - Richard McCallum; Adrian Reid, Kemar Lawrence, Alvas Powell, Upston Edwards (Dicoy Williams 46th); Jermaine Woolencroft, Je-Vaughn Watson (capt), Omar Daley; Michael Seaton (Darren Mattocks 46th) (Jermaine Anderson 58th - Yellow 76), Jason Johnson, Deshorn Brown (Andrew Vanzie 84th).

Unused Subs: - Gariece McPherson; Montrose Phinn; Brian Brown.

COACH: - Winfried Schäfer.

Venue: - Hasley Crawford Stadium.

Attendance (APPROX): - 8,000.

Referee: Enrico Rinjgaarde (Suriname).

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:59:14 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guerra strikes again as T&T double up on Reggae Boyz.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:49 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7tqLa_1etI0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7tqLa_1etI0</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors Win 2-0 To Pile On Misery For Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »
Soca Warriors Win 2-0 To Pile On Misery For Jamaica
By Neil-Monticelli Harley-Rudd (The Voice)

WINFRIED SCHAFER'S short-term stint as Jamaica head coach ended with yet another defeat to Trinidad & Tobago, stuttering to a 2-0 reversal at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain last night.

T&T, who defeated the Reggae Boyz 1-0 last Friday with their first win in Jamaica for 49 years, breezed past the visitors with Ataulla Guerra and Kenwyne Jones on target.

But Schafer, despite his abject failure at the helm, is still hoping to be offered a four-year contact by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF). That is in the balance as his contract ends today (November 20), and is dependent on whether the JFF can generate enough sponsorship – and faith – in retaining the former Cameron coach despite the fact that he did not register a single win in six games.

Although Schafer again fielded an experimental side, with the focus on unearthing new talent, there is no glossing over the fact that the German has failed miserably in his mission with the Boyz since he took over four months ago.

The Boyz finished rock bottom of their final World Cup qualifying group with a whimper, and the highly anticipated Caribbean 'Classico' against T&T resulted in two defeats and the inability to score goals.

T&T English-based veterans Port Vale's Chris Birchall, who retired after the match, and Ipswich Town's Carlos Edwards were given the nod to start after the pair missed Friday's friendly to join a number of untested players in the line-up.

Finland-based Guerra, whose strike earned the Soca Warriors their triumph in Kingston, was the player who once again impressed against the Boyz. The 26-year-old was back on the scoring sheet and broke the deadlock on 49 minutes. And lively skipper Jones sealed success with his 73rd-minute spot-kick.

Guerra said:
 “It was a pleasure to score for my country. We played to the coach’s instructions and to our strengths, and we had to show our commitment to maintain a winning performance.”

In the opening half, the Boyz back four of Upston Edwards, Kemar Lawrence, teenager Alvas Powell and Adrian Reid were kept busy to stifle the Warriors. But Edwards was replaced at half-time due to injury and the visitors had their work cut out after the break.

But the hosts should have taken a two-goal cushion into the interval, Jones scuffing a gilt-edged opportunity by prodding his effort over the target from just six yards. However, the Boyz could have been given a penalty when Omar Daley was bundled to the ground but the referee waved on play.

With the vocal crowd willing on the Warriors and yelling for an overdue goal at the start of the second half, it was Guerra who obliged with a sparkling strike. He dribbled the ball from the left wing into the penalty area and then unleashed an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner.

With the Warriors eager to add to their tally, it was surprising that it took a penalty to double their lead. Rundell Winchester and Jones played a neat one-two on the left flank, with Winchester darting into the box only for Powell's late challenge to earn the hosts an undisputed spot-kick that Jones converted with aplomb.

T&T head coach Stephen Hart said: “It gave me an opportunity to continue to experiment with the team and with the players, which is the only way you can evaluate the players.

“It was a very competitive game and this is what I’ve been asking of the players. This has been a unique opportunity to play both home and away, which mirrors what would be necessary if we were trying to qualify for the World Cup – we have to keep building.”

Schafer played down the defeat and said: “For me it is not very important about the result, the result is secondary – the importance is the development of the players.

“I'm happy about our team, which is made up of only local players and players born in Jamaica from the United States. Players need matches for experience. These youngsters did what was asked, but we just did not score tonight.”

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
This is probably the happiest week of Big Mag's life

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
east dry river produce another diamond in the rough... :beermug: so said, so done...

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »
east dry river produce another diamond in the rough... :beermug: so said, so done...

Funny, I thought Winchester is from 'Bago......
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline fredej

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »
i remember reading from someone here on this forum talkn about how good Atulla was but never saw him play till last night he is a good player and he well built to  :applause: had a good game last night and i also liked how winchester showed allot of confidence in running at the Jamaican defense.

Trinidad played well and it was good to see good defensive shape a the back which was lacking from our football recently . hope to see the national team playing against some tougher opponents next year to rely test ourselves

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »

Funny, I thought Winchester is from 'Bago......
Ah love it  ;D, Rundell was brilliant last night and he'll only improve

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »
This is probably the happiest week of Big Mag's life
He is probably still having a drink to celebrate as we speak!  :chilling:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
Guerra tactics: Warriors spank Boyz for a fine end to 2013
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago national football team made a case for the resumption of corporal punishment last night as two second half strokes from Ataullah Guerra and Kenwyne Jones tamed the rambunctious Jamaican “Reggae Boyz” as the “Soca Warriors” cruised to a comfortable 2-0 friendly international win at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.

It had been 12 years since Trinidad and Tobago last defeated Jamaica, 14 years since there were two Warrior victories over the Boyz in the same calendar year and 61 years since a triumph was recorded on Jamaican soil.

National coach Stephen Hart recorded all three feats, over the past five days, with what appeared to be the minimum of fuss.

For once, the Warriors’ San Fernando-born, Canada-based coach dared to blow his team’s trumpet.

“I wanted the players to put two solid halves together and they did that,” said Hart, after the match. “Once again, another clean sheet; we pushed the ball forward a little bit quicker; we had penetration on both sides… It is very difficult to ask more of the players.”

But he could not resist another note of caution.

“I know in Trinidad it’s feast or famine,” he added.

If and when Hart plays mas on Carnival Tuesday, he probably keeps an eye out for traffic, just in case.

Yet, there is no question that his level-headed approach is reaping dividends within a squad that went six successive games without scoring before his arrival; but has since netted 13 times from nine outings, of which only two were in regulation time defeats.

The sharp witted team captain Kenwyne Jones described the result as a fitting end to a good year while midfielder Chris Birchall, one of the key components of the Warriors’ historic 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, was thrilled to retire on a high.

Yet, with all due respect to the other cast members, it was the shy Guerra that probably deserved the serenity of a good result more than anyone.

On Carnival Sunday, Guerra’s 33-year-old brother, Marvin Guerra, accompanied him to the Piarco International Airport as the Caledonia AIA player left to join Finland Premier League club, RoPS.

Two weeks later, Marvin was murdered after, according to the police, the John John resident just happened to be on St Paul’s Street at the wrong time during the height of a borderline dispute between rival gangs.

“(Marvin) was my role model in football growing up,” said Guerra, who lived with his brother and siblings in John John. “He played Intercol (football) with Malick and I used to watch him and wanted to be even better than he was and he wanted me to be better too…

“He wanted me to always strive for greatness and not settle for what I have and to be the best that I can be. I play with my heart and soul every day to try to make my brother and family proud.”

Three months later in May 2013, Guerra’s 38-year-old sister-in-law Beverly Nurse, the widow of slain gang leader Mark Guerra, was also gunned down.

Then, in June, a still unexplained administrative cock-up robbed Guerra of the chance to play at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup as the Warriors’ technical staff failed to apply for his United States visa in time.

It would have been his biggest international tournament to date and Guerra had helped the Warriors to qualify with some gutsy performances during the 2012 Caribbean Cup.

“It wasn’t one of my best seasons,” said Guerra, in a typical ‘footballer-speak’ understatement. “But I did my best. There are always ups and downs in your careers…”

Public speaking is not Guerra’s thing but he is getting better. He used to speak in whispers; but the 26-year-old is more assertive now, although his head still bobs nervously from side to side and his grammar needs improving.

He is growing up, on and off the field; football is the making of him.

Last night, Guerra gave something back to his growing fan base with a wonderful opening goal that lifted around 7,000 spectators on to their feet and banished any lingering feelings of inferiority against a bitter Caribbean rival.

It was Guerra too that scored the lone goal in Montego Bay last Friday as the Warriors beat Jamaica away for the first time since Independence. But there were many heroes in red, black and white gear last night.

Jones, the giant Stoke City striker, has been the lightning rod for so much of the criticism directed towards the Warriors ever since Stern John’s retirement. But, again, he led the line well last night and lent belief to his teammates.

Jamaica’s German coach Winfried Schafer, a 2002 Africa Cup of Nations winner with Cameroon, said it was Hart’s job to discuss the Warriors’ performance. But he jumped at the chance to discuss Jones’ hold up play and the way he brought his teammates into the game.

“He is a fantastic striker; not only the best in the Caribbean,” said Schafer.

Daneil Cyrus and Carlyle Mitchell, a promising central defensive duo under the joint stewardship of Jamaal Shabazz and Hutson Charles, were re-united last night to the detriment of the Jamaican attack.

By the end of the 90 minutes, Schafer had used five different attackers without success while the Boyz’ highly rated striker, Darren Mattocks, limped off the field after some rugged treatment from Mitchell.

Mitchell and Mattocks both play for Major League Soccer (MLS) team Vancouver Whitecaps and the Canada-based club should probably have counsellors ready for its next training session.

Aubrey David made the most of his outing at left back while Joevin Jones, who was the first choice left back at the Gold Cup, finally showed glimpses of what he can do at international level in an attacking midfield role.

For all that, it was a nervy start for the Warriors last night.

Birchall was presented with an autographed shirt by Trinidad and Tobago president Anthony Carmona before kick-off but there was no fuss for Carlos Edwards who made it clear that, contrary to belief, he is not ready to quit the international team yet.

Perhaps the ambiguity about his trip home had unsettled Edwards. He was not at his best against Jamaica and, uncharacteristically, was twice stripped of possession on the outskirts of his own penalty area.

There was a scary moment too as Jones landed, boot first, on the neck of teammate Lester Peltier while Trinidad and Tobago attacked a corner.

Peltier wanted to play on but Hart was adamant that it wasn’t worth the risk; and the winger, who had started brighter than anybody, was replaced by Rundell Winchester after just 25 minutes.

Jamaican goalkeeper Richard McCallum tipped over a trademark Birchall rocket in the 38th minute while Boyz striker Deshorn Brown and Jones (K) both had decent shouts for a penalty before Guerra put the Warriors ahead in some style.

The former Caledonia AIA playmaker glided in from the left, stuttered his run and then smashed a low, powerful effort past McCallum at his near post to send the Warrior fans into uproar.

Hart replaced Birchall with the combative young midfielder, Kevan George, in the 69th minute and the Hasely Crawford got to its feet to thank “Me Mum” for his service.

The Jamaican coaches stood up too and asked their substitutes to follow; but only three of the six Boyz reserves were gracious enough to do so.

Jones (K) penalized their petulance from the spot, seconds later, after Jamaica sweeper Alvas Powell tripped Winchester in the penalty box.

It was the sixth international goal for the Premiership striker from nine outings under Hart. To put that into better context, Jones’ last 50 international appearances yielded just seven goals.

“We were quietly confident of our abilities (yesterday),” said Jones. “It brings the year to a good end for us.”

Jones’ form mirrors the rosy outlook for his team at present and there can be nothing better than that for a captain.

Steady custodian Jan-Michael Williams, another who has used football to slay personal demons after his fiancée Candice Worrell was subjected to a brutal robbery last year, took over the captaincy when Trevin Caesar replaced Jones for the final 11 minutes.

But it was Guerra’s night.

Over a decade ago, there was nationwide outrage as then Prime Minister Patrick Manning met with his brother and gang leader, Mark Guerra. And the young Warrior spoke of the adulation he felt when he saw his brother host not only the Prime Minister but personalities like Jamaican dancehall artist, Ninja Man.

But Mark’s lifestyle was not sustainable; and he met his end in a hail of bullets.

Yesterday in Port of Spain, just 10 minutes’ drive from John John, Guerra shook president Carmona’s hand before kick-off; and it was the Jamaican dons who bowed to him as he scored his fourth international goal for the Warriors.

In the words of one of football’s greatest managers and former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson: “Football. Bloody hell!”

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago
(4-2-3-1): 21.Jan-Michael Williams (GK) (vice-captain); 11.Carlos Edwards (16.Curtis Gonzales 87), 12.Daneil Cyrus, 19.Carlyle Mitchell (6.Radanfah Abu Bakr 73), 2.Aubrey David; 7.Chris Birchall (5.Kevan George 69), 14.Andre Boucaud (18.Densill Theobald 82); 11.Lester Peltier (13.Rundell Winchester 25), 10.Ataulla Guerra, 8.Joevin Jones; 9. Kenwyne Jones (captain) (15.Trevin Caesar 78).

Unused substitute: 1.Cleon John (GK).

Coach: Stephen Hart

Jamaica (3-1-4-2): 13.Richard McCallum (GK); 19.Adrian Reid, 5.Alvas Powell, 2.Upston Edwards (3.Dicoy Williams 46); 15.JeVaughn Watson (captain); 9.Jason Johnson, 6.Jermaine Woozencroft, 16.Omar Daley, 20.Kemar Lawrence, 8.Michael Seaton (11.Darren Mattocks 46 [18.Jermaine Anderson 58]), 17.Deshorn Brown (14.Andrew Vanzie 84).

Unused substitutes: 23.Gariece McPherson (GK), 12.Brian Brown, 4.Phinn Montrose.

Coach: Winfried Schafer

Referee: Enrico Rinjgaarde (Suriname)

International friendly results

(Tue Nov 19)

Trinidad and Tobago 2 (Ataullah Guerra 48, Kenwyne Jones 71 pen), Jamaica 0 at Port of Spain

(Fri Nov 15)

Trinidad and Tobago 1 (Ataullah Guerra 11), Jamaica 0 at Montego Bay
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:18:37 AM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
Good reports Flex and Lasana... and good vid post Tallman.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Guerra tactics: Warriors spank Boyz for a fine end to 2013
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Read more...
Thoroughly entertaining article there from Lasana! :thumbsup:

I particularly enjoyed the opening line:
The Trinidad and Tobago national football team made a case for the resumption of corporal punishment last night

I also really enjoyed this paragraph:
By the end of the 90 minutes, Schafer had used five different attackers without success while the Boyz’ highly rated striker, Darren Mattocks, limped off the field after some rugged treatment from Mitchell.

Mitchell and Mattocks both play for Major League Soccer (MLS) team Vancouver Whitecaps and the Canada-based club should probably have counsellors ready for its next training session.
:devil:

Also enjoyed getting the background info on Ataullah Guerra and how he has managed to conquer adversity.

This last paragraph here on Ataullah was a beautiful piece of writing:
But it was Guerra’s night.

Over a decade ago, there was nationwide outrage as then Prime Minister Patrick Manning met with his brother and gang leader, Mark Guerra. And the young Warrior spoke of the adulation he felt when he saw his brother host not only the Prime Minister but personalities like Jamaican dancehall artist, Ninja Man.

But Mark’s lifestyle was not sustainable; and he met his end in a hail of bullets.

Yesterday in Port of Spain, just 10 minutes’ drive from John John, Guerra shook president Carmona’s hand before kick-off; and it was the Jamaican dons who bowed to him as he scored his fourth international goal for the Warriors.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:11:56 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zJegAQxkVOE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zJegAQxkVOE</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
dats 'ow we dweet... ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
Not to mention, Michael McComie's retarded reason for denying Guerra, Hyland and Peltier the opportunity, several years ago, to take advantage of an international trial because he had a beef with Fenwick. F&#king retard.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
Not to mention, Michael McComie's retarded reason for denying Guerra, Hyland and Peltier the opportunity, several years ago, to take advantage of an international trial because he had a beef with Fenwick. F&#king retard.

Wow, had forgotten about this yes, 3 of our starting midfielders today.  I know they have to face opposition in competitive settings (CFU championship, next GC etc); but I am really psyched by the entire TEAM possibilities and chemistry that is clearly marinating, well seasoned to the bone.  Let's keep up the momentum folks, press on.

Good strike Guerra, que disparo, golaso, golaso!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »
Thanks Socapro! Much appreciated man...  :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:30 AM »
Skeene, La Forest pleased with TT showing
T&T Newsday Reports

FORMER TRINIDAD and Tobago striker Dexter Skeene and Ron La Forest were pleased with the showing of the national team who defeated Jamaica 2-0 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Following Tuesday evening’s game, Skeene said, “it’s always a good win for Trinidad when we play against Jamaica, back-to-back.”

The current Pro League Chief Executive Officer (CEO) continued, “you’re seeing the TT players showing a level of maturity. They also seem very organised and technically we’ve seen some improvements as well.”

He added, “the TT (based) players seem very comfortable and it augurs well for Trinidad and Tobago, and for the League as well. The League is able to produce the players who can step into the national program and deliver the kind of performance that is noteworthy. When you look at Rundell Winchester, he looked very good (on Tuesday) night. He look like somebody with a lot of potential. Joevin Jones (as well), these guys are really stepping up. It is really encouraging. They continue to work and things could only improve from here on end.”

Commenting on the retirement of midfielder Chris Birchall, Skeene stated, “Birchall has brought his style, aggression and tenacity to Trinidad (and Tobago) football. That killer instinct that he has, which is something that really fitted well with the team and a quality that is not too common here in Trinidad.

“It’s sad to see that he is going. I think he looks as though he can still play a couple more years. I wish him all the best and hopefully we can get another player who can fit into his shoes.”

Skeene pointed out, “hats off to Ataullah Guerra. For a couple of years now, I’ve been saying that he has been a player with loads of ability and he can break down a defence on any given day. The right players are now into the fold and you’re seeing the maturity of the players who have been exposed abroad now and coming back, and contributing towards the national team.”

According to La Forest, “we saw two different halves. The first half was a bit tight and in the second half, with the changes, (we had) a lot more room to play with, and we seemed to take advantage of that.”

In the forthcoming year, the ex-national and Defence Force forward noted, “this could only build on, young talent and so. I think once they stay together, we can see something for the future.”

And, regarding the retirement of Birchall, the Guaya United coach said, “we have talent to replace (him). Birchall played well, we appreciate that very much. We have tons of ability here also. We just have to work with them.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9hUlkpipo-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9hUlkpipo-8</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Lawd, Ron certainly voiced his sentiments on Chris's contribution to the TTNT.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
Ron is one of them ole creole, off course he go talk shit about a foreigner especially a white one.

Instead of just giving de man a good send off.

Off course we have talent here but they head in de gutter.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
Lawd, Ron certainly voiced his sentiments on Chris's contribution to the TTNT.
Sound just like Corneal commentary during the game when Chris was coming off.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
Schafer sounds trumpet
Jamaica Observer

Boyz coach says unfit players better shape up, or ship out

Players wishing to be a part of Winfried Schafer's Reggae Boyz squad had better be prepared to raise their fitness levels to international standards, minimise their mistakes during the learning curve, exhibit leadership skills and most importantly, learn from their mistakes.

That was the German's frank review of his team's 0-2 loss to Trinidad and Tobago here at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Tuesday night. Finnish-based player Ataulla Guerra struck in the 49th minute and captain Kenwyne Jones secured victory with a 73rd minute penalty.

"The players must watch the DVDs of the games and learn from their mistakes," Schafer told the Jamaica Observer at game's end.

He readily admitted that he needs matches to evaluate the players, "so that the players can learn, minimise their mistakes and become better players", he emphasised.

He said he will compile a CV of all players "to assess what is good and what is bad about each player".

"After a few weeks, we watch him again to see if he wants to learn and if not, he's out (of the programme)", the coach added.

The former Cameroon national team coach was also unimpressed with the fitness level of a few players and has promised to work with the local clubs and the national team's physical trainer Andre Waugh to try to get those players up to speed.

"I was not happy about two players who were tired after 10 minutes. They need to work hard and fight for their team," he said. "It is not easy to play at the international level... the fitness is not very high to play at this level.

"I need to talk with our fitness coach and get many of these players to him to assess their fitness, and if their fitness does not improve, then they have to go out," he warned.

Tuesday night's victory gave Trinidad and Tobago a clean sweep of the two-game friendly international series after Guerra struck in the fifth minute for a 1-0 win at the Montego Bay Sports Complex last Friday night.

Prior to kick-off, a minute's silence was observed out of respect for the passing of the son of former Reggae Boyz head coach and star player Theodore Whitmore. Also, Port Vale midfielder Christopher Birchall, who scored an important goal against Bahrain in the 2006 World Cup Qualifying play-off which helped his team to Germany, was recognised as he officially brought the curtains down on his international career.

Another veteran, Carlos Edwards, of Ipswich Town, was also recognised for his service to Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors.

Trinidad and Tobago went ahead when Guerra was allowed the luxury of cutting inside from the left flank deep into the Jamaica defensive third, and dribbled to the centre of the penalty area before unloading a powerful low drive into the corner of the goal.

It was from a similar situation that the hosts earned their second goal as Jones and Rundell Winchester combined neatly on the left before the latter wiggled past his marker to dart laterally inside the box. Alvas Powell, who had confidently thwarted the threat from Jones, came across too late and could only bring down the player giving Surinamese referee Enrico Winjgaarde no choice but to point to the spot.

Jones made no mistakes, which made amends for a clear missed chance early in the first half when he skied a right-sided cross from inside the six-yard box.

Schafer was pleased with most of the Reggae Boyz' offering in the first half.

"First half they got only one chance from Jones, we played compact and we had about three chances with Adrian (Reid), Watson (Je-Vaughn) and a clear penalty from Omar (Daley), but our problem is our inability to finish at goal, this is what is missing from our team," he said, struggling to contextualise his thoughts.

"The first goal from Trinidad, that is what I have asked from Jason (Johnson) to cut inside and shoot, but he goes inside and instead of shooting, he tends to move away from goal. But it is okay, he is one player who needs more time for training.

"Second half we changed a defender because Upston (Edwards) was injured and that was a big problem. Seaton (Michael) was tired and we took off Jason for Mattocks (Darren), but he got injured shortly after.

"This time it was not bad (for the team), but the goal was a stupid goal because I asked that Adrian and Omar support each other, but Omar was too far away to support Adrian, and this shouldn't be possible."

The coach noted that after the goal the game became much more difficult for his charges, and the problem was compounded as nobody tried to shoot at goal, and the few set pieces resulted in poor deliveries into the penalty area.

The Boyz had a decent shout for penalty waved off in the first half when Daley robbed Edwards, who dallied on the ball for far too long, deep into the Trinidadian defensive third. Daley raced inside the penalty area from the left, and instead of relaying a pass to the unmarked Seaton who was in a clear position to score, he held onto the ball even as the retreating Edwards pulled him to the turf.

Schafer also lamented the lack of leadership skills in the group. He admitted that he wanted to incorporate Rodolph Austin and Wes Morgan into this side, but both players were unavailable.

"The leaders give the other players confidence," he said, but was quick to add that "we will have a good team in the future, we have talented players, but they need to work much harder, and learn as they go along. Talent is not all."

Teams:

Jamaica - (13) Richard McCallum, (2) Upston Edwards (3, Dicoy Williams 46th), (5) Alvas Powell, (19) Adrian Reid, (20) Kemar Lawrence, (6) Jermaine Woozencraft, (15) Je-Vaughn Watson, (16) Omar Daley, (8) Michael Seaton (11, Darren Mattocks 46th, 18, Jermaine Anderson 59th), (9) Jason Johnson (12, Brian brown 46th), (17) Deshorn Brown (14, Andrew Vanzie 85th).
Subs not used: (1) Gariece McPherson, (4) Montrose Phinn

Booked: Anderson (76th)

Trinidad and Tobago - (21) Jan Michael Williams, (2) Aubrey David, (4) Daniel Cyrus, (8) Joevin Jones, (11) Carlos Edwards (16, Curtis Gonzalez 88th), (7) Christopher Birchall (5, Kevan George 70th), (9) Kenwyne Jones (15, Trevin Ceasar 80th), (10) Ataulla Guerra, (14) Andre Boucaud (18, Densil Theobald 82nd), (12) Lester Peltier (13, Rundell Winchester 28th), (19) Carlyle Mitchell (6, Radanfah Abu Bakr 74th).

Subs not used: Cleon John

Booked: Cyrus (45th), Boucaud (55th)

Referee: Enrico Winjgaarde (Suriname)

Assistant Referees: Ainsley Rochard (T&T), Caleb Wales (T&T)

Fourth Official: Neil Brizan (T&T)

Match Commissioner: Carl Joseph (T&T)

Referee Assessor: Lynda Bramble (T&T)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1nyhMrBtFuU&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1nyhMrBtFuU&amp;</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Fpfp6zrgbJQ&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Fpfp6zrgbJQ&amp;</a>
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9hUlkpipo-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9hUlkpipo-8</a>

This Schafer guy acclimatize to Jamaica a lot quicker than I thought. He has all the excuses down pat. By next week he go be saying yeh mon iree iyah.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
Jamaican coach look like a Die Hard villain.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
:rotfl:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Guerra strikes again as T&T double up on Reggae Boyz.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 04:35:54 AM »

Hahahaha
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>