April 23, 2024, 02:48:32 AM

Author Topic: Refugees & Illegals in T&T Thread.  (Read 33295 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: 110,000 illegals in T&T.
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:41 AM »
At this moment - I dont think that Trinidad could function without guayanese labor since a lot of trinis rather work CEPEP.

Would you or your family do the work that Guyanese do?

Hell yes!! If I came to T&T without much and......

If I am allowed to squat freely on government land, then I am offered land and housing in marginal constituencies in front of born and breed Trinis (who have been on the housing waiting list for decades and are still waiting) and I am also able to regularized or gain dual citizenship quite rapidly in return for voting for the current government that has given me preferential treatment above other groups for what they view as political gain.

This is why we now have a large population in T&T who are in the country for what they can get rather than for genuine love for the country.

PS:
Btw right now the current head of UWI in Trinidad is an Indo-Guyanese so Guyanese are doing quite well in T&T. In fact I would estimate that at least half the Indians living in T&T now have Guyanese roots. What I find worrying though is that I personally know of bright Afro-Trinis with distinctions in their subjects and who have meet all the entry requirements but have been unable to gain entry to UWI in Trinidad. As a result they had to go to Jamaica and elsewhere at extra financial cost to themselves and their family and were immediately accepted. So it seems that race discrimination politics in T&T is now even affecting the education system especially at university level.
It looks like we are trying to become like the new Apartheid South Africa of the Caribbean under the current government but there are plenty supporters of the current government who are only too happy to stick their heads in the sand about what is taking place. Nazi Germany and Apartheid South Africa did not become the racist regimes they became over night, the price of freedom and democracy is eternal vigilence.

so pro you have proof that half have guyanese roots??? but why stop there though, why not include the other islanders that came to TT under Dr.Williams as well to boost votes??? my great grandmother being one of them from vincey... or my grandfather who opened up business in pos and gave so many trinis employment and brought so much money and goods to trinidad..

lets talk holistically brother... many g8 nations were built on immigration and immigrants... you target indo-guyanese which to me is just biased and subjective...

try to be objective... no one is condoning illegal immigration but why target one group of a certain race??? what is your objective in doing that???

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
At this moment - I dont think that Trinidad could function without guayanese labor since a lot of trinis rather work CEPEP.

Would you or your family do the work that Guyanese do?

Hell yes!! If I came to T&T without much and......

If I am allowed to squat freely on government land, then I am offered land and housing in marginal constituencies in front of born and breed Trinis (who have been on the housing waiting list for decades and are still waiting) and I am also able to regularized or gain dual citizenship quite rapidly in return for voting for the current government that has given me preferential treatment above other groups for what they view as political gain.

This is why we now have a large population in T&T who are in the country for what they can get rather than for genuine love for the country.

PS:
Btw right now the current head of UWI in Trinidad is an Indo-Guyanese so Guyanese are doing quite well in T&T. In fact I would estimate that at least half the Indians living in T&T now have Guyanese roots. What I find worrying though is that I personally know of bright Afro-Trinis with distinctions in their subjects and who have meet all the entry requirements but have been unable to gain entry to UWI in Trinidad. As a result they had to go to Jamaica and elsewhere at extra financial cost to themselves and their family and were immediately accepted. So it seems that race discrimination politics in T&T is now even affecting the education system especially at university level.
It looks like we are trying to become like the new Apartheid South Africa of the Caribbean under the current government but there are plenty supporters of the current government who are only too happy to stick their heads in the sand about what is taking place. Nazi Germany and Apartheid South Africa did not become the racist regimes they became over night, the price of freedom and democracy is eternal vigilence.

so pro you have proof that half have guyanese roots??? but why stop there though, why not include the other islanders that came to TT under Dr.Williams as well to boost votes??? my great grandmother being one of them from vincey... or my grandfather who opened up business in pos and gave so many trinis employment and brought so much money and goods to trinidad..

lets talk holistically brother... many g8 nations were built on immigration and immigrants... you target indo-guyanese which to me is just biased and subjective...

try to be objective... no one is condoning illegal immigration but why target one group of a certain race??? what is your objective in doing that???

I am not against immigration and immigrants my friend, I am against bias and discrimination.

Also I am not targeting one group over the other, but our current government is! All I am doing is pointing out some of the blatant racism and bias in how the government is operating which is destroying the fabric of Trinidad & Tobago.

I have all races as members of my family; some look African, some look Indian, soon look Chinese, and some even look White, yet they are blood relatives.

If the current government gets back into power and their plan to steal the next general election works, I can guarantee you that T&T will end up like Guyana or worse.

I just hope the opposition forces unite to get rid of the current corrupt racist government which seems to be determined to empty the treasury in case they lose the next general elections so that it will be an uphill struggle for any government which replaces them to right the ship.
During the last 4 1/2 years the current government has already spent more money than the previous 4 governments put together and we have little to show for it other than most of the government ministers becoming millionaires during their term in power.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:09:28 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stay out! - 13 Jamaicans turned away from Trinidad
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2015, 04:04:26 AM »
TT, Jamaica will work ‘as friends’
TT Newsday
Friday, April 10 2015

PRIME Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Wednesday acknowledged recent immigration issues have demonstrated that there is still work to do on this country’s relationship with Jamaica but said both nations must work together to achieve the dream of independence.

As she commissioned the new Trinidad and Tobago High Commission at Kingston, Persad- Bissessar also called on citizens to celebrate the historic achievements of Caribbean leaders, including former PNM Prime Minister Patrick Manning and former UNC Prime Minister Basdeo Panday.

On relations with Jamaica, Persad-Bissessar alluded to recent immigration matters.

“While recently, on issues of immigration, signals arose that there is still work to do to enhance our diplomatic relations, I give you Trinidad and Tobago’s assurance that we will work to do better, for and by our peoples,” the Prime Minister said at a special ceremony held at 25 Windsor Avenue, Kingston, Jamaica. “Today’s event is appropriately symbolic of our belief, and mission, to ensure that even as we enjoy a long history of good relations, we always do more to enhance our relationship as Caricom nations, and as friends.”

Persad-Bissessar paid tribute to past regional leaders.

“As we celebrate our deep desire to walk towards the future as partners, I always believe it is necessary to ensure that the men and women who came before us find not only a safe place, but also a visible place in history,” the Prime Minister said. “We must never allow ourselves, or our children to forget the giants who came before us, the men and women who fought to create the nations that inspire pride in us today. The likes of (Alexander) Bustamante, (Norman) Manley, (Edward) Seaga, (PJ) Patterson and (Marcus) Garvey must be celebrated alongside the likes of Williams, (George) Chambers, Panday, Manning and CLR James.”

Persad-Bissessar disclosed that approximately 8,000 Trinidad and Tobago citizens live in Jamaica, and also took the opportunity to publically thank law enforcement authorities for their work in the speedy trial of the man who was found to have murdered the daughter of Local Government Minister Marlene Coudray.

“I today recognise the Director of Public Prosecutions Paula Llewelyn, and her deputy, Maxine Jackson, for the role they played in the successful prosecution of the man charged with the murder, in Jamaica, of the daughter of our Minister of Local Government, Marlene Coudray,” the Prime Minister said. She recalled her personal ties with the northern Caribbean island where she once studied for her Bachelor of Arts Degree and a Diploma in Education at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus. She also noted she once taught at St Andrew’s High School in Kingston and lectured at the Mona campus.

“And so this is always a sort of homecoming for me,” the Prime Minister said. In 2013, Persad- Bissessar stood alongside Jamaica Prime Minister Portia Simpson-Miller to receive the International Association of Political Consultants (IAPC) 2013 Democracy Award. The UNC political leader placed development of democracy in both islands in context of post- Independence history.

“We are therefore bound by history and hope; the pride and strength of our peoples and the determination to make our mark and define our space on the world stage. I’m sure that the over 8,000 Trinidad and Tobago nationals resident in Jamaica will find comfort in seeing our nations standing together in principle and in practice.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stay out! - 13 Jamaicans turned away from Trinidad
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2015, 01:59:42 AM »
LOCK UP FOR JAMAICANS
By Darcel Choy (Newsday)
Friday, April 17 2015

THE TWO Jamaican women charged with stealing money during the fatal assault on a Chinese businessman in Curepe last Tuesday (April 7) will spend the weekend behind bars at the Women’s Prison in Golden Grove, Arouca as police try to find out more about them.

The two women — Monique Dennis and Racquel Williams — were remanded into custody yesterday until the matter comes up again on Monday.

They appeared before Magistrate Gillian David-Scotland charged with stealing $834,782.80 from supermarket proprietor Hi Hong Huang on April 7. The magistrate said she will consider bail when they come before her again on Monday.

During their appearance yesterday, the magistrate asked Dennis what ties she had to Trinidad. Dennis replied that she has a sister who lives on Saddle Road, San Juan. The magistrate asked both accused women if they intend to get a lawyer in the matter and they replied, “yes.”

David-Scotland informed Dennis and Williams that they will have to be remanded into custody until tracing can be done in Jamaica.

“That will take a few days so on the next occasion I will deal with the issue of bail,” David-Scotland said. Huang’s relatives were in the court when the two women appeared yesterday

The businessman was attacked by two men and eventually fatally shot while he was walking into his businessplace, Happiness Supermarket, off the Southern Main Road in Curepe on April 7. He was carrying a box containing more than $800,000 in cash when the assault took place.

CCTV cameras captured Huang being wrestled to the ground violently by a man who approached him seeking to grab the box. Another man joined in the melee. Shortly after the attack, the men fled the scene and two women were then seen rummaging and removing contents from the box which the bandits had left behind.

The men have not been caught, but Dennis and Williams were charged with stealing the money after they were taken off a Caribbean Airlines (CAL) flight destined for Jamaica on March 9.

Checks by Newsday yesterday revealed a Facebook page operated by Dennis. It indicated that she was from Kingston Jamaica and moved to Trinidad. The page contains several photographs of Dennis.

Also, when Newsday contacted Jamaica police yesterday, Constable Ingram of the Corporate Communications Unit of the Jamaican Constabulary Force said they have not received any information regarding the case of the two women. The officer said he was unaware of the charges against both women in Trinidad.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2015, 06:14:46 AM »
100 ARRIVALS WEEKLY
By COREY CONNELLY (NEWSDAY)

Maria (not her real name) walked in front of a mirror at a dimly-lit bar in Port-of-Spain.

Scantily dressed, she seemed barely out of high school, yet her curvaceous frame a sight to behold.

But it’s a body that houses turmoil often too much for Maria to bear and over which she has no control.

The dream of earning more money brought the bright-eyed,Venezuelan woman to Trinidad and Tobago three months ago on an “illegal” journey by sea. During the six-hour crossing, she wondered how she would be able to take care of elderly people in nursing homes, especially since she had no formal training. She had been offered a job in a nursing home.

When Maria got off the boat at a deserted shore, with a structure barely larger than the home in which she grew up being the only sign of human habitation, her dreams of a better life were promptly shattered.

Three months later, Maria is in debt to her ‘recruiter’, and working in a bar as a prostitute. Her days are consumed only by a desire to return home to Venezuela.

Maria is among hundreds of young Latin American women who have been lured to Trinidad and Tobago over the years by operators of a thriving human trafficking industry. Venezuelan women have become especially easy prey on given the country’s worsening socio-economic status.

Believed to be a multi-million dollar operation — second only to the illegal drug trade — human trafficking in TT is said to be a well-orchestrated scheme involving members of the business community, law enforcement officials, influential persons in the society and others seeking to earn some quick cash.

Women are usually brought into the country via the southern peninsula, specifically Icacos, Cedros and other neighbouring fishing villages. A row of boats beached on shore, children playing happily on the sand, small parlours selling sweets and savouries, men preparing their gear for fishing — residents say beneath the idyllic veneer of seashore serenity, the illegal sex trade flourishes with a vengeance.

It is not uncommon to spot a Venezuelan national or several, in villages along TT’s southernmost region since the South American country and this country do enjoy long-standing relations. But aside from the family connections, many more people are coming ashore for economic reasons. An official at the Customs and Immigration Building in Cedros estimated that at least 100 persons arrive at the port every week.

“Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela have a trade and economic history. But there are also family ties, there is a lot of inter-marriage in Cedros.

“They (the Latin Americans) come easily by boat and are known to enter the mainland, shop and carry back items. So, there is a trade and family relationship because the men here marry the women there. Children are born there. Cedros has Spanish-speaking persons because Venezuela is just a short distance away.”

There is also the business of sex.

The official described as a “cultural thing” what he said was Trini men fondness for Latin women.

“The men in Trinidad who are into commercial sex are attracted to Latin American women who fetch a different price to probably other types,” the official ventured, also revealing that for many teenaged boys in TT, sexual initiation takes place in a brothel with a Latina.

“That is a part of the (TT) culture,” the Customs official said.

He said many of the women do have the required documentation to enter TT while others attempt to elude the authorities in hope of seeking a better life in this country.

“Sometimes, we have had to return women because they failed to clarify the reasons for coming to Trinidad,” the official said.

“Their body language can usually tell if they are lying but in some cases they are coached by the persons coming to collect them on how they should answer. Some of them are even looking for men to marry them.”

The Sunday Newsday discovered that upon arrival in TT, the women are usually housed at brothels masquerading as nightclubs and hotels.

A visit to known “clubs” in south Trinidad showed them to be surrounded by especially high concrete walls and from the exterior, one can see barricaded windows, surveillance cameras and ferocious dogs but nothing to suggest that these are dens of iniquity.

The Port-of-Spain “club” where Maria is forced to work is licenced as a hotel and bar. On a Saturday night, it is filled with throngs of patrons, loud music and cold beers. On Sundays, business is much slower: it is usually regarded as a day for family.

Maria’s “work” usually begins at 7pm and ends around 4 am the following day. On a good night she can earn hundreds of dollars, depending on the needs of her clients. Most of this money will go to her “recruiter”.

Official statistics on the impact of human trafficking in TT are hard to come by but there appears to be a growing demand for underage girls — a development which is engaging the attention of the Counter-Trafficking Unit (CTU).

Established just two years ago as the government’s formal response to human trafficking, the CTU claims some progress. CTU’s Deputy Director Alana Wheeler claims reports to the unit have been increasing.

“Last year, we investigated 35 reports and already for the half of this year, we investigated 35 reports,” she said in an interview at the CTU’s headquarters at Felipe House, corner of Park and Abercromby Streets, in Port-of-Spain.

She said that since the formation of the unit, some 20 trafficking victims have been rescued, 25 percent of which started off as smuggling cases.

Some 13 persons were charged with human trafficking in those incidents, she said.

“What we also found out is that of the 20 cases, the majority were sexual exploitation and that would be Venezuelan, Dominican Republic and Columbian nationals,” she said.

Wheeler anticipated that reports will increase given the unit’s ongoing sensitisation workshops in the various police divisions, other fora and through its hotline, which was launched in March.

The CTU categorise the women in two groups: those who may have been duped into thinking they would receive a better life in this country and those who would come here deliberately to engage in prostitution, largely to support people they have left behind in Latin America. In the latter, many of the women are not even aware that prostitution is illegal in TT.

“What we have found is that because of the economic crisis in Venezuela, there is an increase in the number of girls coming to Trinidad. Of course, it is a financial need and some of these girls are university students and they are lured here to earn US dollars,” Wheeler said.

The women, some of whom are single mothers, may stay in the country for a period of two weeks to a month to get money to buy basic commodities such as toilet paper, rice and flour, before returning home.

“These are considered luxury items in Venezuela right now,” Wheeler said. She noted, though that TT customs officers sometimes confiscate the goods when the women are being repatriated to their country. Wheeler noted that human trafficking was organised crime, saying there were persons facilitating the trade “on both sides.”

“You have corrupt officials, public officers, who also facilitate the crime,” she said, reminding that two police officers have been charged with human trafficking since the establishment of the unit.

One of the police officers, PC Valentine Eastman, was charged in April 2013, with transporting three Columbian women to a brothel in Marabella into prostitution. Eastman, a policeman with 23 years service, was slapped with ten charges under the Trafficking In Persons Act 2011. At the time he was charged, two years ago, Eastman’s case was the first human trafficking matter in the English-speaking Caribbean.

“The police provide protection at the brothels and clubs. They do the moonlighting at these places and even give tip-offs when there is going to be a raid,” Wheeler said. She said sex with the women may also form part of the officer’s payment scheme. “It (human trafficking) is corruption and that is worldwide,” she said.

She said, though that TT, was intent on doing its part to eliminate the threat to existing and potential victims.

The Trafficking in Persons Act, which was proclaimed in January 2013, proposes hefty penalties for public officers found guilty of human trafficking.

Part Five of the legislation, Criminal Offences and Related Provisions, states that any police officer, customs officer, immigration officer, member of the Defence Force, member of the Prisons Service, or any other public official found to be liable for any offence under this Act, he or she is liable on conviction or indictment to imprisonment for 25 years.

In addition, the legislation states that a person who, for the purpose of exploitation, incites, organises or directs another person to recruit, transport, transfer or harbour a child in TT, commits the offence of trafficking in children and is liable on conviction or indictment to a fine of not less than $1 million and imprisonment of not less than 25 years.

Saying that “special concessions” were made in the legislation to address errant public officers, Wheeler said the fines for offenders were “higher than many other jurisdictions.”

Saying that much more needed to be done to combat human trafficking, Wheeler said the CTU does plan to employ more staff to facilitate the increase in the number of investigations coming to the unit.

The CTU now has a full-time staff of 15, comprising Wheeler, an administrative officer, seven police officers, three immigration officers, a senior legal officer and a communications specialist.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Steups!!!So what the CTU doing?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Griffith, in a statement, claims that more than 20,000 Jamaicans were residing here illegally and have become a burden on the state.

Former minister blames CSME for Jamaica-T&T migration problems

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Former-minister-blames-CSME-for-Jamaica-T-T-migration-problems

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Former national security minister Gary Griffith is urging the Trinidad and Tobago Government not to be intimidated by calls out of Jamaica for that Caribbean Community (Caricom) country to seek legal action regarding the deportation of Jamaican nationals.

Griffith, in a statement, claims that more than 20,000 Jamaicans were residing here illegally and have become a burden on the state.

Earlier this week, Caricom Deputy Secretary-General Ambassador Dr Manorma Soeknandan said there is need for more sensitisation among regional border officials regarding the rules and procedures governing free travel within the 15-member grouping.

Soeknandan said that the way Caricom nationals were treated as they travelled regionally continued to generate discussion.

Jamaicans have called for a boycott of goods from Port of Spain and earlier this week Opposition legislator called on the new Andrew Holness-led Government to take the matter before the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).

But Griffith, who served as national security minister in the former government, said: “It is indeed alarming, that the Jamaican Opposition would question the legitimate actions by our immigration officers, as they attempt daily to do their jobs, after being abused constantly by a few Jamaican nationals who attempt to enter our country without the appropriate requirements, and documentation.

“It is because of this, that there are over 20,000 Jamaican nationals who have done just that, by using the CSME (Caricom Single Market and Economy) angle to enter for six months, but then refuse to leave after that six-month period.

“They remain unemployed and become a burden to the State; if unemployed, at times some turn to a life of crime, inclusive of gang activity; If they do work, many are abused by their employers because they are here illegally and paid below the minimum wage; be employed illegally, and hence taking a job away from a bona fide TT citizen who is unemployed," Griffith said.

He said despite their illegal status, the Jamaicans still have full access to State resources such as education, medical care and other social services, and this is costing the State over TT$500 million (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) annually.

Griffith said that while the oil-rich twin island republic always had a policy of welcoming non-nationals, it disallows them solely on the grounds of them being a national security threat or burden to the State purse.

He said that the situation would not have reached to this extreme had Trinidad and Tobago been stringent with its laws.

He said it was this relaxed attitude which resulted in “certain Caricom nationals” abusing the CSME programme.

“To the Jamaican Opposition, if they are not aware, several Jamaican nationals verbally abuse our immigration officers on entry, and below are just a few examples that would confirm that such individuals should definitely be debarred entry if they attempt to enter our country, and no CSME clause can override this,” Griffith added.

The CSME allows for the free movement of goods, skills, labour and services across the region.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:43:50 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
Online poll shows 82% Jamaicans support boycott of T&T products (Yes this is related to the above post )

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/online-poll-shows-82-jamaicans-support-boycott-tt-products

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Online poll shows 82% Jamaicans support boycott of T&T products (Yes this is related to the above post )

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/online-poll-shows-82-jamaicans-support-boycott-tt-products
they have been wanting to do that a long time ago, it's just that now they have an excuse to show their colors.

for years jamaicans has fought with each other over political difference and now that the political violence was replaced by the gangs they are seeking another opponent to feud with, and that new opponent is us.

the jamaican experience has a lot of non thinking nincompoops in their mids who wield a lot of influence and mislead a lot of these sheepish troublesome lich mobs in their community, and it's sad to see that people who have so much to offer could be so disruptive and with very little provocation.

i really hated patrick manning for buying that money pit of an airline, and more upset that he agreed to this ridiculous treaty of chagauramus. i had enough of those jamaicans in england and witness first hand how little respect they have for trinidadians. i say get out of caricom or amend that silly treaty and get these bachanal people out of our lives once and for all. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:17:59 AM by pull stones »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »

Now Jamaica's Government dissatisfied with T&T's oil prices (and Yes! this is related to the two previous posts!)

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/now-jamaicas-government-dissatisfied-tts-oil-prices

T&T products removed from grocery shelves in Jamaica
http://www.cnc3.co.tt/news/tt-products-removed-grocery-shelves-jamaica
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:56:01 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2016, 02:35:47 PM »

they have been wanting to do that a long time ago, it's just that now they have an excuse to show their colors.

for years jamaicans has fought with each other over political difference and now that the political violence was replaced by the gangs they are seeking another opponent to feud with, and that new opponent is us.

the jamaican experience has a lot of non thinking nincompoops in their mids who wield a lot of influence and mislead a lot of these sheepish troublesome lich mobs in their community, and it's sad to see that people who have so much to offer could be so disruptive and with very little provocation.

i really hated patrick manning for buying that money pit of an airline, and more upset that he agreed to this ridiculous treaty of chagauramus. i had enough of those jamaicans in england and witness first hand how little respect they have for trinidadians. i say get out of caricom or amend that silly treaty and get these bachanal people out of our lives once and for all. 

lots of hate
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06:56 PM »

lots of hate
not hate, small mindedness and arrogance. Anytime you hear people claiming that others don't like them then they are existing on a low level of thought. Right now Caribbean people need plenty education, and I'm not referring to academics.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
TTMA: Jamaicans making up excuses for boycott

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/business-watch/ttma-jamaicans-making-excuses-boycott

Now Jamaica's Government dissatisfied with T&T's oil prices (and Yes! this is related to the two previous posts!)

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/now-jamaicas-government-dissatisfied-tts-oil-prices

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hjj4pQY9Fgo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hjj4pQY9Fgo</a>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:28:58 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »

Very few Venezuelans are taking the chance to enter T&T illegally through unofficial ports of entry as the coastline along the South Western peninsula is being manned around-the-clock by a T&T Coast Guard vessel.

The vessel, according to villagers at Icacos, has been anchored off the coast for the past two months.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-05-09/venezuelans-cautious-entering-cedros-icacos

However, T&T Guardian understands that some Venezuelan nationals take the chance to “bribe” T&T fishermen by handing over drugs, guns and ammunition in exchange to be brought into T&T through illegal ports of entry.

Some fishermen even take the Venezuelan women as wives and have them living with them here in T&T.

It is said that since the heightened coastal patrols along the coastline by the Coast Guard, this kind of trade/ human trafficking is becoming more and more difficult.

“There are one or two that still slip in. Just this morning (Friday) I saw two Venezuelans coming aboard a fisherman’s pirogue,” another Icacos villager said.

Since the crippling of the Venezuelan economy, especially in recent times, even food and water have become scarce necessities.

Scores of Venezuelans, both men and women, sacrifice 60,000 Venezuela bolivars, which is equivalent to just under US$100, to travel to T&T via a passenger ferry from Venezuela. An average of 350 Venezuelan nationals, according to unnamed Immigration sources, arrive on a monthly basis at the port in Cedros.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »

8 Jamaicans among 14 held in police exercise

http://www.looptt.com/content/8-jamaicans-among-14-held-police-exercise

Eight Jamaican nationals were among 14 persons held yesterday during a police exercise in Sangre Grande.

The exercise was spearheaded by Snr Sup Forde, with assistance from Inspector Lutchman, Sgt Fuentes, Sgt Williams, Cpl Castillo, Cpl, Khan, as well as other officers from the Sangre Grande CID and the Eastern Division Task Force.

According to reports, officers went to an apartment building at Brooklyn Settlement at about 4 am where they detained the Jamaicans — five women and three men.

Some of them have been in this country since 2012. One of them arrived approximately one month ago.

Some told police they were on vacation while others said they were gainfully employed.

Immigration authorities were called in to ascertain if the eight Jamaicans are in this country illegally.

Officers then proceeded to Upper Cunapo Road where a 19-year-old man was arrested after he was found to be in possession 56 grammes of marijuana.

The exercise then took officers to Barker Trace, Coalmine, where they stopped a silver AD Wagon with a man and a woman, ages 30 and 33. A check of the vehicle revealed 315 grammes of marijuana concealed between the two front passenger seats. The two were arrested for possession of marijuana.

The police team went to Toco Road, Sangre Grande, and arrested a 20-year-old man on an outstanding warrant. A search was also executed at the Mc Shine Street home of a 37-year-old-man who is a person of interest in the Sangre Grande area. Two gadgets used for smoking cocaine were seized.

The officers then made their way to Foster Road, Sangre Grande, where a 21-year-old man was held with 13 grammes of marijuana.

The anti-crime exercise forms part of the initiative to rid the Eastern Division of illegal arms, ammunition, drugs and illicit activities.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
Please house them in the Hyatt prior to deportation.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2016, 05:26:05 AM »
do they target them Latinos that living in tnt the same
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:40:58 AM by Trini _2018 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
Threat of larger numbers of Venezuelans storming to Cedros, Trinidad in the disguise of visiting but really to live here as an escape from the turmoil in their country could be a likely scenario.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trinbagolife/permalink/2004312303126785/

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
TTMA: Jamaicans making up excuses for boycott

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/business-watch/ttma-jamaicans-making-excuses-boycott

Check this one out yes. This one related to the links I quoted above. Rasta want war..

https://www.facebook.com/MyVTv/posts/1186414481376886

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Refugees in T&T.
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2017, 04:38:59 AM »
RISE OF REFUGEES
Asylum applications double as foreigners turn to T&T
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

As turmoil continues to plague countries globally, including neighbouring Venezuela, more people are turning to Trinidad and Tobago as a haven from pain and persecution as evi­dent in a drastic increase in the numbers of those seeking refuge.

This is according to data provided by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Human trafficking is also an issue, with cases of trafficked women being referred to the Counter Trafficking Unit of this country's National Security Ministry.

Ruben Barbado, protection officer with the UNHCR, and Nikita Mohammed, assis­tant co-ordinator at the Living Water Community, sat down with the Sunday Express at the United Nations Port of Spain office last Friday and shared statistics.

They expressed hope the Government would move forward to enact legislation to help with the refugee crisis gripping the world.

Barbado said there has been a “substantive” increase in people seeking asylum in Trinidad.

In 2016, there was a total of 163 asylum applications.

In 2017, in just the first three months, the figures have more than doubled, with some 336 asylum applications being made, with 60 per cent of this figure being men.

Barbado said Cubans remain the largest numbers of asylum seekers, but there have also been increases from Venezuela and from over 19 nationalities such as Syria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc.

There are currently 640 refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern in Trinidad and Tobago.

Barbado said Trinidad and Tobago is one of the lar­­­gest refugee-receiving coun­­tries in the Caribbean, but third in the region next to Belize and the Dominican Republic.

These two countries have legislation in place to deal with refugees.

In response to the growing number of asylum seekers in T&T, the Government adopted a refugee policy in 2016 and UNHCR established an office in January 2016.

Asylum applications in Tri­nidad and Tobago over a five-year period are as follows:

As of May 2017—336, with 60 per cent being men.

Refugees are people outside their country of origin because of feared persecution, conflict, violence or other circumstances that have seriously disturbed public order and who as a result require “international protection”.

Barbado pointed out that globally, millions of people are fleeing their homes, with the UNHCR figures at the end of 2016 showing 65.6 million people are forcibly displaced worldwide and, of this, some 22.5 million are refugees.

He noted ten million are stateless and, of this lot, only a mere 189,300 refugees have been resettled.

Refugee policy

The UNHCR has been collaborating with the Living Water Community since 1989 and the non-governmen­tal organisation (NGO) identifies and refers persons of concern to the UNHCR.

The UNHCR also works closely with the Immigration Division of the National Security Ministry.

Barbado said Trinidad and Tobago does not have legislation to legally help refugees, but he said a refugee policy adopted in 2014 by the Cabinet envisions the Government providing recognised refugees a permit of stay, work authorisation and access to public assistance.

Trinidad and Tobago is signatory to a United Nations 1951 Convention which speaks to affording protection to refugees. The next step is to make this draft policy legislation. Barbado said other Caricom countries are looking to what Trinidad and Tobago is doing in order to replicate it and put it into practice.

He said measures are being taken to create structures to assist the Government in treating with refugees and to make way for the legislation when it reaches that point.

Mohammed said some advancement has already been made with the establish­ment of a refugee unit under the National Security Ministry, and UNHCR has been doing training of officials at the Immigration Division.

Barbado said asylum seek­­­­ers would make their way through this region to seek refuge before resettling in pla­ces such as the United States and Canada, but politi­cal changes have made less places available for resettlement.

He said there are five people at the Aripo Detention Centre who hold asylum certificates from the UNHCR.

Asked if they should be detained, Barbado noted there is no legislation, but the certificates issued by UNHCR are recognised and honoured by the Government.

Since there is no legislation ,they are still subject to the Immigration Act—the only way for them to remain in the country would be through an order of supervision.

Barbado said the UNHCR's position is to avoid people being detained as much as possible.

However, he said there would be cases where people are detained as the authori­ties seek to validate their country of origin and other information.

He said there is also a process to determine whether the person is a refugee or not and once it is determined they are, they are released.

Detention centre

Detainees at the detention centre have complained about the squalid conditions at the centre, with one case of a Chinese national attempting suicide.

There is also a case of a detainee who has been impri­soned at the detention centre for five years.

Barbado said the UNHCR is not mandated to ensure this country's detention centre is up to standards, but concerns are expressed to the Government.

There were approximately 200 detainees at the detention centre in June, and about 75 at present. Many of these people have overstayed their time and have not sought any asylum certificates.

Mohammed said Living Water has been working with Government on the order of supervision, which is an alternative to detention.

This means a person who receives such order can stay in the country, but will be required to check in with Immigration on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Questioned on reports of human trafficking, Mohammed said: “Absolutely, yes, there have been some wo­men who have come to us that may have been trafficked. There is a Counter Trafficking Unit in the country that we liaise with for these cases and they manage all cases of trafficking in the country. If there are any special, vulnerable cases we have identified, they lend as much assistance as possible.”

Barbado said there have also been cases where people have been exploited for labour.

They said the Counter Trafficking Unit has been responsive and there are cases of people charged with human trafficking going before the courts.

Mohammed said she has seen cases where people have received restraining orders as well from the police.

Living Water work

Mohammed stressed Living Water services are provided free of cost.

She said Living Water does not provide housing, but it does provide assistance for paying rent, assistance with food through its food bank and assistance with medical issues through a doctor who lends his service pro bono.

The NGO utilises funding received from UNHCR and also uses donations from the public.

She said there is Spanish-speaking staff and, therefore, aggrieved people can visit the NGO's Port of Spain office and seek assistance and also make reports.

Barbado said people who are seeking refuge do not want to leave their homes but they have no choice.

“I feel bad, I don't think that anybody should have to leave his or her home. I have hope that the rest of us human beings, we have a good side to help each other,” he said.

He said it can happen to any country as he recalled that his own homeland of Spain suffered a civil war and dictatorship.

“So in that regard, you never know when you might need to be helped. You go to your own history in Trinidad and Tobago, you had 1990 and some people at the time tried to flee, you never know when that happens to you. It's a matter of human being to human being, you should help. It is a moral imperative,” he said.

“Nobody wants to leave their homes and places of ori­gin and start from scratch in a different place, but people manage, we see they manage to rebuild their lives,” he added.

“It is important to help people rebuild their life because they want to contribute, they don't want to be a burden in any aspect, they want to contribute to the economy and be indepen­dent, and I think if we can help them achieve that, that's something that is admirable,” added Mohammed.

call to help: Ruben Barbado, protection officer at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, and Nikita Mohammed, assistant co-ordinator at Living Water, at the United Nations Port of Spain office on Friday.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Foreigners taking over jobs in T&T.
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2017, 04:48:08 AM »
Taking food out locals mouth.
By COREY CONNELLY (NEWSDAY).

President of the Public Services Association (PSA) Watson Duke’s recent uproar over a Swissport International Limited newspaper advertisement seeking non-nationals for employment with the company at the Piarco and Arthur NR International Airports has raised fresh concerns about the hiring of foreigners over citizens in the local job market.

And, with the thrust toward diversification, it also has placed renewed focus on the jobs that would enable this country to emerge from the current economic crunch and along a path to sustained growth.

Specifically, the advertisement sought foreign nationals who could speak English and work legally in Trinidad to fill positions such as passenger service agents, airport baggage and ramp handling agents, cargo agents and handlers, aviation security agents, wheelchair assistance, gas and diesel mechanics, supervisors and managers.

Duke, who also accused the company of violating the country’s labour laws, argued that these positions could easily have been filled by locals.

“Why are they allowed to box food out of one’s mouth and say it is for foreign nationals only?” he asked. “Why is it that this company is recruiting foreign nationals when there are people here who can do the same work?” Swissport Trinidad and Tobago has issued a statement, saying the company has been compliant with the country’s labour laws and regulations.

However, the company did not address specific concerns about its desire for foreign nationals to fill positions at the two airports.

The company said it was “a responsible employer” which prided itself on “its longstanding reputation as a competent and efficient provider in the service of the aeronautical industry of Trinidad and Tobago.” But president of the Federation of Independent Trade Unions (FITUN) Joseph Remy said he supported Duke’s concerns.

He described the ad as “insensitive,” saying it was published at a time when the PSA started to raise “particular issues” relating to the terms and conditions under which locals are working and the threat of job security.

“And in the face of that, you see this ad inviting foreign persons to apply for jobs in Trinidad and Tobago when there are competent local persons available to do the same jobs.” Remy said the labour movement was not against foreigners working in TT “but there has to be a policy position relative to how that is done and that policy cannot be one that will infringe on one’s constitutional rights for access to what the local economy provides.” “And, as such, we believe it was insensitive of that company to place that ad at a time when the PSA was raising some industrial relations issues because it says to us directly that the ad is in response to the concerns raised by the PSA and it is their response to the threat to withhold their labour for improved terms and conditions of employment,” he added.

Saying FITUN totally condemned the ad, Remy said the Ministries of Labour and National Security must carefully scrutinise the process for work permits in cases where foreigners have applied.

“They must note the impact it is going to have on the local labour market and the impact on the wider economy.” Remy said the jobs for which Swissport International was seeking foreigners could be accessed locally.

“There is a supply of labour for those jobs and as such, we should tap into that supply source instead of going foreign. And we believe that this is a real indictment against a sovereign nation,” he said.

“It says to us that they have no care for government policy and they feel they could come here and do what they want. And they believe that because the country is in an economically challenging time and we are looking for direct foreign investment, that they could do what they want and get away with it.” Urging the Government to stand firm on the issue, Remy said the fact that the company has placed an ad for jobs on the local market suggests, too, that educational institutions are not churning out what the local demand requires.

“That means we have a supply side situation and that is something that has to be corrected. We can’t be giving so many people tertiary education and we still have a shortage of skills sets throughout the country. Something is wrong.” According to Remy, T&T ’s labour market is in a very precarious state “because no one can put their finger on the real status of where we are in terms of what are our absolute needs and what is our supply situation.” He added: “So, we don’t know what are the key skills sets and jobs that are required to carry the economy forward and we don’t know what is the supply side of it, whether we are churning out from our secondary schools, trade schools and tertiary institutions, the requisite skills sets to match the demand of the labour market.” Remy claimed such information has not been readily available from the Ministries of Labour and Planning and Development.

Claiming that unemployment rates were increasing rapidly, the veteran trade union leader wondered what would become of graduates of secondary and tertiary institutions given the ongoing retrenchment in several sectors.

“But then you are seeing vacancies being advertised for foreigners to come in the country. That to us says that something is fundamentally wrong.

Our planning is really atrocious.” President of the Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union Vincent Cabrera claimed on Thursday that an estimated 4,000 workers have been put on the breadline since September 2016, far surpassing the period 1985 to 1993 in which close to 7,000 people were retrenched.

He feared that the rising unemployment could lead to increased criminal activity.

Remy said there was no apparent nexus between the Ministries of Labour and Planning and Development in terms of conducting a manpower analysis.

“We are in an absolute mess and nobody is taking a handle of the situation.” Remy said the National Tripartite Advisory Council, from which union leaders have temporarily suspended their involvement over the Tourism Development Company issue, would have been the think-tank to address critical labour and economic issues.

“We would have been able to provide the government with certain outputs that would have allowed them to do certain things differently. But the politicians continue to do things wrong and expect to get different results.” Technology jobs of the future But Planning and Development Minister Camille Robinson-Regis, responding to Remy’s claims, yesterday said her ministry was already carrying out an analysis of the jobs that are required to take T&T out of its economic slump.

She said the research, thus far, has shown that information communication technology, artificial intelligence and other technology-related fields will be the areas of opportunity of the future.

Robinson-Regis said jobs in the areas of human organ engineering, climate change and memory augmentation (the process by which one’s ability to retain information is increased) also will be in demand by the year 2030. “This is in the context of not only what is happening currently nationally, regionally and internationally, but what future trends indicate,” she told Sunday Newsday.

Robinson-Regis said an analysis was being carried out against the backdrop of the Government’s National Development Strategy Plan (2016- 2030) with research undertaken by the Central Statistical Office as well as through a technical cooperation agreement with the Inter-American Development Bank to conduct a Manpower Strategy for Trinidad and Tobago, part of which has already been initiated through the Global Services Promotion Programme of her ministry. Robinson- Regis said the Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise was a key partner in this exercise.

She said Government was also involved in the development of a manpower strategy at two levels – sector- specific and aggregate.

The minister said the strategy entailed relevant research and was intended to identify human capital requirements, implement actions to develop required skills and, ultimately, support the achievement of the country’s economic goals through a clear direction for the human resources of T&T moving into the future.

Robinson-Regis said another IDB project, specifically targeting the youth, also was among the ministry’s plans to support the labour sector.

“The IDB has approved a regional technical cooperation (plan) called ‘Support for Productivity and Youth Employment Initiatives in the Caribbean’ with the aim of addressing low productivity and youth unemployment,” she said.

“It is also intended to improve skills building, the labour market and will identify potential public private partnerships for youth employment.” Robinson-Regis said T&T, Jamaica, Barbados and the Bahamas have been invited to participate in the IDB-executed initiative.

She said the IDB and Ministries of Labour and Planning will be partners in this collaboration once full approval has been obtained.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Refugees in T&T.
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2018, 01:43:35 AM »
UN commission questions T&T, Venezuela agreement.
By JENSEN LA VENDE (Newsday)

82 deported

The repatriation of 82 Venezuelans has come under scrutiny as the Ministry of National Security claims the group volunteered to return to their homeland while relatives are claiming they were forced to sign documents they did not fully understand.

According to a media release from the ministry, the 82 – 53 men and 29 women – were processed on Friday after visiting the Venezuelan Embassy in Port of Spain.

Sunday Newsday visited the embassy on Friday and saw some of the men being taken in to be processed. The presence of the Venezuelans at the embassy raised another issue, this time with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) which claimed that 13 of the 82 Venezuelans were asylum-seekers and 19 others were in the process of becoming asylum-seekers.

According to the UNHCR, this breaches the Article 31 of the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees (1951 Convention), which instructs signatories “not to impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence” to people who are in need of international protection. UNHCR, in a statement, added that the mere presence of the Venezuelans at the embassy was a further breach as their request was no longer held in confidence.

“Additionally confidentiality is a well-established principle of refugee protection, requiring that information on persons in need of international protection should not be shared with their country of origin. The principles of non-penalisation, non-refoulement, and confidentiality are incorporated into the National Policy to Address Refugee and Asylum Matters in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, adopted by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago in 2014. This morning (yesterday), we sent a letter to the Chief Immigration Officer expressing our concern, requesting the release of the persons already registered with us and access to the rest to assess their needs of international protection,” UNHCR stated.

The ministry, in its release, said Venezuelan Ambassador Coromoto Godoy was at Piarco International Airport overseeing the deportation of the 82 Venezuelans. Godoy was also quoted as having spoken with Government and offered to have the detainees flown back home at an expense borne by the Venezuelan government. The 82 were being housed at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) having been sent there for various offences including illegal entry and post conviction for other criminal offences.

Sources told Sunday Newsday that some Venezuelans were arrested after they had applied for asylum and alleged their documentation was destroyed by officials before they were taken to the IDC.

UNHCR, in their statement, said, “The Government is saying people are returning voluntarily, but agreed procedures with UNHCR on the voluntary return of registered asylum-seekers are not being followed. For this to happen and relatives and friends of the concerned individuals are reporting that the persons are being forced to sign papers that they do not understand where they are saying they are returning voluntarily.”

The commission added that it is the responsibility of states not to expel or return a refugee to countries where his life or freedom would be threatened because of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

The Venezuelan aircraft arrived in TT around 10 am and left around 6 pm. The arrangement to send them back came following weeks of meetings between Government and the Venezuelan Embassy.

Sunday Newsday was initially informed that the deportation of the 82 Venezuelans was done in exchange for three fishermen arrested by Guardia Nacional two weeks ago. Government sources vehemently denied that allegation.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2018, 03:11:47 AM »
Mass deportations upset UN co-ordinator
We must protect asylum-seekers.
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

The United Nations (UN) has raised deep concerns over Saturday’s deportation of 82 Venezuelan nationals from T&T, among them asylum seekers, saying they could not verify whether it was a “voluntary repatriation” process as claimed by the Ministry of National Security.

It is also of the belief, like many locals and Venezuelan nationals here in T&T, that the T&T Government has failed the deportees and disrespected their human rights people seeking asylum and refugee status from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s regime.

In a release yesterday, United Nations (UN) Resident Coordinator Richard Blewitt said the body was concerned for the welfare of these people.

“We are in contact with the appropriate authorities in Port-of-Spain to ensure that any person in need of protection will get it without fail,” Blewitt said.

On Saturday, a Venezuelan military aircraft took 82 Venezuelan nationals – 53 men and 29 women - back home from the Piarco International Airport. Just under 40 of those 82 Venezuelans were said to have applied for asylum and refugee status in T&T, but sources said the certificates they had in their possession were allegedly disregarded by T&T Immigration officers.

In a release on Saturday, the Ministry of National Security said the Venezuelan nationals, who were being kept at the Immigration Detention Centre, were voluntarily repatriated with the assistance of the Ambassador of Venezuela to T&T, Coromoto Godoy.

Yesterday, however, Blewitt said this statement “could not be verified independently by UN observers.” He said the UN and its local partners have encouraged the prompt adoption of national legislation on refugee issues, and work together to support the T&T Government in its efforts to develop an efficient and secure asylum system.

Also addressing the issue yesterday, Ministry for Migrants and Refugees Coordinator at the Living Water Community (LWC), Rochelle Nakhid, said for almost 30 years the LWC has joyfully served asylum-seekers and refugees who have come to T&T seeking asylum from persecution.

Saying they had acted in partnership with the UN Refugee agency (UNHCR) and the T&T Government, Nakhid said, “This relationship comprises defined procedures that create a legitimate expectation of adherence to same. It is necessary to remember that seeking asylum is a humanitarian and a non-political act and one which should not be considered as unfriendly between states.”

She emphasised that non-refoulement remains a core principle of protection enshrined in refugee law and is also part of customary international law.

“It means that persons are not to be returned to where their life would be in danger. In the absence of legislation in T&T which affords other rights such as the right to work, to have identity documents and guaranteed access to social services, this protection from return appears to be at risk if parties do not acknowledge that the majority of Venezuelans are in need of protection as advocated by the UNHCR and as we witness on a daily basis,” Nakhid said.

She said the food and medicine shortages and increasing criminal activity and general instability in Venezuela have forced large numbers of them to seek refuge in neighbouring countries, including T&T.

“Many Venezuelans face a lack of documentation, sexual and gender-based violence and various forms of exploitation, including by criminal gangs. Women are at high risk of trafficking and this phenomenon is quickly worsening as criminals prey on their lack of legal status,” Nakhid said.

“True to our Catholic identity, we have heeded the call to love the stranger as ourselves and to welcome, protect, promote and integrate migrants and refugees.”

Attempts to reach National Security Minister Edmund Dillon on the issue yesterday were unsuccessful as he did not answer calls to his cellphone.

MORE INFO

In March 2018, the UN Refugee Agency published a Guidance note for states on how to treat with the outflow of Venezuelans in light of rapidly deteriorating political and socio-economic conditions.

This note advises that states apply a protection-oriented response in dealing with Venezuelans in a way that reflects an understanding of protection as a humanitarian and non-political act, and as an act of solidarity with the people of Venezuela. It asks that states find ways to facilitate access to their territory, award official documentation, grant access to basic rights and very importantly, apply a non-return principle to Venezuela, given that the majority of cases would in fact be considered as refugees under the 1984 Cartagena Declaration

A military aircraft at Piarco International Airport waiting to take Venezuelan immigrants back to their homeland . PICTURE MINISTRY OF NATIONAL SECURITY

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:40 AM »
Venezuelan deportations angers Amnesty Int’l
This cannot be repeated.
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

Amnesty International’s Americas director Erika Guevara Rosas has written to the Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley criticising the way in which 82 Venezuelan nationals were repatriated to their home country on Saturday.

Rosas’ letter came one day after a non-governmental organisation in Venezuela said it was going to lodge an official report on behalf of the 82 Venezuelans who were repatriated and as international outcry over the act intensified.

In the letter, Rosas requested information about the procedures followed by the T&T Government in carrying out the deportation. She indicated that they have received information suggesting those returned did not do so voluntarily, contrary to National Security Minister Edmund Dillon’s claims. In fact, she said they received information the deportees were presented with papers to sign “in a language they do not understand, stating that they would return voluntarily.”

“As part of the Convention relating to the Status of the Refugees (1951 Refugee Convention) and its Protocol (1967), Trinidad and Tobago is obliged to fully protect the rights of those in need of international protection,” Rosas said in her letter.

“To do otherwise implies a breach of international law and it is regrettable that your Government has chosen to ignore its obligations in a way incompatible with international human rights standards.”

Among other things, she said the deportees were “forcibly returned without an individualised assessment or having the opportunity to challenge or appeal their deportation orders, without having their legal options explained to them in a language they understand and without access to their lawyers or UNHCR, the actions of your Government have undermined due process, your Government’s own policy on asylum, and your country’s international human rights obligations. This cannot be repeated.”

Rosas explained that mass deportations are prohibited under international law, as is the violation of the principles of non-refoulement, confidentiality, non-penalisation and the right to due process and judicial protection.

She disclosed that based on the information Amnesty International received, it appeared the T&T Government chose to ignore each one of these key protection principles.

“Questions remain as to why a government that should protect refugees and asylum seekers as part of its international obligations offered confidential information to the Venezuelan authorities, and deported asylum seekers with open refugee claims back to their country where they may face torture or other grave human rights violations,” Rosas told Rowley.

“Trinidad and Tobago must guarantee the rights of the growing number of asylum seekers and refugees from Venezuela in need of international protection, whose hope for survival are increasingly in countries such as yours. To fail to do so is to ignore your country’s commitment and international obligations to protecting human rights.”

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Assistant High Commissioner for Protection Volker Türk yesterday also expressed deep regret over the deportations. He described sending back those who applied for refugee status as a “breach of international refugee law.” He also said some of them were deported from T&T despite the UNHCR’s request for access to them concerned and written interventions.

“The forced return of this group is of great concern,” Türk said.

“UNHCR calls on Trinidad and Tobago to continue to abide by its international obligations as signatories to the 1951 Refugee Convention and other applicable international instruments that are incorporated into its official Refugee Policy, in particular the principle of non-return, known as non-refoulement, and Article 31 of the Convention which requests signatories “not to impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence” to people who are in need of international protection.”

UN Resident Co-ordinator Richard Blewitt meanwhile called on Government to speed up work on the asylum/refugee policy he said has been at the Attorney General’s (AG) office for the past 12 months.

“The Government has worked on the policy quite diligently and in the last 12 months. It is now at the AG’s office and the final draft is almost ready to go to Parliament and I will urge the Government to take this moment to put this legislation in place. The Opposition must support it,” Blewitt said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2018, 01:36:26 AM »
Unfounded repatriation claims taint T&T’s image
Rowley bouffs UN
By Shaliza Hassanali (Guardian).

An angry Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley yesterday said he intends to write the United Nations (UN) to complain about this country’s local UN representative’s comments about the recent repatriation of 82 Venezuelans.

The repatriation process, which saw a Venezuelan military aircraft landing at the Piarco International Airport to take the nationals back to their homeland, drew criticism from UN Resident Coordinator Richard Blewitt. T&T also faced an outcry and heavy criticism for the repatriation.

But at yesterday’s post-Cabinet press briefing art the Diplomatic Centre, Rowley said he was very satisfied how Government handled the repatriation. He said T&T was governed by laws, while we are a generous and caring people “and we demonstrated that over and over again” by opening our doors to Venezuela.

Addressing Blewitt’s comments directly, Rowley said he would not allow anyone to paint a different story of our country.

“We will not allow, without protest, public servants from any international agency to misrepresent our circumstances to the world and stay in Trinidad and Tobago. Against that background, I as Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago will, under my hand, write a complaint to the United Nations at its headquarters about the conduct of persons who take it upon themselves to speak about Trinidad and Tobago.”

The PM said he intended to defend T&T’s reputation, hence the reason why he would stand his ground on the issue. As a member of the UN, Rowley said T&T has been very careful and responsible in carrying out its affairs. But he said the image painted was that T&T behaved in a unbecoming manner, which was the furthest from the truth.

“If officers of the United Nations are to talk about Trinidad and Tobago, especially those who are in Trinidad and Tobago and know our circumstances, then the least we can expect from them is to stay with the facts.”

He also said he would not allow UN representatives to make T&T into a refugee camp, noting T&T’s relationship with Venezuela was based on mutual friendship. Rowley said he had not spoken to Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on the heated issue.

As Venezuela faces an economic crisis, Rowley said there are arrangements in place to allow their nationals to come here to obtain food and medical supplies, following which they would leave. However, he said as the crisis worsened there, there was now a proliferation of Venezuelans entering our shores illegally.

He said many Venezuelans had come through the back door and continued to stay illegally. Rowley said people who knew of illegal Venezuelans exploited them for cheap labour, prostitution and all manner of evil. He said there were also those who came with guns and ammunition.

At one point, Rowley said T&T had been accused of being “too caring” by allowing Venezuelans into our shores.

“Let me draw to the attention of those who have a lot to say, the people who were in those detention centres were not put there because they were Venezuelans. They were put there because they ran afoul of the laws of T&T. And it hurts me when people in this country appoint themselves spokespersons for our country that have nothing good to say about this place and seek to put us in the worst possible light where our interest is not defended.”

Promising to guard the country zealously, Rowley said they have been handling the situation carefully because if Government didn’t “it could create serious problems for us. There are people who want us to join them in invading Venezuela, we are not doing that.”

He added that economic migrants do not “easily qualify” for refugee status.

As for Amnesty International’s Erika Guevara Rosas, who also criticised the way in which the Venezuela nationals were repatriated, Rowley said that was better left unsaid.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
A lot of emphasis on image in the PM's comments, but not much on process. Where's the beef?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
Hence the image issue ...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »
What you mean by image and process.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2018, 05:42:45 AM »
What you mean by image and process.

Well for one, do we really need a camera in the situation above?

1]; } ?>