March 28, 2024, 04:06:38 PM

Author Topic: Refugees & Illegals in T&T Thread.  (Read 33116 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Refugees & Illegals in T&T Thread.
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:41:44 AM »
Stay out! - 13 Jamaicans turned away from Trinidad
By Karyl Walker (Jamaica Observer)

IN a direct breach of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas, and a snub of a recent ruling by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), Trinidadian immigration officers denied 13 Jamaicans entry into that country on Tuesday night, detained them and sent them back home on the first flight yesterday morning.

The Jamaicans were angry when the Jamaica Observer spoke to them immediately after they were processed by immigration officials at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston yesterday afternoon.

They said that their passports were confiscated by the Trinidadians and they were ordered to sit on a wooden bench throughout the night before they were rudely bundled on a Caribbean Airlines flight on which the majority of the Reggae Boyz football team were being flown home after their friendly match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Among those turned away from her fellow Caribbean Community (Caricom) state was Anne Gordon, who was given the task of chaperoning an 11-year-old girl to see her father who resides in that country with his Trinidadian wife. However, both Gordon and the girl were denied entry, despite carrying Caricom passports.

"She cried all night. They just took our passports and told us we did not meet their entry requirements. If her father lives there why did they refuse the child the chance to see her father?" Gordon questioned.

The child was picture of dejection. "I don't see my father since last year," she said.

In a recent ruling in the landmark case involving Shanique Myrie against the Barbadian Government, the CCJ ruled that where a Caricom national is refused entry into a member state, that national should be given the opportunity to consult an attorney or a consular official of his or her country, or to contact a family member.

The Jamaicans said that they were not allowed to contact anybody nor were they even allowed to use their cellular phones to contact the persons who were waiting outside the Piarco Airport to receive them. They also claimed they were threatened that their phones would be ceased if they attempted to use them.

"When I gave them the number of my sister-in-law, the woman (immigration officer) pretended to make a call and then told me that it was a man on the other end. While she did that I called my sister-in-law, who had invited me to visit her, and got her. I tried to give the immigration officer the phone but she said she was not talking to anyone," Onicia Robinson, one of the Jamaicans denied entry to Trinidad, said.

When the Observer contacted Robinson's sister-in-law, Gillian Leben, she confirmed that she was not contacted by any immigration official in regards to her receiving Robinson. "I was outside the airport with a taxi to pick her up until 4:00 this morning (yesterday) and my phone did not ring. No one contacted me," Leben said.

The CCJ had also ruled that member states should give, promptly and in writing, reasons for refusing entry to Caricom nationals. The receiving state is also obliged to inform the refused national of his or her right to challenge the decision.

The Jamaicans claimed that this was not done, saying that they were threatened to sign a refusal of entry form or spend the night in jail.

"I did not sign any form and I saw when the woman sign the form for me," said Cassandara Douse, who was among the 13.

For Omar Campbell the denial of entry was particularly painful. Campbell showed stamps in his passport to show that he had spent 10 months in that country and to compound matters he is married to a Trinidadian woman. He showed his marriage certificate to prove his claim. "To make matters worse, yesterday was my wife's birthday," Campbell said with a sad look on his face.

The Jamaicans also complained that they were verbally abused and told they were being turned back because of the recent murder of Trinidadian national Keron Fraser, whose body was found in a shallow grave at Duncan's Pen in Spanish Town, St Catherine, recently.

Fraser disappeared on October 18, two days after he arrived in the island from Trinidad.

Police said that, upon arriving in the island on October 16, Fraser, who was in with a female companion, rented a motor vehicle and headed towards an undisclosed location in Clarendon. He was reported missing two days later.

According to the police, a few days after Fraser's disappearance, two men were detained by the police after they were intercepted in the motor car which he had rented. The vehicle had bloodstains, the police said.

In addition, the Jamaicans said they were only given two minutes to use the bathroom when they requested to do so, and security officials followed them to the bathroom.

"They sat and watched us all night and said we are prisoners. Dem don't like Jamaicans and say dem turn us back because we kill Trini in our country," June Henry, who said she was visiting the twin-island republic for a three-week vacation.

The Jamaicans also complained that they were extremely uncomfortable sitting up all night after more than eight hours of travel.

"I had to sleep on a carpet, and we got some raw tasting chicken about 3:00 am," Jodian Davidson said.

For years, Jamaicans have complained that they have been subjected to sub-standard treatment at the hands of Trinidadian airport officials and have advocated a boycott of goods from that country as retaliation for the xenophobic behaviour of the Eastern Caribbean nationals.

Jamaica is a major market for Trinidadian goods and a number of Trinidadians have worked and lived in the country without hassle and in accordance with free movement within Caricom.

A passenger who travelled on the same flight with the denied Jamaicans told the Observer that an airline official informed him that last week 26 Jamaicans were turned back from Trinidad.

There was, however, no confirmation.

A security guard at the Norman Manley International Airport said that he had overheard a number of Jamaicans returning from Trinidad complaining of bad treatment at the hands of Trinidadian officials.

Yesterday, Jamaica's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade raised concerns about the number of Jamaicans who have been denied entry to the twin islands in recent times.

"The ministry is concerned at this development and continues to interface with the relevant authorities in Trinidad and Tobago on the matter, including in the light of the Shanique Myrie ruling by the Caribbean Court of Justice," it said in a release.

Airline tickets to Trinidad and Tobago cost between US$520 and US$750 depending on when the ticket is purchased.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stay out! - 13 Jamaicans turned away from Trinidad
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
Let's hear the other side of this story before we start pelting aspersions. What the Minister has to say.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Not good!!
Is this a new PP government policy being executed?
Would be interesting to hear if the same thing is happening to Guyanese as well.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
So what were the officers' instructions? Were they acting on orders or because they feel like it?
This is shameful

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
Why are Jamaicans turned back everywhere?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:50 PM »
Dem too facety?

Also, I guess is not just de local press lapsing...

The Jamaicans said that they were not allowed to contact anybody nor were they even allowed to use their cellular phones to contact the persons who were waiting outside the Piarco Airport to receive them. They also claimed they were threatened that their phones would be ceased if they attempted to use them.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
Not good!!
Would be interesting to hear if the same thing is happening to Guyanese as well.
just the indian ones
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
Not good!!
just the indian ones
How do you know that?
The only way that will make sense for consistency is if all the Jamaicans who got turned away from T&T were Indo-Jamaicans.
Do you know if any of the Jamaicans who got turned away were Indo-Jamaicans out of interest?
And are you trying to imply that T&T currently has an anti-Indian government because the last time I checked the UNC was the main player in the PP coalition government.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:15:56 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
Disgraceful. If there aren't sacking over this then be careful on your travels

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:55 AM »
If the statements as rendered bear veracity, serious consequences should flow.

It is not the remit of immigration officers to make government policy or to engage in actions akin to government policy, or in actions bearing the effect of retaliatory/protesting government action (for instance, such as when governments recall and expel diplomats).

Unfortunately, arbitrary action by immigration personnel is a longstanding area in which abuse of discretion has been kindled by thin skins, petit nationalism and ignorance. Fortunately, we (Caribbean people) are the people we are ... because in other parts of the world, actions such as alleged would have sparked irreparable social upheaval (and would have done so without any confirmation as to truth or falsehood).

However, the truth is it isn't merely a question as to the disposition of Caribbean people. It's also that we don't share borders and are insulated by water. If Jamaica shared a land border with Trinidad & Tobago, see what would have happened next!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:48:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:10:25 AM »
Jamaicans, Indians (from India) and Nigerians are the worst you could ever let in your country. They will run it down.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
Not good!!
just the indian ones
How do you know that?
The only way that will make sense for consistency is if all the Jamaicans who got turned away from T&T were Indo-Jamaicans.
Do you know if any of the Jamaicans who got turned away were Indo-Jamaicans out of interest?
And are you trying to imply that T&T currently has an anti-Indian government because the last time I checked the UNC was the main player in the PP coalition government.

do i really need to explain the response to your comment.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
Jamaicans, Indians (from India) and Nigerians are the worst you could ever let in your country. They will run it down.

Sam, you better than that, man!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
Not good!!
just the indian ones
How do you know that?

do i really need to explain the response to your comment.
Yes you do!
Where did you get your info from and how do you know that it is just Indo Guyanese who are being turned away if the same thing is regularly happening to Guyanese that recently happened to the Jamaicans trying to enter T&T?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:09:44 AM by Socapro »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »

dude what are you saying...i don't know about yardies but indians and nigerians are some of the most entrepreneurial folks out there...also they export loads of professionals in all fields, i for one had a nigerian doctor when i lived in tnt...and that was about 20 yrs ago; also my pardna's mom was a doctor and she was originally from india but settled in trinidad.   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
There is now a boycott on in JA not to buy our goods and not to come to Carnival.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
There is now a boycott on in JA not to buy our goods and not to come to Carnival.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20131125/lead/lead1.html
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

Weary for years in T.O. I have been hearing Jamaicans calling for boycott of anything Trini. The funny thing is that most of their posters claim that our products are inferior to theirs , Trinidadians are jealous of Jamaican success, Trini's have an inferiority complex and all sorts of petty foolishness not worth posting.   But very few are asking if the 13 had the right documents to be allowed entry. Not hearing anyone complain about the hundreds that are refused by U.S.A , Canada our UK. I want to see how long this foolishness will last.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »

Weary for years in T.O. I have been hearing Jamaicans calling for boycott of anything Trini. The funny thing is that most of their posters claim that our products are inferior to theirs , Trinidadians are jealous of Jamaican success, Trini's have an inferiority complex and all sorts of petty foolishness not worth posting.   But very few are asking if the 13 had the right documents to be allowed entry. Not hearing anyone complain about the hundreds that are refused by U.S.A , Canada our UK. I want to see how long this foolishness will last.

Good question is our fault they doh manufacture nutten.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
 :yawning:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
Did the flight originate in Jamaica? Were the deported 13, the only Jamaicans on the flight?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »

Let dem boycott our cheap gas and oil too. Let them boycott the aid we give them through the CDB damn fools
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:41 AM »
heard that they entered the country with nothing much with them, as in no kinda money or anything to suggest it was ah vacation type trip they come on
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
17,000 ILLEGALS
By MIRANDA LA ROSE Tuesday, November 26 2013

AMID reports of growing anger and threats of boycotting TT goods in Jamaica, after 12 nationals of that country were last week barred from entering this country, comes startling revelations from the National Security Minister that close to 17,000 Jamaican nationals are staying illegally in Trinidad and Tobago as their entry certificates have expired.

Documents sent to Newsday from the Office of the Chief Immigration Officer Keith Sampson revealed that for this year, as of November 21, 16,958 Jamaicans are staying illegally in this country.

National Security Minister Gary Griffith last night told Newsday if these undocumented and unregistered Jamaicans are working to maintain themselves, this means they are depriving the state of an estimated $700 million in taxes annually.

According to information from the Ministry of National Security, 81 Jamaicans remain in detention at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in Aripo while to date, for this year, 66 Jamaicans have been repatriated.

The argument that Jamaicans were being denied entry into this country, Griffith said, is patently false given the high numbers admitted over the past four years and the refusal rate being under five percent annually.

“To date 96 percent of Jamaicans have been allowed free entry into this country and if they want a 100 percent entry rate, it means there will be no need for scrutiny by immigration officers,” Griffith said. Reports from out of Jamaica are that TT Immigration Division refused Jamaica nationals entry into TT, in breach of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas which allows for free movement of CARICOM nationals among CARICOM Member States.

The claims are being made against the background of 12 Jamaicans being denied entry on November 19. “The suggestion that Jamaicans are being targetted by TT officials is without basis,” a senior official at the Immigration Department told Newsday.

According to statistics from the National Security Ministry, from 2010 to the present, the Immigration Division report on the number of Jamaicans granted and refused entry noted as being 13,534 (96 percent) Jamaicans were admitted and 594 (or four percent) being refused entry.

In 2010, 10,993 Jamaicans were allowed into TT while 371 were refused (a 3.3 percent refusal rate); in 2011, 13,964 were allowed entry while 597 were denied entry (a 4.1 percent refusal rate); in 2012, 15,871 were admitted while 400 were refused entry (a 2.6 percent refusal rate) and for this year, 13,534 Jamaicans have been allowed into this country as opposed to 594 being denied entry — a 4.2 percent refusal rate.

Efforts to contact Jamaica’s High Commissioner Paula Saunders yesterday at the Jamaican High Commission in Port-of-Spain were futile and calls were not returned.

According to Immigration Division sources the 12 Jamaicans denied entry on November 19 were denied for reasons such as no host (person they will stay with while in TT), no funds, relatives living illegally in TT and previous overstaying illegally in TT.

Immigration sources have complained of the department being short staffed and its Investigations Unit being, “overwhelmed by the number of reports of illegal immigrants received daily.” Griffith told Newsday that the immigration officers have, “separate and legitimate reasons why each of the 12 Jamaicans were sent home” on November 19.

Expressing concern about the number of illegal persons living in TT, Griffith said, “We don’t know if they have turned to a life of crime, if they are begging for money on the streets, or if they have become dependent on the State’s social services.”

Meanwhile, Jamaica’s Minister of Foreign Affairs AJ Nicholson has asked TT’s Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran to visit Jamaica to discuss the situation even as several groups in Jamaica have threatened to boycott the purchase of goods imported from Trinidad. TT’s Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is the current head of Caricom.

Anthony Hylton, Jamaicas’ Minister of Industry, Investments and Commerce said while Jamaicans boycotting Trini goods is not the way that country’s Government wants to express its concern over the issue, he said this is a reflection of the outrage being felt by Jamaicans on their country being sent back home.

“We recognise that we have a population that is very incensed by what has happened. I think both governments need to act and act very quickly to deal with a matter that could well go beyond government control,” Hylton said.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
What they go boycott Appletons and AirJamaica?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
Dookeran heads to Jamaica for talks
By Derek Achong (Guardian)

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says she has advised Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran to accept an invitation from Jamaica to discuss the recent deportation of 13 of their nationals from T&T last week. “A letter came today of invitation from Jamaica and I have advised him to accept the invitation and to go to Jamaica and speak with his counterparts there,” Persad-Bissessar said. She made the statement while addressing reporters after the unveiling of a new police station in Arima yesterday. 

Persad-Bissessar could not give the exact date Dookeran will fly to Jamaica, but said she believed that dialogue was the best way to the resolve the issue. “It appears, from the letter of invitation, Jamaica is open to dialogue, as we are, and therefore I am not of the respectful view that our diplomatic relations have deteriorated,” she said.

When asked about reports of Jamaicans being encouraged to boycott products from T&T, she said: “It is something we would not like see happen, in the same way I am sure Jamaica won’t like to see T&T boycott Jamaican goods, because we are all members of Caricom and I’m sure dialogue is the best way forward rather than dropping blows.”

Persad-Bissessar said from the information she received from National Security Minister Gary Griffith, she believed the immigration officers who took the decision were acting within their discretion. “It seems so far, from the briefing received from immigration through Minister Griffith, that T&T has been well within its discretionary powers in terms of refusing entry or disallowing it, until any further evidence may come forward,” she said.

While referring to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) judgment in the case of Jamaican national Shanique Myrie against the Barbadian government, Persad-Bissessar said although there was a provision for granting Caricom nationals an automatic six-month stay upon entry, there were certain exceptions to the rule.

“There is no blanket acceptance of a Caricom national coming into T&T,” she said. The said from her understanding of the judgment, immigration officials may refuse a Caricom national entry if the individual is blacklisted or if they suspect that they (the individual) would be a “charge on the public purse.” “There is a procedure that should be followed if one is refused entry, so we are looking into all of that with a view of upholding the law as pronounced upon by the CCJ,” she said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:48 AM »
PM STANDS FIRM
...backs decision to deport 13 Jamaicans
By Joel Julien (Express).

TRINIDAD and Tobago did absolutely nothing wrong in the matter involving the deportation of 13 Jamaican nationals from this country last week, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said.

This according to the official report from this country’s Immigration Division that was presented to her through National Security Minister Gary Griffith, Persad-Bissessar said yesterday.

“Until any further evidence comes forward based on that report it appears we are in compliance with the law,” Persad-Bissessar said yesterday.

Persad-Bissessar has, however, advised Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran to travel to Jamaica in order to have discussions with his “counterparts” there to address the issue.

She has also signalled her intention to hold discussions with Trade Minister Vasant Bharath over the threat of a boycott of Trinidad and Tobago products in Jamaica in response to the matter.

Persad-Bissessar made the statements following the official hand-over ceremony of the Arima Police Station yesterday.

“I have advised Minister Dookeran to accept the invitation, a letter came (yesterday) of invitation from Jamaica to Minister Dookeran and I have asked him to accept that invitation to speak with his counterparts there,” Persad-Bissessar said yesterday.

The invitation to Dookeran from Jamaica came in the wake of 13 Jamaican nationals being deported after being denied entry into this country last week.

The 13 Jamaicans were not allowed to leave the Piarco International Airport after landing there last week Tuesday.

Reports from Jamaica state Trinidad and Tobago’s Immigration Division refused their nationals entry into this country in breach of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas which allows for free movement of Caribbean Community (Caricom) nationals among Caricom Member States.

Persad-Bissessar yesterday referenced the recent ruling by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) in the Shanique Myrie case to highlight this county’s adherence to all rules.

Myrie had filed a lawsuit against the Barbados government, claiming that on March 14, 2011, she was made to undergo a painful and humiliating body cavity search by a Barbadian border official upon her arrival at the Sir Grantley Adams International Airport from Jamaica.

On October 4, the CCJ awarded Myrie, 25, was a total of Bds$77,240 (TT$232,000) of the Bds$1 million (TT$3.2 million) she had initially sought.

She was awarded costs for the money spent on having an attorney represent her in the case.

Persad-Bissessar said following the CCJ’s ruling in the Myrie matter Caricom issued some guidelines to all the governments of Members States but there are discretions that can be exercised by Immigration officials.

“There are exceptions in terms of when you can refuse entry. Basically, there are several areas which can allow you the authority or the jurisdiction not to grant admission,” Persad-Bissessar said.

Persad-Bissessar said two of these are if the person is blacklisted or if they will be a “charge” on this country’s economy.

“The (immigration) officer then has discretion if this person is coming here to become a charge on the public purse, in other words does he have somewhere to stay, does he have sufficient money for the length of his visit,” Persad-Bissessar said.

“There is no blanket acceptance but there is also, I am being advised, a procedure if you are to refuse entry, there is a suggested procedure that should be followed. So we will be looking into all of that with the view of course of upholding the law as pronounced upon by the Caribbean Court of Justice,” she said.

Persad-Bissessar said according to the official information she has received so far, Trinidad and Tobago acted legally.

“It seems thus far from what I have been briefed but I make no pronouncements, it seems thus far from the briefing received from Immigration through Minister Griffith that Trinidad and Tobago has been well within its discretionary powers in terms of refusing entry or disallowing until any further evidence may come forward based on that report it appears we are in compliance with the law,” she said.
Persad-Bissessar said she would not want to say anything further on the specific matter until it is investigated.

In response to the deportation of the 13, there have been calls for a boycott of Trinidad and Tobago products in Jamaica.

“It is not something we will like to see happen at all, the same way I am sure Jamaica would not like Trinidad and Tobago to boycott Jamaican goods because we are all members of Caricom and I am sure dialogue is the best way forward,” she said.

Persad-Bissessar said she was uncertain that “diplomatic relations” between Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica have “deteriorated” as a result of the situation.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 05:04:24 AM »
“It seems thus far from what I have been briefed but I make no pronouncements, it seems thus far from the briefing received from Immigration through Minister Griffith that Trinidad and Tobago has been well within its discretionary powers in terms of refusing entry or disallowing until any further evidence may come forward based on that report it appears we are in compliance with the law,” she said.

PMs ought to be cautious in making pronouncements ... even in coming to the brink of tacitly making them.

At this point, the PM's posture on this matter is clear. If you want wiggle room, approach the matter differently rather than deflecting to squeeze your advisors in the event unhelpful revelations emerge subsequently.

There seems to be a lot of unscripted, off the cuff "pronouncements" emanating from the Hon. PM.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:30:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
Like Facebook delete the Boycott page.  ::)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »
T&T wrong to detain and deport Jamaicans
ByAnthony Wilson (Guardian).

Last week Tuesday, immigration officers at Piarco detained and deported 12 Jamaicans based on the failed attempts by those officers to contact local hosts of the Jamaicans, conflicting information from the deported Jamaicans and their hosts, and hosts residing illegally in T&T, among other reasons.

That act by the T&T immigration officers, quite predictably, has led to calls in Jamaica for T&T products to be the subject of a boycott in the north Caribbean state.

On the T&T side, both the Minister of National Security Gary Griffith and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar have defended the actions of the officers.

“It seems so far, from the briefing received from immigration through Minister Griffith, that T&T has been well within its discretionary powers in terms of refusing entry or disallowing it, until further evidence may come forward,” said the Prime Minister on Tuesday, in answering questions from reporters at the official opening of a new police station in Arima.

The detention and deportation of the 12 Jamaicans is an important issue for the T&T business community because of the vast investment that T&T firms have in Jamaica and the fact that Jamaica is an important destination for T&T manufactured products.

The issue of the detention and deportation of regional nationals is also important because it has the ability to stain T&T’s reputation as a country that upholds the law, is respectful of regional institutions and rights and does not discriminate against Caricom nationals.

1]; } ?>